Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclists? Helmets???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Automan wrote:
    Dont see were im contradicting myself point was that its easier and not as dangerous to cycle around pedestrians than it is to drive around cyclists during heavy traffic. And I dont agree with pedestrians using the cycle path at all.

But you admit there is a problem with pedestrians on the cycle path? So instead of taking the relatively safer option of cycling on the road, you expect them (us) to cycle on the cycle path at pedestrian speeds and swerve out onto the grass which is both much more physically demanding but also makes it harder to spot things like glass which can puncture tires.

It's not ideal having traffic types mixed (that's the whole idea of having footpath, cycle lane and road) but when it doesn't work, people take the route which minimises the changes of being hurt and hurting others. For cyclists, the safest place is the road because they can't hurt pedestrians and they're reasonably unlikely to be hurt by cars. Drivers might not like this but if the system isn't working, what do they expect? They can bitch and moan but they still have to live in the real world. I don't like car drivers dumping their cars on the side of the road blocking the cycle lane but I understand why they do it (generally lack of parking or they didn't realise).
    Dont see how it is Irrelevant, you said "A pedestrian can sidestep at a moments notice." A cyclist can easily swerve out when they see a shore / bad part of road / rocks etc.. this cannot always be predicted by a driver so it is unpredictable. Also some cyclist go into there own little world and verge out from the curb.

He was explaining why cyclists don't want to cycle past pedestrians who, unlike cars, have the ability to stop without brake lights and can step sideways. He was trying to explain to you why it's not safe but you countered with a criticism of cyclists which was unrelated to his point. Yes cyclists can be unpredictable but what does that have to do with avoiding pedestrians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

I have been cycling in the px park for the last 3 years and never use the main road or the cycle paths because Im convinced the pedestrians see you coming and refuse to move due to pure ignorance (even though its a cycle lane??). Ive gotten the usual abuse too..'Who do you think you are!' , 'Fu**in cyclists' etc. Instead I use the route around by the old magazine fort, its much quieter. Dangerous\ careless motorists, pedestrians and cyclists is just a fact of life and is here to stay. Some people simply dont care.
    met a guy in a job i was in a few years back who had to cylce throught the phonix park a few mornings a week. he took to carrying a gas fog horn and blasting pedestrians out of it when they refused to move. he said he couldnt really do it to the over 50s for fear of them having a heart attack.:p he said it worked a treat.

Advertisement