Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Good luck today Tigress!

I was given a shocker yesterday. My BP is 130/80 and the doctor is in a flap about it

Now I have no doubt that I will not be meeting my baby within the next week lol, I just think it's a bit extreme for BP that isn't even high! :eek::D

AGREED, I'd be thrilled with 130/80!

He did however tell me that there will be no induction on this pregnancy whatsoever. If baby doesn't come naturally, because of the previous scar, it'll be a section and that's that.

That last bit doesn't make sense to me, lots of women give birth vaginally after a c-section... what would make induction more dangerous than going into labour naturally? Some doctors just go straight to what is 'safest' even though the option that is not 'safest' is also perfectly safe, do you think that is what is happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

foxinsocks wrote: »
    That last bit doesn't make sense to me, lots of women give birth vaginally after a c-section... what would make induction more dangerous than going into labour naturally? Some doctors just go straight to what is 'safest' even though the option that is not 'safest' is also perfectly safe, do you think that is what is happening?

I can give birth vaginally, if I go naturally, but I can't be induced. I do remember reading about it months ago when I got pregnant initially and it was to the contractions being too vigorous with the oxytocin and rupturing the scar. But it must differ from hospital to hospital, because I'm pretty sure January was induced on her second and she had a section on her first (hope it's okay to mention that January?). He was quite adamant about it though.

I have to say I'm not so disappointed not to be induced again. Out of all the three options (go into labour naturally, induction, c-section) I would prefer to go into labour naturally and give birth vaginally, but I hated the induction the last time, so if I miss out on that I won't be altogether heartbroken ;)

I think my doc is convinced I'll be in for a c-section. My little kickboxer is still breach, with 5 weeks to go, and the doc not wanting to send me to full term anyway.

DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT C-Section, unless it's an EMERGENCY.

I have my growth scan later today, so they can check to see baby is ok, and I presume to check that the placenta looks ok. I know placenta health can be a concern with the gestational diabetes, so maybe that is why doc is 'concerned' about the slightly small measurements last week. In a way, I'm glad she's so paranoid, I just wish I felt like I had a better chance of actually going into labour myself. I keep dreaming that I'm in labour and that I give birth naturally, almost every night now I dream I've gone into labour. It's quite tiring actually! Almost as tiring as the 8 times I had to get up and pee last night...

I think my doc is convinced I'll be in for a c-section. My little kickboxer is still breach, with 5 weeks to go, and the doc not wanting to send me to full term anyway.

DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT DON'T WANT C-Section, unless it's an EMERGENCY.

I have my growth scan later today, so they can check to see baby is ok, and I presume to check that the placenta looks ok. I know placenta health can be a concern with the gestational diabetes, so maybe that is why doc is 'concerned' about the slightly small measurements last week. In a way, I'm glad she's so paranoid, I just wish I felt like I had a better chance of actually going into labour myself. I keep dreaming that I'm in labour and that I give birth naturally, almost every night now I dream I've gone into labour. It's quite tiring actually! Almost as tiring as the 8 times I had to get up and pee last night...

Have they told you how far they'll let you go? Or is it a case of we'll keep an eye on baby and placenta and deliver you as soon as they start causing probs?

And I hear ya about the peeing...I would give anything to get at least 4 hours uninterrupted sleep, a full night would of course be terrifically ideal, but a few straight hours would do :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I'm counting myself lucky, only wake once a night to pee & last night I didn't wake at all. :D Went to bed at midnight, other half got up at 7 to go to work, so went for a pee then. Lay awake til 8.30 thinking I'll get up in a min & then conked out til 10.

2 weeks left today, so fingers crossed things start to happen soon. Reading Cbyrd's posts make me tired. Had loads of plans for housework today & then my sister in laws invited me for lunch cos I'm now a lady of leisure. Only back in the door, so really must start doing a few bits if I can muster up the energy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I can give birth vaginally, if I go naturally, but I can't be induced. I do remember reading about it months ago when I got pregnant initially and it was to the contractions being too vigorous with the oxytocin and rupturing the scar. But it must differ from hospital to hospital, because I'm pretty sure January was induced on her second and she had a section on her first (hope it's okay to mention that January?). He was quite adamant about it though.

I have to say I'm not so disappointed not to be induced again. Out of all the three options (go into labour naturally, induction, c-section) I would prefer to go into labour naturally and give birth vaginally, but I hated the induction the last time, so if I miss out on that I won't be altogether heartbroken ;)

I wasn't induced on my second, just waters broken by doc but that's it. Definitely wouldn't induce after c section in case of scar rupture. They wouldn't even talk about it last night when i was in slow labour, just had to go it alone, btw baby ellen was born at 3.23am after a very short drug free labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thanks Hannible :) all went mostly ok.. On the 1st blood test the nurse ruptured my vein & blood pured out :( the other 2 were ok though! Get the results at my scan tomorrow :)
    That seems a bit of an over reaction from the Doc?! Are you ok? I never realised that you couldn't be induced after a C-Section! Are you ready for next week just encase they bring you in?

Wmpd33 good luck in your scan tomorrow! You gonna find out the sex?

Have they told you how far they'll let you go? Or is it a case of we'll keep an eye on baby and placenta and deliver you as soon as they start causing probs?

And I hear ya about the peeing...I would give anything to get at least 4 hours uninterrupted sleep, a full night would of course be terrifically ideal, but a few straight hours would do :p

Scan went well today, the baby measures at exactly 5 pounds, in the words of my doc 'small, but not weenchy'. The placenta looks good too. The endocrinologist was V happy with my blood sugar control at the last diabetes clinic, so my obstetrician has told me now that I have a decent chance of getting to full term, and going into labour normally. She said the only reason now they'd bring me in really early is if my BP gets scary.

That said, she is going on holidays on the 5th of November (due date is the 8th) and she said she'll be delivering me before then, so basically, the baby has potentially 4 weeks left to turn head down. Go baby! Go baby!

Scan went well today, the baby measures at exactly 5 pounds, in the words of my doc 'small, but not weenchy'. The placenta looks good too. The endocrinologist was V happy with my blood sugar control at the last diabetes clinic, so my obstetrician has told me now that I have a decent chance of getting to full term, and going into labour normally. She said the only reason now they'd bring me in really early is if my BP gets scary.

That said, she is going on holidays on the 5th of November (due date is the 8th) and she said she'll be delivering me before then, so basically, the baby has potentially 4 weeks left to turn head down. Go baby! Go baby!

Great news Foxinsocks! You must be over the moon :) I hope baby goes head down before the 4 weeks for ya! I have my fingers crossed! 5pm already is a good weight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Tigeress wrote: »

I already know its a boy ( I have a 1yr old girl). I had a lovely 12 week / 22 week scan 2 weeks ago.

Bit of a debachle about my dates. Basically I got a 12 week reduction in being pregnant!

This scan is just to see if the placenta has moved upwards and to see how much he has grown in 2 weeks and use that to gauge a proper EDD.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Tigeress wrote: »

I already know its a boy ( I have a 1yr old girl). I had a lovely 12 week / 22 week scan 2 weeks ago.

Bit of a debachle about my dates. Basically I got a 12 week reduction in being pregnant!

This scan is just to see if the placenta has moved upwards and to see how much he has grown in 2 weeks and use that to gauge a proper EDD.

Ooh a little boy :) I'm dying to know what we're having and at 28+3 I hope we find out in tomorrows scan! Are you over the shock yourself yet? I hope they give you an EDD for sure tomorrow! Mine is Xmas Day but they maybe changing it as the measurements are showing sooner so in a way I'm hoping it's sooner in one way cause I'll get to meet them sooner but at the same time I love saying we're due Xmas Day :)
    Best of luck tomorrow though! Enjoy seeing your little boy again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

January wrote: »
    btw baby ellen was born at 3.23am after a very short drug free labour!

Congrats on your new baby :) I cant wait to see a pic. Hope you are both doing well! ♥ Ellen is a lovely name. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

January massive congratulations on your pregnancy! were you on here anon or did you keep it private?
    I thought I'd read it wrong when I seen your fb update! Hope the labour went well and that little Ellen is doing well.
    What do your 2 girls think of their new little sister?

Wmpd33 - I feel for you having to try entertain a little one while waiting for your appointment.
    Do you have the same experience with my in Lukes where you're left waiting 2 hours + for your appointment? I hope not!

Tigeress, so exciting finding out the sex tomorrow! I hope the scan goes well :)

Foxinsocks so exciting that you will get to meet baby in 4 weeks :) Fingers crossed baba will get the hint & turn well before then.

Hannibal that doctor certainly seems to be taking the bp very serious :eek: how far are you gone?

Ouch on the burst vein Tigress! Hope your arm is ok today and the scan and results go okay. You're having a busy time of it! :D Yeah, I'm already to go. I've had my bag packed the past few weeks, just in case ;)

Brilliant news Fox!

I'm 36 weeks and 5 days Caprilicious :D I normally wouldn't be so exact with my days, but this is officially the longest I have ever been pregnant so I'm well chuffed :D It all sounds a bit mad to me, maybe he's just erring on the side of caution, but I don't know why a bp reading of 130/80 would send him into a flap. I wouldn't mind, I've never been so calm and relaxed :D

How far are you Caprlicious?

Thanks Hannable :) my arm is grand today! Mad bruised though.. Scan went well today, said baby is perfect and weighing about 3.5lb already! Doc wasn't that nice to be honest :( felt really upset leaving as he wouldnt even look for the gender and only let us see baba for a second! He was quite rude :( after queuing for over 2 hours I was very disappointed.. At least we know our baby is perfect (only found that out cause I asked!) back on the GP in 2 weeks & Hospital in 4.
    Meeting up with my 2 BF's tomorrow so looking forward to that and having a moan lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Tigeress I'm so disappointed for you that you didn't get to find out the gender, though I'm sure you are relieved that everything is ok with babs.

Do you think you will go private to find out the gender or are you just going to be suprised on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

So they offered to induce me on sat morning... i turned them down.. i told them it was my last day at work :eek: :D:D said i'd wait til 14 days over thank you very much.. i just got looked at :pac: they were surprised i was willing to wait but i'd rather give baba every chance to show up on his own than force him out .. plus i'm knackered and i'm looking forward to a lazy weekend before all hell breaks loose. .

Masssive congratulations January and welcome baby Ellen. . i got such a shock when i read the fb post.. thought i'd lost it :D well done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Aw Tigeress I feel so disappointed for you :( I'd definitely second going for a private scan if the funds allow.
    It is absolutely worth it & so different to the crappy waiting half the day in the hospital only to be rushed out.
    I went to the one in Blackrock & it was brill, she spent a good 20 mins or so scanning so we could have a really good look at baby & to find out the sex :)

Hannibal I'm only coming up on the 12 week mark this Saturday, feels like I'm miles behind you!
    I'd love to be a bit further on, wishing away the pregnancy already!
    That's great that you're so chilled about it, hopefully that calm will rub off on your doctor :D

Cbyrd I can't believe you're STILL working!! you're officially making me feel like the laziest sloth ever, I haven't a bean of energy this weather and there's you flying around cooking, cleaning & working!
    I see your point though about wanting to have a chilled weekend to yourself before baba arrives. Hopefully baba will take note & let you have your much earned rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I thought you legally had to go on maternity leave 2 wks prior to due date. Is this not the case??

• Advertisement

Only if you're claiming maternity benefit . . which i'm not so it's up to me when i finish and when i go back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Ouch on the burst vein Tigress! Hope your arm is ok today and the scan and results go okay. You're having a busy time of it! :D Yeah, I'm already to go. I've had my bag packed the past few weeks, just in case ;)

Brilliant news Fox!

I'm 36 weeks and 5 days Caprilicious :D I normally wouldn't be so exact with my days, but this is officially the longest I have ever been pregnant so I'm well chuffed :D It all sounds a bit mad to me, maybe he's just erring on the side of caution, but I don't know why a bp reading of 130/80 would send him into a flap. I wouldn't mind, I've never been so calm and relaxed :D

How far are you Caprlicious?
    I have no idea why your doctor is freaking out over that BP reading! I'm only a week behind you and my readings are higher than that but I've not been called in for any checks etc. Mad altogether.

I'm now officially at the "I've had enough" point of this pregnancy. Dying to be able to go out for a long walk with the pram & toddler in tow. I had to crack open the sanitary towels last night as baby was playing trampoline with my bladder & everytime they pushed down I had a little leak.

Thanks MS & Cap :) we're kinda debating on the private scan at the mo.. There is a place in Swords that does 3D scans for €140 so we're thinking about that too.. To be honest I doubt we will in the end as we don't wanna spend money where we don't have too if that makes sense?! We have another scan in 4 weeks so maybe we'll find out then & if not I think we won't ask again! The scan machines the have in Portlaoise are really old and very fuzzy! I can never make out what we're looking at on them lol..

Cybrd I really hope you get your week or 2's rest when you finish work this week :) I'd love to have your energy! And restraint! If they offered me induction at 40 weeks I'd jump :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm so tired and I have so much to do. Also baby kicks a lot in the middle of the night, he seems to kick my bladder or something.

Hoping lack of sleep is a passing fad...wishful thinking I reckon!

I have a few questions if that's ok ladies?
    1st is how many maternity pads should I buy? Gonna get them today & it seems to varey online as how many to get! Although I don't mind getting too many I don't wanna end up with not enough & as I'm due around Xmas I don't wanna have to trek out in the snow :O

2nd is when I was with my GP 3 weeks ago he measured me 2 weeks longer than my dates.. When I said it to the Doc yest he just shrugged and wouldn't do any measurements! He gave me 2 scans of the top of our baba's head and both read 31w2d?! I'm 28+4 today.. I'm a little confused & I doubt even if I asked him yest he would have answered the Q,. Still a little annoyed that he was so rude!
    I'm back in 4 weeks & gonna say I don't wanna go into him if he's there as I'd be likely to loose it with him lol so hopefully they'll be able to answer me then but just wondering if anyone has had this or even heard of it?! Thanks :)

1st is how many maternity pads should I buy? Gonna get them today & it seems to varey online as how many to get! Although I don't mind getting too many I don't wanna end up with not enough & as I'm due around Xmas I don't wanna have to trek out in the snow :O

2nd is when I was with my GP 3 weeks ago he measured me 2 weeks longer than my dates.. When I said it to the Doc yest he just shrugged and wouldn't do any measurements! He gave me 2 scans of the top of our baba's head and both read 31w2d?! I'm 28+4 today.. I'm a little confused & I doubt even if I asked him yest he would have answered the Q,. Still a little annoyed that he was so rude!
    I'm back in 4 weeks & gonna say I don't wanna go into him if he's there as I'd be likely to loose it with him lol so hopefully they'll be able to answer me then but just wondering if anyone has had this or even heard of it?! Thanks :)

Sorry ladies my post seems to have triple posted! I don't even know how that happened! Oops..

Firstly... i've bought 2 packs of the green hospital pads to do me a few days.. they're nice and soft on the injured lady area too.. then i'll either shop online or send my husband out for them..:D they're so impressed with you at that stage they don't mind shopping for that stuff :D for the first day or 2 you'll probably use 2 pads per change as they don't stick and if your bleeding kinda heavy it just gives you peace of mind.. i used to put 2 on and the bottom one usually didn't get soiled so i'd put it on top and a fresh one on the bottom. . does that make sense?? plus there's 10 per pack. 4 packs of them would be plenty and then you could switch to a heavy flow pad with wings.. but make sure they're soft ones if you have stitches. .. ;)

I hate doctors i much prefer the midwife at least they tell you what they're doing and give you the info.. measurement's can be off.. the baby might have a big growth and then slow down.. i only had my first measurement done at 36 weeks.. they can be off slightly but if you're concerned ask the midwife..it can be very frustrating when they don't give you the information.. you feel like you're being fobbed off as 'just the pregnant woman' :rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement

Hannibal I'm only coming up on the 12 week mark this Saturday, feels like I'm miles behind you!
    I'd love to be a bit further on, wishing away the pregnancy already!
    That's great that you're so chilled about it, hopefully that calm will rub off on your doctor :D

Aww yay Caprilicious does that mean you're telling everyone this weekend? How exciting!!! Ah don't go wishing it away, every step is so amazing...have you got any of the pregnancy apps? I love getting my up date everyweek and see what changes are going on :D

Yeah, I have my GP visit this morning now, my poor boss is in a panic in case I won't make it in for my last week next week, he's given me taxi far too and from the surgery, so that should help keep me BP low lol
    Eoineo wrote: »
    I have no idea why your doctor is freaking out over that BP reading! I'm only a week behind you and my readings are higher than that but I've not been called in for any checks etc. Mad altogether.

I'm now officially at the "I've had enough" point of this pregnancy. Dying to be able to go out for a long walk with the pram & toddler in tow. I had to crack open the sanitary towels last night as baby was playing trampoline with my bladder & everytime they pushed down I had a little leak.

I don't know why either Eoineo...I had pre-eclampsia on my first (sorry for going on about it :D ) but I guess that's why they're so nervous, I wouldn't mind, on my first my BP was way worse, and the meds had to be increased at week 30 and still they didn't seem too bothered. I was never sent on any BP series or anything. This time my BP isn't even high and they're in a flap about it. :rolleyes:

And yes, I'm about done with the pregnancy now. I'm sick of talking about it, I'm sick of waddling like a duck, I'm sick of people asking how far along I am, is it a girl, is it a boy, have I got any names, the bladder bashing, the night time peeing...I'm about ready to have this baby NOW :D

About the maternity pads ladies...the green ones are the best, but they have them in the hospital too, so whilst I wouldn't leave it to the hospital to provide them, there is a back up plan if you can't get them.

Advertisement