Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What game to get?

• 10-10-2007 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm getting an Xbox 360 at the weekend. I've found a great deal.
    Anyways, it only comes with the controller and headset. So I'm going to have to buy a game seperate. I won't be paying full price for it as I have six PS2 games to trade in for it and I should get 5% off with my student card.

So, any suggestions? I think I might get Rainbox six Vegas, I like that game out of the few games I've played, even though I suck at it. I don't think I'll be getting Halo 3 just yet.

Any other games that you can suggest? Not getting FIFA 08.

Oh, btw, are all games for the Xbox live?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Get Bioshock! The story is amazing and so is the whole experience! It has no Xbox Live multiplayer though but it is still worth it. Gears of War is also worth it. Online multiplayer is brill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

what are your favourite type of games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

My favourite games would be shooting ones. Preferably where I'm a sniper, but that really doesn't matter. I also like fairly realistic ones (eg with no big monsters) but that's not too important either.

What's the storyline of Bioshock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I only have my 360 about 4 or 5 weeks and got Bioshock with it. Excellent game and excellent storyline. Bit longwinded to go into it but well worth getting.

Halo 3 is an absolute must also and the online multiplayer is brilliant.

Have only starting playing Gears of War so cant really comment yet but good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

if you like being a sniper I would say that battlefield 2 MC is the best ..the single player game is not bad , but the online part of the game rules,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Rainbow six vegas, get another controller and play coop with a mate. Nothing like it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bioshock is terrific but from the sounds of it it may not be your thing. I suggest downloading the demo from Xbox live first. But it's one the best games available right now.

Call of Duty 4 is out next month and should have a great multiplayer and single player experience, you'll definitely want that on your to get list. Till then I'd recommend picking up COD2 if you see it really cheap anywhere, it has a great single player campaign.

If you're interested in online multiplayer then I'd recommend getting into it when a game is fairly new, that way there'll be more new players like yourself. Now would be a good time to get Halo 3 while everyone is still getting used to the maps.

far2gud wrote:
    Rainbow six vegas, get another controller and play coop with a mate. Nothing like it

Don't have enough for another controller yet, only reason I'm getting Xbox now is cause I found a ridiculously good deal. Will be getting another one for Christmas though.

if you like being a sniper I would say that battlefield 2 MC is the best ..the single player game is not bad , but the online part of the game rules,

So it's a good game? Might get this. I'll be playing online nearly all the time. Is online good for this game?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll have an idea on what games to get for Christmas too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

I think it is the best Xbox 360 online game, was released ages ago but has a big following still, I tried COD4 beta and still think that Battlefield 2 MC is the best online game I have purchased. be warned it is addictive

Bioshock is terrific but from the sounds of it it may not be your thing. I suggest downloading the demo from Xbox live first. But it's one the best games available right now.

Can you download demos free? Sorry for being a newbie, just getting into Xbox now.

Call of Duty 4 is out next month and should have a great multiplayer and single player experience, you'll definitely want that on your to get list. Till then I'd recommend picking up COD2 if you see it really cheap anywhere, it has a great single player campaign.

I'll probably get that at some stage. Is COD2 online? That's a huge attraction for me, so won't be buying a game unless it's online. Also, what do you all mean by "single player" and "multi player"? Are they just how you say playing online and playing by yourself?
    If you're interested in online multiplayer then I'd recommend getting into it when a game is fairly new, that way there'll be more new players like yourself. Now would be a good time to get Halo 3 while everyone is still getting used to the maps.

I'm not too good at games but I love playing them. So, I don't really mind if people get pissed off at me for getting them killed! All part of the fun for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Demos are free, if you want to play online (against other people) you need Xbox Live Gold which you have to pay for. You get one month free though so if you're buying a 360 now you're good to go. After that it's cheaper to get an Xbox Live gold subscription on Ebay (you buy them as cards with codes on them).

Single player = playing on your own, like when you're playing the "story mode" of a game

Multi player = playing online against real people

COD2 is online yes, and the single player is good too. COD4 is out at the start of November, I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

COD 4 is a must. From what I've played of the beta, it is by far the best FPS on the 360, yes that includes Halo 3. Halo 3 is good though. Not out for a couple of weeks though, so save some money, ALL OF YOU!
    Actually, all of the Call of Duty games are very different and all quality in their own right.
    Rainbow is a good game too, especially if you're a fan of realism and sniping.
    Gears is easy to pick up and play, with great online fun to be had. It's a mix of first and third person.
    Burnout is a must on any console. It's fast, furious and hella fun.
    Wait for PES08, there's a demo on live you can check out, it's decent.
    All of the above support online multiplayer and all except PES support system linking.
    -edit:Oh battlefield 2 is excellent as coady says.

If you are looking for a single player game with great story and hours of gameplay, get Oblivion, which is a fantasy medieval first person perspective role playing game (*gasp).

Bioshock is great yah, but is short and has no multiplayer, don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

From what you've said I'll have to say Rainbow Six: Vegas, Call of Duty too is good, but with only 8 ppl at once online its a bit limited, still better than call of duty 3 tho! Gears of war, Halo and Bioshock are all kinda unrealistic, not really my bag either, Rainbow six has decent singleplayer, decent co-op play with a friend and a good multiplayer, its realistic and has good customizable weapons (i.e. choose laser or scope or less recoil). Go for that!

Julez wrote:
    From what you've said I'll have to say Rainbow Six: Vegas, Call of Duty too is good, but with only 8 ppl at once online its a bit limited, still better than call of duty 3 tho! Gears of war, Halo and Bioshock are all kinda unrealistic, not really my bag either, Rainbow six has decent singleplayer, decent co-op play with a friend and a good multiplayer, its realistic and has good customizable weapons (i.e. choose laser or scope or less recoil). Go for that!

Yeah, you're right, after doing my research I think Rainbow is the game for me. Plus, my buddy has it so I can play online with him.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll get your gamertags sometime and I'll let ye see my (non-existent) shooting skills!

Oh, is there such a thing as Xbox Live Silver, or am I crazy?

Is the Xbox hard to set up and to get used to? I've always been a playstationer, but I really like the 360 so I'll give it a go.

Da Bounca wrote:
    COD 4 is a must. From what I've played of the beta, it is by far the best FPS on the 360

Excuse my ignorance, but what's FPS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

moneyman wrote:
    Yeah, you're right, after doing my research I think Rainbow is the game for me. Plus, my buddy has it so I can play online with him.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll get your gamertags sometime and I'll let ye see my (non-existent) shooting skills!

Oh, is there such a thing as Xbox Live Silver, or am I crazy?

Is the Xbox hard to set up and to get used to? I've always been a playstationer, but I really like the 360 so I'll give it a go.

Xbox Live Silver is what you get by default, for free. It lets you download demo's etc, but not play online so no use for you.

An FPS is a First Person Shooter ala Halo 3, RB6:LV, CoD4 (I agree with the other posts here, that is going to be amazing) while the likes of Gears of War are 3rd Person Shooters.
    It relates to the camera's point of view, in an FPS you look through the main charachters eyes, in 3rd person you can actually see the main charachter and look at him/her from above/behind/mixture.

mcgovern wrote:
    Xbox Live Silver is what you get by default, for free. It lets you download demo's etc, but not play online so no use for you.

An FPS is a First Person Shooter ala Halo 3, RB6:LV, CoD4 (I agree with the other posts here, that is going to be amazing) while the likes of Gears of War are 3rd Person Shooters.
    It relates to the camera's point of view, in an FPS you look through the main charachters eyes, in 3rd person you can actually see the main charachter and look at him/her from above/behind/mixture.

I still get a month of live subscription free, I was just wondering what it was. Thanks.

I understand now. Thanks for that.

I'm almost 100% sure it'll be Rainbow that I'll get. And I can borrow some of my friends games to try them out.
    Do game prices usually come down at Christmas or do they stay the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

moneyman, if you live in Dublin, call into the Xbox Live Gaming Centre
    on sth William street. It's literally around the corner from Stephens Green shopping centre.

You can try all the games there on xbox live, tis great craic. Obviously there is small fee, but it's well worth it. There's allways staff around to help you as well.
    And the more the merrier.

Da Bounca wrote: »
    moneyman, if you live in Dublin, call into the Xbox Live Gaming Centre
    on sth William street. It's literally around the corner from Stephens Green shopping centre.

You can try all the games there on xbox live, tis great craic. Obviously there is small fee, but it's well worth it. There's allways staff around to help you as well.
    And the more the merrier.

Unfortunately I don't live in or near Dublin. Thanks for letting me know, though. :)

Anyone know if I can get a cable in Argos to link up the live cable to my broadband box, it's down the hall in a room that will be too far away from the Xbox to reach. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it, don;t want to get my Xbox and not be able to go online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

moneyman wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't live in or near Dublin. Thanks for letting me know, though. :)

Anyone know if I can get a cable in Argos to link up the live cable to my broadband box, it's down the hall in a room that will be too far away from the Xbox to reach. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it, don;t want to get my Xbox and not be able to go online!

GOOGLE is great you know!And you can just get a new gamertag every month and you wont have to pay for xbox live,should be ok for a casual gamer like yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement