Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[REQ] New Phone

• 10-10-2007 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi all, im looking to get a new phone, & can i get a review on the following phones as im needing one, my previous one Nokia 6100 is outdated & gonna give it to someone who has a Nokia 3310, yeah they still exist! :D

The one's i've had my beady eyes on are:

Technical Specs:

Sony Ericsson K750
    the specs are the same as the K750i i think.

Sony Ericsson K550

I couldnt find any extra info on the K750 as its out of stock, on the carphone warehouse site but was told a few more in shops as its a comparison between all of the networks.

The K750i is E149 in the shop, E10 cheaper online
    The K550i is E179 "" ""

I wanna find out which phone is better in the long run.

PS. will be moving to meteor as well, compared to other networks as im with 02 now, but meteor have 1000 characters in their text's or did i see differently? As that would be cheaper again in the long run!

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

My opinion,stick with a Nokia. Any experiences I have had with other brands have made me stick with Nokia.

The Nokia 6300 is a nice phone,got it a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

standbyme wrote:
    meteor have 1000 characters in their text's or did i see differently?

I thought a text message (SMS) was 160 characters only. Or am I wrong?

Sony Ericssons are very popular at the moment, and seem to be serious competitors to Nokia.

Vodafone have a promotion running at the moment for the Nokia N70 on prepay for 149 Euro. Some people have said that the keypad is a little small for them, but it seems like a decent phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Love the sony ericcson k750i. Great looking and performing phone. Went off nokia when they changed their chargers. That was one of there stong points. Now have about 20 old nokia chargers lying around. Sheesh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Go with the K750i.
    Great phone and a fantastic camera. I have just upgraded from mine to the w580i but I used the K750i for around two years without many problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

BFassassin wrote:
    Go with the K750i.
    Great phone and a fantastic camera. I have just upgraded from mine to the w580i but I used the K750i for around two years without many problems.

That's a really nice phone phone & saw the price as well :eek:

One of the reasons i liked the phone as a friend of mine has one (now down the country-the phone that is :)
    is the neat camera amongst other things as well, my mind is almost made up after seeing the review on the site, looks impressive.

Grawns I also noticed that about the nokia chargers as i got the 6131 for my mum (months of nagging-for the phone that is)
    The only upside of that is, nobody'll borrow it as it will only fit her phone AFAIK.

dudara I just checked my mum's phone, went to make a text msg & it showed 1000/1 characters, instead of showing 160/1, i must find out or unless someone with meteor can explain that :p

The person im giving the phone away to has the Nokia 3310 which has 500 char, but with the old battery in it, it'll most likely go flat before it's sent if i recall rightly. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimmychin

the k750i is a great phone, had one for over a year and never had any probs, but it is over 2 years old (maybe more).

the k550i is basically a newer release of the same phone.

i dont think there is much different underneath the cover, but the buttons on the k550 take some getting use to (supposedly)

i would go for the newer version of the same phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

dudara wrote:
    I thought a text message (SMS) was 160 characters only. Or am I wrong?

1 SMS message contain 160 characters of payload + overhead.

Some phones support multipart messages, which means once you go over 160 characters you are sending (and being charged for) 2 seperate messages. The person receiving the messages may have a phone that will combine the multipart messages into a single message, otherwise they will appear as two seperate messages from the same sender (messages usually start with 1/2 and 2/2 to show order).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have the SE W810i, great phone, MP3 sound is excellent and the picture quality is also. No complaints.
    Am due an upgrade so will probably stick with the Sony Erics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Darthrodney

I was a Nokia man too ... but once i gave a SE phone a shot I am now a SE devotee.

I would recommend the W810i very highly, its newer than the K750i an as per previous posts has excellent camera, mp3 capabilities. Both me and my missus use them.

There are a bunch of new SE phones just come out (W580i, T650i) and coming out (k850i etc) so the old ones should drop in price even more.

The W810i and W810i are pretty much exactly the same spec as the k750i but much cheaper ... go to sonyericsson.com , they have a phone comparison option where you can compare up to 3 different handsets so you can see exactly what the differences are.

But with any SE phone I'd be surprised if you weren't happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have the k550i, it's a grand phone. I used to have the w800i which is pretty much the k750i with an upgraded firmware. The 550i takes a little getting used to but it's the better of the two. For the sake of the €30 price difference you get a new model phone, much better screen and also the phone is a lot better looking and a bit less brick-like.
    If you're changing to meteor, look on meteor.ie and see how much they sell the k550i with a sim for, might work out cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

the k610i is a pretty sweet phone for 99euro..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

I was a Nokia man too ... but once i gave a SE phone a shot I am now a SE devotee.

I would recommend the W810i very highly, its newer than the K750i an as per previous posts has excellent camera, mp3 capabilities. Both me and my missus use them.

The W810i and W850i are pretty much exactly the same spec as the k750i but much cheaper ... go to sonyericsson.com , they have a phone comparison option where you can compare up to 3 different handsets so you can see exactly what the differences are.

But with any SE phone I'd be surprised if you weren't happy with it.

Wow! i didnt realise there would be much in this, but i'll be thankful in the long run!

The w810i is the forerunner at the moment:

Its much cheaper at (thanks Simona1986 for that tip)

Meteor compared to Carphone

As i noticed the functionality of the buttons, not great for texting? & the memory =

Memory Stick Micro (M2)- 64 MB internal memory v
    Memory Stick Duo Pro (up to 2GB), 512 MB card included- 20 MB shared memory,
    The 512MB card will come in handy as i can stop borrowing my brother's ipod shuffle (he got it free with his billpay phone years ago)
    But what is -20 MB shared is that internal mem?

I also like the earphones that reach into your ear instead of hanging on just but like the other SE camera phones, i didnt see where you can close the shutter?

I suppose that's for another day, as i thought that phone was more of a music phone instead of a camera phone & less capability?

BTW: Onikage
    That's right i found out why you have a 1000 char, a few hours ago as its handy for sending onto someone instead of a few texts!
    & there's me thinking meteor were very generous :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I have the w810i at the moment, upgraded to that from the k750i.

Definitely go for the SE, w810i if you can. The K750i was a great phone for me, lasted a long time, longest I had any phone for but the one problem I had with it was the bloody joystick!! It's a widespread problem on the k750i that after time and use a lot of dust and crap will get in and under the joystick which makes the use of it extremely annoying. It can be fixed free under warranty but better to go with the W810i which has the joystick covered and this is much less likely.

Oh and the battery life on Sony Ericsson phones is much, much better than that of any Nokia phone that I know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone who types a 1000 char text message is a twat, imo.

This was Bargain Alerts last time I checked!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

My wife has a SE K750i for over a year. It's a great phone. I get Nokia phones through my work but if I was buying my own now I'd consider a Sony Ericssson also.

Was very impressed with the K750i package. The pc lead and an adapter for the memory stick to be used in a regular reader were supplied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

tvnutz wrote: »
    My opinion,stick with a Nokia. Any experiences I have had with other brands have made me stick with Nokia.

The Nokia 6300 is a nice phone,got it a few weeks ago.
    Get out, you have no idea what you're talking about!

Sony Ericsson for me all the way. Would choose k750i over k550i for battery life and keypad. I'd choose the W810i over either of these two. I use the k800i myself though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The w810i is the newer version of the k750i. Probably the cheapest phone you'll get with a autofocus camera. Other phones like the k850i don't have autofocus. Makes a big difference with photos. The w810i has some extra walkman functionality vs the k750i and comes with better earphones and a 3.5"" earphone adapter.

The Sonys aren't as good as the Nokia's for texting. But other than that I reckon the Sonys are better in every way. More features, better battery life etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

BostonB wrote: »
    The w810i is the newer version of the k750i. Probably the cheapest phone you'll get with a autofocus camera. Other phones like the k850i don't have autofocus. Makes a big difference with photos. The w810i has some extra walkman functionality vs the k750i and comes with better earphones and a 3.5"" earphone adapter.

The Sonys aren't as good as the Nokia's for texting. But other than that I reckon the Sonys are better in every way. More features, better battery life etc.

Sonys are great for texting... just horrible if you have the k550i keypad imo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Sonys are great for texting... just horrible if you have the k550i keypad imo ;)

I had a k750i and now a w810i. Haven't used a Nokia in years, but even now if I pick a Nokia up I can text much faster. The predictive text seems smarter. On my Sony's it picks the wrong word a lot, and its slower to correct your mistakes. Perhaps it depends how you text though. Other than that I think the Sony is great.

Advertisement