Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible leaked details of Battlefield 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

gah! superscouted here at work, give us the gist of what it says.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Robbed directly from the site.

* Release in late 2008
    * Powered by “Frostbite DX”
    * Set in year modern day (just like BF2, ed.)
    * Will ship with 8 maps, each supporting up to 40-players per team
    * Two playable factions, NATO and MEC (Middle Eastern Coalition)
    * Same “ticket-based” gameplay style as before
    * Maps are mostly urban, based in Middle East
    * Squads and Commanders are present, introduced are “Battalions” which consist of three to four squads.
    * Five playable classes; Sniper, Assault, Engineer, Medic and Support
    * Will feature 48 different vehicles (24 for each faction)
    * Will feature 34 different weapons (17 for each faction) and another 22 unlocks (for both factions), in total 56 different weapons.
    * Other unlocks include different types of ammunition, body armor, helmets, camouflage and accessories.
    * Possible public beta in “Summer 2008″
    * Online stats tracking, awards and “real world ranks”
    * “Soldier” feature, looks like MMO-styled characters and avatars
    * Ranked servers will be available for resellers weeks before the game ships (for testing, apparently,)
    * In-game replay and recording feature
    * VoIP, friends list, in-game IM-client and “extensive clan support”
    * Built-in auto software updater (no more patches!, ed.)
    * Widows Vista and OS X (no XP???)
    * Announcement and teaser trailer in January 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Right...so what exactly is it bringing to the table?

Isn't that what BFx has already?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

MMO characters and auto-patching seem to be the only new features ?

No XP as I imagine it doesn't work on DX9 like Helo2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

man, that doesn't sound very encouraging at all. The no XP would be a problem and it just sounds too samey as bf2, the only difference appears to be more players per map, which isn't exactly needed, anyone else feel the same?

I was hoping they would revisit WW2 or Vietnam again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I was hoping they would revisit WW2 or Vietnam again :(

Same here , no real interest in it otherwise .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

The old timers wanna live through the glory days again eh? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

V!alli wrote:
    The old timers wanna live through the glory days again eh? :P

There's something about an 80 player Karkand clone that'd be worth it for the sheer chaos and noise factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Spear wrote:
    and noise factor.

80 players on Karkand + 7.1 surround sound w/ Sub Woofer = win.

That sounds exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Nah EA/DICE can suck a plum each. They screwed over the BF2 community IMO, lackluster patches, lask of support, broken promises. I'm watching SD at the moment how they are managing ETQW. One tiny patch is all thats been needed for a 100 rock solid game. Vitrually no crashing at all, and they are engaging the players on their forums. EA/DICE look and learn.

Re the game, its not that much different from BF2, do we really need 80 player BF2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

Wouldnt have minded another Vietnam era game....somthing about those games...more of an atmosphere i suppose...i think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

TBH, the list reads like they've decided to try and pilfer some of the properties of Planetside. Mind you, Planetside was a fun game and for multiplayer FPS could not be touched for sheer scale of conflict (having been in some stupidly large battles raging for 4+ hours)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

most ppl overlook the engine name "Frostbite DX" (frostbite is the engine for battlefield bad company) which means environments would be 90% destructable

bad company isnt due out until Q1 2008 so dont hold ure breath for bf3 anytime soon

besides how much of EA flogging horses can people stomach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Zillah wrote: »
    80 players on Karkand + 7.1 surround sound w/ Sub Woofer = win.

That sounds exciting.

Sounds like spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die, spawn, die - to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Jackabo wrote: »
    Wouldnt have minded another Vietnam era game....somthing about those games...more of an atmosphere i suppose...i think :D

i'm with u there jack. i would to see a revamped version of bf:v with nice new graphics and the good parts out of bf2. I don't think middle eastern is good at all. its all desert like! Whats interesting about that ffs! Jungle maps r so sweet! and with nice graphics and stuff it would be seriously good. Ohwell. I doubt very much i'll have much interest in either tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!
    MORE OF THE SAME!!!!
    Thanks EA/Dice, just what we wanted!!!!

Seriously, give it a rest, BF already lost alot of credibility as a series with 2142 lazorz pew pew...now its just turning into an annual cash cow to be milked with a yearly update...BattleFIFA 08, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

2142 had lasers? News to me and I've been playing the game for over a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

yeah I never saw lasers it has to be said, I think you need to go back and check your sources, bosco.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. Expected no less from EA. The only thing I see is that they're trying to build on BF2, and on BF2142. EA accepting 2142 was crap, maybe?

34 weapons, 17 per team, 5 classes, so that's the usual 3 per class, with snipers getting claymore, and engineers getting mines? Nothing new.

As for "fully destructible" I'll believe it when you have the option of dropping a big bomb to level the city. Until then, it means that you can destroy wooden fences... just like BF2.

Wouldn't mind Battlefield Falklands, or maybe Battlefield Desert Combat... 2, but aside from that, I can't see them building on much.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Faylum

TBH i dont really wana have to spend another €50 on a game that has no big improvements, why dont the just update BF2 with all that crap and stop wasting our time and money. IMO they should create a new WW2 or even a WW3 game. The BF2142 is far too future based. They should do a new setting like in Europe with battlefields that we can recognize, twud be great to see a map in Dublin or London. maybe add a few buildings that can be destroyed and bingo-bango you got yourself a best selling game. But i wont buy BF3 if all its offering is a few minor adjustments. Just not worth it imo, besides atm im playing World Of Warcraft and it would take something a hell of alot better to pull me from this game, i mean they'd have to add something that would delay the repeditiveness that is BF in general!

p.s. i not good at know spelling :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

Faylum wrote: »
    p.s. i not good at know spelling :D
    No S**t Batman :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

Azza wrote: »
    According to leaked pdf document obtained by Digital Battle and reported by several other gaming sites details have emerged of Battlefield 3...nothing officially confirmed.

linkage here
    http://www.digitalbattle.com/2007/10/09/breaking-battlefield-3-leaked-info/

Judge for yourself.

I hear they are already working on patch version 189678489948949498.5151871 so in theory the game MIGHT.... work when its release :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

is bf2142 working, remember i bought it months ago and it didnt work, some mass widespread bug, is it fixed and working?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

is bf2142 working, remember i bought it months ago and it didnt work, some mass widespread bug, is it fixed and working?
    *blank stare*

No, BF2142 has never once worked to this day... :rolleyes:

Advertisement