Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gtul

Is he not going to be with you when you are having the baby?? I don't think my OH will be either, he says he doesn't want to go in with me at all. Once was enough to see something like that apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

gtul wrote: »
    I also go on my own. For my first pregnancy my partner came with me for the first scan and maybe for one other appointment. With this pregnancy i've gone to all the clinic appointments on my own. Have to say i did feel a bit conscious about it the first few times as i was one of the only ones there on my own but what is the point in him taking a day off work when i can perfectly manage without him.

My OH has been with me to the scans, but not to my other mid-wife appointments. There's no need for him to be there and if he came he would have to take time off work at his own expense, so we don't bother with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

My partner hasn't come to any of my clinic appointments either. I mean - it can be 4 hours outs of my day for 20 minutes of actually seeing anyone and I'm not working. So for him to come in would be a waste of his time off work. He does feel guilty about it though. But considering he won't get much time off when the baby comes I'd prefer he kept it all saved up for then.

And I actually find it really annoying when I'm sitting in the clinic and the midwife has to keep asking the men to move off and let the women sit. The constant shuffling is annoying. First time I was there - and yes ok, she was probably only 17 so maybe it different - but one girl had her mum and her boyfriend (though far dues to him for being there with her) there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gtul

nicowa wrote: »

And I actually find it really annoying when I'm sitting in the clinic and the midwife has to keep asking the men to move off and let the women sit. The constant shuffling is annoying. First time I was there - and yes ok, she was probably only 17 so maybe it different - but one girl had her mum and her boyfriend (though far dues to him for being there with her) there.

Yea last week at the clinic there was one woman there, now she was well into her thirties but she had her mother, father and her partner with her. i thought it was hilarious but annoying at the same time as seating is limited there most days.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

gtul wrote: »
    Is he not going to be with you when you are having the baby?? I don't think my OH will be either, he says he doesn't want to go in with me at all. Once was enough to see something like that apparently.

Well, he wants to be in the clinic, to be there right when the baby is born, but to be honest, he practically faints if I have a nosebleed so he thinks he will be in the way of the doctors and nurses during the birth. I will try to have my sister there, that would actually reassure me more! It's harder to explain to other people how it's not at all something I worry about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I have the opposite problem my OH insists on going to every appointment with me.. I don't mind most of the time but he doesn't really need to be there buy it's very cute how excited he is about everything :) we're lucky in that he can switch his days around so he doesn't need to take any time off work! I have 3 Antenatal Classes starting next week for 3 weeks so excited for them :) he's coming along too.. He wants to come in for the Labour but he's also very worried about what will happen so he's staying open minded till they show the video at the Antenatal Class, he'll prob run a mile then lol!
    I'm due Xmas Day and he doesn't finish up work for Xmas till 21-12 I'm a little worried about going into labour while he's in work as we live in Laois buy he works on the fat side of Dublin City Centre :o it takes him an hour & a half to get there but as he gets the train he'll have to rely on the train times too.. My sis is only 10 mins away though so I'm glad of that!

Ivy you should tell your Gyno to F Off that you wanna come on your own and that's that! He's a little rude by constantly bringing it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

same here - hubby goes whenever he can - but I insist he doesn't take time off especially, not for those 10 minute midwife appointments. He missed our big scan though (he just started a new job, and really couldnt get away) - and wasnt happy about that.

what gets me (seen it here a couple of times) are the people who insist on bringing their entire brood in for appointments - hubby, 5 kids, the lot. The maternity dept is busy and overcrowded as it is - and surely, if you have 5 kids already, number 6 on the way, and hubby obviously isnt working and has time to come into hospital with you - would it not be easier if he minded the kids (somewhere else) while you attend the appointment? Instead of causing mayhem and p*ssing off everyone else? Maybe I'm just cranky...:rolleyes:

oh, and re: the vaseline: here, vaseline is on the list of stuff to bring into hospital with you! I was baffled at first - it said 'vaseline and small plastic cup' - but didnt tell ya whatfor. Apparently, as ye say - the vaseline is for the first few nappies, and the bowl for wetting the cotton balls. only found out cause I asked the midwife about it...

by the way, blood pressure has gone down again, thankfully. fingers crossed it'll stay that way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I couldn't be bothered getting up filling water, washing a bum, emptying the bowl.. its too much faffing... i use johnsons wipes.. it cleans my car upholstery it cleans baby bum :pac::pac: never had a problem with them.. the only time i wouldn't use them is if their skin was broken due to nappy rash... you live you learn.. relaxy sleep is more important :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Hi gave birth to a wonderful baby boy last night v quick labour bloody show at 2:15 am then our little one born at 3:50am. So v efficient no pain relief used.I am proud as punch . Wonderful bundle of joy he weighed 6 pounds 11.5 ounces

Huge Congrats, well done x
    January wrote: »
    And the first dirty nappy is a real pleasure to change... meconium... lovely sticky stuff that, it's great trying to get it off with cotton balls and water!

Oh don't worry I've heard the horror stories from my sister hence me now praying for a boy :p
    cbyrd wrote: »
    i was ready for this one and i put vaseline on him in the delivery room. . . made the first 2nd 3rd poo's easier to clean off :D he was a meconium baby and i didn't think there'd be any left.. i was wrong ... he had lots. . .:rolleyes:

Great tip!
    *makes a mental note to add vaseline to my hospital bag*
    Today I have been alternating between the feelings of
    ''3 more long weeks to wait -come on baby hurry up and arrive''
    and
    ''Oh God, 37 weeks already - slow the hell down, I'm not ready!''

Can totally relate to that, one minute I'm fuming that I've 22 more weeks to go the next I'm panicing that I only have 22 weeks to go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

Ok first off sorry for too much info for the next bit but I have just gone to the bathroom for a wee :) and I thought I was finished and I just seemed to leak for a little bit then, I dont know why, I dont have any pains or anything? Any tips? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Put a pad on and monitor it, if you're still leaking... take a whiff... if it smells sweet then it's most likely your waters and you'll need to ring the hospital because if you go more than 24 hours with leaking waters you'll need antibiotics to stop possible infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Hi everyone,
    I was packed off to hospital on tues the 18th due to upwardly spiralling blood pressure and protein in my urine, I tried to tell my doc it was due to the parent's association meeting monday night but she was having none of it. bp and pee tests on tues and wed showed an improvement, but on thurs the toxemia started to show again despite upping the bp medication so baby Izzy (Isobel) was born by 'elective' c-section at 9:34am on Friday. (Hannibal, you beat me by a day!) She was 37+3 and weighed 5'14". She was still breech which is why the section rather than induction.

Despite tightly controlled gestational diabetes, her blood sugar went too low, and her temp dropped making her sleepy and uninterested in feeding, so she spent her first 24 hours in an incubator before I really got to see her. They stuck her on a glucose drip to get her sugars up and once her temp came up they fed her some formula which she took.

By sat morning she was in a regular hospital cot. I had managed to express some colostrum (just a few drops of superhero juice) which they had given her, but the formula was making her really windy and she started turning her nose up at it. They knew I was anxious to start breast feeding so I was summoned. Once I got her latched and they could see I was going to be able to feed her myself we were booted out back to the ward. She lost 190 g initially, but has since put back on 50g.

We finally made it home today. Izzy is properly tiny, but guzzles like a piglet, so she won't be long filling the newborn clothes. We're all tired, but happy to be home.

Ooh Avril maybe It's a sign of baby coming and soon! :)

So for a few days I was leaking a little fluid from my boobs, only a few drops now & then but it seems to have stopped the last 2 days.. I'm hoping it's normal?! I'm with my Doc tomorrow for GP Antenatal so I'm gonna ask him.. Everytime I go into him I have a million questions lol I bet he's fed up of me by now!

foxinsocks wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I was packed off to hospital on tues the 18th due to upwardly spiralling blood pressure and protein in my urine, I tried to tell my doc it was due to the parent's association meeting monday night but she was having none of it. bp and pee tests on tues and wed showed an improvement, but on thurs the toxemia started to show again despite upping the bp medication so baby Izzy (Isobel) was born by 'elective' c-section at 9:34am on Friday. (Hannibal, you beat me by a day!) She was 37+3 and weighed 5'14". She was still breech which is why the section rather than induction.

Despite tightly controlled gestational diabetes, her blood sugar went too low, and her temp dropped making her sleepy and uninterested in feeding, so she spent her first 24 hours in an incubator before I really got to see her. They stuck her on a glucose drip to get her sugars up and once her temp came up they fed her some formula which she took.

By sat morning she was in a regular hospital cot. I had managed to express some colostrum (just a few drops of superhero juice) which they had given her, but the formula was making her really windy and she started turning her nose up at it. They knew I was anxious to start breast feeding so I was summoned. Once I got her latched and they could see I was going to be able to feed her myself we were booted out back to the ward. She lost 190 g initially, but has since put back on 50g.

We finally made it home today. Izzy is properly tiny, but guzzles like a piglet, so she won't be long filling the newborn clothes. We're all tired, but happy to be home.

OMG Fox Congrats!! You must have been so worried, so so glad to hear baby Izzy (love the name :)) is doing so well now! Hope you're doing ok after the section! What a tiny but good size for 37 weeks :) I wish you a world of happiness with your new bundle & enjoy all those cuddles xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Congratulations foxinsocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Well done foxinsocks! Sorry it was a bit of a scary start for you all, glad it's all going well now. Isobel is a beautiful name, it's in our top 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

So who's next? My EDD is 18 Nov, starting to get a bit nervous now. I think Avril123 and Cunningstunt are due before me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Congrats foxinsocks!!!! Horrible that you had to go through that drama but delighted it all ended so well and great to gear she's happy and healthy now!!!

congrats foxinsocks!! :)

Cat - My due date is 15 Nov, but as it's my first I am expecting that I will probably go over that date, although am secretly hoping I go early as this pelvic / pubic bone pain I am getting now is a real annoyance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Congrats foxinsox! Wow, that was a dramatic arrival.

Love your name choice!

• Advertisement

So I had my GP Appoint today just the usual check-up & heartbeat check, all was perfect! He felt the baby & said it's very very low & still breech. I wasn't too worried as all the books say they can turn up to 36 weeks that was until he told me that he is 90% sure that this baby will not move. He said that baby is very big and very settled & prepare myself for an elective section! The hospital said something similar a few weeks ago but again I paid no attention as I'm only 32 weeks! I'm back with the hospital next week so I guess we'll wait and see what they say.. I'm weirdly still not worried just wanna know for sure what's gonna happen but I doubt the hospital will tell me anything next week they'll prob wait for a week or 2 after that..

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Hi Foxinsocks, congrats on your new arrival! Beautiful name, I'm sure she's a beautiful girl too x

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Tigeress wrote: »
    So I had my GP Appoint today just the usual check-up & heartbeat check, all was perfect! He felt the baby & said it's very very low & still breech. I wasn't too worried as all the books say they can turn up to 36 weeks that was until he told me that he is 90% sure that this baby will not move. He said that baby is very big and very settled & prepare myself for an elective section! The hospital said something similar a few weeks ago but again I paid no attention as I'm only 32 weeks! I'm back with the hospital next week so I guess we'll wait and see what they say.. I'm weirdly still not worried just wanna know for sure what's gonna happen but I doubt the hospital will tell me anything next week they'll prob wait for a week or 2 after that..

My doc seemed fairly sure Izzy wouldn't turn either. She was sitting in the one position for months though, I was always able to tell myself where she was, as even I could feel her head obviously up between my ribs. Now that she's born, she actually still moves that way in her sleep, ending up on her side with her legs out :)

Aww that's so cute Fox! Yeah I can tell where this little one is :) get headbutted all the time lol! How are you feeling yourself after the section?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

congrats foxinsocks! Isobel is a lovely name, too!

Just back from the hospital, things seem to have normalised (blood pressure and the protein). Let's hope it stays that way. Baby's head is 4/5 engaged as well (whatever that means ;-)), so all good! :) 4 weeks to go...

galah wrote: »
    congrats foxinsocks! Isobel is a lovely name, too!

Just back from the hospital, things seem to have normalised (blood pressure and the protein). Let's hope it stays that way. Baby's head is 4/5 engaged as well (whatever that means ;-)), so all good! :) 4 weeks to go...

That's Brill news Galah :) you must be delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Congrats foxinsocks! And good news for Galah too.

I was fairly happy today. Was in the clinic for my check-up - which normally takes forever. I was in and out in 30 minutes. I was actually in shock. And the longest bit was booking my next appointment - she seemed to take forever. But hey! Still happy. Baby's head is down so let's hope it stays that way.

Wandered through a couple of chemists after comparing prices on baby stuff. Didn't want to get anything until I was sure himself didn't mind being left out or whatever. I'm getting nervous about not having my hospital bag packed. I know it's my first and I'll go over and I'm only 32 weeks anyway, but for my own peace of mind...

It's not helping that I'll be down in clare all next week and the weekend (he'll be down for the weekend) and the following weekend he's off to America for a work thing. He'll only just be back today from England for a work thing. And then in January (baby might just about be 3 weeks) he might have to go to Spain for a week for a work thing... It's a great life for some! Not for those of us left behind though...

And I'm up in Dublin away from family - no friends here yet bar his, and I don't know them very well - and his brother doesn't drive. So if I get caught out I'm up shit creek....

Saying that, I know I could call on either of his two nearby male friends (married with babies) to drive me in if need be. And all this worrying doesn't help me sleep. I had the weirdest dream last night. About a baby boy. And it was my baby, but might have been adopted.

That's the second dream I've had where there was some sort of distance between me and the baby - last time I had to convince the baby that I was his mammy... baby could talk and for some reason didn't believe me... :(:confused:

Sorry for the long post; I couldn't stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Congratulations foxinsocks.. what a dramatic start . . :eek: Isobel is a gorgeous name (had it as a back up in case oscar wasn't oscar :D) My first was 5 8 and a half.. they're so so very tiny at that size but the good thing is you'll get lots of wear out of all the cute outfits ;):D

I was browsing some of the many many pregnancy websites, and I notice that the US ladies all seem to know exactly how much their cervix has thinned in the final few weeks of their pregnancy - ie. I see a lot of quotes like ''my doc says I am 60% effaced'' etc..
    Is this just a US thing, or am I missing out on some vital info from my doctor? Anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congratulations Fredian Girl!!! Hope mum & baby are doing very well :)

Fox in socks congratulations to you too!!! that's brilliant that she's feeding so well :)

Cbyrd excellent tip on the vaseline, those mecomium one's are something serious alright!

January, what wipes did you use in the hospital? I normally use the huggies in the cream pack but was thinking of packing one pack of those water wipes just for hospital as I've heard they're v mild.
    Tigeress wrote: »
    Wow Cap that's great they changed your dates :) what's your EDD now? The Doc put me a few days ahead but said to leave the org date of 25.12.11 & servos things go.. Can't believe your nearly 15 weeks already :) it seems to be flying for ya :) how was the scan? Bet that little bean was just amazing :) glad it went so well!

Thanks a mill Tigeress :) Edd is now 19/04/11, feels like ages away!scan was brill, looking forward to my next one already (January 16th)
    Fingers crossed your little baba will get the hint and turn the right way up to give you some relief before the labour!

Ivy my husband didn't come to any of my ante natal appointments. Not through a lack of interest, he works mon - fri and couldn't get the time off.It was never mentioned by the hospital though, to be honest I don't think its any of your gynae's business!

The only time it bothered me was when I attended the ante natal classes as I thought I'd be the only woman there alone, but only half of the women brought their partners so it was grand.

Advertisement