Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked car thread...

Options
  • 10-10-2007 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

...vanished with no explanation.

Can boards please get their servers located somewhere where the laws are not so biased in favour of business.
    It seems every time a thread of note to the general public appears, gets jumped on and folded by the meerest threat of a legal letter.

Whats the point in even posting here if the consumer is the one consistantly getting shafted.

At least let us know what happened - It's no wonder that the consumer gets so shafted in ireland, when the means to fight back is taken from them.
    Who is boards supposed to benefit - the users or business interests?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I absolutely agree with this.

This boards is popular because consumers come here for advice.
    Ideas and thoughts should be free....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Ideas and thought are free, just written idea and thoughts are slander.

Don't blame boards, blame our outdated Irish laws. Write your TD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

How much would it cost to relocate the servers - I'm sure the membership would chip in to make this happen. I know I would.
    It makes a mockery out of posting here when this occurs. If someone can PM me all the details, I will host them on my US based website.

It's a pity that some of our legal eagles would make an attempt pro bono to fix these stupid laws (but after the rate my solicitor debacle, perhaps they are too greedy and money hungry to do something for the common good)- without mentioning names from the original thread, the people involved don't deserve protecting given their business practises and underhand dealings.

Yet again - Bad Business Practises 1 - Consumer 0

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The server is based in Dublin. The owner of boards.ie can access it there. F**k your free speech. There's no way in hell this place will risk getting sued for your slander. At least one company has already brought it to court.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I moved the thread and when typing out my explanation into a new thread, an emergency arose here in work esulting in my explanation getting long fingered.
    Anyhow, I got advice from those at the top and it was decided that given there were legal threats flying about, I would pull the thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

cancan wrote:
    At least let us know what happened

It got deleted under instruction from an Admin.
    That's all you need to know.

cancan wrote:
    How much would it cost to relocate the servers - I'm sure the membership would chip in to make this happen. I know I would.
    It makes a mockery out of posting here when this occurs. If someone can PM me all the details, I will host them on my US based website.
    Boards currently has a 5TB data transfer per month. Would your host allow this? The server spec can be found on slide 27/31 @ http://www.slideshare.net/Cloud/the-evolution-of-boardsie
    Also a US hosting a/c with a USA IP address does not help search engine rankings!
    cancan wrote:
    It's a pity that some of our legal eagles would make an attempt pro bono to fix these stupid laws (but after the rate my solicitor debacle, perhaps they are too greedy and money hungry to do something for the common good)- without mentioning names from the original thread, the people involved don't deserve protecting given their business practises and underhand dealings.
    Our laws are not decided by our legal eagles but by our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

kbannon wrote:
    Boards currently has a 5TB data transfer per month. Would your host allow this? The server spec can be found on slide 27/31 @ http://www.slideshare.net/Cloud/the-evolution-of-boardsie
    Also a US hosting a/c with a USA IP address does not help search engine rankings!
    Our laws are not decided by our legal eagles but by our government.

I think the poster meant he would host the details of this particular car clocking incident on his server, not the entire boards.ie site!!

The thread has been deleted so thats that!
    Lets move on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Sympathise entirely with the Admins.

Was an interesting thread though.......had all the makings of an epic imo.
    Did anyone ever follow the VXr write-off thread on Vx220.org? Maybe not on that scale but.........

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cancan wrote:
    You would also need to pay someone in the US to manage the site and maintain uptime.

At the moment, any time spent physically at the servers is done for free by the admins and is one of the primary reasons for hosting the site within Ireland. If you host it outside of Ireland, you will need to pay someone to be physically available to look after the machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

seamus wrote:
    You would also need to pay someone in the US to manage the site and maintain uptime.

At the moment, any time spent physically at the servers is done for free by the admins and is one of the primary reasons for hosting the site within Ireland. If you host it outside of Ireland, you will need to pay someone to be physically available to look after the machines.

You mean to kick them when they don't work properly?!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

cancan wrote:

You could always get out your Visa card and follow this link.
    The ones we're running on now aren't free either.

the_syco wrote:
    The server is based in Dublin. The owner of boards.ie can access it there. F**k your free speech. There's no way in hell this place will risk getting sued for your slander. At least one company has already brought it to court.

I never knew you guys had a payment option - just sent you 13 euro in the hope you grow some balls over the next three months, and I'll subscribe again :') The current server location does not allow for proper debate on important matters, and thus, improving upon this should be looked into.

Quite how you backed down to someone who admitted to breaking advertising standards laws on a public forum is beyond me - you know eventually you are going to have to fight this battle - start a legal fund if needs be - I'll be the first to donate.

They would have to have proved their case in a court of law, and a legal intern could have beaten their case, given the joys of caching.

While I understand your side, perhaps you guys should look into trying one of these cases sometimes - you'd be surprised what the other person would have to prove in order for you guys to loose.

This constant backing down is getting old. Perhaps a landmark legal case from your guys would open it up for all. I'm sure you'd find plenty of support.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

layke wrote:
    Ideas and thought are free, just written idea and thoughts are slander.

Don't blame boards, blame our outdated Irish laws. Write your TD!

I suppose the admin folk have to do what they think is right, especially when people threaten court action.

Mind you, I don't think I saw any slander in the thread, just a lot of conflicting information which arose suspicions.

Anyway, those who frequent here will now know to avoid a certain garage (or two), and that's gotta be good! :)

to quote a wise old man:
    me wrote:
    The thread has been deleted so thats that!
    Lets move on!
    There is no point in talking about defending our case as its rather futile! Growing balls is often inversely proportional to having good sense!
    This thread is getting locked now as the original post has been addressed.
    Head over to the legal forum if you want to go on about defending libel cases!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement