Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Match You Have Seen

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    ha, that'd be funny to listen too :)
    sorry, guess I must have left it on my old laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

From a neutral perspective it has to be Istanbul, I watched it in the pub with the lads and come half time I thought it was done, then to see Liverpool fight back to 3 all and win in peno's was something ya couldn't script.

Ditto for the FA cup final between pool and west ham, gripping football.

As a Chelsea fan it had to be coming back from 2-0 down to beat liverpool 4-2 with my namesake coming on to net the two winners :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Istanbul was amazing, but I gotta second Czech Republic - Holland from the Euros, great game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Blackhall Gaels 0-11 0-10 Simonstown in the 2003 Meath Senior Championship Football Final. :D
    Shelbourne 2-0 Hadjuk Split (CL campaign a few years back)
    Bohemians 3-3 UCD (Cup game many moons ago)
    Bohemians 4-6 Shelbourne (League game at Dalyer about 6 years ago)
    Derry City 0-0 (3-0 on penalties) Shelbourne (Cracking atmosphere, drama by the bucketload, only thing wrong was the result)

Seen manys a classic on the telly but nothing compares.

Ha ha completely forgot bout that. Us havin to do a burner out of The Shed after Davy Byrne got the 6th. Spent the whole game gettin pelted with chips and bottles so we gave a swift middle finger gesture and legged it! Amazing! Brad Jones played in goal for Shels that day too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Has to be the Arsenal 2 - 4 United game for me, just for the memory of what happened whilst watching it.

Myself, my brother and a couple of mates were watching it in our local and there was a group of 5 or 6 Gooners there too, we were all having the banter and the freindly slagging before the match then at half time they were really laying it on thick we just laughed allong but inside I was soooo mad at United for letting me down lol. When we scored the third goal to go in front we went beserk and proceeded to give the lads the freindly rubdown they didnt react very well and it all kicked off in the bar, when the barstaff tried to kick us all out it all broke up as we all pleaded to let us stay so we wouldnt miss the end of the game, classic afternoons entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

From last season - West Ham 3 - Spurs 4, with a 5th minute injury time winner for Spurs. What a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

for me
    Utd v Arsenal FA Semi-Final 99 . The game had everything red card, ,saved peno ,greatest cup goal of all time and oh the most important thing the Right Result

other games
    everton 4 liverpool 4
    liverpool 4 newcastle 3
    arsenal 2 utd 4
    Italy 3 Brazil 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

1991 FA Cup: Everton 4 Liverpool 4. (we won the replay) :D

1994 Relegation Match Everton 3 Wimbledon 2

also LOL at kinaldos off the top of his head matches :) an easy to please memory man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Nobody remember the liverpool-alaves 5-4 Uefa cup final? what a match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Maybe the thread should just be for games you've actually seen. (not on a TV)

Cork City 4 - 4 Shelbourne, 1997.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Davei141 wrote:
    Nobody remember the liverpool-alaves 5-4 Uefa cup final? what a match

Indeed good shout

Most been mentioned so far but Leverkusen v Liverpool Champions League Quarter Final 2nd leg 2002 deserves a shout. Plenty of twists and turns in that and Lucio finally did in the Scousers :cool:

West Ham v Spurs last season was also a cracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Nunu wrote: »
    Oh yeah! What a masterclass that was. Do you remember Van Bastens header from the 18 yard line?!

Edit: The Van Basten header was actually in the fist leg in the Bernabeu. Seriously lads, what a feckin header!:eek: ...although technically an og;)

Here's the goals from both legs - some crackers in the 5-0 aswell(especially Ancelottis!)...also look out for the worst offside decision of all time:D :

That Milan team was without a doubt the best team I've seen play from my life time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Istanbul.

Honorary Mention to: Spurs Wigan last season, woke up Sunday morning, hungover, decided to watch, was class game, best thing was unexpectedly good, with great goals from Baines/ R. Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That united v arsenal game in 99 has to be up there with anything at that level. The game had absolutely everything, 3 long distance goals, one of which was one of the best of all time,several top class saves, a sending off, a missed injury time penalty, a mini pitch invasion, schmeichel playing on with an injury,a late disallowed goal from anelka, i could go on and on .

Sometimes, people can confuse good games with high scoring/poor defending, but this was football of the highest quality from 2 teams in their prime.

1989 - City 5 - 1 United. The game that got the ball rolling for me as a City fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

That united v arsenal game in 99...

Sometimes, people can confuse good games with high scoring/poor defending,

The definition of poor defending is Giggs' goal in that game. Starting with Vieira, who got the assist and then made a woeful attempt to win it back, then Dixon and both centre backs.

Classic game no doubt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Xavi6 wrote: »
    1989 - City 5 - 1 United. The game that got the ball rolling for me as a City fan.

..you had to go there:D

1994 - Utd 5 - 0 City (Kanchelskis hat trick)

1993 - City 2 - 3 Utd (Utd 2 down at half time, but come storming back in 2nd half. Keano scores a late winner...Mike Summerbee predicted during the interval in the Sky studios that he expected to see City go on to win by 4 or 5:D)

:p

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    The definition of poor defending is Giggs' goal in that game. Starting with Vieira, who got the assist and then made a woeful attempt to win it back, then Dixon and both centre backs.

Classic game no doubt though.

Would you stop! You can't put that goal down to bad defending. It was easily one of the greatest goals of all-time - the thundering finish actually makes it the best in my opinion. The defending doesn't stand out as bad to me, maybe someone could have brought him down before he entered the box, but other than that.

By your rationale all goals must be caused by bad defending... because all goals can be prevented.

..you had to go there:D

1994 - Utd 5 - 0 City (Kanchelskis hat trick)

1993 - City 2 - 3 Utd (Utd 2 down at half time, but come storming back in 2nd half. Keano scores a late winner...Mike Summerbee predicted during the interval in the Sky studios that he expected to see City go on to win by 4 or 5:D)

:p

Oh well if you insist.

2002 - City 3 - 1 United. Last Derby at Maine Road. The Goat was on fire.

2004 - City 4 - 1 United. A hammering at the COMS with SWP bagging a screamer.

2006 - City 3 - 1 United, but only cause of Fowler's five fingered gesture to the United fans. Quality.

I suppose the boys giving a masterclass in how to defend a lead in this year's game as well should get a mention.

:D

Would you stop! You can't put that goal down to bad defending. It was easily one of the greatest goals of all-time - the thundering finish actually makes it the best in my opinion.

By your rationale all goals must be caused by bad defending... because all goals can be prevented.
    It was a great run that could have been stopped but the Arsenal defenders were knackered and Giggs wasn't. Such a lazy pass to create the goal, and if you watch it again keep your eyes on Vieira. He makes a pathetic attempt to get back and win the ball back. Dixon then turned his back, something you are taught not to do from day one in the under 5's.

It was a great goal, but I just found it ironic that the poster mentioned that game and then mentioned bad defending.

Maradona against England on the other hand.

• Advertisement

Would you stop! You can't put that goal down to bad defending. It was easily one of the greatest goals of all-time - the thundering finish actually makes it the best in my opinion.

Seaman went down like a whore. If he'd have stood up it would've been a simple parry. Overrated goal if ever there was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Has better defending?

Neither had any tackles in it.

kdjac

It was a great run that could have been stopped but the Arsenal defenders were knackered and Giggs wasn't. Such a lazy pass to create the goal, and if you watch it again keep your eyes on Vieira. He makes a pathetic attempt to get back and win the ball back. Dixon then turned his back, something you are taught not to do from day one in the under 5's.

It was a great goal, but I just found it ironic that the poster mentioned that game and then mentioned bad defending.

Dixon was twisted in side out alright:D

But even that Maradona goal you could say was bad defending. I mean look at Peter Reid just giving up chasing him for example.
    I don't think it was bad defending in either goal by the way just showing how you can make a case for every goal being badly defended.

Dixon was twisted in side out alright:D

But even that Maradona goal you could say was bad defending. I mean look at Peter Reid just giving up chasing him for example.
    I don't think it was bad defending in either goal by the way just showing how you can make a case for every goal being badly defended.
    Fair enough, well I've made my case and I'm sticking to it. :D I wouldn't so much say bad defending as tired though.

The United-Barcelona game at the Nou Camp that season was the best game I saw that season by some distance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Michael Owen Vs. Argentina '98

Most over hyped goal ever.

Every seingle defender backs off him and shows him inside, such sh!te defending.

Chamote was terrible in that game and was unbeliveably bad for the goal.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Michael Owen Vs. Argentina '98

Most over hyped goal ever.

Every seingle defender backs off him and shows him inside, such sh!te defending.

Chamote was terrible in that game and was unbeliveably bad for the goal.
    100% agree, definitely the most over-rated goal ever.

100% agree, definitely the most over-rated goal ever.

Go on then pick a "great" goal and we will tear it apart :)

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Weah Vs. Verona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

or that Saudi geezer at the WC in 94...come to think of it a lot of great goals contain brutal defending! Or is it that the guys are so skilful that they make it look like brutal defending...?

Seaneh wrote: »
    Weah Vs. Verona.

Terribe defending he ran from his own box ffs and a not one decent tackle in :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMnR1QM5Te4

Class goal but Joesoap Giles doesnt like goals

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Go on then pick a "great" goal and we will tear it apart :)

kdjac
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6R_iYLca2gc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OKplXAWFZrA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mKj7AL-GGic

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gVkPT7jLdbc

Joesoap Giles swears by all the above.

That Rooney goal...shocking defensive clearing header tbh;)

I'd forgotten about that Senegal goal...talk about a rapier counter attack, cut the Danes to shreds.

The Argie goal, I think we can all agree is a thing of true beauty

I've never seen that last goal...feckin hilarious!

Cmon their easy 1st one Serbs sat back and allowed them to play with the ball then never picked up the defensive midfielder. bad defending.

2nd one jesus christ my 7 year old knows never hit a ball accross your own box.

3rd one i know denmark have fullbacks but i dont see them.

4th one is a screamer and nothing anyone could do.

:D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

How has Arsenal-Liverpool in '89 not been mentioned yet? :eek:

"Thomas, storming through the midfield..." - surely the best finish to a league season of all time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Best game I've ever seen was Inter V Sampdoria in 05 (Highlights here) . With 3 mins left it was 0-2 to Samp and Inter came back to win 3-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I remember a game with Liverpool and Manchester united with paul Ince playing for Liverpool and it being 2-2 at the end. Also S. Korea vs Italy was amazing.

Best games for me however are

Cork 3-2 Shamrock Rovers...2002... 2-0 down 3-2 up, and Jimmy Mulligan does the sublime before disappearing into oblivion. Legend!:D Terraces are dangerous places when a match like this happens.

Cork 3-2 Bohs....2003...George O'Callaghan winner last kick of the game.

Both games we came from the ashes and they are games I will just never forget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Spurs 3 United 5 - 3 nil down at half time, what a game that was

Advertisement