Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a 'joke'

Options
  • 10-10-2007 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Ok Ill be talking at a wedding and I want to say something along the lines of ...

'We all know that the first time a guy meets the parents of the girl he's seeing is a very daunting occassion. So much so that they made a very successful movie starring Robert De Niro on the premise.... '

Now I was going to say 'Goodfellas' or something other than the expected 'Meet the Parents'

Can anyone think of anything funny :)
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm sure we can come up with something but for it to work you will probably need to be able to do a passable De Niro / Italian accent. Practice in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Cape Fear?

Mad Dog and Glory?

Guilty by Suspicion?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Here's his filmography, hope it helps -
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000134/

Heh ... Shark Tale

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks guys.

I've gone through the list of films and I'm still stuck.

The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle?
    :)

I just don't know if any of them work though, you know?

Cape Fear?

Mad Dog and Glory?

Guilty by Suspicion?

On second thoughts Cape Fear does sound good.

I could go with Mad Dog and Glory but I don't know how pleased the parents of the bride would be :)

M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

'We all know that the first time a guy meets the parents of the girl he's seeing is a very daunting occassion. So much so that they made a very successful movie starring Robert De Niro on the premise.... Guilty by Suspicion' - It's not a well known movie though.

What about using Ben Stiller saying something like...

'We all know that the first time a guy meets the parents of the girl he's seeing is a very daunting occassion, look at the films 'Meet The Parents' and 'Meet the Fockers'. It was actually a Ben Stiller film that popped into my head when I thought of John meetings Mary's parents.... 'Night at the Museum'

Yeah Mr Magnolia I thought of going the Ben Stiller route.

I even thought of the 'made in 2000' route.

Turns out Mission Impossilble II came out that year :)

Ok

*racks brain*

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Could we have some background on the parents jobs, where they are from?
    It might help

When i saw her ma, I knew suddenly where she had got her looks from - Predator

Although that may get you excommunicated, and probably hunted down.

We all know that the first time a guy meets the parents of the girl he's seeing is a very daunting occassion. So much so that they made a very successful movie on the premise in 2001 ... the Perfect Storm.

Ah I just don't know if I can make this joke funny now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

mathie wrote:
    Ah I just don't know if I can make this joke funny now!

Don't give up, your on to something there.

We all know that the first time a guy meets the parents of the girl he's seeing is a very daunting occassion. So much so that they made a very successful movie on the premise in the 1970's ... the Texas chainsaw Massacre.

Another one for excommunication..

We all know that the first time a guy meets the parents of the girl he's seeing is a very daunting occassion. So much so that they made a very successful movie on the premise in 2005 ... Monster-In-Law

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Just a thought but could you change it to be a four way thing like
    the first time a guy meets the parents and be a daunting experience while he was thinking of the film " CAPE FEAR "
    she is thinking "A WONDERFUL LIFE "
    the mother's thinking "PRINCESS DIARIES"
    and the father's thinking "ENEMY AT THE GATE"

could probably get better films with more thought and time .but its just an idea may or may not help ,sometimes different angles work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

How about the first time he met her mother, it reminded him of ...............
    Raging Bull!!! Great deNiro movie, and the title makes it funny (ish)..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

How about.
    We all know that the first time a guy meets the parents of the girl he's seeing is a very daunting occassion. So much so that they made a very successful movie on the premise in the 1970's ... Debbie does Dallas(or wherever they are from).

Would be great if the mum's name was Debbie and they lived in Pallaskenry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

mathie wrote:
    Ok Ill be talking at a wedding and I want to say something along the lines of ...

'We all know that the first time a guy meets the parents of the girl he's seeing is a very daunting occassion. So much so that they made a very successful movie starring Robert De Niro on the premise.... '

Now I was going to say 'Goodfellas' or something other than the expected 'Meet the Parents'

Can anyone think of anything funny :)
    M
    Taxi Driver :D

Advertisement