Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I decided to be creative and save some monies, got some cheap wool in a charity shop thats super soft......started knitting a blanket...spent a good 20minutes crying over the friggin blanket last night as I had dropped 3 stitches 4 rows back!babyll be 12 before the blankets done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

14 weeks today, got to see babs again this morning, it's amazing the difference in size since 8 weeks, poor babs looks squashed in there already :)
    Everything looking good and baby is measuring right on the money, I'm one happy mammy to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hi ladies,

my little one has been doin lots of kicking and jumping. i love it! the clients i work with are now telling me i look huge and asking lots about kicks! (i work with adults with intellectual disabilties).

so i have a question, im goin to buy some essentials for baby tomorrow hopefully and was wondering what are muslin cloths and do i need them?? feel so clueless sometimes! :o

25 weeks now so only 15 to go! :eek: cant wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

hi ladies,

my little one has been doin lots of kicking and jumping. i love it! the clients i work with are now telling me i look huge and asking lots about kicks! (i work with adults with intellectual disabilties).

so i have a question, im goin to buy some essentials for baby tomorrow hopefully and was wondering what are muslin cloths and do i need them?? feel so clueless sometimes! :o

I really miss the kicks (my Little one is almost 10 months) just saw this post and needed to reply.

YES to muslin cloths and plenty of them. Can be used as a bib, burp cloth, mopping up sick, putting over cot sheet in case baby is sick (no need to change sheet in the middle of the night), handy to put down on public changing table when out, cleaning up spills, shade from the sun on the buggy, any other amount of things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

hi ladies,

Definatley get some Muslins :) they're amazing! Mothercare do really good deals on them every few weeks too! I got a pack of 15 for €12 in there about 3 weeks ago.. Just plain White. You can use them for everything as Lola said :)

Well I went to the Doc yest & he has signed me off work for 2 weeks & said he'll decide then if I can go back to work :( I love working and it's only part time but my pelvis and hips aren't aligning properly and causing loads of pain :( he's been arguing with me for 3 weeks now to take time off and insisted yest.. Hopefully the 2 week rest will do me good and I'll be able to go back! I'll go outta my mind at home all day everyday! Can't wait for our scan on Wed! They'll be giving us a def due date & hopefully we'll find out the sex :) very exciting hehe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

oh Tigeress, I hear ya! I'm off work for the remainder of this pregnancy (8 weeks to go), and it's driving me insane. Going from full on social interaction, solving problems, coordinating and whatnot to 'hm, will I have a snack now, or lunch first?', 'Judge Judy or random cook show?' and 'nap now or not'. It's frustrating to say the least!

That said, if you need the rest, you need the rest (had to learn that one the hard way)...stock up on movies and good books, and try to enjoy it ;-)

re muslin cloths: Tesco has packs of 6 for 6 euros (according to their website - although I am SURE I got them cheaper than that). very useful ;-)

galah wrote: »
    oh Tigeress, I hear ya! I'm off work for the remainder of this pregnancy (8 weeks to go), and it's driving me insane. Going from full on social interaction, solving problems, coordinating and whatnot to 'hm, will I have a snack now, or lunch first?', 'Judge Judy or random cook show?' and 'nap now or not'. It's frustrating to say the least!

That said, if you need the rest, you need the rest (had to learn that one the hard way)...stock up on movies and good books, and try to enjoy

Oh Galah I'm dreading being off for 12 weeks! Although the house would be spotless hehe! I'll get myself into some sort of routine & I'll be grand :) how are you doing? I hope your 8 weeks are flying by for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

cheers for that!

doing ok, kind of...bored out of my brains, very sore back, can't bend down (that puts paid to cleaning or doing anything more than moving from bed to couch), and generally frustrated. But apart from that - never been better :p

hope all ye other ladies are doing ok! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

re muslin cloths: Tesco has packs of 6 for 6 euros (according to their website - although I am SURE I got them cheaper than that). very useful ;-)

They are the ones I got last time, they were great, I must have 18 of them. Never seen them any cheaper, must have a look in Mothercare in case they do any deals.

I went to doc on Wednesday to tell her my new due date( 10 weeks sooner than we thought) she yet again nearly fell off the chair. I am crippled with Sciatica pain in my hips. I cant carry my 1 yr old up the stairs and only roll over in bed when absolutely necessary.

Doc has recommended 500mg of paracetamol 3 times a day. So now my stomach is in bits. I need a full stomach to take the pills. Found out the hard way!

Anyone know, who do I ask about a brace? I borrowed one from a friend last time, her consultant gave it to her, but with all the hulabolu in the hospital, I didn't get a chance to ask them last time, but I'm back in again on Wednesday to see how much the little guy has grown, so I can get a proper EDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Wmpdd3, it might be no harm ringing your gp. If he doesn't have a brace, he might ring the hospital on your behalf to request one.
    Worth a try to get you some relief.

Tigeress you poor thing, that sounds really painful :( fingers crossed the next fortnight off will improve things & you'll be able to get back to work.
    On the pads, I found the boots maternity one's really good. they were softer than the one's they gave me in hospital and a must when recovering from stitches.

Ms2011 I'm delighted your scan went so well!! must have been brill to see baba again :)

Pippington, I did that when I was pregnant last only I resorted to crocheting (badly :o).
    Needless to say baby never did get the 'blanket' I'd started :o
    Hope you have better success with it than I did!

On the topic of maternity wear - I got away with wearing a size or two bigger stuff from Penneys on my last pregnancy. I spent no more than €100 tops. I did get a pair of maternity jeans online which were I think Next brand, they were terrible!
    They didn't sit on or over my bump, so they hung under it making me look like a wannabe gangsta :D
    I pretty much lived in stretchy dresses with leggings for the latter pat of the pregnancy. Odd considering I had sworn off leggings since the 90's :D

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »

They are the ones I got last time, they were great, I must have 18 of them. Never seen them any cheaper, must have a look in Mothercare in case they do any deals.

I went to doc on Wednesday to tell her my new due date( 10 weeks sooner than we thought) she yet again nearly fell off the chair. I am crippled with Sciatica pain in my hips. I cant carry my 1 yr old up the stairs and only roll over in bed when absolutely necessary.

Doc has recommended 500mg of paracetamol 3 times a day. So now my stomach is in bits. I need a full stomach to take the pills. Found out the hard way!

Anyone know, who do I ask about a brace? I borrowed one from a friend last time, her consultant gave it to her, but with all the hulabolu in the hospital, I didn't get a chance to ask them last time, but I'm back in again on Wednesday to see how much the little guy has grown, so I can get a proper EDD.

On my last Antenatal Appoint I was told if I need a brace (which apparently I will do soon) all I have to do is go into the Physio Dept in my local Hospital & they'll give me one free there and then! No need to make an appointment or anything! I'm in Portlaoise so I'm not sure if that's the same with all Hospitals but maybe worth calling the Physio Dept & asking?! Hope the brace helps hun x

Thanks Cap :) it's pretty rough but I'm managing.. Just about lol! I think my OH has seen enough of me crying with pain for the rest of his life by now :O

Seriously though what is with this weather? I can't take much more of the heat :( I'm sweltering! The min I get home when out I'm stripping down to underwear to cool down lol.. Just a few degrees colder would be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Trying to decide if my baby likes loud music or not...last night one of the neighbours had a house party and the music (drums, guitars, base, the works) was blaring til quite late (not complaining about it, they did tell us they were having a party and it WAS Saturday night), but the baby was kicking more than ever! And it was almost in time to the music...so not sure if he was enjoying it or complaining! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I did get a pair of maternity jeans online which were I think Next brand, they were terrible!
    They didn't sit on or over my bump, so they hung under it making me look like a wannabe gangsta :D

I think it depends on your bump. I have the same maternity jeans that I had on my first pregnancy. On the first one I found them so uncomfortable I hated wearing them. I went a size up with work trousers and hooshed them over my bump, which held them up :D But this time around I've found the maternity jeans so so comfortable, they sit just right and I amn't pulling them up all the time. The only thing I find is the length is such a hassle. I'm only 5ft, so I have to keep them turned up, which I hate, I feel like something from Dexy's Midnight Runners :D
    Trying to decide if my baby likes loud music or not...last night one of the neighbours had a house party and the music (drums, guitars, base, the works) was blaring til quite late (not complaining about it, they did tell us they were having a party and it WAS Saturday night), but the baby was kicking more than ever! And it was almost in time to the music...so not sure if he was enjoying it or complaining! :p

haahaa it's funny you say that. On my first anytime there was traditional Irish music being played my son used to go mental, kicking away. After he was born anytime there was trad music he would always stop, listen and kick like mad too :D

ok so muslin coths it is. thanks for that everyone!:)

so my husband and I were discussing labour in bed the other night. it was all good and lighthearted. we were joking alot. then i told him it might not be best to joke during the labour as it might end badly for him and i wont be able for it (the joking)! :rolleyes: so he turns around and says sure you wont be able for it anyway!:eek: i took this up as not being able for the labour, and i know we were joking but this kinda set me off! i know i will be as i have no choice and women do it everyday. im actually a little excited (wierd i know) about it to see how i cope. this night anyway i freaked out thinking what if im not able!!

anyway my rational brain has returned now. and i know my husband will be a good birth partner. 14 weeks 5 days left :D cant wait.

also about the maternity pads. i saw a light green packet of boots brand when i was in boots. are these the good green ones everyone is talking about or are they a specific brand? thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

also about the maternity pads. i saw a light green packet of boots brand when i was in boots. are these the good green ones everyone is talking about or are they a specific brand? thanks.

i got the maternity ones--- but they look nothing like the hospital pads shown at antenatal classes
    I think I will get a few packets of hospital ones as they look like they have more soakage.

These are the good ones the hospital give you / use.

BV5605622012612FRONTSMALL.jpg

After that pack I just used Always night with wings. Still have 3 packs of Tesco mat pads... never used.

i got the maternity ones--- but they look nothing like the hospital pads shown at antenatal classes
    I think I will get a few packets of hospital ones as they look like they have more soakage.

My goodness I really know nothing about labour and all that...soakage...is that for blood or what? I think I need to prepare myself psychologically for this! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

My goodness I really know nothing about labour and all that...soakage...is that for blood or what? I think I need to prepare myself psychologically for this! :)

Yeah for blood but if they break your waters in an induction you have to wear them and keep on changing them until you deliver. I used 2 at once for the first couple of days as they can move around - don't come with a sticky back. Then moved over to night pads with wings.

I have been so ratty the last couple of days hubby has been making every effort to avoid me. I don't blame him it's just that he spent most of the weekend out of the house and I need to get work done in the house. Catch 22 situation because I'm now more ratty due to the lack of work being done and there are somethings I simply cannot do.

Nipped up North to pick up some bits & pieces recently. A tip for anybody buying nappies. P*mpers size 2 come in both green & yellow packaging. Yellow is their standard colour for "newborn" nappies. You rarely get yellow nappies on a decent special however if you look hard at the green packages you will find size 2 and they do get discounted a lot. Size 2 is for weight 3-6kg. Approx 3kg is 7lbs which is a small newborn for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Yep, no one tells u these things and I wish I'd known. U will bleed a lot after delivery, in my case for almost 3 weeks, starts off very heavy with lemon sized blood clots and then wears off like a regular period. Nothing uncomfortable or unmanageable but something I wish I'd known.
    Don't bother with the ultra slim towels, get the thickest fattest granny ones u can get. Much more absorbent and more comfy if u have stitches :)

• Advertisement

Great advise on the pads! Thanks ladies :) I heard about the blood loss from my friend who only had a baby a few weeks ago and I was a little shocked but prepared now!

I have my Gestational Diabetes Test tomorrow & I'm really nervous :( I hate needles but web more so cause I have bad veins for blood tests so it always takes a few goes to get a sample an the thoughts of getting 3 blood tests done at intervals is freaking me out! On the plus side I get to see our baba on Wed for a scan :) looking forward to it is an understatement lol!

Just had my first uninvited belly-rubbing incident. From someone I don't even like.

How do the rest of ye pregnant ladies deal with this? I really really hate invasion of personal space, and I'm not at all touchy feely. I know people mean well, but I think it's really rude and I would never ever do it to another woman without being asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Just had my first uninvited belly-rubbing incident. From someone I don't even like.

How do the rest of ye pregnant ladies deal with this? I really really hate invasion of personal space, and I'm not at all touchy feely. I know people mean well, but I think it's really rude and I would never ever do it to another woman without being asked!
    Rub them back. Especially if they have a bit of a saggy belly, it usually embarrasses the hell out of them. Or just smack their hand away giving them your best mentally-unstable-pregnant-lady glare. You can get away with anything when you're pregnant, they'll just mutter 'hormones'. Or mutter it yourself.

Have to say I LOVE pregnant bellies and always want to touch them, but never would unless invited. Two of my sisters love to touch mine and feel baby kick, but the other one finds it weird and a bit gross. I don't mind people I like having a quick rub, it's usually when we greet each other first, but I can't abide acquaintances or strangers having a go. It's not like they'd find my protruding belly attractive or attempt to touch it under normal non-pregnant conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

The problem is that some people just find pregnant bellies irresistible. Let's face it, they're pretty cool! I wouldn't dream of touching someones belly if I wasn't invited, but others don't have that compunction. I don't mind it from people I'm close to, and comfortable with, but people I talk about the weather with really should keep their hands to themselves! Honestly, I would say try really hard to predict who might have the roving hands, and keep yourself out of arms reach. They aren't trying to be rude though, they're just sharing your excitement, so try to see it that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Oh Ivy I feel your pain. Thankfully I had no uninvited belly rubbing incidents last time, but I would utterly cringe if someone touched my belly this time!

I'm just not a touchy feely person full stop, the thoughts of someone invading my personal space like that freaks me right out!!

Just on the topic of the pads. The hospital one's are great for soakage alright, the problem I found with the one's I had was I didn't find them particularly sticky.
    So if you moved around much, they did too & ended up leaking as a result (sorry if tmi :o)
    I used the hospital one's the first day but used the boots and the heaviest flow of Always one's with wings. I know you end up changing them more frequently, but you've more confidence they're going to stay put.

Tigeress good luck with your GDT tomorrow :) I normally have hard to find veins too but thankfully they only had to try once when I had that test. Fingers crossed you'll get a really good nurse/midwife doing it that'll have no bother finding your vein :)

Sittingpretty, I agree, I wish I had been warned about that element of after labour beforehand! Or at the very least when I was leaving the hospital!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

on the issue of blood leakage etc - would incontinence pads be any good - they come thicker and are properly sticky?Just wondering if anyone ever tried this or is it just a daft idea!!?
    The way im going on im gonna be on the incontinence pads soon enough anyway!!!:eek: Crikey every time i sneeze i have to cross my legs and pray and im only 20 weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Tigeress wrote: »
    I have my Gestational Diabetes Test tomorrow & I'm really nervous :( I hate needles but web more so cause I have bad veins for blood tests so it always takes a few goes to get a sample an the thoughts of getting 3 blood tests done at intervals is freaking me out!

Does everyone get this test or only if you're at risk of developing GD??
    My arm is still really bruised from my booking bloods last week, the thoughts of more blood taking isn't filling me with joy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Does everyone get this test or only if you're at risk of developing GD??
    My arm is still really bruised from my booking bloods last week, the thoughts of more blood taking isn't filling me with joy :o

They only test if you have some (or all) of the risk factors. ie: Being overweight, having a close family member with diabetes (parent or sibling), or if you've previously given birth to a 'large' baby. They'll also test if one of your urine tests shows positive for sugar. Some of them will test if you have some other risk factors, like if you're over 35, or if you have high blood pressure, or previously unexplained miscarriages. Personally though, I think it'd do no harm to have more pregnancies checked. Plenty of women with no risk factors wind up with gestational diabetes.

I wasn't checked on my first one though, because at that point i was 4 stone lighter, 8 years younger, and my mother hadn't developed diabetes yet. Hannah was just over 7 pounds, and it's likely she would have been a lot bigger if I had unmanaged diabetes for that pregnancy.

The test isn't that bad compared to the risks associated with developing the condition, and continuing with it unmanaged, it's just a pain to have to have it. It'll just be a few hours out of your day, and a little discomfort.

Also not a touchy feely person, the first thing I could think of doing when someone rubbed my bump was to rub them back. They hated it but I didnt feel any better.

Scan Wednesday morning to see what week I am actually in, cant wait. But have to bring baby as have no sitter. I wouldnt mind but other peoples kids drove mad last time in the waiting room. Wonder can I sedate her, the scan is at her nap time. I think this is going to be a disaster... Oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Good luck today Tigress!

I was given a shocker yesterday. My BP is 130/80 and the doctor is in a flap about it, he's sending me to my GP at the end of the week, then for a bp series next monday and back to see him monday afternoon and he says depending on the readings we may be delivering the baby within the next week!!!

Now I have no doubt that I will not be meeting my baby within the next week lol, I just think it's a bit extreme for BP that isn't even high! :eek::D

I wish they'd just relax. They're panicking so much because of what happened the last time that they can't actually see that everything's okay this time! And if one more medical professional tells me if I get headaches/blurred vision etc etc to come in straight away I really am going to shove the BP machine where the sun doesn't shine! :p

He did however tell me that there will be no induction on this pregnancy whatsoever. If baby doesn't come naturally, because of the previous scar, it'll be a section and that's that.

Advertisement