Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin area drive?

Options
  • 10-10-2007 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend a nice drive in and around the Dublin area? Want to bring the new motor for a good spin over the weekend with a bit of all roads thrown in! I live in north county Dublin and have only got to drive to and from work up and down the M1 (20 minutes each way) so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

omega man wrote:
    Anyone recommend a nice drive in and around the Dublin area? Want to bring the new motor for a good spin over the weekend with a bit of all roads thrown in! I live in north county Dublin and have only got to drive to and from work up and down the M1 (20 minutes each way) so far.

The back road between Swords and Drogheda going through Ballyboughal and the Naul has always been a favourite of mine - used to head up that way in my Impreza when I was bored with the N1 as it was then. Road surface isn't great but some good twisty stuff up and down hill, and a few straights. Does get a bit narrow after the Naul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Cheers ROR. I live close enough to that route but have never done it from Swords. Isnt there a couple of Fixed cameras on the way??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

omega man wrote:
    Cheers ROR. I live close enough to that route but have never done it from Swords. Isnt there a couple of Fixed cameras on the way??

It's not too long since I was up that way and I don't recall any camera's on that road. I know that sometimes the Gards sit at the bottom of the hill in the Naul as it's very steep and fairly difficult to actually keep to the 50km/h limit.

Just watch out for brake fade on the section after the Naul heading north - had a few scary moments up there in an old Mondeo!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Some of the best driving roads in the greater Dublin area are in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. Ticknock up to the Sally Gap and on towards Glencree and Laragh. Might be a bit far, but if you made an early start down the M50 you could have a crisp autumn morning of driving heaven.

If you have never done it; it really is a treat, and so close to the city.

cjt156 wrote:
    Some of the best driving roads in the greater Dublin area are in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. Ticknock up to the Sally Gap and on towards Glencree and Laragh. Might be a bit far, but if you made an early start down the M50 you could have a crisp autumn morning of driving heaven.

If you have never done it; it really is a treat, and so close to the city.

Been a long long time since i was up that way but from what i recall its a beautiful area. Would you come off the M50 at sandyford and up towards the Enniskerry direction?

• Advertisement

Head toward Enniskerry/Stepaside initially but then take the signs for Ticknock, after that you're in the foothills & its onwards and upwards.

cjt156 wrote:
    Head toward Enniskerry/Stepaside initially but then take the signs for Ticknock, after that you're in the foothills & its onwards and upwards.

Nice one cjt156.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

cjt156 wrote: »
    If you want to drive up a dead end

fletch wrote: »
    If you want to drive up a dead end

Did I say to drive up Ticknock Road (which has a very obvious Cul de Sac sign)? I said head towards Ticknock & then you're in the foothills, at this point you head upwards - as in into the mountains.

Maybe try driving the roads instead of googling them.:rolleyes:

Advertisement