Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

castlestone paving project/ price

Options
  • 10-10-2007 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Ive been trying to get someone to source and lay a castlestone paving path in the front of my house in Dublin. It measures approx 3/4 m across X 4 m length and another small path under the window that's 1/2m X 3m) Does anyine know how much this should cost me? There is an old cement poured path currently there so that would have to be taken away also.

Thanks....was hoping to have it finished by Xmas:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Roadstone Retail supply the castlestone products, so that is the sourcing sorted.

As for pricing the job, the best thing you can do is to get three or more guys out of the yellow pages to give you a quote for the work. I suspect €40-€70 per M2 would cover it but without seeing the job.....

Try and get references and have a look at some previous work because I know from experience that there are a lot of paving tradesmen out there who really do not know/or care what they are doing.

For expert advice on how things should be done, check out www.pavingexpert.com. You might even tackle the job yourself after reading that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

squire1 wrote:
    Roadstone Retail supply the castlestone products, so that is the sourcing sorted.

As for pricing the job, the best thing you can do is to get three or more guys out of the yellow pages to give you a quote for the work. I suspect €40-€70 per M2 would cover it but without seeing the job.....

Try and get references and have a look at some previous work because I know from experience that there are a lot of paving tradesmen out there who really do not know/or care what they are doing.

For expert advice on how things should be done, check out www.pavingexpert.com. You might even tackle the job yourself after reading that. :D

I normally do all the DIY stuff in our house but I dont have the time to do this at the minute with work etc and my wife NEEDS :rolleyes: it done before Xmas..

Alot of people are telling me that its too small a job but I have 1 quote for €988 from Eoin Healy Landscaping www.garden-scapes.net Not sure if thats a good or bad price but includes mateials, removal of existing path and waste and Labour....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

teflon wrote:
    I normally do all the DIY stuff in our house but I dont have the time to do this at the minute with work etc and my wife NEEDS :rolleyes: it done before Xmas..

Alot of people are telling me that its too small a job but I have 1 quote for €988 from Eoin Healy Landscaping www.garden-scapes.net Not sure if thats a good or bad price but includes mateials, removal of existing path and waste and Labour....:confused:

Eoin is a regular poster on here so I wont comment any further if you don't mind. My original advice is still valid however.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

squire1 wrote:
    Eoin is a regular poster on here so I wont comment any further if you don't mind. My original advice is still valid however.

I didnt know that. The stuff on his site looks good. Ive had afew low quotes from the usual cowboys though. You know that sort that pull up and say "Ahh yeah, Id be able to do that for you" No Thanks guys.

As long as it looks good when its finished, thats all that matters to me or I'll never hear the end of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

The area is very small and you are likely to encounter some problems in finding contractor interest. The best advice I can give you is to enquire with Roadstone about their list of recommended contractors. Must it be Castlestone? There are others eg Acheson & Glover.

Supply+Fit rates are typically € 70.0/sq m.

Looking good is easy especially with new stone, the real work is ground preparation and most fail here.

As I said talk directly to the suppliers they usually have a list of contractors, go and look at similar previous projects (2-3, one completed within last month and most importantly one about within 9-12 months). Ask to see employer/proof of public liability insurance. If you encounter resistance then find alternatives.

This area is infested with cowboys. So be warned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭eoinhealy

Hi Guys,

i was checking my website stats just now, and a whole load of hits came from this thread. Had a few welcoming comments emailed to me from some of the boards posters and really just want to say thanks. . .

So, here it goes.... Thanks guys and keep them emails coming in. It's nice to hear something nice! :)

Advertisement