Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

galah wrote: »
    Thanks you guys - I'm ok, feeling much better today anyway. More appointments this week, they're at least keeping an eye on me. 36 weeks tomorrow...

woke up with an unholy crampy pain in my right side last night though - felt almost like nasty period pain - but went away, and nothing since. Must be some pratice contractions or Braxton Hicks...wohooo. :rolleyes:

Re names: Same here - struggling to find nice boy's names (with the added fun that the German branch of our family must be able to pronounce/spell them- that rules out a lot of the nice Irish names...;-() I'm threatening to call baba 'ganainm' if we can't decide (convinced we're having a boy, even though I don't know for sure).

That's an issue for us too. I'd love my baby to have an Irish name, but as we will be living in France, I have to consider pronounciation. Don't want to give him to many problems to deal with early on! Or I will have to go with the (IMO) horrible americanised phonetic spelling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Hi gave birth to a wonderful baby boy last night v quick labour bloody show at 2:15 am then our little one born at 3:50am. So v efficient no pain relief used.I am proud as punch . Wonderful bundle of joy he weighed 6 pounds 11.5 ounces

Hi gave birth to a wonderful baby boy last night v quick labour bloody show at 2:15 am then our little one born at 3:50am. So v efficient no pain relief used.I am proud as punch . Wonderful bundle of joy he weighed 6 pounds 11.5 ounces

Congrats, that was very quick! And he is a lovely size!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Massive Congrats missus :D delighted it all went so well for you x what have you called him? Fine weight :) hope you & your little bundle are doing well today !

Galah when do you get the results? Hope everything is ok! Not too long left for ya now :) maybe the pains are a sign for everything starting :)

• Advertisement

For anyone in Dublin I hope you haven't been too badly affected by the awful floods! Hope everyone is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Congrats Freudiangirl!!! and very quick labour - lucky you! ;-)

Ivy - bloody foreigners :D then again, baby might even struggle with an Irish name in Ireland - can't win...

Tigeress - getting results tomorrow. I'd say I'll be grand though (I hope, anyway). Putting the cramps down to food for now, as well. It's easier on my mind that way ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Congratulations! Quick labour indeed! And lovely size :D

I'll have my fingers crossed for you Galah! Let us know what they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gtul

Congrats freudiangirl well done!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Congratulations Freudiangirl. .. welcome to the world baby boy . . .such a quick labour :eek: nice weight too.. any names yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

January wrote: »
    And the first dirty nappy is a real pleasure to change... meconium... lovely sticky stuff that, it's great trying to get it off with cotton balls and water!

i was ready for this one and i put vaseline on him in the delivery room. . . made the first 2nd 3rd poo's easier to clean off :D he was a meconium baby and i didn't think there'd be any left.. i was wrong ... he had lots. . .:rolleyes:

Prob a stupid question but how come ya can't use wipes from the start?

Tigeress wrote: »
    Prob a stupid question but how come ya can't use wipes from the start?

You can if you want, but the hospital don't recommend it and I got some dirty looks when I whipped out the wipes in the ward this time, the nurse came over with some cotton balls and asked if I wanted to use them instead... I just politely told her that I found wipes much easier and they were sensitive, so unlikely to harm babies skin. Good tip about the vaseline cbyrd! Wish you'd have shared it three weeks ago :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Congrats, what a really fast labour, I thought things might be afoot when you said you were 'stopped in your tracks' with a pain a while ago. Had to search back to see if it was you.

Fine weight too.

Hope the hospital staff managed to get you to a bed in time!

@Cybrd, I'm going to remember that expert tip about the vaseline, I couldnt believe how hard that stuff is to get off a new baby's bum. I nearly gave up on the cotton wool and water. There was still a mustard shadow on her bum after all the scrubbing I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

congrats Freudiangirl :) What a fast labour! I can't recall whether this is your first or not?

Today I have been alternating between the feelings of
    ''3 more long weeks to wait -come on baby hurry up and arrive''
    and
    ''Oh God, 37 weeks already - slow the hell down, I'm not ready!''

I'm going to buy some vaseline tomorrow to put into my labour bag lol! I heard it was bad bit didn't realise the 1st poops were that bad!

How long do you usually use the cotton wool for? The reason I'm asking is I Absolutley hate the feel of Cottonwool so I'm dreading having to use it for weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Tigeress wrote: »
    I'm going to buy some vaseline tomorrow to put into my labour bag lol! I heard it was bad bit didn't realise the 1st poops were that bad!

How long do you usually use the cotton wool for? The reason I'm asking is I Absolutley hate the feel of Cottonwool so I'm dreading having to use it for weeks!

I used wipes. Found huggies better than pampers. Thicker. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Congrats Freudiangirl!!!!! :)

There's wipes available in pharmacies called water wipes which have no chemicals in them - as far as I know they are just 99% water and so v.v.gentle and meant to be v.good for newborns, no experience with them myself tho so the info is second hand!

23 weeks 2 days... Can't believe 16 and a half weeks til I meet my little girl!! Tick.....tock........tick...............tick!!!! I'm sooooo ready to be 40 weeks already!!!! :)

Names wise - have to say I love the Irish ones, the harder to pronounce the better I say!! Hehe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

dublinlady wrote: »
    Congrats Freudiangirl!!!!! :)

There's wipes available in pharmacies called water wipes which have no chemicals in them - as far as I know they are just 99% water and so v.v.gentle and meant to be v.good for newborns, no experience with them myself tho so the info is second hand!

23 weeks 2 days... Can't believe 16 and a half weeks til I meet my little girl!! Tick.....tock........tick...............tick!!!! I'm sooooo ready to be 40 weeks already!!!! :)

Names wise - have to say I love the Irish ones, the harder to pronounce the better I say!! Hehe!

Absolutely agree, I wanted odhran for our little guy but himself thought it too hard to pronounce so we settled on Fionn. Love sadhbh or meadhbh or siofra for girls :)

• Advertisement

I think my womb might be practicing for the big event. Got two short sharp pains when I was out walking the dog - about 5 mins apart. Nothing too painful but kind of took my breath away for a second. Afterwards when I got home, I had a strange throbbing sensation in my lower uterus.
    That was about an hour ago and nothing since. I suppose it might be Braxton Hicks?
    - exciting and terrifying at the same time!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

I am due tomorrow :) Nervous as anything !! Can anyone tell me when to go into hospital like how far apart does the contractions have to be before you go in so that they won't send me back home again, I'd hate to go in and be sent home again. Any tips at all? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

congrats to you! Hope ye are both doing well xx

Avril123 wrote: »
    I am due tomorrow :) Nervous as anything !! Can anyone tell me when to go into hospital like how far apart does the contractions have to be before you go in so that they won't send me back home again, I'd hate to go in and be sent home again. Any tips at all? Thanks

I remember ringing the labour ward at about 4am when my pains were getting regular, they basically said to me to stay at home as long as possible until I felt I needed pain relief. However this was in January 2010 and the snow was really bad so we headed for the hospital around 6.30 and got there around 7.30. Baby was born at about 7pm that night. Did you do any ante natal classes, they usually give you an idea there, or ring your labour ward and see what they say?

My hospital said that contractions should be around 5 mins apart and lasting up to 1 and a half minutes at a time.

Ok I have a question that has kind of been niggling at me. I have monthly gyny appointments, and my boyfriend has been to one of them (the first morphology scan). While I like my gyny, he always asks why he doesn't come to the appointments, and it is starting to bother me. I find it hard to articulate that it is not a big deal to me whether he goes or not (as I give him all the details, show him the dvd etc etc later that day). I mean, I share the pregnancy with my boyfriend every day, it's not like he doesn't participate! I actually prefer going to medical appointments on my own.

Does everyone here go to their appointments with their husband/partner? Am I weird to not care that my boyfriend comes to the appointments or not?

My husband doesn't come to any appointments with me, he's at work. Any time I'm in the clinic there are rarely partners there, it's mainly just the pregnant women. The odd time you might see someone with a partner but it is rare. I'd imagine for most women, going to appointments on their own is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gtul

I also go on my own. For my first pregnancy my partner came with me for the first scan and maybe for one other appointment. With this pregnancy i've gone to all the clinic appointments on my own. Have to say i did feel a bit conscious about it the first few times as i was one of the only ones there on my own but what is the point in him taking a day off work when i can perfectly manage without him.

Cottontail wrote: »
    I remember ringing the labour ward at about 4am when my pains were getting regular, they basically said to me to stay at home as long as possible until I felt I needed pain relief. However this was in January 2010 and the snow was really bad so we headed for the hospital around 6.30 and got there around 7.30. Baby was born at about 7pm that night. Did you do any ante natal classes, they usually give you an idea there, or ring your labour ward and see what they say?

Jesus, that's terrible advice from the hospital... If I'd hung around at home until I needed pain relief on this one I'd have given birth in the car on the way to the hospital...

• Advertisement

gtul wrote: »
    I also go on my own. For my first pregnancy my partner came with me for the first scan and maybe for one other appointment. With this pregnancy i've gone to all the clinic appointments on my own. Have to say i did feel a bit conscious about it the first few times as i was one of the only ones there on my own but what is the point in him taking a day off work when i can perfectly manage without him.

Yeah this is what I think too. I'm wondering is it a French thing or something, because when I was asked why he wasn't there and I say "He's at work" he made some comment like "Oh he works very hard". I just feel like I have to justify myself!

I can't wait to tell the gyny that the boyfriend will not be in the labour ward til after the baby is born... :rolleyes:

Advertisement