Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Aw liliq you poor thing....well I really really hope you meet your ickle one before the weekend is out...I really concentrated too so fingers crossed.

I just hope Toots doesn't come on tomorrow and say she had her baby :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Can you guys who have gone through this before tell me what to pack for my hospital bag and when to have it? I do not have a clue :) Thanks !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Hi Avril 123,

Pack your bag well in advance. I was 3 weeks early with my first and I had packed my bag basically 2 days before going into labor, so the earlier the better, you'll feel relieved and prepared.
    I had 2 bags, one for labor, one for the ward:
    1st:
    1 change of clothes for me (comfy pj, change undies etc.)
    1 nappy, vest, hat + pj for baba
    Something for distraction (book, sudoku, mp3player, etc. you dont know how long its going to take), I never had time to use mine, I wish you as quick a labor as mine!
    maternity towels
    Tens if you'll use them
    Something to eat/drink for dad

2nd:
    More change (comfy, very comfy) clothes for you and baba
    Nappies, cotton wools
    Towels for you and baba
    maternity towels (loads)
    Squirty bottle of water (let me know if you haven't heard what thats for!)
    Toilleteries
    Lots of distraction for lone time if baby sleeps ( my tv didn't work...)
    Treats
    Baby journal if you'll have one

Im sure I forgot things but people can had on their own tips. Get the car seat ready with blankets etc. Dad can bring more stuff as needed, but if he's like my hubby, I had a pile of what I possibly could need ready in the bedroom cause I wouldn't trust him to find the right stuff just upon description :D

Best of luck!

And I myself am very happy to be back here again!

Baba number 2 on the way, about 5wks along. We are very blessed, only tried from last month!!! Baba number 1 is just turned 11 months, we love a challenge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I posted here a while ago looking for an online seller for moses baskets, because I can't get one here in Denmark. Thanks for all of your suggestions - I got an ARGOS brand moses basket and stand on Amazon. Cost £20 for delivery but what the hell. Am looking forward to using it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Baba number 2 on the way, about 5wks along. We are very blessed, only tried from last month!!! Baba number 1 is just turned 11 months, we love a challenge ;)

Congrats!!! Seriously tho... I'm frightened now.... What the hell is the squishy bottle of water for?????!

17 weeks today!! Loving it :)
    Sitting on the couch trying to decide whether it's indigestion or actually feeling baby moving!!

Hi Avril 123,

Pack your bag well in advance. I was 3 weeks early with my first and I had packed my bag basically 2 days before going into labor, so the earlier the better, you'll feel relieved and prepared.
    1st:
    Something for distraction (book, sudoku, mp3player, etc. you dont know how long its going to take), I never had time to use mine, I wish you as quick a labor as mine!
    maternity towels
    Tens if you'll use them

2nd:
    Nappies, cotton wools
    Towels for you and baba
    maternity towels (loads)
    Toilleteries
    Treats

Im sure I forgot things but people can had on their own tips. Get the car seat ready with blankets etc. Dad can bring more stuff as needed, but if he's like my hubby, I had a pile of what I possibly could need ready in the bedroom cause I wouldn't trust him to find the right stuff just upon description :D

Best of luck!

Thanks for all that, will need to start then buying all that stuff, Will have stuff that I may need but don't want to bring in yet then on the bed as he mightn't know where to find them haha. I really hope its a quick labour as I am petrified even thinking about it ! What is the squirty bottle of water for, never heard of that one ! Must get a baby Journal (do you know of anywhere to get a really nice one, Don't know what I am having so must get a neutral one :) Yeah bought a buggy last week with a car seat but leaving it in the store for another few weeks until closer to the due date. :)

I don't know what the squirty water's for either :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The squirty bottle of water is for after you have the baby, basically if you get stitches "down there" then fill the bottle with warm water before you use the loo and squirt the water onto the area while you're peeing and it'll help to stop stinging! You can also add a few drops of witch hazel/tea tree to it to help it heal.

Another tip is if you get stitches, to "support" the area with a wad of tissue if you are having a poo, stops unnecessary straining down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

January wrote: »
    The squirty bottle of water is for after you have the baby, basically if you get stitches "down there" then fill the bottle with warm water before you use the loo and squirt the water onto the area while you're peeing and it'll help to stop stinging! You can also add a few drops of witch hazel/tea tree to it to help it heal.

Another tip is if you get stitches, to "support" the area with a wad of tissue if you are having a poo, stops unnecessary straining down there.

......"inward gasp"....... Thankyou.... Christ

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's great isn't it :eek:

Oh my gosh, Im even more terrified now !! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah, I've my squirty bottle packed, along with teatree, witch hazel, arnica, moist toilet paper & a soft toilet roll. Feel like I could open a pharmacy. Started taking my evening primrose last week & will be starting Raspberry leaf tea this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Wow, your going to have a very busy house, hardly worth packing away stuff as the first one grows out of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I know I'm only 18 weeks but just got a load of baby stuff from my boyfriend's sister. Her youngest is five, and she is not having any more kids, so she gave us all the new baby stuff she still had. Apart from a load of bodies (I will have to add babygros because her babies were all born in the middle of summer and mine is due in February), there is also a baby carrier, a cushion thing for supporting the baby when you breast feed, handmade baby changing organiser etc etc. Also I got my hands on a LOVELY pushchair/newborn baby car seat (I don't know any of the names for these things in English because of course they are being described to me in French!) for 40 euros from a friend of a friend. It's in fab condition as well.

Baby is moving like a mad thing now. Know for sure it's not indigestion. I especially feel him when I sit down, it's class!

*mental note* next time some one says 'if you don't know what that's for ask me....DON'T BLOOMIN ASK :eek:

:D Haha! Yes to much information, but better be prepared!

Avril123, seriously, dont be petrified or nervous, nothing is anywhere as bad as you hear or imagine it. Best thing I have done in my first pregnancy is brainwash myself from all the horror stories I had heard about labor, listened to a self-hypnosis cd for about 3-4 months before due date and I was so relaxed all the way through the midwives were speachless, and I truely believe thats why I had such an easy labor, no pain relief, no stitches, got to hospital at 6am, baba was in my arms by 11am. Just fill your head with that kind of stories and you will be flying!

Got a baby journal in Eason if I recall, beautiful yellow & cream neutral one as I didn't know either what I was having. Its got all sort of sections to fill before you have baba, then who visited, the gifts you received, and all the different milestones after that. It will be nice to have in years to come. Must make sure I am as dedicated for this 2nd one now!

Hi Avril 123,

1st:
    maternity towels
    Tens if you'll use them

2nd:
    Nappies, cotton wools
    Towels for you and baba
    maternity towels (loads)
    Toilleteries
    Treats

Best of luck!

What's TENS? (I really don't have a clue about anything, it's my first :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Avril123 wrote: »
    What's TENS? (I really don't have a clue about anything, it's my first :) )
    A tens machine is a bit like one of those slimming belts that give you an little electric shock to tone up your muscles. You attach the pads to your back as soon as labour starts and basically give yourself little shocks through each contraction. I hired one from Medicare last time but had such a short labour I never got around to using it, so I can't say how effective they are. I've used a non-labour one for a sports injury before and got great relief from it, so will probably try again this time. It's important to get one of the good ones especially for labour though - they have a booster buttin that is supposed to be really good - standard tens machines don't have that feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Another thing that's great is bepanthan cream it's nappy cream but because it's waterproof a little before you use the loo for the first wee is brilliant .. i've used it on the last 2 .. although i had no stitches on the last one i had a small tear.. and as for straining. . FIBRE and lots of it :D:D:D

• Advertisement

A tens machine is a bit like one of those slimming belts that give you an little electric shock to tone up your muscles. You attach the pads to your back as soon as labour starts and basically give yourself little shocks through each contraction. I hired one from Medicare last time but had such a short labour I never got around to using it, so I can't say how effective they are. I've used a non-labour one for a sports injury before and got great relief from it, so will probably try again this time. It's important to get one of the good ones especially for labour though - they have a booster buttin that is supposed to be really good - standard tens machines don't have that feature.

I used a TENS machine on my second labour and it was wonderful, until the batteries ran out :o (pack spare batteries for TENS if using, is another to add to the list!!).

BTW, I didn't edit your post... I clicked the wrong button :o

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

theres some info here i think i need to write down for a few months time!!!

started my 23rd week on friday!! :D so happy feeling the kicks and looking at my belly move! (course terrified when baby decides to be qiuet for the day!) time seems to be flying so far. started looking at moses basket and prams and stuff today. my aunt gave me a cot! come on january! :D

I don't know what's worse...to have a section and be in for 6 days, or to have a normal birth and scream when I pee :confused::D

Section def, atleast you can drive a week later....If you can sit down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Section def, atleast you can drive a week later....If you can sit down!

I thought it was 6 weeks after a section before you could drive?? :eek: only one stingy wee after birth .. i know which i'll choose :D..

cbyrd wrote: »
    I thought it was 6 weeks after a section before you could drive?? :eek: only one stingy wee after birth .. i know which i'll choose :D..

Think she meant section was worse ;)

I have to agree, having both I'd choose natural birth with a small tear over a c section any day!

Think she meant section was worse ;)

I have to agree, having both I'd choose natural birth with a small tear over a c section any day!

is it just the recovery afterwards that would make you choose the natural way?

The first few days, both me with my stiches and the others on the ward with sections were all as useless as each other, but by day 3 I was fine. Kneeling up in bed, leaning over and taking stuff from my locker.

The poor ladies who had sections were much more careful and still on the ponston. I really felt sorry for then, because if they dropped something on the floor, I would pick it up to spare them the pain, but they were embarrassed having stuff done for them.

is it just the recovery afterwards that would make you choose the natural way?

It's the recovery after and the emotional damage the section caused me... mine was emergency though and I wasn't prepared at all for it, I still get a bit depressed about it and was so happy when I gave birth vaginally (I won't say naturally, because I had all the drugs going, but epidural wore off before I started pushing!).

The recovery after was fantastic on the vaginal birth, I was up and about less than 3 hours later, compared to two days with my section and could look after baby better also as I wasn't as tired (was put under general anesthetic on the c section so was out of it for a good while after the birth).

• Advertisement

hmmm you see now I'm in two minds. I was okay with the section, I recovered pretty quickly physically afterwards. I think I was very lucky with the surgeon who stitched me up, but it's a horrible feeling lying there and feeling them all rummaging around in your tummy. I remember thinking why would the celebs choose this. Then you don't get to hold your baby or see them properly till over an hour later because you're in recovery and sure until they take all the drips off you can't hold them properly till the next day.

But then I think of the girls in the wards who had the natural births who could hardly walk and all the pushing and work they did and I think...oh blimey maybe I got away lightly :o

The emotional side is the worst, I understand where you're coming from with that. I still get comments about how lucky I was, so in that respect I'd like a natural birth just so I can compare the two for myself, but...squirty bottles and nappy cream....oh dear me :o:D

Advertisement