Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stamp duty for couple (but only one 1st time buyer)

Options
  • 10-10-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm sure this question must have been asked and ansered before but I couldn't find it in a search.

If a couple want to buy a house and one half has already owned property but the other is a first time buyer, what are the implications for stamp duty? I've heard rumours (probably of the urban myth variety) that the 1st time buyer can "buy" the house and the other half gets a kind of "pre-nup" in case they split?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Is it new / old?
    Whats the square footage?

If its new and under a certain size (125 sq metres?) its stamp duty free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

If you buy jointly, then full stamp duty must be paid.

If you buy in the name of the ftb, you would need to ensure a good agreement is in place.

The difficulty is the mortgage. If you get a joint mortgage, (and the bank have to agree that the ftb will be sole legal owner), revenue have stated full stamp duty is still payable, as the the non ftb is also contributing to the payments of the mortgage.

technically, then, the non ftb also can't be on the mortgage, which would likely lower the amount you can borrow.:mad:

Check out revenue.ie, leaflets and guides, for individuals, stamp duty, first time buyers faq july 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

See this thread:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=57231

particularly the later pages, basically, you will not be able to avail of any exemptions unless it is a new build.

Advertisement