Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Hannibal I hope you get the naturally birth you want, as much as I am dreading labour a section scares me more :o

Quinn5 / Ivy I am up in the air about the flu jab too, I usually get a cold/flu around Christmas time but I think I'm strong enough to fight it myself, I don't know what to do for the best?!

Yay Cap, great to hear you got to hear a lovely strong heartbeat, it's so reassuring :)

Neyite, great to hear you only have 2 weeks until you get to see babs, I hope it helps put your mind at ease so you can enjoy being pregnant, easier said than done I know :)

Gosh Tigeress what an eventful weekend you had, I can almost feel your pain through your post, I hope you're keeping your feet up and resting ;)
    Is it too early to start worrying about the position of the baby? Surely 10 weeks is plenty of time for babs to turn the right way around or at least I would have thought so, but they are the experts I suppose :)

I'm still waiting for a letter for my appointment with my midwife, before I changed onto the Domino Scheme I was due to see my consultant on 7th Nov but I haven't had a letter yet to say when I am next to see my midwife, I'm getting a bit anxious now as it's been over a week since I changed over and still no new appointment. I'm afraid of falling through the crack by changing over. I might leave it a day or two and give them a ring, I don't want to appear too impatient though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

I was looking up labour sites the other night freudiangirl and early signs of labour and apparently shivering was one sign! Though it is pretty cold at the mo, so don't go on what I say :D

hmm hope so ............ will ask tomorrow at my check up........ I hope you are right...............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Tigeress you poor thing :eek: that sounds really painful :( I hope you're getting plenty of rest. Were they able to get you painkillers of any sort?

Ms2011 Id definitely give a call just to make 100% they didn't lose any of your paperwork with the switch from consultant to Domino scheme.
    Fingers crossed they'll keep your appointment to around the same date, then you'll only have a few weeks before your scan :)

Neyite fingers crossed for you also with the hospital, that's fantastic that they will see you at 12 weeks for a scan!
    I think the fancy scanners are only really necessary for early pregnancy when they might need to zoom in a lot or internally scan.
    The one's I was scanned with in the hospital last time were pretty old but perfectly effective :)
    Hopefully the letter to the endocrinologist will mean more frequent appointments for you too.

If anyone is tempted with the dopplers, mine finally arrived today!
    I found it brill last time but I'm not so sure now. I played around with it for a good 10 minutes before I could hear anything, at that it was only for a few seconds and wasn't very loud.

When I tried later when my husband came home, I couldn't find the heartbeat at all.

If it wasn't for the fact I had the doppler scan in the GP's office yesterday, I know I would definitely be very stressed right now!

On my last pregnancy, I had placenta previa which is where the placenta is to the front instead of the back, at at times it took a while for the GP to find the heartbeat. I keep telling myself it might be something like that causing me not to be able to find the heart beat readily as I did with the previous doppler.

Freudian girl, hopefully the shivers are a sign that labour will follow soon after :)

Hannibal, hopefully you'll start to get more answers at your next appointment.
    It can be very frustrating not getting a straight answer when it comes to labour, but I think there definitely is so much that they just don't know until it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

@Freudian girl, yeah I did get shivers while in labour last time but only when things really too off and I couldnt talk during the contractions. But its def a sign!!

I am in agony with my hips,I was in work 9 hrs today and by half way through I was fit for the hospital. Taking 3 paracetamol every 4 hrs is not working, calling the doc tomorrow, see if I can get a brace. Had to come home and look at the little picture of the scan I have to remind myself why I'M going through this all over again.

Oh and piles.......

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

never used the doppler was going to buy one on my 1st preg but never bothered...as im v.nervous this preg im thinking i mite but then again if i didnt find a hb id be scaling the walls so not sure i can cope with that worry lol, they are v.reasonable in price.

today i felt a bit naucious when driving and when i was in my mother & toddler group, slight pain in my side 2nite off to the doc 2mrw for my apt...will have to bring my pee with me as i will have dd with me so can leave her with the doc while i got pee :)

hannibal- no wonder ur shivering its feckin freezing today :cool: i lit the fire at 3 which is early for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I just slept for 6&1/2 hrs straight!! Whoop whoop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

I've got 9 weeks & 3 days left... can't believe I'm down to single figures already :eek::eek: Well that's if himself puts in an appearance on time!

Poor Tigress, i can't believe that the baby could kick that hard that you end up physically bruised, I'll stop complaining about the kicking i'm getting now! I hope you're doing Ok, and everyone else as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thanks ladies, I'm feeling a little better now :) had another check-up today! Everything is perfect with baby, said they're the right size for my height (I'm 5,9) I was told they'll be big though! (just encase you're wondering, there is only 1 I just hate saying it) couldn't tell the sex again :( baby is breech and they're legs are in my pelvis so the Doc couldn't manover the scanner to see.. Being a little fecker lol! Guess it's just gonna be a surprise :)
    I took a bath last night to try ease the pains, I won't be doing that again! Way to hard to get back out with this giant bump lol!

Neyite, glad to hear that they're looking into moving your scan forward! I hope they do! That's awesome that your Doc can do a scan at 12 weeks :) didnt know they could do that! 2 weeks will fly :)

Hannibal that's so crazy that they won't tell you anything! I'd be loosing it :) hopefully your baba won't wait too long to make their grand entrance :) same for Fraudulentgirl!

MS. You should call the nurses about your scan! I wouldn't leave it :)

DL can I have some of whatever you are taking to get such a goodnights sleep?!

Cap, I was gonna get a Dopler but I knew I'd panic everytime I couldn't find the HB so we left it :) hope it works out for you though!

Cottontail wrote: »
    I've got 9 weeks & 3 days left... can't believe I'm down to single figures already :eek::eek: Well that's if himself puts in an appearance on time!

Poor Tigress, i can't believe that the baby could kick that hard that you end up physically bruised, I'll stop complaining about the kicking i'm getting now! I hope you're doing Ok, and everyone else as well.

Thanks Cottontail :) I've 9w & 4d left :) it's very exciting!
    I'm still very sore and baby doesn't seem to wanna stop kicking the the most painful areas! Hope you're doing good :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'm a little excited...I've been getting braxton hicks all day...now I'm sure towards the end you get days like this....but at least it's something new and I get to practice my breathing! I am sooooooo gonna push this baby out! :D

• Advertisement

Tigeress wrote: »
    Everything is perfect with baby,

Hannibal that's so crazy that they won't tell you anything! I'd be loosing it :) hopefully your baba won't wait too long to make their grand entrance :) same for Fraudulentgirl!

Thats great to hear tigeress

Me too tigeress, roll on arrival of our little one. I am getting a bit fed up by now.
    Why the name change for me by the way?

I'm a little excited...I've been getting braxton hicks all day...now I'm sure towards the end you get days like this....but at least it's something new and I get to practice my breathing! I am sooooooo gonna push this baby out! :D

me too....... but I don't want to get my hopes up...........
    fingers crossed baby is on way..............

go baby go!

Everything is perfect with baby,

Thats great to hear tigeress

Me too tigeress, roll on arrival of our little one. I am getting a bit fed up by now.
    Why the name change for me by the way?

My appologies :) I spelled your name wrong is all.. I'm dreadful with that :o is this your 1st baba?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Had the clinic yesterday, went okay. The midwife was very pleased with my glucose levels although the doctor was less encouraging - basically he didn't believe my scores or my reports of what I've been eating :confused: He also just laughed at me when I asked him for advice on the haemorrhoids and said the only cure is to give birth. He also said I clearly wasn't eating enough fibre and was constipated when my notes clearly show that I've had a virus and runs for the best part of 2 weeks, so if anything the opposite is the problem :mad:.

On the positive side, although my blood pressure was just about hitting the upper limit (140/82) he didn't make a fuss about that at all. No wonder it was up though, I had the toddler with me who of course got more and more stressed the longer we were there, so I was stressed too by the time they took my bp. Think husband will have to take the morning off next time - I can't get anyone to mind him on Tuesdays. Other good news, baby seems to be sticking head-down, and I'll have a full scan next visit in 2 week's time.

Really hoping I go myself this time. My EDD is Nov 18, but I feel myself that Nov 23rd is more likely, and I went 10 days over on my first. I really didn't want to be induced at all first time round, this time I'd happily be induced any day after the 22nd, I'm just so wrecked! I'm really starting to look forward to it though (yes, labour and all!).

My appologies :) I spelled your name wrong is all.. I'm dreadful with that :o is this your 1st baba?

yeah it is.roll on excitement

Am counting down the days now... hoping twinges lead to more...... baby seems too comfy to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mrs.

Hi All,
    New to Boards-12 weeks pregnant today! :) Going for first scan tomorrow. I have a couple of queries-is it okay to eat nuts during pregnancy? Doc says fine, but I have read conflicting information. Also Doc didn't think there was need to do pelvic floor exercises when I asked-again internet suggests they are really important-any advice?

Guess Hannibal is talking to me again as it looks like baba is looking for the exit!

Cat, Its a nightmare bringing a toddler to the appointments, my little on isnt walking so I had to either strap her into the buggy or carry her, never again.

Def a disaster in the blood pressure dept.

I would pay any money not to have piles, I'm now an expert on over the counter remedys... they bloody dont work!

Anyway went to the doctor today and she sent a letter to the physio dept in the hospital, so they'll get in touch and I can go see them, for all the good that will do.

@DL Get as much sleep as possible, early nights from here on in....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congrats on your pregnancy Mrs. :) I think there are a lot of contradictions regarding what you should and should not eat. In my opinion everything in moderation!
    Some of the American websites can be very preachy about what you do/don't eat going so far as to bad the likes of sandwich meat like cooked ham which to me seems way ott!

I think with the pelvic floor exercised I only really did them towards the end of the pregnancy but not a lot either.

Cat melodeon that doctor sounds really rude :( My gp prescribed me Proctocedyl yesterday for mine & it does the trick.
    Its a one week course safe for use during pregnancy.

Oooh Hannibal, fingers crossed the braxton hicks are a good sign that things are underway!

I got the letter for my next appointment - its this Monday! so delighted :D (I'll be 14+ weeks then)

Cat - can't believe yr doc was such an arse!! So he told u he thinks ur lying basically and that u could just suffer on??! How stupid! I'd have the rage!!!

Tigeress - cannot believe how much ur baby wants to hide there sex from you!!! Hehe - I really think that baby has a mind of there own and really wants to surprise you!! A surprise will be lovely too tho :)

Neyite - delighted you getting an earlier scan! It's essential for peace of mind!

Cap - I have a Doppler too - stopped using it recently as the kicking is reassurance enough!! But it only started working for me from 12 weeks and up until about 16 it could be tricky to find! I have been told I have an anterior placenta so it may well be something like that which is causing the difficulty! Frustrating tho!!

Horrible man shouted at me at work today - he got full on aggressive fir no reason, I work in retail and there was 2 other customers in the shop - he was shouting at me while I was behind the counter and the looks of disgust they gave him when I stepped out and they could see I was pregnant!! I think he was a little taken a back too as just stormed off! Baby girl 1 - angry lunatic nil!!! :)

Mrs. Welcome :)
    For some reason I'm working on logic that it's ok to eat nuts - just not peanuts!???
    I'm mad tho... Don t know where i plucked that from!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Welcome Mrs. :)

The only things I'm not having since I got pregnant is Alcohol (goes without saying) Coleslaw, Tiramsu, Bagged salad, rare meats, soft cheeses and shellfish. Icecream from the shops machines are out too as is honey apparently. I'm not a fan of milk, so I try to up the calcium by drinking a milky hot chocolate, youghurts, and regular cheeses, and drinking about 2 more pints of water per day. I have been snacking on fruit - have a 'fruit drawer 'at work. I am a lot more careful washing veg - its the soil that contains the germs.

I have always had good food prep practices - good training in commercial kitchens. Always keep raw meat separate from cooked meats or veg, use different boards and knives if chopping raw meat then veg - a rinse under the tap is no good. Wash hands with soap after handling raw food.

Reheat foods until piping hot, Chill foods quickly in the fridge away from other foods if possible (I use the 'beer' shelf, much to his annoyance!) Defrost things either from frozen to hot in the microwave, or overnight in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Halfway

Hi girls,
    Had my gorgeous little girl on the 11th, she was 8lb 5oz and I spent a whole 11 minutes in the delivery room before she arrived. It was a drug free (not by choice) labour and thank god my last. She is a little angel, its her big sister who is 16 months is causing all the problems. Not coping well with the new arrival but hopefully a few weeks will make a big difference. Good luck to all of you waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Halfway wrote: »
    Hi girls,
    Had my gorgeous little girl on the 11th, she was 8lb 5oz and I spent a whole 11 minutes in the delivery room before she arrived. It was a drug free (not by choice) labour and thank god my last. She is a little angel, its her big sister who is 16 months is causing all the problems. Not coping well with the new arrival but hopefully a few weeks will make a big difference. Good luck to all of you waiting.

Congratulations, that's great news! My little man will be 23 months or so when his little brother arrives, I'm really wondering how he will take to it as well, he's so used to having our full attention all the time. Glad all went well with your birth, what did you call your new baba?

Hi girls,

Massive congratulations Halfway :) hope the labour wasn't too bad although the end was very quick :) best of luck to you & your new bundle of joy xxx

Hi girls,
    C

Congratulations. In January I'll be in the same boat, 16 months between 2 kids. Everyone keeps telling me I'll spit the child out!, to be careful and get to the hospital ASAP.

Also when you have more time on you hands (if you ever do), can you tell us how the big sister reacted... for-warned and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

am very sore in the pelvic area today for some reason. I have been walking the dog and then to the shop and I dont think I will be doing anything else for the rest of the day. It hurts even to climb the stairs :( Anyone else have this from around wk 36? 3 more weeks to go until due date...:(

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Halfway Congratulations!!!!

I got a call from the maternity endo clinic about an appointment. Got one for next Wed. I explained that one twin stopped growing on the private scan and also that the GP said my Prolactin was really high and she was shocked that I didnt go into the Early Pregancy Unit, so I told her I had no spotting/bleed, or pains, so didnt know until the scan, and rang the maternity unit who told me to ring the GP who told me not to get my hopes up about getting scanned earlier than 16 weeks.

The Endo secretary was not impressed that I have been fobbed off - she told me that the EPU was there for this very reason and I could walk in anytime to get examined and scanned if there were issues or concerns.

She said that I need to insist on getting the treatment I deserve- that I should be more forceful. She said that she would discuss it with the Professor that I am due to see on Wed, and told me I would get scanned then too. \0/ I like her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Neyite wrote: »
    Halfway Congratulations!!!!

I got a call from the maternity endo clinic about an appointment. Got one for next Wed. I explained that one twin stopped growing on the private scan and also that the GP said my Prolactin was really high and she was shocked that I didnt go into the Early Pregancy Unit, so I told her I had no spotting/bleed, or pains, so didnt know until the scan, and rang the maternity unit who told me to ring the GP who told me not to get my hopes up about getting scanned earlier than 16 weeks.

The Endo secretary was not impressed that I have been fobbed off - she told me that the EPU was there for this very reason and I could walk in anytime to get examined and scanned if there were issues or concerns.

She said that I need to insist on getting the treatment I deserve- that I should be more forceful. She said that she would discuss it with the Professor that I am due to see on Wed, and told me I would get scanned then too. \0/ I like her :D

Brilliant news, roll on next Wednesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Neyite wrote: »
    The only things I'm not having since I got pregnant is Alcohol (goes without saying) Coleslaw, Tiramsu, Bagged salad, rare meats, soft cheeses and shellfish. Icecream from the shops machines are out too as is honey apparently.

:eek::eek::eek: I think I violated pretty much every rule going by your list, Neyite (apart from the ice cream, tiramisu and the soft cheeses (actually, I'm lying, had some goat's cheese too - but made sure it was made from pasteurized milk...). I always thought shellfish was ok as long as it was cooked properly? And honey is out, really? :eek:

I think you should avoid peanuts if either you or your OH has an allergy - just as a precaution. but otherwise, they're ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

There is so much conflicting info floating around about whats good and not good for you when you are pregnant. I have given up alcohol and that's pretty much it!
    I know girls who have given up tea and coffee in their pregnancy, but no way am I going there - I need my morning coffees!!

Advertisement