Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaffa Cakes - some issues I have.

• 10-10-2007 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Jaffa Cakes.

I love them.

But.

Why, oh why, do other companies try to mimic the greatness that is the McVitie's Jaffa Cake.

70529896_26081a717a.jpg

For instance, Jacob's

Jaffas%202.jpg

I mean, they are just no comparison, not at all.

And then McVitie's do something that I cannot comprehend either.

Blackcurrant and Lemon&Lime 'Jaffa' Cakes. I'm sorry, but Jaffa is a type of Orange, therefore Jaffa Cakes should ONLY be orange flavoured.

Not these other-floavoured abominations.

mcvitiesJaffaCakesBlackcurrant.jpgllpack.jpg

Now, one thing I DO actually like, are the Jaffa Cake Mini Rolls

Mcvities_Jaffa_Cake_Mini_Rolls_6_Pack.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Amen brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

i hear ya loud n clear

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are also Polish versions available in all sorts of flavours.

Jaffa Cakes are quite low in Weight Watchers points - yet another excuse to scoff a whole packet of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

gotta disagree here - The orange cakes by Lidl (imitation Jaffa's) have imo surpassed the McVities version...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

DesF wrote:

Blackcurrant and Lemon&Lime 'Jaffa' Cakes. I'm sorry, but Jaffa is a type of Orange, therefore Jaffa Cakes should ONLY be orange flavoured.

Not these other-floavoured abominations.

mcvitiesJaffaCakesBlackcurrant.jpgllpack.jpg
    Maybe because the poles have a very similar thing to Jaffa Cakes but they come in lots of different flavours. They are made by Wedel I think, which as far as I know Cadbury's own. Perhaps these are proving popular in the many polish shops, centra's, spar's etc, and not just with the polish.

Maybe, just maybe????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I like these Polish cake things

GingerbreadPlumWedel.jpg

They are the plum flavoured ones, but they also come in Apple and Strawberry.

Gingerbread with a kind of jelly filling covered in chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

JACOBS ALL THE way......!

(well that is until they changed them a few months back and now their just horrible)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I'm 97% sure that both McVities and Jacobs Jaffa Cakes are made by the same company, United Biscuits.

Cream Cracker for example are all made by UB, whether Jacobs, tesco etc. Bit of a scam really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

always prefered jacobs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

zeusnero wrote: »
    gotta disagree here - The orange cakes by Lidl (imitation Jaffa's) have imo surpassed the McVities version...

They really have!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

DesF wrote: »

Correct- but the word jaffa is lost on many, and if a young lad asked his ma to get some "blackcurrant cakes" she might come home with something else. And if they named them after a certain type of blackcurrant nobody would have a clue what they were at all!

The word jaffa is lost on many, just like the "malt" in malteasers is. Many names have been with you since you were a kid and you take them for granted and do not question their oddness, like 7up, whole paragraph on it name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_up

I always hated the colour of the jacobs pack, and the mcvities pack looks good with its dark blue. They are low in WW points since they are so light- a common scam WW do, quote very small portion sizes so things appear "low in points"

Advertisement