Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I know! my list is redonkulus! But for the sake of a few months I wont risk it purposely, but if I happen to have something that contains coleslaw or shellfish then Im not going to get too worried about it. For instance there is honey in crunchy nut cornflakes but I still eated them.

But, some day in May I will have a table groaning with all the stuff I've denied myself. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Neyite wrote: »
    Welcome Mrs. :)

The only things I'm not having since I got pregnant is Alcohol (goes without saying) Coleslaw, Tiramsu, Bagged salad, rare meats, soft cheeses and shellfish. Icecream from the shops machines are out too as is honey apparently. I'm not a fan of milk, so I try to up the calcium by drinking a milky hot chocolate, youghurts, and regular cheeses, and drinking about 2 more pints of water per day. I have been snacking on fruit - have a 'fruit drawer 'at work. I am a lot more careful washing veg - its the soil that contains the germs.

I have always had good food prep practices - good training in commercial kitchens. Always keep raw meat separate from cooked meats or veg, use different boards and knives if chopping raw meat then veg - a rinse under the tap is no good. Wash hands with soap after handling raw food.

Reheat foods until piping hot, Chill foods quickly in the fridge away from other foods if possible (I use the 'beer' shelf, much to his annoyance!) Defrost things either from frozen to hot in the microwave, or overnight in the fridge.

Oh no I didn't know about the bagged salad, I have been eating that!! I have been careful on everything else I have eaten, have even given up coffee! Have not touched ham from the deli's and have been living on cheese and tomato sambos which I am sick off!! But due in a week so I am going to be a pig after the baby's born and eat everything!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

galah wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: I think I violated pretty much every rule going by your list, Neyite (apart from the ice cream, tiramisu and the soft cheeses (actually, I'm lying, had some goat's cheese too - but made sure it was made from pasteurized milk...). I always thought shellfish was ok as long as it was cooked properly? And honey is out, really? :eek:

I think you should avoid peanuts if either you or your OH has an allergy - just as a precaution. but otherwise, they're ok.

I think the honey is only for the babies... infant botulism can be fatal... I never denied myself any food during pregnancy... everything in moderation and once it's prepared properly it should be fine... I couldn't deny myself prawns... I love them too much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it also varies from country to country it seems - most German websites I just checked say honey is grand (or at least didnt mention that honey would be a problem - it is for infants, as January pointed out while I typed this ;-)), all my French friends say that a glass of wine every now and again is fine after checking with their doctors, the Germans again don't mention bagged salad but would warn you off raw beansprouts (after the recent deaths over there), I read somewhere that medium rare steak is ok as long as the outside is cooked - the list is endless....:confused:

wouldn't purposely put myself at risk, either - but just as neyite says, I also wouldn't worry too much about stuff after the fact...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gtul

what is so dangerous about tiramisu?? am totally clueless, i'm just eating what i crave, woops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

gtul wrote: »
    what is so dangerous about tiramisu?? am totally clueless, i'm just eating what i crave, woops

It's made with raw egg which can be quite dangerous if you get food poisioning but then again how often have you actually had food poisoning?!

I've stopped eating coleslaw & alcohol (but I don't really drink anyways) soft cheeses & red bull.. Which I really miss to be honest lol!

Ladies, I'm off to the Doc again in the morning :( I'm having such a rough time at the mo... Sorry for the moan! I think I might be getting Braxton Hicks but not 100% as I've never had them before :o really sharp pains accross my bump on and off and I though it was hard before but it's a rock now! As I'm only outta the hospital with something similar I'm not gonna go back up.. See what the GP says in the morn! Unless it's maybe streching pains?! Who knows.. Baby is moving so I know they're alright even if I'm not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

hey all, i havent really given up anything as such. i dont drink or smoke anyway. ive cut down on my tea and chocolate and sweets consumption but havnt cut them out and tried to up my fruit and veg.

so im in my third trimester :D 28 weeks tomorrow. so excited. had doc appt today and all is good, bp is good and no swelling. baby jumping around everytime he tried to do his count. also my baby is lying from side to side (from my hip to my other hip, kind of!) so hes hoping it moves around in the next few weeks too. i hope so too but baby has always hung out down there. its where it likes!!:rolleyes:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I thought it was made with mascarpone cheese, but it might be raw egg in it too. Same for fruit mousses made with raw egg. And cheesecake is out too. :(

I think the bagged salad is fine if you wash it carefully again.

I think that once I am about halfway through my pregnancy, I will be eating some of the forbidden - but will be making sure its well washed and well cooked.

I think your cravings tell you what your body needs, so go with them. My sis craved ice and munched her way through a deep freeze full of the stuff on each of her pregnancies. That one is indicative of low iron, surprisingly, but she was prone to anemia anyway in her teens so it was probably not a big surprise.

I havent had any cravings - is it like "mmm, I'd really love X" or is it "He is getting locked out of the house unless he brings me home some X, and I mean that" The only thing I craved in my life was nicotine when I used to try to quit years ago, is it as bad as that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congratulations Halfway! That's a fine size baby :) brill to have such a fast labour (please send those fast labour vibes my way when the time comes :D:D )
    I hope her big sister takes to her soon. It must be such an upheaval for them when they're used to being number one at home.
    I can only imagine the fun we'll have when my little girl (who will then be 26 months) has a little brother or sister to torment love :D

Neyite I'm absolutely delighted that they're starting to really look after you now in the hospital that's brill :)

I so plan to have a similarly heaving table after I have baba, first thing on the table is a bottle (or 6 ;) ) of west coast cooler *drool*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've only given up alcohol. Everything else, I'm just being careful, fully cooking meat/fish/shellfish and washing veg well.

I have cut down on caffeine but that's more to stop me having to pee more than I have to already!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Neyite wrote: »
    I thought it was made with mascarpone cheese, but it might be raw egg in it too. Same for fruit mousses made with raw egg. And cheesecake is out too. :(

Mascarpone cheese is fine to eat. It's only mould ripened soft cheeses like brie and camembert that you are supposed to avoid. So stuff like boursin, cream cheese etc are ok. And cheesecake should be ok too

Whats wrong with coleslaw? I read up a good bit about what to avoid and I never seen coleslaw on any list. I've eaten it a good few times since being pregnant

It really is ridiculous the amount of stuff we are supposed to avoid :eek:

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Mascarpone cheese is fine to eat. It's only mould ripened soft cheeses like brie and camembert that you are supposed to avoid. So stuff like boursin, cream cheese etc are ok. And cheesecake should be ok too

Whats wrong with coleslaw? I read up a good bit about what to avoid and I never seen coleslaw on any list. I've eaten it a good few times since being pregnant

It really is ridiculous the amount of stuff we are supposed to avoid :eek:

I really think it depends on where you look. Some sites/literature are nazi-like in their restrictions, others are very relaxed. I think everything in moderation is a good rule to live by, pregnant or not! (maybe I'm too relaxed!)

Dunno. It was my GP that banned the Coleslaw, Tiramsu and bagged salad.

Like you say Ivy, the list could be endless depending on where you look. I will avoid what I was told to, (for now) but I would be like you once I exit the first trimester - everything in moderation, well washed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's the mayo in coleslaw, especially if it's made from unpasturized eggs... hellmans is ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gtul

never realised i should have been avoiding all those things, was told to avoid paté alright which i used to eat by the bucket load on toast, yum yum. does anyone intend breastfeeding? i did with my first child and was told to avoid a load of foods also such as chocolate, cabbage, spicy foods. just as bad as being pregnant

never realised i should have been avoiding all those things, was told to avoid paté alright which i used to eat by the bucket load on toast, yum yum. does anyone intend breastfeeding? i did with my first child and was told to avoid a load of foods also such as chocolate, cabbage, spicy foods. just as bad as being pregnant

I'm going to breastfeed if I'm able to. The difference with those things you have to avoid while breastfeeding is more to do with their strong taste or stimulating effects which can be disagreeable for the baby, and not so much for the danger thing. (If I understand correctly!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Testing

Yay I can post...thought I posted earlier but it hasn't come up. Baby Simon arrived yesterday morning at 10.30am weighing 7lbs 1oz by emergency section would you all believe. Spontaneous labour, spontaneous water breaking made it to the labour ward where baby went into distress and that was it lol

He's a gorgeous wee boy lol

Testing

Yay I can post...thought I posted earlier but it hasn't come up. Baby Simon arrived yesterday morning at 10.30am weighing 7lbs 1oz by emergency section would you all believe. Spontaneous labour, spontaneous water breaking made it to the labour ward where baby went into distress and that was it lol

OMG Hannible that's amazing! Massive Congrats hun!!! Fine weight & a lovely name :) that sounds as if you had one he'll of a day! Hope you & Simon are doing well x x x

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Huge Congrats Hannibal!!!
    YAY! Welcome baby Simon :D

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Testing

Congrats!!! I knew you were a few days behind me and I am due on Thursday!! Lovely name!! I'd say you are thrilled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Testing

Well done Hannibal... :D gorgeous name... can't wait to read the birth story :D now let the fun begin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Congrats, well done, amazing how it all panns out. You'd think you're home and dry when you go into labour and your waters break.

Great name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Congratulations Hannibal! So pleased for you - can't believe you have your little man, you're only a couple of weeks ahead of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Huge congrats Hannibal!! Hope you and Simon are over the trauma and snuggling up and relaxing together!!!! What a lovely name and a really good weight! Yeah!!!

Congratulations Hannibal!!!! I'm absolutely delighted for you!
    Welcome to the world Simon :)

Hope you're recovering well.

congratulations Hannibal!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

congrats hannibal :),
    girls got my letter for the hosp, when do u think my 1st apt would be? it was 17wks on dd in portlaoise, but i was 12 wks goin to the docs at that time so not sure now?...ive no patience, defo feeling the symptoms this time round thank god!, hope every1 is well

Play Bunny wrote: »
    congrats hannibal :),
    girls got my letter for the hosp, when do u think my 1st apt would be? it was 17wks on dd in portlaoise, but i was 12 wks goin to the docs at that time so not sure now?...ive no patience, defo feeling the symptoms this time round thank god!, hope every1 is well

If you go to your GP and request a referral for the early pregnancy unit then you should get seen at 8 weeks.

There shouldn't be any issue getting the referral due to your previous loss.
    I had my first appt at 6 weeks, another at 8 weeks (scans in the EPU) and my booking appointment with the hospital (one where they do your bloods etc) is 14 weeks.
    You definitely get seen earlier once you get the referral.

The joys of having my appetite (almost completely) back, I went out for lunch & had THE NICEST thai red curry today & it tasted amazing.
    I've been so sick after eating food lately its so lovely to enjoy it again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

congrats Hannibal :)
    Hows everyone today?
    The last 2 days I am literally just waddling around, legs apart and the soreness in my pelvis /pubic bone area is coming and going. From reading everything I could find online, I think that it is either pain associated with the pelvic joints loosening up, or my baby has dropped into position -or both even. Either way I am not worried that it is anything 'abnormal' anymore.

I still have 3 weeks to go though, so I hope the soreness goes away before that!

Advertisement