Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

foxinsocks wrote: »
    Congrats that's brilliant news! I hate you! But it's still great news! :)

Does that mean you don't even have to bother with testing yourself though???

If yes, then I hate you more!

I still have to test, but I've taken a few days off ;) I had an aero bar last night and omg it was awful, it was so sweet :eek:

But to be honest with you Fox, I feel so full of energy with the diet I'm not giving it up now, I've really got into the swing of it.

Thank you so much for all your help and support though, I'd have never stayed sane without you. How are you getting on lately?

Great to see everyone is doing so well in here xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Dear god please let me stop nesting... i'm up since 7.30am COOKING..:eek:

I've got 3lbs of spag bol made a massive pot of stew is on the cooker i've 7.5 kgs of potatoes peeled some uncooked in the freezer some cooked and mashed and in the freezer and 3/4 of the stew is for the freezer when its finished.. i have the bathroom scrubbed and the moses basket covers and sheets in the dryer . . and it's only 11am. . my appointment yesterday was so frustrating.. a young doctor..:rolleyes:
    i got to see pictures of his 3 kids.. heard all about how his 20 months old won't sleep at night.. how he works 80 hours a week...i don't know if my baby has dropped but he did tell me he was weighing it in at over 8lbs..:eek:
    plus he told me to come back to the clinic again next week despite what the midwife said last week that they'd bring me back at 10 or 12 days over, monitor me for a while and either keep me or bring me in on day 14... which would've been one app next week and baby the week after... instead of 3.. i was so annoyed when i pointed this out to him he said sure you'll only be 6 days over next tuesday.. he's not the one who has to entertain and run after a toddler for over an hour every time i go to the clinic... typical man :eek: the midwife was annoyed though too at being overruled. . :D.. on the bright side the coal bunker is full the freezer is full.. i'm all set. .

MY BAG IS PACKED :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I cant believe im 19weeks already! I went shopping with my mum yesterday..was looking at all the lovely little baby things. Then my mum starts freaking me out saying dont you dare buy anything for the baby until your about to burst, dont draw bad luck on yourself, have nothing in the house for your baby! Talk about superstitious...kinda scared me though!
    That being said she made my buy stuff for my hospital bag saying well you never when you will have to go in and you dont want himself faffing about trying to find things! Mothers! :rolleyes:

cbyrd wrote: »
    Dear god please let me stop nesting... i'm up since 7.30am COOKING..:eek:

I've got 3lbs of spag bol made a massive pot of stew is on the cooker i've 7.5 kgs of potatoes peeled some uncooked in the freezer some cooked and mashed and in the freezer and 3/4 of the stew is for the freezer when its finished.. i have the bathroom scrubbed and the moses basket covers and sheets in the dryer . . and it's only 11am. . my appointment yesterday was so frustrating.. a young doctor..:rolleyes:
    i got to see pictures of his 3 kids.. heard all about how his 20 months old won't sleep at night.. how he works 80 hours a week...i don't know if my baby has dropped but he did tell me he was weighing it in at over 8lbs..:eek:
    plus he told me to come back to the clinic again next week despite what the midwife said last week that they'd bring me back at 10 or 12 days over, monitor me for a while and either keep me or bring me in on day 14... which would've been one app next week and baby the week after... instead of 3.. i was so annoyed when i pointed this out to him he said sure you'll only be 6 days over next tuesday.. he's not the one who has to entertain and run after a toddler for over an hour every time i go to the clinic... typical man :eek: the midwife was annoyed though too at being overruled. . :D.. on the bright side the coal bunker is full the freezer is full.. i'm all set. .

MY BAG IS PACKED :pac:

Cbyrd i hope they leave you 12 days over...I'm so sorry...but your posts are so funny I'm gonna miss them when the baby arrives :D Now, can I put in an order for some of that spag bol please :D

Pippington, don't be listening to superstitions, if you want to buy something for your ickle one, you buy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Ah it'll be all over the newborn and toddlers about baby spit and leaky boobs and trying to defrost dinner :D

Pippington, i've had the moses basket since before i was pregnant (because my brother wouldn't take it back in fear he'd need it again :D) I found it easier to buy a little bit every now and again.. it means you don't have a huge expensive trip when you're not able to shop.. i've had nappies and bits gathering in the utility room for weeks.. it means when i'm not working i won't have to spend loads on extra stuff.. (not to mention the extra dishwasher tabs and washing gel and lenor :eek:) and boxes of size 5 nappies too :rolleyes: i feel like one of the freaks from extreme couponing :D
    Being prepared is not bad luck.. it's sensible. . ;) and the small stuff is so cute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

pippington wrote: »
    I cant believe im 19weeks already! I went shopping with my mum yesterday..was looking at all the lovely little baby things. Then my mum starts freaking me out saying dont you dare buy anything for the baby until your about to burst, dont draw bad luck on yourself, have nothing in the house for your baby! Talk about superstitious...kinda scared me though!
    That being said she made my buy stuff for my hospital bag saying well you never when you will have to go in and you dont want himself faffing about trying to find things! Mothers! :rolleyes:

I've been ignoring the same superstitions of my mum and gathering bits and pieces. Mostly because the idea of going baby clothes shopping when I am ginormous is scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

pippington wrote: »

It's mad some of the superstitions going around! :rolleyes: Here in Denmark it's apparantly bad luck to bring the pram into the house before the baby. What a load of crap!
    Today I rooted out my store of baby clothes, to throw them in a wash. I have some new, some bought second hand - threw them all in the wash anyway just to be sure. But some of the little things look like they wouldn't fit a barbie doll !- crazy to think that they are actually new borns clothes! Gave me that lovely warm and fuzzy feeling inside, looking at them though :) Am looking forward to 15 November more than ever now! :)

haahaa Cbyrd keep the potatoes for when you're weaning, they'll be dead handy :D Don't they say though that the nesting instinct kicks in couple of days before labour hits...so you never know you could have your baby by the end of the week :eek:

Jees Ivy and Pippington, I wish my mother was as superstitious as yours....she won't stop buying me stuff, I had to tell her I've no room for any more. Though she did buy me loads of stuff for the hospital, which was gratefully received :D

Can anyone tell me if you are supposed to use a pillow with a newborn - either in a pram or a moses basket? Am finding conflicting info online.
    If you are supposed to use a pillow, how thick should it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

cbyrd if you could also put me down for some frozen dinners that's be great. All I've stocked up on so far is crap - Goodfella's pizzas, Frozen rice, bread & things like fishfingers. Maybe when I finish up in work on Friday I'll be all systems go, but not sure. I can see me & the other half surviving on take aways for the first week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

nicowa wrote: »
    Due 19th-21st of Dec... and terrified over the roads and the weather at Christmas. We're in Leopardstown and for some reason the clinic gave options of the three maternity hospitals in the centre of the city - I'm in Holles Street. Which is great, but I really didn't realise that Mount Carmel was so close. I suppose it'll be fine unless it's an emergency. I've himself told that he has to do a few practice runs so he knows the best routes - he's terrible at directions.

Other than that I'm mostly worried about keeping the baby warm once home and whether to go for walks and stuff... Apart from the actual labour bit, and breastfeeding, that's my main worry.

I can't control the other stuff, whether or not the baby sleeps at night etc, so I'm letting that go. I'm wise (and fooling myself) that way! :D

im worried bout all these things too! especially snow and ice! i live in the middle of the country and to get out of my drive my choice is a hill at both sides!! tractor was my mode of transport last year!!" we are 30 - 40 mins from hospital. also worried bout keepin baby warm and how much clothes to put on etc. and the labour but i know once that comes theres nothing i can do only go with it! :eek: (thats normal rational me talking now :))

had my doc appt yesterday. he is happy with blood pressure no swelling etc. went to take babys heart beat but baby had other ideas. after being quiet for the last few days as soon as doc tried to get the heartbeat baby was jumping around like an acrobat! as soon as he had the hearbeat and started his count baby was off in another direction :D he tried bout 10 times and then said 'you have a very active baby!' heartbeat sounded good and strong for the few secs i heard it. i really love when baby is active and kicking. i feel reassured :)

Can anyone tell me if you are supposed to use a pillow with a newborn - either in a pram or a moses basket? Am finding conflicting info online.

I didn't, I just lay him flat. The only reason I used a pillow was when he suffered from nasal congestion, it worked as gravity for the..erm..mucus..:o..it was a wedged shape thing that came with the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I don't know if there's an official line on this but I never used a pillow. As far as I know, baby is supposed to lie flat on his back as much as possible. Using a pillow would surely tilt the head forward? That would have the same effect as keeping baby in a car seat or bouncer with the associated risk of oxygen deprivation (not meaning to sound scary!) as the windpipe is still so tiny and the head heavy an unsupported by neck muscles.

If wind is a problem or you want the baby to sleep at a slight angle, my phn told me to raise the legs at the top of the crib slightly, or you can get a wedge to put under the mattress (like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Safely-Wedge-reflux-congestion-standard/dp/B002PHXJIG/ref=pd_sim_by7). I used a memory foam sleep positioner (Ithink it was this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Summer-Infant-Resting-Sleep-Positioner/dp/B0035ER14Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317211097&sr=8-1) but the key thing was that baby's head was resting flat against the surface, it wasn't tilted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Yeah at our antenatal classes we were told no pillows, just put the baby down on its back. Also no cot bumpers or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Oral: why no cot bumpers, is there a special reason? Is that just for the first few weeks or a general rule? (haven't had my antenatal classes yet, must remember to ask them all that stuff, too...)

Re superstitions: Same here, my mom (from very close to Denmark) is adamant we can't have the pram in the house (it hasnt arrived yet, anyway) - yet goes off and buys every other baby thing under the sun...so we can't have the pram, but the cot's assembled along with the rest of the nursery. :rolleyes:

I'm also officially off work - sick leave going straight onto maternity leave. 8 weeks til due date - and I am already going mental. It's just sooooo boring at home (I know, in roughly 9 weeks I probably wish I could complain about boredom, but still) :o started talking to the cats like they're real people, keep looking out the window in case some poor unsuspecting neighbour happens to pass by - ready to pounce for a chat, and am seriously contemplating sending letters to myself - so I can talk to the postman...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Cot bumpers???? What in gods name are they???? Haha every time I read these threads I realise how little I know about babies and babies stuff!!!!
    20 weeks this weekend!!! So glad to pass that mark - finally halfway there!!!
    I'm dying to furnish the nursery but superstitions have me terrified!! Still think I'll do it around 7 months or so!
    Think my husband will kill me if I start buying nappies/clothes etc... Think i may need to smuggle them in and hide them!!!! :)
    Bump growth certainly underway - delighted!!!! Small kicks etc - mostly after my morning coffee ( my only guilty pleasure!!) and after food - baby loves food!!!! Less than two weeks til find out the sex! So curious!!!!!!!!! Head says boy... Heart says girl... Would love love love either!! But sadly I think I'll always think that whatever it is that it's twin who we lost at 9 weeks was the opposite - so if it's a boy I'll be sad for my girl and vice versa- stupid I know as there's no way of knowing what the other baba was but still - I'll always feel it!
    Skirting boards annoying me already - lord knows what I'll be like in 3 months!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have one word: Siatica.

I'm in agony, I have a doctors appointment in the morning and I'm not leaving until he tells me how I'm going to kill this pain so I can work for the next 11 weeks.

It really hurts after work and when I laugh, so Cbyrd, cut it out, I'm in stitches. I never got that nesting thing last time, wish I did. My best friend got it instead and came over while I was in hospital and totally cleaned my house.

I just tried some Yoga and I cant even get into the basic positions... Let just see what the doc says.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have one word: Siatica.

I'm in agony, I have a doctors appointment in the morning and I'm not leaving until he tells me how I'm going to kill this pain so I can work for the next 11 weeks.

It really hurts after work and when I laugh, so Cbyrd, cut it out, I'm in stitches. I never got that nesting thing last time, wish I did. My best friend got it instead and came over while I was in hospital and totally cleaned my house.

I just tried some Yoga and I cant even get into the basic positions... Let just see what the doc says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Feck it anyway, I changed some setting on my subscriptions and missed days of updates

Wmpdd3 - congratulations!!!! I had to do a double take when I seen your thread as I was nearly sure you were on the pregnancy thread a while ago!
    That's amazing that you were so much further gone too!
    So are you over the shock yet? I'd love to be able to fast forward to the half way mark instead of counting down the minutes til the elusive 12 week mark!!
    Hopefully the sciatica will ease off soon. My sister works on her feet a lot and she can get terrible spasms of it at times so my heat goes out to you :(

Cbyrd I can't believe you're STILL working! your poor colleague must be terrified your waters will break at any moment :D
    So glad to hear you have your bag packed too :) sounds like you're cooking up a storm :eek: I wish I was that domesticated.

I feel your pain trying to entertain a toddler while waiting for a hospital appointment. I waited over an hour in hospital on Monday for my Ante Natal appt only to be told that I wasn't supposed to be there, the appt was a mistake but they'll see me in 8 weeks :rolleyes:
    Toddler was not impressed at being stuck waiting so long & kept calling every old lady that went by 'nanny' :o:o

Fair play to you for not smacking the consultant for telling you you would "only" 6 days over :P

Dublinlady so exciting that you're finding out the sex soon! I hope it won't be tinged with too much sadness under the circumstances x

Galah when I worked in childcare they never used cot bumpers due to the risk of the child becoming entangled in them. Moreso mobile children though.
    I think that was being extra cautious though as I'd imagine if they posed a very serious risk then they wouldn't be allowed to sell them.

I hope the time flies by for you. I know I found the time seemed to drag forever in the last week before my daughter decided to finally arrive (2 weeks late & I finished work 3 weeks before my due date :rolleyes:)

oh my goodness why has mother nature stuck a flippin heat wave onto the end of September! She's some evil piece of work...I've no clothes for this weather...all my late maternity stuff are kind of woolen spring/autumn things....this weather is too hot for them....I'm dying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

oh my goodness why has mother nature stuck a flippin heat wave onto the end of September! She's some evil piece of work...I've no clothes for this weather...all my late maternity stuff are kind of woolen spring/autumn things....this weather is too hot for them....I'm dying!

I'm kinda the opposite, a lot of my summer clothes would be grand maternity wear, but I'm due in February so I have to buy a rake of winter maternity clothes, including a proper coat, going to cost me a bomb (don't need a coat or boots or anything like that here in the summer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Plus, as if it isn't hard enough to sleep at night without feeling like you are sleeping in an oven :(

I feel your pain Ivy, it really kills me buying maternity clothes knowing I'm only going to use them for a short while. Up until a few weeks ago I could wear normal tops, but not now. The bump is round and low and none of my regular tops are long enough. For a coat, you could just get a non fitted normal coat that's a size too big? That's what I did last time and it worked, mind you I was only about 5 months pregnant during the winter at that stage.

MS2011 I hate the night time...i absolutely HATE it. It's bad enough trying to roll over but the heat as well :eek: Maybe I should be in the moan thread :o:D

I feel your pain Ivy, it really kills me buying maternity clothes knowing I'm only going to use them for a short while. Up until a few weeks ago I could wear normal tops, but not now. The bump is round and low and none of my regular tops are long enough.

I am wearing maternity clothes for the past few months ( am 33 weeks) and I have the strange predicament whereby any of the maternity jeans or trousers I bought are too small - even though I am a 12 and I buy a 14 in maternity trousers - am I doing something wrong here? I have had to cut the band of all of my maternity trousers with a scissors, in order for them to feel comfortable. Some of them felt like they were gonna cut me in half whenever I sat down :( These are H&M and Dorothy Perkins and New Look maternity jeans / trousers - has anyone else had this issue? Am I supposed to buy a couple of sizes up or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I feel your pain trying to entertain a toddler while waiting for a hospital appointment. I waited over an hour in hospital on Monday for my Ante Natal appt only to be told that I wasn't supposed to be there, the appt was a mistake but they'll see me in 8 weeks :rolleyes:
    Toddler was not impressed at being stuck waiting so long & kept calling every old lady that went by 'nanny'

OMG Cap that's awful! I'd have been going mad! How are you keeping? How far are you now?

I'm back in the Doc again tomorrow :( I have a Pelvic & Hip alignment problem since I became pregnant and it's gotten sooooo much worse over the last few days! I cant walk & just moving is torture.. Hopeing he'll have some sort of magic cure for me although I know he's just gonna say there is nothing he can do... Other than that & no sleep I'm doing good! Looking forward to my scan on Wed and hopefully finding out what we're having finally :D going up north in 2 weeks to get the last of our baby shopping done & stocking up on essentials :) I love going up
    north shopping hehe and now he's driving it means I don't have too :)
    Hope everyone is doing good!

I feel your pain Ivy, it really kills me buying maternity clothes knowing I'm only going to use them for a short while. Up until a few weeks ago I could wear normal tops, but not now. The bump is round and low and none of my regular tops are long enough.

I am wearing maternity clothes for the past few months ( am 33 weeks) and I have the strange predicament whereby any of the maternity jeans or trousers I bought are too small - even though I am a 12 and I buy a 14 in maternity trousers - am I doing something wrong here? I have had to cut the band of all of my maternity trousers with a scissors, in order for them to feel comfortable. Some of them felt like they were gonna cut me in half whenever I sat down :( These are H&M and Dorothy Perkins and New Look maternity jeans / trousers - has anyone else had this issue? Am I supposed to buy a couple of sizes up or what?

Cunning that's awful! I haven't had that prob with my maternity jeans but I just got my normal size?! I hope they last to the end! Have you tried leggings? I got maternity leggings in H&M in Newbridge and they're super comfy!

Hannible & MS I'm not liking the het at night either! What's going on? I can't remember it being so warm last year?! In work the staff keep turning the AC up to 25 and it's killing me! I feel like I'm actually gonna melt away lol.. Maybe this winter won't be as bad this year? Wishful thinking on my half :) I haven't bought any coats yet & hoping I might be able to get away with wearing my normal coats only open instead of buying another one.. Maternity clothes are so expensive :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Tigeress wrote: »
    Hannible & MS I'm not liking the het at night either! What's going on? I can't remember it being so warm last year?! In work the staff keep turning the AC up to 25 and it's killing me!

I'm sitting here on my bed watching Eastenders with just a vest top and underwear on(god that sounds like one of those sex chat lines :D), window wide open and ceiling fan on and I'm still baking :(
    I am wearing maternity clothes for the past few months ( am 33 weeks) and I have the strange predicament whereby any of the maternity jeans or trousers I bought are too small - even though I am a 12 and I buy a 14 in maternity trousers - am I doing something wrong here?

I would be a size 10-12 ordinarily, I bought a size 12 jeans in Mothercare and they fit fine, the only thing I don't like about them is that the belly band isn't very big and keeps folding under my bump, I prefer the bands to sit over my bump but that's just me :)

Hi ladies :) quick question! Are the Mothercare Maternity Pads or the Green one ya get from the hospital better? Gonna buy them soon and wanna get the best ones! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hi ladies :) quick question! Are the Mothercare Maternity Pads or the Green one ya get from the hospital better? Gonna buy them soon and wanna get the best ones! Thanks :)

Still subscribed to this thread almost 10 months on! :eek: :D Green ones are most definitely better, really comfy too which I didn't find with the others.

• Advertisement

Lola92 wrote: »

Still subscribed to this thread almost 10 months on! :eek: :D Green ones are most definitely better, really comfy too which I didn't find with the others.

Thanks Lola :) hoping my chemist sells them or a trip to boots it is!

Advertisement