Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of Advice...

Options
  • 10-10-2007 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey lads.
    An idiot best friend of mine told me today that she made up her mind to get a tattoo of an Irish flag and IRA.

I tried to explain how thick that is.
    But after a couple of minutes i got frustrated and just stopped trying.

Anyone have anything else i can throw at her to help her to cop on to herself?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Some people need to learn the hard way tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

yeah if shes made up her mind theres not much you can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Sadly this is just a case of your friend thinks that the Irish flag and IRA would be great and you (quite rightly IMO) don't, short of convincing them that the tricolour and IRA aren't as amazing as they seem to think you haven't a hope of stopping them from getting the tattoo. Just console yourself with the thought that at least you get dibs on first in with "I told you so" when they realise the terrible mistake (if they ever do that is...).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ask them which of the deaths on either side is it that she approves of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

If it's her 'Irishness' she wants to portray in a tattoo try suggesting other Irish symbols....

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Get them to talk to a tattoo Artist, who will maybe show them something much nicer that they will like more... either that or just grin and bear it... its their body and all that *cringe*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

maybe suggest to her something like a United Irishmen symbol, something like

united.irishmen.gif

or

image_medium?asset_id=7032

harp.gif

i have no idea why that one came out as a link and not an image... the codes and everything are right.

or

erin.gif

or maybe something relating to the IRB, the Fenians, the 1798 (Wexford) Rebellion, the 1803 one, actually, if i remember correctly, Father Murphy (1798) carried a nice "Liberty or Death" flag which was white on green, with a Catholic cross on it, you could work with that a lot.

basically, try to lead her away from tatooing an illegal terrorist organisation's title on herself. if she agrees with their principles, there were many throughout history who now, are regarded as heroes and martyrs. today's organisation is regarded as a terrorist one by the vast majority, particularly outside ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭McFearless

just tell her to go for it,and to get 'Eire 32' while shes at it!

Éire 32 is very different and kinda more preferable to have I.R.A imprinted on you. i can understand the sentiment, but it really is not the smartest thing to get at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

How long has she been thinking about getting this done?
    Tell her to put it off for 6 months and if she still really wants it then, tell her to go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

àsk her if she even knows what the irish flag stands for,chances are you'l get a blank look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

an ex of mine has Eire 32 on one of his pecs
    and "tiochaidh ar la" in big celtic writing across his upper back, he's 26 now, got them done when in college in england at the age of 18, and HATES them more than anything now, he's getting them covered but is having trouble finding an artist who can do what he wants with it.

Tell you're friend it's forever, ask her does she want to be prejudged and hated by any number of people who sees it, and everything else thats been said above, bod mods say a lot about a person, and tatts especially speak volumes to a stranger, how many people are prevented getting jobs because they have visible tattoos, people don't care about the person behind the ink or metal when they see that sorta stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Tell her the Internet said she's a eejit.

Le Rack wrote: »
    bod mods say a lot about a person, and tatts especially speak volumes to a stranger, how many people are prevented getting jobs because they have visible tattoos, people don't care about the person behind the ink or metal when they see that sorta stuff
    Damned biggots!:mad:

And Sarannewrap is probably right, I only found out myself about a year ago TBH.:o (ok, so I'm not the most patriotic person anyway, but still...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Heh, what does it stand for anyway?

Green = Fianians
    Orange = Orangemen
    White = the peace between them

or something along those lines anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

yeah thats the basic idea,green in for the south white for peace and orange for the north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I'm not one of them!!! :eek: Just sayin it does happen and it's bloody ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

It's her decision ultimately, so it's not your problem. Just let her ruin her body and laugh when she regrets it later on in life!

yeah, but at the same time, i would do all i could to stop my best freind make a decisionm like that...

anyone else, ill point and laugh later, but not my best mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement