Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete loss of use in all limbs.

• 10-10-2007 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭

Bit of a long shot here, but here goes.

Due to recent events in my family, it is looking increasingly likely that we are going to be caring quite soon for my mum who will have lost all use of both arms and both legs, meaning that they will be able to do very little for themselves. As things stand at present, she is unable to move her limbs at all, and needs to be fed, clothed etc. This is a heartbreaking prospect for this woman, as she was very independant, but illness and injury over the years have taken a heavy toll.

We always assured her that we would always take care of her, and never leave her at the mercy of strangers. This is something that I still stand by, but I am wondering if anyone has experience of caring for people with severe disability that affects the use of all limbs. Is it possible for a person in her situation to have a happy fulfilling life? What can carers and family do to make her happy and comfortable? Is there equipment out there to help with basic movements?

I know some of these are questions that can and will be answered by physio's and doctors and the like, but really what I am asking is, how difficult could this be for everybody involved? Can we provide the disabled person with a happy life, or does this type of disability bring other problems such as severe depression? Already, she is becoming despondant and very distant at the prospect of what lies ahead of us, and I would do anything I could to make her happy.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

what was she diagnosed with - there are some specific support groups out there and charities that can help you. Some of them organise events which can break the tedium of being at home.

Advertisement