Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding issue

Options
  • 10-10-2007 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hello All,

I'm having a bit of trouble with opening ports on my home setup and cannot see the issue clearly.

Have a Dynalink RTA1320 Adsl modem picking up the internet with no issue and it has a lan IP of 192.168.1.1 . Also has DHCP setup on it.

Connected to this modem is my wireless router - Netgear Wgr614v7. I am not connected wirelessly so that is not the problem and the interent comes through it fine except when trying to setup port forwarding or open ports for Azureus.

The Router has assigned itself an ip address of 10.0.0.1 and also has DHCP setup for a 10.0.0.0 range.

UPnp is enabled on both the modem and router and the port 16995 has been port forwarded on the router and ports opened on the winxp firewall. There is not firewall enabled on the modem and none visible on the router.

Azurues has been binded to the pc's ipaddress and assigned the port 16995 but when i test i get the error -

"Testing port 16995 ...
    NAT Error - Connect attempt to <ISP IP ADDRESS>:16995 (your computer) timed out after 20 seconds. This means your port is probably closed
    Proxy IP is '<ISP IP ADDRESS>', original is '<ISP IP ADDRESS> ('Forwarded-For' request header was '<ISP IP ADDRESS>')."

Any port that i setup in the router for port forwarding is not opening and i cannot get a good connection for NAT.

Can anyone guide me on cleaning up the setup as i thing the 2 dhcp ranges may be causing problems. Also when i try to setup the router with a 192.168.1.0 range i cannot get a internet connection.

Also just turning the dhcp off on the router does not help as the ip address are not getting assigned to my pc from the modem through the router.

i have also tried setting up a static address on my pc to access the router when dhcp is turned off but it will not connected - the router sets itself an ip adress of 10.0.0.1 and when i change this to an address fronm the modems dhcp range(192.168.1.2) it does not seem to make any difference.

Please advise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Energizer wrote:
    Also just turning the dhcp off on the router does not help as the ip address are not getting assigned to my pc from the modem through the router

Check if the wireless router can be used as a bridge - this will allow DHCP traffic through to/from the ADSL router. If not, then you'll have to make sure the relevant port is forwarded on both routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Should i turn dhcp off on the modem and then do i need to setup a bridge to the router and use dhcp on that?

Do i need to change the dhcp range on the router from 10.0.0.1 range to a range in the same subnet as the modem 192.168.1.1?

And do i need to setup a static ip?

The current ip address of the router is 10.0.0.1 and whenever i change this it won't let me back in.

Sorry for all the questions, alot of this is me writing the issue out to sort it in my head. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Energizer wrote: »
    Should i turn dhcp off on the modem and then do i need to setup a bridge to the router and use dhcp on that?

No, you want the ADSL router to provide DHCP services, and for the wireless router to pass this DHCP traffic through. DHCP should not be active on the wireless router. Of course, you need to make sure that the wireless router is capable of bridging in the first place.

First step: Find out for certain if your wireless router can be used as a bridge.

By the way, I'm assuming you've researched and are comfortable with the various security issues to be considered when running a wireless network...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Thanx for the advice. Ye i know about wireless networks being easily hackable but its sadly the only viable option in my house.

So when i setup a bridge(If possible) between the adsl router and wireless router do i need to set static ip address on the wireless router or will it pickup one from the dhcp on the adsl router?

Advertisement