Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom

Options
  • 10-10-2007 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

i currently have a 3mb eircom broadband line , ive had it for like 4 years now and have a zyzel 630 modem r somthing, and i think that new packages give u a different modem , does any1 know if its possible for me to get the newer version without having to pay r ne thing ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why not just buy your own modem, there generally not very expensive
    try komplett.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

niallith wrote:
    i currently have a 3mb eircom broadband line , ive had it for like 4 years now and have a zyzel 630 modem r somthing, and i think that new packages give u a different modem , does any1 know if its possible for me to get the newer version without having to pay r ne thing ?

Have one of these, very reliable.

http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=MMEK341030&productID=S3625213

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

If they provided it, they have to replace it but only if it's faulty. Are you having problems or do you simply want a new router because there is one available?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

emm well i dont think theres anything wrong wit it , but i used to hav my pc upstairs,near a wall plate thing to connect the modem to it, but hav recently moved my pc downstairs and currently hav like a 50ft. cable going from my sitting room up to my room upstairs(it wont connect if i put it in the wall plate downstairs that the phone uses,
    and if often disconnects wen i hav it in the upstairs one, altho its possibly the wires fault cause one of the clips on it r broken so the line is jus holding on the wallplate rather than clipped in, but i mean i connect somtimes and it connects fine but then itll suddenly stop receiving info and wont load any sites r nething but seems to b stil connected so i dono how else to fix it other than get a wireless or jus move back upstairs which i dont wana do

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Whatever one might think of Eircom or indeed any other isps they are not charities. Shops sell modems and routers of all shapes and varieties. Buy one if you want one.

• Advertisement

Oh man, put it back downstairs and Google "REN value". The cable should be no longer than 6ft and if its any longer, your gonna get an intermittent connection all the time.

yea i suppose any over 6ft is bit too long, but i figured wireless would b easiest way to solve problem , as for the price i will pay buut thought i heard somwhere that eircom would send u out a new modem if requested ,or if i send them back my current one theyll do a switch,i mean they giv them to newer customers so y not offer the upgrade to better modem to older ones ?

Wireless is always the easier option. Well I would suggest you ring Eircom and ask them about the router, I know they are giving free ones out with current packages but I'm not sure if they'll replace yours just cos yours is old, they'll prob say they can't cos it's functioning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

niallith wrote:
    emm well i dont think theres anything wrong wit it , but i used to hav my pc upstairs,near a wall plate thing to connect the modem to it, but hav recently moved my pc downstairs and currently hav like a 50ft. cable going from my sitting room up to my room upstairs(it wont connect if i put it in the wall plate downstairs that the phone uses,
    and if often disconnects wen i hav it in the upstairs one, altho its possibly the wires fault cause one of the clips on it r broken so the line is jus holding on the wallplate rather than clipped in, but i mean i connect somtimes and it connects fine but then itll suddenly stop receiving info and wont load any sites r nething but seems to b stil connected so i dono how else to fix it other than get a wireless or jus move back upstairs which i dont wana do

If you are going to post on here would you please have some courtesy for potential readers (and indeed some self respect!) and use correct spelling, punctuation, grammar and spacing.

sorry its just a habit from talking online , anyways i rang them up and the guy who i was talking to said he had similar problem and said just to go buy a extrenal phone jacket i think and put that into the wallplate downstairs and i wont need to hav a long wire going upstairs, thx for help anyways !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Its obvious youre the one with the courtesy issues Dub45.Ive seen some bad mannered rants on various boards on the net recently but that takes the biscuit.For the record Im no fan of text speak myself .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

ytareh wrote:
    Its obvious youre the one with the courtesy issues Dub45.Ive seen some bad mannered rants on various boards on the net recently but that takes the biscuit.For the record Im no fan of text speak myself .

Nor do you seem to be a fan of the apostrophe.

The OP might usefully suggest to Eircom that he is looking at alternatives that offer newer modems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

willyeallshuddupwillye :(

Advertisement