Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

So, has anyone else burned their tummy with the iron yet? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Was at the hospital today and they ended up telling me that I couldn't leave without doing a glucose test as my sugar levels were so high so I had to drink that really really sweet drink and I have to ring tomorrow to see if I have diabetes or not, I know why my sugar levels were so high.....I stupidly had a can of coke and a bar of chocolate late last night while watching TV in bed so I didn't burn it off, I kept telling them this was why my levels were so high but they still wanted me to do the test. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Hahaha no but i keep running into door handles and giving myself bruises. . . and the back of the chair at work is belly height (not normally) and i need arm extensions for some haircuts :eek:

35 weeks done and i have washed all ben babygros . . . i held one up to him and it came just to his waist. . i don't remember him being that small :eek::eek::eek: they're tiny, hope i'm ready for this . . . :o

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Twinkleboots

A week overdue today.... starting to feel a bi fed up now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 beanser

Haven't burnt my tummy yet, but I've totally lost all spatial awareness since I've been pregnant. Ploughed my car into my mam's front gates, which were OPEN no less. Big dents all over the side of the car and ripped the back bumper off. I've driven in and out of that parking space a million times. The gates were fine though, which is a good thing as they're worth more than my car!! :D

• Advertisement

cbyrd wrote: »
    35 weeks done and i have washed all ben babygros . . . i held one up to him and it came just to his waist. . i don't remember him being that small :eek::eek::eek: they're tiny, hope i'm ready for this . . . :o

Ah would ya stop! I'm dreading taking down the baby stuff....my emotions will get the better of me I know it :D It's the little teeny nappies that'll get me and trying to remember the boy that small :o
    beanser wrote: »
    Haven't burnt my tummy yet, but I've totally lost all spatial awareness since I've been pregnant. Ploughed my car into my mam's front gates, which were OPEN no less. Big dents all over the side of the car and ripped the back bumper off. I've driven in and out of that parking space a million times. The gates were fine though, which is a good thing as they're worth more than my car!! :D

haahaa oh dear Beanser, you'll NEVER live that down now :D

I have lost total spacial awareness, but only as far as my 'dance space' is concerned....I keep bumping off things and people all the time and yesterday burned my tummy with the iron....if I'm far away from things how can my tummy be so close to them :confused::D:D

A week overdue today.... starting to feel a bi fed up now!:)

I hope you meet your baby soon Twinkleboots...have they talked about inducing or anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

There'll be a bunch of us - I'm 28 weeks this week!

I'm also part of the bunch - 27 weeks since yesterday ;-P

Swelling in my feet and hands is killing me though. Bleh. And the constant samba classes junior seems to be taking are less than cute when they happen at 4 am...Bold baby!

anyone got crazy food cravings? Husband was ready to have me sectioned last week when I seriously considered putting plum jam on my mushroom pizza...:eek: (after having had a cinnamon and raisin bagel with garlic butter and goats cheese for brekkie...)

haahaa oh dear Beanser, you'll NEVER live that down now :D

I have lost total spacial awareness, but only as far as my 'dance space' is concerned....I keep bumping off things and people all the time and yesterday burned my tummy with the iron....if I'm far away from things how can my tummy be so close to them :confused::D:D

Nope I'll never live it down is right, nor the fact that I scraped off one of the pillars in my parking space at home. :confused:

Anyway you've given me a GREAT health and safety reason for not doing any more ironing ... nice one! :D

galah wrote: »
    I'm also part of the bunch - 27 weeks since yesterday ;-P

Swelling in my feet and hands is killing me though. Bleh. And the constant samba classes junior seems to be taking are less than cute when they happen at 4 am...Bold baby!

anyone got crazy food cravings? Husband was ready to have me sectioned last week when I seriously considered putting plum jam on my mushroom pizza...:eek: (after having had a cinnamon and raisin bagel with garlic butter and goats cheese for brekkie...)

Ha! So you, me and Cat Melodeon are all due about the week starting the 21st Nov? I'm the 23rd according to scan, my own dates said the 29th, so the due date really is anyone's guess.

My baby does the 4am shuffle aswell!! Just when I get back into bed after the bathroom.

No crazy cravings for me - my auntie calls them "longings" - thought that was cute! But no, nothing, bit of a goo on me for a few glasses of wine mind you ;)

• Advertisement

yep - my own dates say 22nd, but doc seems to think 24th ;-) anyone's guess really though ;-P

awww, I like 'longings' - much nicer than cravings! Shall pilfer that expression for my own purposes ;-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

My date going by last period is 18th Nov, the doc/scan reckons the 23rd, my own calculations based on my mad cycle and last baby estimate the 27th. Mother-in-law is coming to stay on the 20th for 2 weeks so that should cover all bases (seriously doubt I'll go early - was induced at 10 days over last time).
    It'll be a mad Christmas for us all!

My date going by last period is 18th Nov, the doc/scan reckons the 23rd, my own calculations based on my mad cycle and last baby estimate the 27th. Mother-in-law is coming to stay on the 20th for 2 weeks so that should cover all bases (seriously doubt I'll go early - was induced at 10 days over last time).
    It'll be a mad Christmas for us all!

he he! You're worse than me with all your dates. I'm really hoping for the 29th as it's my boyfriend's birthday too. Would be lovely.

Actually now that you mention Christmas, do you think we'd be mad to do Christmas in our place? There'd be 6 adults and the baby all together, and we live in an average shoebox size apartment (kitchen and sitting room all in one). In fairness, I'll be doing nothing, it'll be himself doing everything!

One of my friends said we might be better off doing it in our place, as it might be easier being at home, rather than having to cart everything over to mam's (not a huge hassle as she's only 5 mins away) or all the way over the northside to the brother's.

I'm kinda thinking we might be better leaving it until next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Actually now that you mention Christmas, do you think we'd be mad to do Christmas in our place? I'm kinda thinking we might be better leaving it until next year!

I wouldn't fancy it. My other half suggested us doing it & I said no way. At least in someone elses house, you can leave at any stage if you need a rest or if the baby won't settle (well unless both of you are drinking). If we were doing it, it'd be for about 7 adults, 5 kids & our newborn who would be about 10-12 weeks. Really don't think I'd fancy that at all.

I'm as bad as the rest of you with clumsiness, but unfortunately I'm always clumsy, regardless of whether I'm pregnant or not, so my other half doesn't have that much sympathy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Actually now that you mention Christmas, do you think we'd be mad to do Christmas in our place? There'd be 6 adults and the baby all together, and we live in an average shoebox size apartment (kitchen and sitting room all in one). In fairness, I'll be doing nothing, it'll be himself doing everything!
    Yes you'd be mad! Even with himself doing everything, you'll feel obliged to make sure everyone is okay, that everything is clean, that all the shopping has been done etc. I'd say let someone else take it on for this year, be a queen and sit it out. It'll be lovely next year, with Santa coming and baby crawling about the place. I'm going to my sister's house and know I'll not be allowed lift a finger. Bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Had my early scan today, baba measured right on the money of 8 weeks 5 days and we got to see the lovely heartbeat. It's such a relief to be able to put an image to all the changes going on:)
    We were only planning on telling OH's mother but we ended up telling all of the two families so our secret is offically out which is a relief in a way, no more trying to pick out clothes that hide your bloated belly anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Just wondering, does the free pregnancy care cover illness caused/exaserbated by the pregnancy? I had asthma as a child, it can flare up due to hayfever but that hasn't happened in a while. But the last few night I've found I had a few episodes of incredible tightness in my chest (about 5 secs) which dulled to tightness (ten minutes). First two nights I thought it was a reaction to the rennie I took, tonight I thought it was cos I was lying down and maybe the baby was lying against my diaphram. But it lasted even when I sat up for a while. I'd like to get it checked out but am wondering whether or not I'll have to pay the doctor's visit...

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Hi everyone, hope you're all keeping well
    Delighed to hear your scan went well ms2011 :)

Good question P2ikseke, I too want to know when is the earliest you can take maternity leave? I know you legally have to take it 2 weeks b4 baby is due but im wondering can you take it as early as 6/8wks b4 or do you require a letter from your doc?

Anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Quins5 wrote: »

Good question P2ikseke, I too want to know when is the earliest you can take maternity leave? I know you legally have to take it 2 weeks b4 baby is due but im wondering can you take it as early as 6/8wks b4 or do you require a letter from your doc?

Anyone have any idea?

Would it be 4 weeks??

Im 32+2 today......it has flown in for me so far. Cant wait to finish up work!!

collegeme wrote: »
    Would it be 4 weeks??

Im 32+2 today......it has flown in for me so far. Cant wait to finish up work!!

From the citizens advice bureau website: If you qualify for Maternity Benefit at least 2 and no more than 16 weeks must be taken before the end of the week the baby is due.

I'm just behind you - 32 + 2 today. Can't wait to finish up myself - 26 working days left (not that I'm counting or anything ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Hi ladies :) I'm in my 23rd week & wondering if anyone has had a 3D scan? We really want to find out our baba's gender but the scanners in Portlaoise are quite fuzzy so the Doc didn't want to make a guess.. Has anyone had experience with the 3D? One of my neighbours had one (8 months ago now) & said they're only €70 ish now? Any advise would be great :) x

nicowa wrote: »
    Just wondering, does the free pregnancy care cover illness caused/exaserbated by the pregnancy? I had asthma as a child, it can flare up due to hayfever but that hasn't happened in a while. But the last few night I've found I had a few episodes of incredible tightness in my chest (about 5 secs) which dulled to tightness (ten minutes). First two nights I thought it was a reaction to the rennie I took, tonight I thought it was cos I was lying down and maybe the baby was lying against my diaphram. But it lasted even when I sat up for a while. I'd like to get it checked out but am wondering whether or not I'll have to pay the doctor's visit...

As far as I know any doctor's visits are free during pregnancy. I know my sis in law had a heart illness many years ago (I can't remember the name of it now) and she thought it flared up again in pregnancy so she had scans and everything done and they were all free.

yes, all my pregnancy-related doc visits were free also - the only thing I had to pay for so far was a cert for work (20 quid). Had a chest infection and some blood pressure probs - and no charge. It's nice not having to fork out 60 quid every time....;-)

Yes you'd be mad! Even with himself doing everything, you'll feel obliged to make sure everyone is okay, that everything is clean, that all the shopping has been done etc. I'd say let someone else take it on for this year, be a queen and sit it out. It'll be lovely next year, with Santa coming and baby crawling about the place. I'm going to my sister's house and know I'll not be allowed lift a finger. Bliss!

Good advice from you and Oral Slang, I'll bow out if I can. It's true, I wouldn't be able to sit back and let him do it, I'd be stressed to bits. I just feel bad cos in the 5 years in the apartment we've never had Christmas there once. My sister in law was jokin a few weeks back, as I was pregnant she was saying 'Jaysus you'd do ANYTHING to get out of doing Christmas' :D

I'm actually not sure on this one, I thought it was just your actual maternity visits but I wouldn't be 100% sure. Just ring the receptionist and ask them, they should know.

Tigeress wrote: »
    Hi ladies :) I'm in my 23rd week & wondering if anyone has had a 3D scan? We really want to find out our baba's gender but the scanners in Portlaoise are quite fuzzy so the Doc didn't want to make a guess.. Has anyone had experience with the 3D? One of my neighbours had one (8 months ago now) & said they're only €70 ish now? Any advise would be great :) x

Hey Tigeress, I haven't had one done yet but I'm hoping to over the next 2 weeks. Only reason I'm getting it done is because I'd love my mam to be there for one of the scans and obviously I can't do that at Holles Street.

They're not as cheap as €70 though, unfortunately, or at least not in Dublin. The place I was looking at costs €180, it's a lot of cash for something we don't really need. :confused:

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Had my early scan today, baba measured right on the money of 8 weeks 5 days and we got to see the lovely heartbeat. It's such a relief to be able to put an image to all the changes going on:)
    We were only planning on telling OH's mother but we ended up telling all of the two families so our secret is offically out which is a relief in a way, no more trying to pick out clothes that hide your bloated belly anymore :D

Ah I remember that, such a relief to finally tell everyone and stick that belly out!! Glad to hear your scan went well, congrats.

Again from Citizens Advice Website:

The combined medical services are provided by your family doctor (GP) and a hospital obstetrician.

The GP provides an initial examination, if possible before 12 weeks, and a further 6 examinations during the pregnancy, which are alternated with visits to the maternity unit/hospital. The schedule of visits may be changed by your GPa and/or hospital obstetrician, depending on your individual situation.

If you have a significant illness, e.g. diabetes or hypertension, you may have up to 5 additional visits to the GP.

Care for other illnesses which you may have at this time, but which are not related to your pregnancy is not covered by the Scheme.

After the birth, the GP will examine the baby at 2 weeks and both mother and baby at 6 weeks.

The mother is entitled to free in-patient and out-patient public hospital services in respect of the pregnancy and the birth and is not liable for any of the hospital charges.

They're not as cheap as €70 though, unfortunately, or at least not in Dublin. The place I was looking at costs €180, it's a lot of cash for something we don't really need. :confused:

Haven't had one myself - we were tempted, but I don't want to find out the sex, so in the end we didn't bother. Past the best time to get one now anyway, so probably wouldn't see much if I went now.
    Yeah I think the cheapest at the minute is this one - which is only a mini 3d scan at €140. http://www.theultrasoundsuite.ie/maternity-ultrasound/mini-3d4d-a-fetal-well-being-scan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Quins5 wrote: »

Anyone have any idea?

I am taking mine on 9th sept about 6 weeks before birth so I have a bit of time to sleep.I am really feeling the strain ( i am 30+5) of trying to function

Advertisement