Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bohs fans held over Derry pub attack

• 10-10-2007 1:25pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know anymore about this? from ireland.com.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/2007/1010/breaking43.htm

Bohs fans held over Derry pub attack

Seven Dublin football fans are in custody today after a woman was injured when a pub was wrecked before the FAI Eircom League Cup Final between Derry City and Bohemians last night.

Around 30 Bohs fans attacked the Tavern Bar on London Street in Derry city centre, throwing missiles and smashing windows.

The four customers inside the bar were showered in glass and debris was strewn across the floor during the attack, which took place at around 7.00pm.

A woman in her 20s suffered ligament damage to her hand.

A PSNI spokesman said CCTV footage was used to help identify the attackers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It didn't happen.

It's a conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.derryjournal.com/journal/...rry.3363307.jp

FOOTBALL FANS are being blamed for a violent attack on a pub on the edge of Derry's Fountain Estate shortly before last night's glamour eircom League Cup Final between Derry City and Bohemians at Brandywell.

Police were called to The Tavern - better known locally as the Talk of the Town - at London Street shortly after 7 p.m. following reports that a number of windows at the pub had been broken.

Bar owner Kingsley Curry said a gang of around 30 males - who he said all had "southern accents" - shattered four windows, broke a number of stools and smashed bottles during the no-warning attack.

He said a number of bar regulars confronted the gang and forced them out onto London Street before jamming the front door shut. Some of the gang then tried to re-enter the bar through the broken windows.

Mr. Curry said: "I have no doubt that these hooligans were from the Republic of Ireland. They all had southern accents. I've been told they were up for the big game at Brandywell."

The pub owner revealed that, at the time of the attack, there were only five people - including two tourists - in the bar. He said one customer sustained a cut to his ear as a result of flying glass while a member of staff received a cut to his hand.

He also claimed that his London Street premises must have been "singled out" to the gang as a "Protestant bar".

One bar regular added: "We've been getting attacked right, left and centre in recent times and solely because we're recognised as a Protestant bar. In a sense, we stick out like a sore thumb. However, I can assure people that it's business as usual here. The pub will be open for business tomorrow. These people won't force us out."

Mr. Curry added that security at the bar would have to be reviewed in light of last night's attack.

"We'll have to have a look at security. Had they all got in, I dread to think what could have happened. Someone could have been seriously hurt."

Police confirmed last night that a 17-year-old youth had been arrested in connection with the incident at the pub.

Pretty much sums up how why and what.

kdjac

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

DesF wrote:
    It didn't happen.

It's a conspiracy.

well I was actually wondering, if it hadn't been on ireland.com I would have been slower to post an link it.

a pats, irish times and psni cabal out to sully the good name of bohs fans?

copacetic wrote:
    a pats, irish times and psni cabal out to sully the good name of bohs fans?
    lol

If Bohs fans want to try to deny this happened they can try, but the fact is that the 'bohs soccer casuals' DO exist.

http://bscasuals.tripod.com/

EL clubs dont have a problem till Danny Dyer turns up with a camera.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I think that once the people who were involved are arrested and convicted of this crime that they should be banned from Bohs for life.

Bohemian Football Club does not have a hooligan element. FACT.

DesF wrote:
    Bohemian Football Club does not have a hooligan element. FACT.

Ok ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

and neither...obviously from the BSC website...does Celtic :confused:
    Bizzare!

Wow, what a quick, efficient legal system they have in the North

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1010/derry.html
    Four Dublin men jailed for pub attack
    Wednesday, 10 October 2007 16:09

A court in Derry has sentenced four Dublin men to three months in jail in connection with an attack on a bar in the city centre last night.

The court heard that damage totaling £3,000 (€4,328) had been caused.

Police released unconditionally four other people, one of them a juvenile.

This is obviously a miscarriage of justice.

Supporters of Bohemian FC have a long history of decent bahaviour.

FREE THE BOHEMIAN FOUR

• Advertisement

I heard these guys went up on their own bus and also were not wearing any colours at the bar in question.

I am not defending it but how can clubs control people like this ?

Four Dublin football supporters who travelled to Derry on Tuesday night for the eircom League Cup final between Derry City and Bohemians, were today jailed for three months when they admitted their involvement in disturbances outside a city centre pub an hour before the cup final started.

Jailing the four, Resident Magistrate Barney McElholm described their actions as "outrageous thuggery".

Those jailed for three months were Evan Kane (20), a student from 205, Upper Dorset Street, Dublin, Francis O'Reilly (29), a local authority employee from 4 Clonturk Park, Dublin, Gavin James Hanly (22), a security company employee from 86, McKee Park, Dublin and Brian Shannon (20), of 7, Ventry Drive, Cabra.

All four pleaded guilty to a charge of riotous behaviour at the Tavern Bar, situated on the edge of the loyalist Fountain Estate. O'Reilly, Hanly and Shannon also pleaded guilty to a charge of causing up to £3,000 of criminal damage to the bar.

The four, who declined legal representation when they appeared in court, were among seven men arrested following the disturbances. Three other men were all released unconditionally having stayed Tuesday night in the cells in Derry's police headquarters at Strand Road.
    A Public Prosecution Service solicitor told the court that the four had earlier been drinking in another bar before they entered the Tavern Bar. Once inside the premises, they shouted "Up The Ra" and smashed three windows, damaged items of furniture and assaulted two women.
    "The incidents outside the bar were recorded by a nearby CCTV.device and, after it was examined by the police, the defendants were identified and arrested by the police after the match", he said.

All four declined to address the court before they were sentenced. The Magistrate said he was told that they chanted sectarian slogans during the disturbances.

He said: "This must have been a very frightening experience for the customers and staff. I view this as an extremely serious offence. We, for a long time in this part of the country, have had to put up with violence and now, just at a time when we at

last seem to be dragging ourselves out of it, you four arrive from Dublin.

"This bar in London Street on the cityside has unfortunately been attacked in the past for sectarian reasons. The courts are obliged to protect all of the people of this city. I sentence each of you to three months imprisonment because this sort of behaviour demands an immediate custodial sentence," he said.

When the sentences were passed, two of the four defendants wept in the dock. All four then asked to instead be allowed to pay compensation and restitution to the bar owner, Kingsley Curry, who was in court for the hearing.

The Resident Magistrate then asked Mr. Curry if he wanted a chance to recover money from the four or did he want the punishment already imposed.

"Punishment, I will take the loss", Mr. Curry replied.

The Magistrate then replied: "That is fair enough, the sentences stand".

thats some ****ing legal system.

They allegedgley had their own bus and wrecked it and the driver left them stranded up.

kdjac

Well, they could start by, firstly, admitting to a problem.

Secondly, banning these idiots from Dalymount.

Thirdly, making sure they don't get access to away games (last night was all ticket).

Fourthly, handing names and descriptions/photos to authorities in the localities where Bohs are playing.

Fifthly, admitting that there are indeed scummers associated with the club.

When the sentences were passed, two of the four defendants wept in the dock.
    :D:D:D

Boo-fúcking-hoo.

DesF wrote:

Thirdly, making sure they don't get access to away games (last night was all ticket).

Fourthly, handing names and descriptions/photos to authorities in the localities where Bohs are playing.

firstly, admitting to a problem (Agreed)
    banning these idiots from Dalymount (Agreed)
    Thirdly, making sure they don't get access to away games (easier said then done. I know people who sold tickets on after they realised they could not go.Also this doesn't work as you seen from other countries who have tried this. EDIT I hope they get banned for life from all LOI grounds by the way.

handing names and descriptions/photos to authorities in the localities where Bohs are playing. (I think that should be a Gardai problem not the clubs. As these people are not members and goto games where they know when they can get past light security I would almost bet money that these lads dont goto Dalymount for games)

Fifthly, admitting that there are indeed scummers associated with the club (then every club in Ireland would have to do the same as their is scummers at every club)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

sounds like they were lucky to get the chance to spend their time in prison and not hospital. Do they think it is some sort of game?

fair play to the landlord as well.

ignore this as hit enter too fast !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

DesF wrote:

The Club has admitted there there is a problem/
    DesF wrote:

There have been lots of bannings.
    DesF wrote:

Not sure of the ins and outs of it, but I imagine its next to impossible to know that tickets arent goign to be passed onto the scum element, bought by someone else. So I am sure its very hard to enforce that particular point you made Des.
    DesF wrote:

I get what your saying but you obviously mean, Shels, Rovers, Pats etc too that have equal trouble with scum.
    DesF wrote:

Yep again the club has admitted there are a number of unsavoury characters attending games just to cause trouble, they have been banned from the ground. As Ciaran said, scummers at every club, including Shels, Rovers, Pats etc.

For the record I am delighted this scum got jailed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

If only our justice system worked that well! The response from the pub owner was classic aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

For fear I may be strung up as a league traitor, may I have a say? :D
    ciaran76 wrote:
    Thirdly, making sure they don't get access to away games (easier said then done. I know people who sold tickets on after they realised they could not go.Also this doesn't work as you seen from other countries who have tried this.

I find it hard to believe that this group all managed to secure tickets through people selling theirs on, and just happened to have a bus arranged to take them to the game. That's an aside, the real issue is securing the chain of distribution of tickets, making sure that tickets issued can be traced to an individual. Its hard to do that in stadia that are not all seater (and reserved seating)...in the EPL cctv can be used to identify the seat that an offender is sitting in, and the chain of distribution can identify where that ticket originated. Result? The person who sold on the ticket can then be identified and dealt with accordingly. Tends to focus the mind when shifting on spare tickets if there's a chance you'll lose access to tickets yourself as a result of someone else's misbehaviour.

As I said though, that's hard to do in general admission stadia like we have in the EL. Clubs should look at alternatives though, perhaps a club issued photo ID for members along with the ticket purchasers name on tickets, and require production of both on entering stadia? Perhaps a CCTV system that records each supporter passing through the turnstile that can be tallied with the ticket stub handed over? Basically, if you want to ensure that trouble makers do not get their hands on tickets you need to ensure that tickets issued are used by the person who purchases them.
    ciaran76 wrote:
    handing names and descriptions/photos to authorities in the localities where Bohs are playing. (I think that should be a Gardai problem not the clubs. As these people are not members and goto games where they know when they can get past light security I would almost bet money that these lads dont goto Dalymount for games)

If the club is aware of individuals who are likely to cause trouble at away games, there should be a mechanism for that information to be passed to the Gardai. Is there even a proper football intelligence unit in Ireland? Wouldn't it be helpful for the PSNI to have been made aware of names and faces of known troublemakers? That cooperation occurs throughout Europe, it should happen on this island.

Of course, there's only so much clubs can do. Legislation to deal with sporting disorder (in ANY sport) and policing procedures need to be looked at in detail. The policing and stewarding of EL games I have attended (and yes, I HAVE attended EL games) ranks somewhere below abysmal. Banning orders would be a good start, and the swift administration of justice shown in Derry is hugely welcome.

Trouble occurring away from the ground is harder to monitor and deal with, and while I would not expect clubs to be held accountable for such disorder I would expect them to show leadership in banning such "fans" from their ground and making clear that their actions do not represent the club or the majority of fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd say its been a rollercoaster 24 hours for this bunch of heroes. Bunch of absolute muppets, hope they get stuck in jail with some proper hard bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'd say its been a rollercoaster 24 hours for this bunch of heroes. Bunch of absolute muppets, hope they get stuck in jail with some proper hard bastards.

As somebody said on another forum they will know what it is like to have a queen now.

As somebody said on another forum they will know what it is like to have a queen now.
    Haha yeah. The sad thing is they'll probably come back as god-like figures to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Maybe that will teach them to behave themselves in future.
    Bet they won't serve the full term though :( .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

okidoki987 wrote:
    Maybe that will teach them to behave themselves in future.
    Bet they won't serve the full term though :( .

It doesn't really matter if they serve the full term. They'll each serve at least 30 days and seeing as 2 of the 4 wept as the sentence was handed down, I don't think they'll be so quick to do something like this again. This should serve as a big kick up the hole for the 3 younger lads and the older guy aswell, seeing as he wont have a job to come back to!

It also sets a precedent that should be followed in the republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The article on the last page was really good. Great reaction from the pub landlord. These guys need to be taught a lesson, and more than likely they'll get taught that lesson every night in prison ;)

BBC news video report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7030000/newsid_7037800/7037813.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm&news=1

Gotta love the quote...

"Even for Bohemians fans, they embarrassed their team"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Statement from Bohemian Football Club
    The Board of the Bohemian Football Club condemns unreservedly the actions of the individuals charged and convicted of criminal offences in Derry. The Board welcomes the sentences of the court in these cases. They send a clear signal to those intent on causing trouble.

In recent years Bohemian FC has invested significant resources in a bid to permanently remove a small minority of troublemakers. During this period almost 20 people have been banned permanently from Dalymount Park. We have recently introduced measures aimed at ensuring in as far as possible that these known troublemakers do not gain access to away grounds

Some of the individuals involved in the Derry incident are among those who are banned from Dalymount Park and similar life bans will issue to others identified during court proceedings in Derry

Bohemian Football Club wishes to make it clear that those involved travelled independently and were not part of the group of some 300 supporters who travelled on the 6 coaches the club organised for the official trip. The arrangements to put that initiative in place were facilitated with the sporting assistance of Derry City Football Club. In all some 600 genuine supporters travelled, mixed freely with Derry City fans prior to the game without a hint of trouble and supported our team superbly

Club President Gerry Cuffe said “we are sure we speak for these supporters and all genuine fans and reflect the deep sense of anger felt within the club by condemning totally this mindless minority”

Violent behaviour is an increasing problem within society in general and sporting clubs, including the Bohemian Football Club, are not immune to this trend. The assumed attachment to our club and other bodies and events as a flag of convenience to mask reprehensible activities indicates the mindset society is dealing with in these instances.

The Bohemian Football club is a club wholly owned by its members and dedicated to sport and to being part of a community – an involvement that stretches back almost 120 years. It exists for its members and genuine fans who, as a significant body of responsible citizens, will do all in our power to assist the authorities to stamp out the type of behaviour witnessed in Derry

bohsman wrote: »
    In recent years Bohemian FC has invested significant resources in a bid to permanently remove a small minority of troublemakers. During this period almost 20 people have been banned permanently from Dalymount Park. We have recently introduced measures aimed at ensuring in as far as possible that these known troublemakers do not gain access to away grounds
    How?

By allowing BSC flags to be hung in Dalymount on matchdays?

By allowing the BSC to store it's flags in Dalymount?

By running a campaign on it's official website when a BSC flag went missing?

By Gerry Cuffe going on national television last night and claiming Bohemian FC doesn't have a hooligan element going to games intent on causing trouble.

And some people at that club claim Shelbourne has it's head in the sand.
    Some of the individuals involved in the Derry incident are among those who are banned from Dalymount Park
    And some of the individuals involved are among those who attent Dalymount Park for home games, and travel to grounds for away games.
    Violent behaviour is an increasing problem within society in general and sporting clubs, including the Bohemian Football Club, are not immune to this trend. The assumed attachment to our club and other bodies and events as a flag of convenience to mask reprehensible activities indicates the mindset society is dealing with in these instances.
    Yeah, let's try to deflect this as a 'society problem'.

Fact is that the club has turned a blind eye to the BSC for too long, and these are the consequences.
    The Bohemian Football club is a club wholly owned by its members and dedicated to sport and to being part of a community – an involvement that stretches back almost 120 years. It exists for its members and genuine fans who, as a significant body of responsible citizens, will do all in our power to assist the authorities to stamp out the type of behaviour witnessed in Derry
    It still remains to be seen if at least one of the convicted was a member.

• Advertisement

Bohs sent over spotters to Richmond twice this season and both times numerous fans were not allowed into the ground, shame pats ****ed up and had the rest to close to each other.

kdjac

"By allowing BSC flags to be hung in Dalymount on matchdays?"

Now banned apparently.

"By allowing the BSC to store it's flags in Dalymount?"

Not anymore !

Yeah, all very well, but it's closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

DesF wrote: »

When they were slow to do anything you moaned.
    When they do do something you moaned.

The world is not perfect but at least its a step in the right direction.

Same goes to the PSNI, they should have arrested them before they caused trouble.

• Advertisement

Same goes to the PSNI, they should have arrested them before they caused trouble.

I don't think thats fair, I'd imagine a lot of Bohs fans would be going nuts if they were arrested before they caused trouble. How were the police supposed to single these idiots out?

copacetic wrote: »
    I don't think thats fair, I'd imagine a lot of Bohs fans would be going nuts if they were arrested before they caused trouble. How were the police supposed to single these idiots out?

I think its called internment :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Better than not closing the door at all.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    I think its called internment :D

kdjac

hmmm, internment of all bohs fans, interesting, throw pats fans in too and we might be on to something.

Better than not closing the door at all.

it's actually not, if you close the door after the horse has bolted he can't get back in.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    it's actually not, if you close the door after the horse has bolted he can't get back in.

he can smash the windows and get in there.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    he can smash the windows and get in there.

kdjac

it's a stable. the windows are too high for horses to reach, and besides they can't climb, sure there are holes in that scenario all over the place.

What?

It's not nineteen eighty four mate, you can't actually get arrested for thinking about doing stuff.

Did Bohemian FC forward the names and pictures of known troublemakers to the PSNI?

Doubt it, seeing as the club president, Gerry Cuffe, was insisting that Bohs has NO known troublemakers.

What, exactly were the PSNI supposed to do? Arrest every Bohs fan? The baldy ones? The ones in stripey jumpers with mullets?

Jaysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Bohs and their BSC is it?

What a pack of losers.

What, exactly were the PSNI supposed to do? Arrest every Bohs fan? The baldy ones? The ones in stripey jumpers with mullets?

Jaysis.

Yes. As you said yourself its better than acting after the horse had bolted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Yes. As you said yourself its better than acting after the horse had bolted.

Gerry Conway initially tried the classic Bohs response, deny it was anything to do with them and talk about Rovers. The 'we dont have hooligans at Dalymount' drivel on Weds news was a direct lie.

Your club are only making the BSC take down the flags because of the media furore, not because your board actually believe they are pox ridden little cowards who take on individual civilians in groups and finally met a police force and courts system who were having none of it.

Bohemian Fc have always had an unhealthy relationship with the BSC, as proven by Gerry Conways perverse defence of them in the media. Bohemians refused to help the FAI and the Gardai over Dorset St this season. The flags will come down for the rest of the season and they will be back when the fuss dies down.

No bolting, just PR spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Brilliant, they got what they deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

cheesedude wrote: »
    Brilliant, they got what they deserved.

The logical next question is why, one of them in particular who was released to appeal, has been able to run amock on Dorset St for the past couple of years and the Gardai not deal with him despite the FAI and Rovers regularly meeting with them on the issue?

They act up once in the 6 and are lagged, yet they have been boasting about their exploits (that cost one teenage hoop the sight in his eye and put another in a coma) on Bebo with no consequences from either the Gardai or Bohs.

Three of the four were known faces and despite the spin, had not been banned from Bohs games. Where else would they have gotten their tickets for the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The have the internment on computers now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

On a point of information...
    The BSC flags were banned from Dalymount from the Sligo Rovers game, on September 29, rendering bolting horses and barn doors somewhat irrelevant.
    I saw one BSC flag was flying prominently on national television at the Derry game, and before that at the Pat's game.
    At the Pat's game, I watched in astonishment as a person who appeared to be a senior match steward, along a steward who wore an FAI jacket, assist in putting up two BSC flags. As if that wasn't enough, later on, one of them came back and with great diligence straightened up one of the flags, the better for it to be displayed on national television.
    The question must be asked: are we supposed seriously to believe that these clubs (and the gardai who stood beside those flags at Richmond Park) do not know of the BSC?
    I think it also must be mentioned here that the BSC are disowned and despised by most Bohs fans, who see them do more damage to the club than they could to any bar, and who themselves on occasion have been attacked by them. As it is, the eL has enough ignorance and prejudice to deal with, and enough enemies who will make the most of this to gloat while blithely ignoring violence around English and Scottish football, to which otherwise they give so much publicity.
    Hooliganism is not the sole preserve or responsibility of football clubs. But it is the responsibility of clubs to root it out when it attempts to attach itself to the game. That is a duty of all clubs, and petty finger-pointing is not going to discourage the BSC or anyone else one bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement