Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screw stuck in tool

Options
  • 10-10-2007 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,

The head of a screw on my router is now damaged after I tried to take it out but it was so tight that the head is now just a hole and my phillips just keeps turning in circles. Any idea of how to take this screw out?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You could maybe drill it out. Any photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If it's turning, you mightn't be able to drill it...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

There is a Screw Extractor Set you can buy, it fits onto a drill and very similar to a drill bit except the twist goes in the opposite direction (anti clockwise), so when you start to drill the bit cuts into the screw head and unscrews the screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Those screw extractors are not designed for use with a power drill, they should be used only with a T-handle like the one that comes with a tap and die set.
    I would drill the head out as far as you can, and then use the pointed end of a file tapped into the hole then try and unscrew the screw.
    If it still won't budge after some heat/wd40/time then drill it out completely.

Advertisement