Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wired broadband wifi rounter??help please?

Options
  • 10-10-2007 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

hi guys:) dont really into much networking stuffs myself and hope you guys can give me a hand?thank you in advance:)

currently looking for a broadband provider as i just moved to a new home.used Digiweb before and love the service,thinking to get back to them as well.since i live in suburb,there is only Wired DSL from them is available.

the question is,there is an option of
    ENHANCED OPTIONS :
    Upgrade to WiFi 4-Port Router €39.99
    sounds like a fair price for me if that could make me to use my laptop anywhere in home plus i can go online for my Wii:D is it true though?wired broadband + wifi router =wireless broadband?

send them a mail but didnt get reply.
    thanks again,guys.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

seraphimvc wrote:
    is it true though?wired broadband + wifi router =wireless broadband?
    No. But I blame all the muppets in advertising for the confusion. Wireless broadband is a service you receive to your home without the use of a land line, cable or fibre. If you connect that to a wireless router then you have wireless home networking that's connected to the Internet. This doesn't stop the likes of eircom (and AOL are big culprits for this on UK TV) advertising their "wireless broadband" service though, even though it isn't as you need a phone line.

When Digiweb or IBB advertise wireless broadband it is actually wireless. Their wireless broadband still isn't wireless in the home though unless you connect a wireless router to it.

It's like mb, MB, Mb and mB. The confusion will always be there and no one will ever fully know what anyone means when they say "wireless broadband" without some clarification.

edit: the wireless router/modem they're offering for €40 is a good price too. DSL + Wireless router is very handy if you move about the house with a laptop.

Advertisement