Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Match You Have Seen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Shelbourne -vs- Hajduk Split

Without a shadow of a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pats 4 Bohs 3 FAI cup
    Pats 3 Slovan Bratislava 4 UEFA cup
    Pats 3 Bohs 3
    Pats 3 Derry 4

Az 7 Lisbon 9 < i lost track of the score of that one Uefa Cup

Ireland Spain wc 2002 and Bohs 4-3 are my joint winners

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Arsenal 2-4 Manchester United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Has to be Istanbul in 2005 Ac Milan-Liverpool for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

In terms of sheer OMG HOW THE FUP DID THAT HAPPEN??!!! CL final 99 and CL final 05, and Deportivo overcoming Milan after being 4-1 down in 04.

in terms of best football played, perhaps Utd's performance against Roma last season, i dont think i watched a more resounding victory at such a high level before. but it must be said i've a very short term memory when it comes to football though.

• Advertisement

Some of my favourites are already mentioned but ones tharent on that list are:

Romania 3 - 2 Argentina WC 1994
    Czech Republic 3 - 2 Holland Euro 4
    Argentina 2 - 2 England 98
    France 2 - 1 Italy Euro 2000
    Portugal 3 - 2 England Euro 2000

United Bayern Final in 99 cos of how exciting the last few mins were, match itself wasnt great.
    Arsenal 1 - 2 Barcelona - great Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Its definitely that Spain Yugoslavia game mentioned in the original post. Pighead watched that game with his sister at home. She bloody well despises football and we had a row over me watching the game(she wanted to watch sons and daughters). By half time she was hooked. When Spain equalized she jumped off her chair and started shouting Meeeeennnndddiieeetaaaaaaa! Cracking game.

That Charlton Sunderland 1st divison playoff from about 10 years back was quality as well. In terms of pure atmosphere Dundalk beating Bohs in the cup final in 2002 ranks highly also. Tell everybody you know Gary Haylock is better than Crowe. We started that chant.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Arsenal 2-6 Man Utd
    Man utd 6-1 Arsenal
    Man Utd 2-1 Bayern Munich
    Juventus 2-3 Man Utd
    Man Utd 4-1 Benfica
    I'm a Liverpool fan btw ;)
    Ireland 3-0 Russia
    Real Madrid 7-3 Eintracht Frankfurt
    Hungary 6-3 England
    Hungary 7-1 England
    Wasn't at the last 3, saw highlights.
    My favourite game of all time as a neutral was(which is probably a good idea as you will get a lot of posts similar to mine):
    Italy 3-2 Brazil 1982 WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I wasn't actually around to see this match but:

1954 World Cup Final- West Germany 3-2 Hungary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Some of my favourites are already mentioned but ones tharent on that list are:

Czech Republic 3 - 2 Holland Euro 4
    Argentina 2 - 2 England 98
    France 2 - 1 Italy Euro 2000
    Portugal 3 - 2 England Euro 2000

United Bayern Final in 99 cos of how exciting the last few mins were, match itself wasnt great.
    Arsenal 1 - 2 Barcelona - great Final

I was at that game - had my own commentary position w/monitor and all...but that's a story for another day;)

So many great games from Utds treble winning season, but my favourite was the F.A. Cup semi-final replay(last ever) against Arsenal. It had everything. 2 teams at the peak of their powers, a Keano sending-off:o , a last gasp peno save to bring it into extra-time and then THAT goal from Giggs to put 10 man Utd into the final. It was a defining moment, from then on there was no stopping Utd.

Another game that will live long in the memory was on Jan 5th 1992 when the great Milan team of the early 90's absolutely trounced Napoli 5-0 in Serie A. It was the most complete team footballing performance I have ever seen! It was so good Sky repeated it on several occasions over the following weeks. I have the full game on tape - I'm going to look at it later to refresh my memory.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

City v Gillingham, 1999 Division 2 Play Off Final. 2-0 down with a minute to go, Horlock pulled one back before Dickov dried my tears with an absolute belter in injury time. Step forward Nicky Weaver to save a few pens and end the darkest days in our history. Apparently Liam Gallagher had stormed out of the ground with five mins left and was desperate to get back in. I even have my pic with the trophy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Plenty of top games mentioned here.
    Gotta say, WC2002 was incredible IMO.
    South Korea provided some crackers, althought this match sticks in my mind most for some reason.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6BGXSDKqk
    Croatia beating Italy 2-1 after going 1 goal behind, and the Italians having a clear goal disallowed late on :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle United

Great game

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Santry Siro Massacre

Coldest Day of my Eircom League Career too!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Arsenal 2-4 Manchester United was the best match I've ever seen. It was just incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

PHB wrote:
    Arsenal 2-4 Manchester United was the best match I've ever seen. It was just incredible.
    Terrific match alright, and right up there.

Also, the Spurs 3-4 Man City mentioned in the original post was pretty surreal. City 3-0 down at half time, Barton sent off on the half time whistle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With my Engerland hat on it would have to be erm Svens debut or

Germany 1 - 5 Liverpool
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_AuE1QUkkeI

After Keggers exited with a whimper all looked lost, then a Swede from the promised land arrived and transformed a side with talent but no shape or
    confidence into a machine that could hammer a lousy German side at Munich. :)

Alas it was never quite as good again.

A cracker from my 'second' team was Wolves - Leicester in 2003, Leicester raced into a 3 goal lead in the first half and it was surely curtains for the "Dingles", but no! A 4 goal reply with Cameron scoreing a brace. Great spirit pity they did'nt have more talent that season.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

An Citeog wrote:
    I wasn't actually around to see this match but:

1954 World Cup Final- West Germany 3-2 Hungary

I love that video, something really Monty Pythony about it!

Mine is probably Liverpool Milan final, just for the sheer range of emotions i felt throughout that game.

Also, the Spurs 3-4 Man City mentioned in the original post was pretty surreal. City 3-0 down at half time, Barton sent off on the half time whistle.

And we had Jon Macken in the team so it was like playing with 9, though he did manage to score the winner somehow. Best double save I've seen as well from Arne Aresen. 5 mins and 20 secs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De2PY3uj0ls

"Tottenham head towards Round 5 of the FA Cup. They're 2 up now inside 20 minutes". Ha!

How pis*ed would you have been sittin at the far end and seeing no goals?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wc 2006 Ukraine 0 - Switzerland 0
    Ah the memories :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

PHB wrote:

Yeah, that game was incredible. The incident before the match really added to it aswell!

Back in the days when a John O'Shea goal was a rare thing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This match always comes to mind and Kdjac mentioned it.

AZ 3-2 Sporting

The defending was shíte so DesF probably wouldn't have been impressed with the end to end football. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Wc 2006 Ukraine 0 - Switzerland 0
    Ah the memories :rolleyes:

Obviously too young to remember Ireland v Egypt in the 94 WC. :p

d22ontour wrote:
    Obviously too young to remember Ireland v Egypt in the 94 WC. :p

Oh god, watching those highlights again gives me goosebumps. What an incredible match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

best game i have been to - Ireland v Italy in 2005, 1-2. the first half was simply brilliant.

best game i have seen on tv - united v roma 7-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

These 2 from the 80's have always stuck in my memory.
    Liverpool 5 - Forest 0
    Denmark 6 - Uruguay 1
    1st Half & 2nd Half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Blackhall Gaels 0-11 0-10 Simonstown in the 2003 Meath Senior Championship Football Final. :D
    Shelbourne 2-0 Hadjuk Split (CL campaign a few years back)
    Bohemians 3-3 UCD (Cup game many moons ago)
    Bohemians 4-6 Shelbourne (League game at Dalyer about 6 years ago)
    Derry City 0-0 (3-0 on penalties) Shelbourne (Cracking atmosphere, drama by the bucketload, only thing wrong was the result)

Seen manys a classic on the telly but nothing compares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

best game i have been to - Ireland v Italy in 2005, 1-2. the first half was simply brilliant.
    That's when I realised how good Italy where. Most of our players were at their very best. Duff had an absolutely brilliant game. Italy still beat us at home which was rare under Kerr. They then beat Holland in Amsterdam which was also rare. Led to me winning €1,200 on them at the world cup. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

France - Brazil '86 World Cup

http://www.planetworldcup.com/CUPS/1986/qf_bra_v_fra.html

Check out the lineups!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Celtic 6 - 2 Rangers

http://www.lonestarceltic.com/demolition_derby.php

Mainly because I can watch this goal over and over again:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzAitoxWm78

There's no better way to sum up Henrik Larsson than that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

World cup semi final 2006 between Germany and Italy was a cracker of a 0-0 draw. serious. constant attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

evad_lhorg wrote:
    World cup semi final 2006 between Germany and Italy was a cracker of a 0-0 draw. serious. constant attacking.

Yeah that was a classic 0-0, was enthralling really, Del Piero's goal was class I thought in extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Its gotta be Argentina vs Holland in 98
    Just for Bergkamp's winner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Barcelona 5 - 0 Real Madrid 1994 or maybe it was 95

Barcelona 3 - 2 Valencia 1997

Real Madrid 3 - 5 Sevilla 2007

REal Madrid 3 - 3 Barcelona 2007

Milan 6 - 0 Inter 2001

Romania 3 - 2 Argentina 1994

MIlan 5 - 0 Real Madrid 1989

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Milan 4 - 0 Barcelona

Awesome game that, now that I recall. Savicevic's lob... mmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Earliest great game I can really remember, other than Italia 90 and the Sheffield derby in the FA Cup semi-final, was probably Milan and Gothenburg around 1992, where Marco Van Basten scored all four goals in a 4-0 victory, one of which was the sweetest overhead kick imaginable. My very first footballing hero.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Athlone Vs. UCD play off from a few years back, when Myler was with us was a ****ing insane match.

Pity we lost :(

tdv wrote:
    Barcelona 5 - 0 Real Madrid 1994 or maybe it was 95

Barcelona 3 - 2 Valencia 1997

Real Madrid 3 - 5 Sevilla 2007

REal Madrid 3 - 3 Barcelona 2007

Milan 6 - 0 Inter 2001

Romania 3 - 2 Argentina 1994

MIlan 5 - 0 Real Madrid 1989

Oh yeah! What a masterclass that was. Do you remember Van Bastens header from the 18 yard line?!

Edit: The Van Basten header was actually in the fist leg in the Bernabeu. Seriously lads, what a feckin header!:eek: ...although technically an og;)

Here's the goals from both legs - some crackers in the 5-0 aswell(especially Ancelottis!)...also look out for the worst offside decision of all time:D :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

mike65 wrote:
    With my Engerland hat on it would have to be erm Svens debut or

Germany 1 - 5 Liverpool
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_AuE1QUkkeI

After Keggers exited with a whimper all looked lost, then a Swede from the promised land arrived and transformed a side with talent but no shape or
    confidence into a machine that could hammer a lousy German side at Munich. :)

Mike.
    would put that on my list as well,still cant believe we thumped the germans 5-1. also man utd winning the champions league final v bayern munich

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Earliest great game I can really remember, other than Italia 90 and the Sheffield derby in the FA Cup semi-final, was probably Milan and Gothenburg around 1992, where Marco Van Basten scored all four goals in a 4-0 victory, one of which was the sweetest overhead kick imaginable. My very first footballing hero.

Me too.
    I tried to model myself on him when I was playing schoolboy:o ...the perfect striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Thing about the Utd match against Munich was that, having watched it again since, it really was a pretty poor match. The last crazy three mins or so just made it seem like a great match. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

I'd have to go for:

Utd - Arsenal Cup Semi Replay in '99
    Liverpool Champs league final in '05
    England Argentina in France '98
    Liverpool - West Ham Cup Final '06
    Italy - Germany World Cup Semi

Most've been mentioned already, but that England - Argentina match was class. Had everything you'd want with your typical England penalty shoot-out failings. And the ITV commentary on the last penalty of: "Will he score Ron?" "Yes." "OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

Yeh, the United Bayern match was pretty ppor bar the crazy 3 mins :) United 4 - 2 Arsenal was something else, but also that FA Cup semi in 99 was amazing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

so many, but the ones that really inspired and stayed with me are, off the top of my head...

Newcastle 5 Manchester Utd 0 EPL 96/97
    Newcastle 3 West Ham 0 EPL 95/96 (the week after we lost 1-0 at home to Man Utd, this is still arguably our best EPL performance ever)
    Newcastle 3 FC Barcelona 2 CL 97/98
    Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 EPL 95/96
    Newcastle 4 Manchester Utd 3 EPL 01/02
    Feyenoord 2 Newcastle 3 Cl 02/03
    Spain 4 Yugoslavia 3 Euro 2000
    Romania 3 Argentina 2 USA 94
    England 1 Germany 1 Euro 96
    Nigeria 4 Brazil 3 Atlanta 96
    Nigeria 3 Argentina 2 Atlanta 96
    Spain 1 France 2 Euro 2000
    Holland 0 Italy 0 Euro 2000
    Brazil 3 Italy 3 Le Tournoi 97
    Man Utd 3 Barcelona 3 CL 99
    Barcelona 3 Man Utd 3 CL 99
    Man Utd 2 Real Madrid 3 CL 00
    Real Madrid 3 Man Utd 1 CL 03
    Man Utd 4 Real Madrid 3 CL 03
    Real Madrid 1 Juventus 0 CL 95/96
    Real Madrid 4 Barcelona 1 97 Supercup
    Real Madrid 2 Barcelona 3 97/98
    Barcelona 3 Real Madrid 3 06/07
    Valencia 4 Barcelona 1 CL 00
    Deportivo 4 Milan 0 CL 04
    Czech Rep 3 Holland 2 Euro 04
    Ireland 1 Spain 1 WC 02
    Real Madrid 4 Espanyol 3 06/07
    Argentina 6 Yugoslavia 1 WC 06
    Liverpool 3 Milan 3 CL 05

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    United 4 - 2 Arsenal was something else
    I think I still have the half time Newstalk analysis where Eamon Dunphy and John Giles are both calling the two teams muck...

ha, that'd be funny to listen too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

EVERTON 4 LIVERPOOL 4,

cant believe noone mentioned this classico.

and of course Everton won the reply (1 single goal this time).

kenny resigned after that 4 all madness so very sweet.....;)

also the Everton bayern munich game was a classic.

even if i am biased a bit.:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement