Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Length Of Warranty?

• 10-10-2007 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

How long does a phone warranty cover new phones for? I bought a Nokia from Vodafone site in July and theres just a minor problem with it, loose speaker or something so sometimes it dosent ring, just vibrate.
    They say here as long as your warranty covers its free.....but they dont tell you how long the warranty is, its probably somewhere else on the site but i was just wondering does anyone know??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Poppers1888

Warranty is for 1 year. Within in 2 weeks of purchase they will replace it after 2 weeks they will repair it free of charge may take up to 2 weeks to get back though and you may have to pay a deposit in store for a loan phone which you will get back when you bring the phone back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

most warrantys are 24months now and "store policy" is never refund only send phones for repair regardless of when purchased! look at consumerconnect.ie it has lots of info on warrantys and consumer rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

nokia's warranty is two years but vodafone only deal with it up to a year i believe. after that you bring it to a nokia place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

aren't all electrical goods (including phones) automatically covered for 12months under the consumer act or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

cool, il just post it off to the repair service, its freepost although they reccomend registered post, i have an old knackered phone that will get me by for a week or too as long as i push the buttons really hard :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

Nokia provide a 2 year warranty and most other manufacturers provide 1 year. Vodafone extend the warranty of all manufacters (on vodafone handsets) to 2 years and you can return it to any vodafone outlet for repair within that period.

the majority of manufacturers now provide a 24 month warranty for mobile phones excluding the battery which is usually covered against defects for 12 months.vodafone only use the manufacturers warranty. maybe competition authority should look into warranty repair of mobile phones regarding why so many new phones need repair within months of purchase??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the majority of manufacturers now provide a 24 month warranty for mobile phones excluding the battery which is usually covered against defects for 12 months.vodafone only use the manufacturers warranty. maybe competition authority should look into warranty repair of mobile phones regarding why so many new phones need repair within months of purchase??
    Ive just browsed a few manufacter sites and it appears Nokia and Sony Ericsson are the only ones offering a 2 year warranty. Alcatel, Motorola and Samsung clearly state a 1 year warranty on their sites .. I couldn't find reference to warranty periods on any others.

As regards why so many new phones need repair within months of purchase I would assume most eletronic devices that were carried in a pocket or whatever about 15 hours a day and got as much use as mobile phones do (mind you can't think any other product really) would be equally as prone to faults .. thats my opinion only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Samsung, Sony Ericsson and Nokia offer 2 year. Samsung just recently added it so their site might not reflect it yet. The two who only offer 1 year are the ones who really should be offering more: Motorola, Sagem, Alcatel

foggy_lad wrote: »
    most warrantys are 24months now and "store policy" is never refund only send phones for repair regardless of when purchased! look at consumerconnect.ie it has lots of info on warrantys and consumer rights.
    I bought a RAZR V3 in the now defunct Meteor store in Listowel a few years back. Like V3s do, it died in 2 days. Brought it back and they refunded me! I was shocked. I didn't even ask for one.

On the other hand, my Nokia 6680 is now just over 2 years old and still working perfectly. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

jimmychin wrote: »
    aren't all electrical goods (including phones) automatically covered for 12months under the consumer act or something like that?

I think you are making the common error here of assuming a warranty means a refund? You are correct, but the reseller retains the right to repair/replace the item. Law definitely says 1 year, nokia/ sony offer a second year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Vodafone don't differentiate. All their phones will be repaired within two years and REPLACED within four weeks of purchase if found to be faulty (when bought in store, not online) and in good as new condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Karsini wrote: »
    I bought a RAZR V3 in the now defunct Meteor store in Listowel a few years back. Like V3s do, it died in 2 days. Brought it back and they refunded me! I was shocked. I didn't even ask for one.

On the other hand, my Nokia 6680 is now just over 2 years old and still working perfectly. :)

He's just bitter over Three Customer Care, which in all fairness is ****e :)

sagem also now offer 2year warranty and a repair is great if things go well, but when your own battery and phone is changed without the repair company informing you then its no longer a repair but a replacement for a 2nd hand phone which could be in worse condition than what you've given in for repair. sigma and mprc are expert at this!

Advertisement