Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

Hi
    I am 18wks pregnant, and I have been reading a few of the posts, well my OH posts quiet often on these threads and has told me I should join, as on other web site I have got my hands slapped for posting about pregnancy in the wrong area. anyways right up until my 14wks mark I was suffering with terrible nausea & vomiting the works, and I couldn't attend work at all.. I am now at 18wks and even though the nausea is still there I now have back pain, acid reflux problems and slowly risen High Blood pressure, So the GP has kept me out sick and issue sick certs for the next few wks, my question is will I still qualify for maternity leave if I am out on sick leave, my GP cant see me going back to work as I am very unfit, also my pregnancy is IVF one and its our last and only chance. I am not sure if I will be entitled to full maternity leave. I work full time, I am due after Christmas early Jan! I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Congrats on your pregnancy purplecat, and sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it..

Regarding mat leave, if you were in full time employment in 2010 then you will definitely qualify, as your application is based on contributions made in the year previous to giving birth. (I am assuming that your mat leave would be due to start before the end if this year?)

Best of luck with the pregnancy, hope symptoms ease for you and you get to enjoy this very special time

Thanks for that KayTee, I was starting to worry myself into a state, I reading different posts on different web sites (irish) and someone said if you are sick you cant go straight to maternity leave you have to work a few weeks, I don't think i will be medically able to work a few weeks, i could try a day, if i can put my feet up during the day... and someone else said they don't allow you to take 16 weeks unpaid leave or something. now i can relax you put my mind at ease - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Hi Purplecat, welcome. I think you should try the Citizens Advice Bureau about your maternity benefit, because I'm almost sure you have to be working up to 16 weeks before your baby is due to qualify for it. But I'm not 100% sure, particularly if you're off sick rather than just not working. But I'd check it out if I were you.

And congratulations...I hope things ease up for you xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

purplecat wrote: »
    Thanks for that KayTee, I was starting to worry myself into a state, I reading different posts on different web sites (irish) and someone said if you are sick you cant go straight to maternity leave you have to work a few weeks, I don't think i will be medically able to work a few weeks, i could try a day, if i can put my feet up during the day... and someone else said they don't allow you to take 16 weeks unpaid leave or something. now i can relax you put my mind at ease - thanks

I know of plenty of people where I work who went from sick leave to maternity leave but they did work a few hours just before going on maternity leave.

Some also had to go on 'pregnancy health and safety leave' as the job is quite physical, maybe this could be an option for you too?

• Advertisement

I think i will have to work a few hours or a few days before i can take full maternity leave, the girls at work said i will have to do it. Maybe it will be better for me to do it:) as it will get my family off my case, especially my mother, never can understand her, she delighted that we are expecting, and even though I have double morning sickness ( having TWins) She thinks that i am going to get sacked if i don't return.

My Job is quiet physical as I am based in 3 different areas, and constantly on the move up and down stairs all day. In and Out of tight areas( I think I will have to give them a miss:D might get stuck in there Or wedged into a corner:D, ! Will have to sort something out. Thanks again to all of you for your replies, they have opened my eyes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Apologies if I may have given wrong info purplecat!

Just so you know, your employers is obliged to assign you to a more suitable post under health and safety regulations if your current post is deemed to pose a h&s hazard. Being expected to be constantly on the move and in and out of tight spaces would be a hazard in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well, that's it, we've told the families and all. So now I can use my real username! (I posted under the anonymous account "WasWorriedSick".

So relieved at mt parent's reaction, expected it to be much worse!

I feel fantastic these days, apart from being pretty tired. And of course the weird dreams!

I'm now at 16 weeks, having a big scan in a weeks time, will find out the sex of the baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 5 penguins bars

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me joining in. I'm a regular gone anon til we (fingers crossed!) reach the 12 week mark.
    Currently just over 6 weeks, so a bit to go yet!

The morning (mid morning/afternoon/,mid afternoon/evening time/middle of the night :rolleyes:) sickness has started to kick in but I'm taking it as a good sign that so far all is going well!
    I had a miss this time last year so that bit nervous about being pregnant again.(I also have a 17 month old)
    I feel fantastic these days, apart from being pretty tired. And of course the weird dreams!

Glad I'm not alone on the weird dreams, mine are just bizarre!
    Week before last I got my groceries delivered but they delivered onions which I didn't order & I didn't cop til the driver had gone.

For 2 nights in a row I had the most vivid dream that the driver was knocking on the door & bedroom window in the middle of the night looking for his onions! I ended up giving them to my sister just to get them out of the house :o:D

The most disturbing dream so far was that I was *ahem* 'intimate' with a member of the Fair City cast. (Decco Bishop for anyone that watches it) http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/characters/deccobishop.html
    No offence to the chap, I'm sure he's lovely in real life, but in that he's a thug that's constantly scowling, I felt so wrong the following morning.
    Strange things these pregnancy hormones!

Hope everyone is keeping well & fingers crossed I'll be here for the next 8 or so months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

beanser wrote: »
    Tigeress wrote: »
    Hi ladies :) I'm in my 23rd week & wondering if anyone has had a 3D scan? We really want to find out our baba's gender but the scanners in Portlaoise are quite fuzzy so the Doc didn't want to make a guess.. Has anyone had experience with the 3D? One of my neighbours had one (8 months ago now) & said they're only €70 ish now? Any advise would be great :) x

Hey Tigeress, I haven't had one done yet but I'm hoping to over the next 2 weeks. Only reason I'm getting it done is because I'd love my mam to be there for one of the scans and obviously I can't do that at Holles Street.

They're not as cheap as €70 though, unfortunately, or at least not in Dublin. The place I was looking at costs €180, it's a lot of cash for something we don't really need. :confused:

Thanks Beanser :) I know what ya mean! We don't need this but want it.. I've been looking around & the cheapest place I can find is Swords for €145! I'm gonna ask my neighbour where she got her's for so cheap! We're in the midlands & don't wanna drive for hours for the scan either..

Hope all the yummy mummies are doing well :) I can't believe I've just gone into my 24th week! The countdown has begun hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I can't believe I've just gone into my 24th week! The countdown has begun hehe

I'm 24 weeks today! I really can't believe it. I posted here first when I was 6 weeks. The time seems to have flown by. :D

Still worried, scared, excited, terrified.... I've begun contemplating buying stuff. What's people opinions on pre-buying? I had my eye on a second hand moses basket a few weeks ago (for free) but my mum was staying that week and she was all "you can't have it in the house!"

That put a bit of a scare up me...

Anyway, heading to the doctors in a bit cos I need to get my asthma checked out and I might pop into the shops while I'm out and just see what things look like - and try and figure out where we're going to fit everything!

Baby's are small but their stuff is huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

nicowa wrote: »
    I'm 24 weeks today! I really can't believe it. I posted here first when I was 6 weeks. The time seems to have flown by. :D

Still worried, scared, excited, terrified.... I've begun contemplating buying stuff. What's people opinions on pre-buying? I had my eye on a second hand moses basket a few weeks ago (for free) but my mum was staying that week and she was all "you can't have it in the house!"

im 20 weeks! and i agree time is flying and im still worried, scared excited, terrified aswell!!!:) i too would like to know ppls opinions on buying things. i havnt bought anything yet but we were thinking of getting some stuff after we have our big scan in a weeks time. my sister in law has been getting stuff since she was bout 17/18 weeks! i said i wasnt until after the big scan.

i also heard bout not having stuff in the house but the baby is coming and it needs stuff!! i could prob keep things in my mams house til closer the time but i duno.

looking forward to hearing peoples opinions! hope everyone is feeling fine! :D

Week 31, finally into single figure countdown woohooo :D

Between BP series and gestational diabetes, I hope these next 9 weeks fly! :P

Oh and if junior doesn't stop trying to turn in ways that my tummy wasn't designed to move in, he's in sooooo much trouble when I meet him:D

Penguin Bars, you're def not alone on the weird dreams! I keep dreaming about a jelly bean arm taking over the works but also being very confused in the dream as they have no arms! I've woken my OH on many occasions with this dream lol

Do you have a date for your 1st scan yet?

im 20 weeks! and i agree time is flying and im still worried, scared excited, terrified aswell!!!:) i too would like to know ppls opinions on buying things. i havnt bought anything yet but we were thinking of getting some stuff after we have our big scan in a weeks time. my sister in law has been getting stuff since she was bout 17/18 weeks! i said i wasnt until after the big scan.

i also heard bout not having stuff in the house but the baby is coming and it needs stuff!! i could prob keep things in my mams house til closer the time but i duno.

looking forward to hearing peoples opinions! hope everyone is feeling fine! :D

We started buying after week 20! I'm not very superstitious though.. We have most things bought & in the house already! We're starting putting the furniture together this weekend & I can't wait hehe! I'm just in my 24th week.. You could always start buying and keep in someone else house aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I've had no internet for the last 4 days and i felt like my legs were chopped off..:eek: so i'm 35+6.. i think. . i'm starting to lose count.. had a really busy week at work last week and i felt it in my ribs.. felt like they were going to break..:( this is the first pregnancy that i have woken up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.. only problem is when i get up baba thinks i'm up and starts to kick the bejesus out of me. . so i haven't slept well for a while. . thank god for concealer :D i have one hate word for this week INDIGESTION.. it is a bítch. . nothing is working made me sick yesterday and i got no sympathy i was so annoyed:D ah well the countdown is on... i have all the babygro's and vest washed and put away and my house is full of nappies of all sizes :rolleyes: roll on october

Ladies I was wondering if anyone else has gone through a crazy hunger phase? I'm starving all the time lol! I can't seem to get full at the mo, it only started a few days ago but even after eating a good size dinner I'm hungry within 10 mins again! I'm trying to eat healthily with fruit & veg but it's just not satisfing me.. Anywho that's my hungry rant over with! Hope you are all having a good Monday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 5 penguins bars

Penguin Bars, you're def not alone on the weird dreams! I keep dreaming about a jelly bean arm taking over the works but also being very confused in the dream as they have no arms! I've woken my OH on many occasions with this dream lol

Do you have a date for your 1st scan yet?

Lol that's gas, isn't it mad how vivid the weird dreams are when you're pregnant? I was the same when pregnant with my daughter.
    One night I woke my husband up & freaked the living daylights out of him. I'd fallen asleep on my arm & it went dead. I woke up in the night screaming 'where's my arm? its gone' :o:D
    He thought I was being attacked :D I was absolutely convinced my arm had fallen off because I couldn't feel it!

I already had a scan Wednesday gone, but as I was only 6 weeks gone they couldn't see a whole lot, so I've to go back at 8 weeks.
    Gas really, I was as much as told that I shouldn't be there/it was too early - but it was the hospital themselves that had given me the appointment! :rolleyes:

Cbyrd don't envy you the indigestion at all, when are you finishing up in work? it must be hard going on your feet when you're so far gone.

Those 3D scans are dear but I thought it was well worth it, the pics of my little girl were so clear & even looking back at them now, you can see a clear resemblance to her. I could never make head nor tail of the regular hospital scans so it was the first time I could make out a baby in a scan :)

Nicowa, I would have been quite superstitious too. My parents bought us a pram set when I was pregnant with my daughter, so I just kept it in their house til closer to the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Ladies I was wondering if anyone else has gone through a crazy hunger phase? I'm starving all the time lol! I can't seem to get full at the mo, it only started a few days ago but even after eating a good size dinner I'm hungry within 10 mins again! I'm trying to eat healthily with fruit & veg but it's just not satisfing me.. Anywho that's my hungry rant over with! Hope you are all having a good Monday :)

ah yeah, got that pretty bad around week 20 to 24 or so. Waking up starving at night, even though I'd had a big dinner just hours before. Woke hubby up once or twice guilt-tripping him to bring me food ;-)

galah wrote: »

ah yeah, got that pretty bad around week 20 to 24 or so. Waking up starving at night, even though I'd had a big dinner just hours before. Woke hubby up once or twice guilt-tripping him to bring me food ;-)

Thank god it's not just me! I'm hoping it's a passing phase lol I'll be gigantic if I keep eating like this!

Penguin, that's mad that they gave you an early scan only to say it's too early to scan, I swear they're backwards sometimes! Did you see the sac? Bet you're dying to go back for the 8 weeks scan :) I really and truly hope everything goes well for you hun! Xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We started buying after week 20! I'm not very superstitious though.. We have most things bought & in the house already! We're starting putting the furniture together this weekend & I can't wait hehe! I'm just in my 24th week.. You could always start buying and keep in someone else house aswell?

I think we starting buying in earnest just around the 20 week mark as well... had picked up a few little bits and pieces before that but not much. Part of the reason though was that we weren't sure where we were going to be living so didn't want to have a pile of extra stuff to move if we were going to be moving house!

I went through a couple of serious hungry phases! The first was around week 8 I think- I absolutely had to have 2 slices of brown bread toasted before I went to bed at night or I'd wake up during the night with hunger pains. That lasted for a good while!
    Every couple of weeks I'd get another hungry phase- I figured it could be the baby having a growth spurt and using all my energy! :)

My due date is TOMORROW [EDIT: TODAY]!!! :eek::D:eek:
    Hope baby comes soooon!

Liliq...I've my eye on you :D You've been about 10 weeks ahead of me all the way through, so I'm waiting for you to pop any day now :D

Oh wow Liliq!! That's soo exciting :) I hope you're not waiting too long for baba to arrive! Do you know what you're having yet? I still have 16 weeks eek, feels like forever away right now! I hope everything goes well for you x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My sister says the same to me but I'm only 9 and half weeks and I already have my buggy, moses basket, changing table, eletric swing, gliding chair and foot stool and cot and they are all up in what will be the baby's room :eek:
    Got all of the above second hand so I've only spend €270, my buggy travel system I got off a girl who had been given it as a gift but she'd already bought one herself so she never used it, got it for €100 including rain cover, foot muff and fly net, I couldn't pass up that bargin :)

OMG I'm so hungry all the time. I always thought when I got pregnant I'd watch what I ate and when it came to it I could lose the baby weight easy....HA...boy was I naive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Liliq...I've my eye on you :D You've been about 10 weeks ahead of me all the way through, so I'm waiting for you to pop any day now :D

Today would be a good day!!! :D Can't believe how fast the time has gone- can't really complain that it's slowed down a bit now, especially now that I'm somehow sleeping again!!
    I'll post asap after I pop! :D
    Oh wow Liliq!! That's soo exciting :) I hope you're not waiting too long for baba to arrive! Do you know what you're having yet? I still have 16 weeks eek, feels like forever away right now! I hope everything goes well for you x

Thanks, I hope so too!! :) Yep... we found out by mistake... (and then had it confirmed 3 times!) going to have a little man... I didn't want to find out, but I've gotten so excited about a little boy since we did! Do you know what you're haivng?? 16 weeks might seem like an age, but I really can't believe how quickly the time has passed since I was saying I was 24 weeks!
    Ms2011 wrote: »
    My sister says the same to me but I'm only 9 and half weeks and I already have my buggy, moses basket, changing table, eletric swing, gliding chair and foot stool and cot and they are all up in what will be the baby's room :eek:
    Got all of the above second hand so I've only spend €270, my buggy travel system I got off a girl who had been given it as a gift but she'd already bought one herself so she never used it, got it for €100 including rain cover, foot muff and fly net, I couldn't pass up that bargin :)

OMG I'm so hungry all the time. I always thought when I got pregnant I'd watch what I ate and when it came to it I could lose the baby weight easy....HA...boy was I naive :rolleyes:

Sounds like you got some serious bargains!! Especaiily on the travel system!!
    I was the same thinking I'd be careful about what I ate... I haven't been the absolute worst, but I definitely could have been a lot better! :rolleyes:

Thanks, I hope so too!! :) Yep... we found out by mistake... (and then had it confirmed 3 times!) going to have a little man... I didn't want to find out, but I've gotten so excited about a little boy since we did! Do you know what you're haivng?? 16 weeks might seem like an age, but I really can't believe how quickly the time has passed since I was saying I was 24 weeks!

Not yet.. Dying to know though! The Doc said she had an idea at our scan last week but cause she wasn't 100% she wouldn't tell us :( I'm back in 5 weeks for another scan so if they can't tell then, then we're gonna go for a 3D to find out :)

That's mad you found out by accident hehe! I'd say you're just dying to hold him now :) we have our girls names picked but struggling with finding a boys name! Maybe that's a sign lol

Yeah I know it's not too long away & we're almost set with baba stuff just have to get started on the hospital bag now! It's flown through so far though, I found out when I was 2 weeks pregnant, can't believe how long ago that is now!

MS you got some amazing bargains! I wouldn't have passed them at those prices either! How's everything going for you? Wow 9 weeks already :) have you told your family yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Ms2011

MS you got some amazing bargains! I wouldn't have passed them at those prices either! How's everything going for you? Wow 9 weeks already :) have you told your family yet?

Yep 10 weeks on Friday (not that I'm counting :p), time is just flying since I finished work. When I was in work time was dragging by as I felt like I was just watching the clock until I could go home cos I was so sick but now that I'm at home I can eat what I want, when I want and rest when I need to so I find that is really helping me feel better and time is going so much quicker :)
    We told our families last week after I had my early scan. We got the scan so my OH could tell his older sister before she flew home (she lives aboard) but when we called to tell her his mum and 2 other sisters were there so we ended up telling everyone, the cat's out of the bag now and it feels great :)
    I can't believe you've only 16 weeks left to go, I still remember you annoucing your BFP on the TTC thread, I'd say you can't wait to see your little one, not long now!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

29 weeks today - still have no clue what we will call him/her. Hoping for divine inspiration at this stage :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

just a week behind ya, Cunning - and having the same issue. No idea what to call him/her, at all at all. Either the names we both like are VERY popular and every second kid is called it already, or they're unpronouncable/inacceptable to the German branch of the family (for example, my cousins son (in Germany) is called Marvin, however, my granny thinks that's 'too
    un-German and calls him 'Erwin' instead. :eek: Nice), or they don't go with our last name, and so on...

njarg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

I am STARVING! I could eat and eat and eat and i dont seem to feel full. its unreal. i dont eat and eat tho i just have a bigger portion!:rolleyes: im not being too bad i think.

i just made buns. mmmm. :) now i dont know how to stop myself from eating them. :eek:

Advertisement