Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

God Hannibal that's so sad. I don't think those moments ever disappear, like birthdays that would have been or milestones that would have been reached. They become less sad and maybe they fade away completely as life gets busier, but I really feel for you today. I hope junior does somersaults during the scan for your benefit! <hugs>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

God Hannibal that's so sad. I don't think those moments ever disappear, like birthdays that would have been or milestones that would have been reached. They become less sad and maybe they fade away completely as life gets busier, but I really feel for you today. I hope junior does somersaults during the scan for your benefit! <hugs>

Thanks Cat xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Awww Hannibal :( sorry to hear you're so nervous! I'm sure everything will be fine though! What time is your appoint? Let us know how you get on x

Ladies I was just wondering when you started getting your items for your hospital bag? I'm not sure weather to start buying them now but by bit or leave it a while more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Tigeress wrote: »
    Awww Hannibal :( sorry to hear you're so nervous! I'm sure everything will be fine though! What time is your appoint? Let us know how you get on x

Ladies I was just wondering when you started getting your items for your hospital bag? I'm not sure weather to start buying them now but by bit or leave it a while more..

Think once u have everything ready to go by week 34 that should be well in time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

meh, having a sh*t time a the mo as well. Back's killing me, off work sick for a week because of it, work's stressing me out cause it's only 5 weeks to mat leave and there's SO MUCH to do before I go, have some bad round ligament pains as well, and can't sleep comfortably anymore (week 31). Bleh bleh bleh.

liliq, congrats! 5.3 kg - hope you're not too sore ;-) Rory's a lovely name, too!!!!

Hannibal, hope all goes well - I have the same panic every time I go into the doctor's or hospital, like them saying 'your baby has two heads and 6 legs, ooopsy, dunno how we missed that last time' kinda thing...everything will be fine though!

Re: the hospital bag: do I really *need* nightgowns, or will pyjamas (as in a shirt and long pants combo) work as well? I cannot find any nightgowns that open at the front for breastfeeding, and I am wondering if jamies will be ok as well - or if they need frequent access to my nether parts in hospital and thus require nighties?

Also, how much clothes do I need for baby while we're in hospital? The list from the hospital is soooo vague...will the hospital have supplied of basics should one forget some stuff? (nappies or maternity pads, for example?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

My advice would be don't overpack!

The hosp I was in didn't provide anything so make sure to have plenty if pads, the thick soft kind as the thin ones just don't cut it!

Also If you have stitches the mw will check they are healing on a daily basis so nighties are easier for access!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hey guys im 23 weeks and just wondering did/do any of you get pains in ur bump or at the sides. its not like they are awful but just there and a little uncomfy. had them yesterday and today and was just wondering. also havin lower abdominal pain which i think is round ligament pain. could these be linked? dont want to go running to the doc and dont really think i need to... i think :eek:. also really tired so thats prob not helping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

galah wrote: »
    Re: the hospital bag: do I really *need* nightgowns, or will pyjamas (as in a shirt and long pants combo) work as well? I cannot find any nightgowns that open at the front for breastfeeding, and I am wondering if jamies will be ok as well - or if they need frequent access to my nether parts in hospital and thus require nighties?

I got 2 nighties & 1 pair of pjs in Penneys. The nightdresses aren't the height of fashion or anything, but they aren't dreadful either. 1 is black with tiny blue dots & the other is white with little black bows. Black will do for labour & then I'll change into the white. They are round neck & button down about 6 buttons, so should do for breastfeeding I hope. Also got a pair of button down pjs - yellow & kiddy design, but they are nice & soft & I mightn't even need them if I get released early.

I got 1 pack of mothercare pads & 2 packs of boots ones. Not sure whether I should invest in some of the green ones from the chemist too. Does anyone know the brand as all I seem to seem them referred to is "the green pads".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Oral Slang wrote: »
    galah wrote: »

I got 2 nighties & 1 pair of pjs in Penneys. The nightdresses aren't the height of fashion or anything, but they aren't dreadful either. 1 is black with tiny blue dots & the other is white with little black bows. Black will do for labour & then I'll change into the white. They are round neck & button down about 6 buttons, so should do for breastfeeding I hope. Also got a pair of button down pjs - yellow & kiddy design, but they are nice & soft & I mightn't even need them if I get released early.

I got 1 pack of mothercare pads & 2 packs of boots ones. Not sure whether I should invest in some of the green ones from the chemist too. Does anyone know the brand as all I seem to seem them referred to is "the green pads".

They are bv ( bastos viegas) maternity pads! That's the green pharmacy ones :)

Thanks a mil, work in a hospital so know that brand.

• Advertisement

Scan went fine...head is well down baby was moving away and all is in line with dates and the placenta has moved...so it looks like I'll be pushing this one into the world myself :eek: :D

I bought a box of mothercare maternity pads last time and ended up using the hospital ones all the time. Will definitely be bringing the green ones with me this time.

I have pj's packed as opposed to nightdresses. Last time I was in nightdresses and everyone else was in pj's I felt like such a geek lol....so this time it's pj central. Got some over sized ones in Dunnes so fingers crossed they'll fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Congratulations lilliq . . that's an impressive size baby :D

The green pads are the best for the first few days, they're hospital grade and the most comfortable on the stitches. Pj's in hospital . . it only takes a second to whip off the bottoms if they need to check the stitches ;) And i'd go with black after the birth just in case of leakage :eek::D
    Pj's are really discreet for breastfeeding too cos you only need to pull the top up.
    I'd bring a small bag with pads nappies 2 vests and 2 babygro's and a washbag spare jammies and you can have a bigger bag packed at home to be brought in later. . the less you have to carry round with you between the labour ward delivery room and post natal ward the easier it is. .

I have officially one week left. . next week i have my appointment with the consultant and unless i'm in labour i'll be given a date for induction. . i was asked if i wanted a sweep but i turned it down .. :rolleyes:

And baby is dropping slowly :D maybe i will pack my bag . . .
    glad the scan went well hannibal. . did they say it was pressure causing the pain?? big baby head :P

haahaa cbyrd, you'll laugh, I mentioned it to the woman doing the scan yesterday, I was determined she had a scanning machine beside her so I was going to get an answer lol....anyhow she turns around and suggests it might be a urinary tract infection :rolleyes: I thought for goodness sake, what way am I explaining this lol, so I just gave up. Whatever it is I've only 6 more weeks to live with it :D She did say they head is way down, so I'm just going on the presumption that that's what it is.

dublinlady wrote: »
    Huge congrats liliq!!!!! Enjoy your first few weeks with Rory!!!

Tigeress I hope your ok and not too sore? I ordered a dream genii maternity pillow today - are ya tryin something like that?

Thanks DL :) pains don't seem to be easing at the mo :( hopefully soon though.. I didn't get one of those genii pillows myself but heard they're great! I have a large V shaped pillow that goes under my bump and through my legs aswell as a mass amount of normal pillows around me.. How's your bump doing? Any movements yet? Are you gonna find out the sex? 2 weeks and counting till my next scan hehe :)

Hey! Bump ok-ish! It's bigger sometimes and smaller others!! But it's still v.soft and feels more like fat than baby! I'm only a 10-12 normally so don't understand where my baba is hiding!!!!! When does it go properly round and hard?? Like in def showing - I work in retail and customers are saying oh and your pregnant etc, so it's def there!! It's just a jellybaby!!!! Haha!
    Slight flutters only in the evenings when watching tv, but really really light! I'm dying for proper movement!! My next scan is at 21 weeks, which is 2 and half weeks away - 10th oct! CANNOT wait!!! We think we are going to find out the sex.... Curiosity is killing me!!!! I'd absolutely love either but really think I'd like to be able to imagine and picture a boy or a girl - I'm such a planner and the uncertainty is killing me!!! Will tell noone the sex tho - other than my boardie friends obvs!!! So just gonna pretend we didn't find out!!!
    Can I just say for the 100th time.... I love being pregnant!!! :)

Tigeress I hope your ok and not too sore? I ordered a dream genii maternity pillow today - are ya tryin something like that?

Thanks DL :) pains don't seem to be easing at the mo :( hopefully soon though.. I didn't get one of those genii pillows myself but heard they're great! I have a large V shaped pillow that goes under my bump and through my legs aswell as a mass amount of normal pillows around me.. How's your bump doing? Any movements yet? Are you gonna find out the sex? 2 weeks and counting till my next scan hehe :)

Hey! Bump ok-ish! It's bigger sometimes and smaller others!! But it's still v.soft and feels more like fat than baby! I'm only a 10-12 normally so don't understand where my baba is hiding!!!!! When does it go properly round and hard?? Like in def showing - I work in retail and customers are saying oh and your pregnant etc, so it's def there!! It's just a jellybaby!!!! Haha!
    Slight flutters only in the evenings when watching tv, but really really light! I'm dying for proper movement!! My next scan is at 21 weeks, which is 2 and half weeks away - 10th oct! CANNOT wait!!! We think we are going to find out the sex.... Curiosity is killing me!!!! I'd absolutely love either but really think I'd like to be able to imagine and picture a boy or a girl - I'm such a planner and the uncertainty is killing me!!! Will tell noone the sex tho - other than my boardie friends obvs!!! So just gonna pretend we didn't find out!!!

Doh has that posted twice? Sorry mods - on my iPhone!!

Red fraggle - I also getting pains in sides quite regularly - not always just when moving but I'm convinced they are round ligament and stretching pains as sometimes I have a bad day of them and then the next day I'm a little bit bigger!!

Oh yeah :) lots of fluttering just now... I think the baby likes chocolate muffins!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Ive had a horrible day. I was involved in a minor car crash this morning, i was wearing my seat belt but it really pulled into my tummy and i think i hit my belly off the steering wheel. I went to the Rotunda, where I attend and they checked the heartbeat..it took ages to find..but they did find it!then I had a scan and everything looked ok, the baby was moving loads etc. Im still so scared though, its now a good 12 hours since the crash and i feel fine and no strange feelings or pains anywhere. Im just worried about the baby, that I have done some damage that cant be seen now..has anybody got any experience with anything like this?

pippington wrote: »
    Ive had a horrible day. I was involved in a minor car crash this morning, i was wearing my seat belt but it really pulled into my tummy and i think i hit my belly off the steering wheel. I went to the Rotunda, where I attend and they checked the heartbeat..it took ages to find..but they did find it!then I had a scan and everything looked ok, the baby was moving loads etc. Im still so scared though, its now a good 12 hours since the crash and i feel fine and no strange feelings or pains anywhere. Im just worried about the baby, that I have done some damage that cant be seen now..has anybody got any experience with anything like this?

wow Pippington, I hope you're okay...how far along are you?

If it helps I have read in What to Expect When You're Expecting that it's highly unlikely that a car crash or any other blow to the tummy (unless it's a major one) will cause any damage because the baby is so well protected with the amniotic fluid etc. But I can imagine how worried you must be. A friend of mine was in a pretty bad crash at 8 months, when I say pretty bad I mean she suffered severe whiplash and 2 years later is still suffering from back complaints, but the baby was fine xx

Tis good isn't it? :D

I don't know when the bump starts to take shape and harden, I don't really remember. But it seems for ages the bump is more noticeable to others that in it is to us. All I know is I'm week 34 and people won't flippin shut up about it :mad::D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

i think my bump started to round and harden from 20 weeks on. my husband thinks its huge but im wondering when its gona get bigger! if i look a side view in the mirror it is quite big and it depends what clothes i wear aswell. i would normally be a size 10-12 aswel.

its good to know others have similar pains! i think my baby likes chocolate too!:D

id say in another week you might start to feel stronger kicks.:D i love being pregnant too:D (not the constant worrying bout my little baby tho!:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My bumps seems bigger and harder in the evening, I was watching a baby documentary last night and was shocked at how flat a woman at 16 weeks belly was, mine is definately more round and hard at only 13 weeks :eek: I couldn't hide it now even if I wanted to, but just like everything else in life everyone is different :)
    How exciting that you are getting flutters, I so can't wait for that. I have my first hospital scan in 8 days, I'm excited but nervous to see that everything is ok.
    DL I am a huge planner too hence the fact that I have a spare room full of baby stuff already. Can't wait to hear what you are having :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Im 18 weeks. everything seems fine, but i think i will just always have a niggle of worry now, even more so than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

pippington wrote: »
    Im 18 weeks. everything seems fine, but i think i will just always have a niggle of worry now, even more so than before.

Good to hear everything is ok, I think I'd be the same in your shoes but try not to worry too much, easier said than done I know :)

Hehe DL love the jellybaby :) I was like that for ages thinking it just looked like I ate too much rather than having a baby but it's a bump for sure now! I can't remember when it went all hard! It's like a rock now though and baba kicks and punches me all day long which I love :) my only real complaint is the lack of sleep cause if pains but I'm coping :) it's worth it! Yey for 10th Oct! Very exciting! Ours is the 5th of Oct and can't wait to find out what we're having :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Pippington, you poor thing hope you're ok after your crash. You must have had a terrible fright :(

Dublinlady so glad you're enjoying your pregnancy :) can't say I'm at that stage yet, too sick/tired! not complaining though, I know they're all good signs! Omg can't believe you're almost 21 weeks already :eek: where has the time gone?!!

Tigeress too so exciting getting your scans!

Cbyrd, one week left :eek: are you all prepared? :)

Pippington, you poor thing hope you're ok after your crash. You must have had a terrible fright :(

Dublinlady so glad you're enjoying your pregnancy :) can't say I'm at that stage yet, too sick/tired! not complaining though, I know they're all good signs! Omg can't believe you're almost 21 weeks already :eek: where has the time gone?!!

Thanks Cap :) going into my 28th week and officially in my third trimester thank goodness :) how are you getting on? Your scan is soon isnt it?

Pippington I really hope you're ok! Just take it easy hun x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Eh no. . I bought a new bag and i have all the things to go in it. . but i haven't actually put them in yet :D 4 days to my last app when they'll probably give me an inducement date and i still haven't decided when i'm finishing work :eek:
    But at least my fridge is clean :D

How are you cap??

cbyrd wrote: »
    Eh no. . I bought a new bag and i have all the things to go in it. . but i haven't actually put them in yet :D 4 days to my last app when they'll probably give me an inducement date and i still haven't decided when i'm finishing work :eek:
    But at least my fridge is clean :D

How are you cap??

Oh my god, you're gas. I've my bags packed & ready to go for 3/4 weeks now. Have taken them apart a good few times, but think they're finished now. Probably will go over 2 weeks now, just to serve me right for being so organised.

My other half stripped out the babies room about 2 weeks ago, so I was on strict instructions not to go early. Thankfully it's nearly back together now - painted, new floors & new wardrobe. He wants to paint the double bed though cos it doesn't match the floor, so that's still in pieces on the floor. I know someone is nesting, but it's not me! :D
    It's not going to be a baby only room for the first while, we'll keep it as a guest room for a while. Think we'll sleep in it at the beginning anyway, as I'll hopefully be breastfeeding & it's better suited for a moses basket to fit beside the bed than in our room.

Oh blimey...the moses basket....I best hunt that out :eek:

Met the most fantastic doctor that I've ever had the pleasure to deal with today, after all my moaning about Holles ST the other day and all :D Omg he was so lovely, explained everything about the pains I was getting (they're pressure pains, nothing can be done about them he said you can do physio but don't bother coz it's at the top floor of the hospital and it'll do you more harm trying to get there than any good it could do:D) and all my concerns about going into labour he listened and really set my mind at ease.

I don't have to go back for 2 weeks, so either way I've made it longer than my first pregnancy woohooo! Oh and the head is well down...so I'm taking that as a good sign that things might happen in time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Somebody hold me back. I've started to notice really grubby paintwork and I'm seriously tempted to pull out the pots of paint. :o

Advertisement