Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

January, what wipes did you use in the hospital? I normally use the huggies in the cream pack but was thinking of packing one pack of those water wipes just for hospital as I've heard they're v mild.

Thanks a mill Tigeress :) Edd is now 19/04/11, feels like ages away!scan was brill, looking forward to my next one already (January 16th)
    Fingers crossed your little baba will get the hint and turn the right way up to give you some relief before the labour!

Cap I got 2 packs of the Water Wipes for €6 in boots today :) they say on the pack that they're suitable from birth & 99.9% water rest is fruit extract! Aparently they're quite popular now! Better than using cottonwool! Hope this helps :)

Yey for an April baby :) I know what ya mean about feeling forever away lol and I've only to get to December! I hope baby turns too but I'm ok with a section too as I know it's better than a natural breech birth! The pains are horrible, some good days mostly bad (weirdly I wouldn't change it though) had a very hard night last night with sickness and pains so I'm hoping if I stay awake a little while longer I might fall into a proper sleep & get an hour or 2 in a row :) how did you little girl rake the news about the baby?!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Tigeress wrote: »
    Aww that's so cute Fox! Yeah I can tell where this little one is :) get headbutted all the time lol! How are you feeling yourself after the section?

I feel tired, and sore, but mostly ok. The wound is healing nicely, I think it was more the psychological effects of the section that I was scared about. I'd like to say it wasn't as bad as I thought, but it was pretty horrible. I'm sort of phobic about operations though, to me, it felt a little bit like I was dying. Lying there, unable to move while they physically removed my baby. A general anesthetic would have been worse though, I know that much. I don't even like getting the local anesthetic at the dentist! Makes me cry every time.

Now though, at home, with Izzy guzzling away it doesn't seem all that terribly important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I used the Huggies in the cream pack :) It's what I use all the time for all the girls... got 4 packs for €5 in Tesco the other day btw :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gtul

Congrats on the new arrival foxinsocks.
    I'm officially on maternity leave today, this day two weeks hopefully something will be happening:D
    Has anyone used the tesco brand of newborn nappies? i bought a pack lastnight as they were only about €2 compared to pampers at over €7 for same size pack. Its a while since i have had to buy nappies but have they gotten really expensive or am i imagining things? My OH insists that we buy the expensive ones cos he thinks the cheap ones will give nappy rash.
    Still have not packed my hospital bag yet. Anyone know where i can get nice maternity pj's/ nighties.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Hi ladies....I'm sorry I haven't checked back since my last post, I only got out of hospital last night at 8pm after begging and begging to be set free lol. So I'll post me birth story and then have a look back to see how you're all getting on if that's alright :o

Anyhow, so Wednesday morning 19th Oct, I started getting braxton hicks contractions. Nothing major, but they were quite regular, so I had a feeling that something was on the move. Anyhow by Wednesday evening they became stronger. I had planned to stay at home for as long as possible, I didn't want to be walking the corridors of Holles Street for days on end before going into proper labour, but I was conscious of the fact that the next morning would have been rush hour traffic, so thought my hubby convinced me to go and at least get checked.

Went in and they said I was having contractions, cervix had softened but I wasn't dialated at all yet. They didn't send me home though, they sent me to the dreaded Unit 3 for monitoring because of my scar I think I don't know why really. 6.30am the contractions were proper full on ones and my waters broke....the relief was incredible :eek: by 7.30am the pains were incredible, I was vomitting and shaking and wanted out of my misery :pac: Up until then I was using the breathing techniques I learned in yoga and to be honest, they worked a bloomin treat to get me through! Got down to the labour ward I was told I was only 1.5cms dialated :mad: I was NOT happy to hear that :mad: Oh I got the epidural at some point too...the gas and air were great but omg the epidural rocked!

Junior was very quiet on the CTG when we got there, there was no movement from him whatsoever....so they attached the fetal scalp thingy....they still weren't happy with that. Then came the big metal rods to extract a blood test from baby Simon. I remember them doing that on my first and it was just as humiliating this time around :o All dignity was well and truly shot to pieces :D They rechecked me and said I was still only 1.5cms dialated and said normally at this stage they would give me oxytocin to help the labour along, but they didn't think the baby would survive it and the only thing was to get him out ASAP via c-section.

So, just like before, we were whipped down to theatre and I was shaking like a leaf. I think because this one was so much more urgent I was absolutely terrified all I wanted was to hear that first cry and know it was all okay. So at 10.27am I heard him....it was the most incredible sound I have ever heard! Funny part was when the surgeon held him up to show me, he slipped out of her hands :pac::pac: and he spat his amniotic fluid all over me :cool:

That was the birth...it wasn't what I wanted but I couldn't give a monkeys, he is the most wonderful little boy...eating well...sleeping well and he is so alert...we all love him so so much, including his big brother.

After that things went majorly pear-shaped. My blood pressure shot through the roof so they kept me in hospital until yesterday, when the bp was around the 134/93 mark. So I begged and begged to be let home, 8 days was long enough, I wasn't waiting until we hit weekend territory when they'd refuse to let me out coz my gp would be closed. Finally I met a lovely doc who said as long as I go to my GP today she was happy to let me go yay!

So that's it...sorry for the long winded post, but I had to get it all out....and needless to say, never again! I'm done...no more kids for me! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Awww wow so many babies arrived while I was gone! :D Congratulations Oral Slang, Freudiangirl (you weren't too far behind me in the end! :D ) and Foxinsocks! Hope you're all enjoying snuggling your little bundles and you're all doing well. Have you had any chocolate since Izzy arrived Fox? ;)

I saw talk about wipes - if you're going to Holles Street, don't attempt to bring wipes with you unless they're water ones. The amount of women that got into trouble for not having cotton wool was incredible!:rolleyes:

Also one of the most important things I luckily had in my bag was vaseline! The meconium tends to stick to their little butts so you have to try and peel the nappy off which was traumatic for all involved :D Luckily when I routed through my bag if found a pot of vaseline I'd put in a while a go, which solved the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

So many new babas born in the last week or two, congrats to you all, there must have been a lot of getting jiggy done around Feb/March time, wonder if not being able to get out because of the snow had anything to do with it ;):p:D

18 weeks today. My back is absolutely killing me since yesterday. I had a bit of a dodgy back pre-pregnancy but was feeling quite smug about getting away without any back pain, that was until yesterday when it hit with avengance :( I'm walking around like I'm about 70, not to mention when I try to bend over to pick something up :eek:

gtul wrote: »
    Congrats on the new arrival foxinsocks.
    I'm officially on maternity leave today, this day two weeks hopefully something will be happening:D
    Has anyone used the tesco brand of newborn nappies? i bought a pack lastnight as they were only about €2 compared to pampers at over €7 for same size pack. Its a while since i have had to buy nappies but have they gotten really expensive or am i imagining things? My OH insists that we buy the expensive ones cos he thinks the cheap ones will give nappy rash.
    Still have not packed my hospital bag yet. Anyone know where i can get nice maternity pj's/ nighties.?

You know what, I only opened my first pack of Tesco newborn nappies today! So far so good! Couldn't pass them up for the price (€2.29 for a pack of 24, bargain!). They are so soft, kinda like Pampers... I use Tesco nappies on the older two and they are perfect. I was using Boots and Pampers before these (gifts from people), but the Tesco are perfect.

Foxinsocks so glad to head you're doing so well :) I myself had never had an operation either so I can only imagine how scary it is.. Great that it went so well in the end!

Hannible my goodness what an exciting labour you had! I hope you're doing ok & Simon! You must have been so scared! Great that you're home now and can relax and enjoy your new baby boy :) I hope the BP goes back to normal soon for ya xx

I bought some of the Tesco Nappies myself a few weeks back to try, I've heard they're very good and half the price! My sister used the Lidl Nappies on her last 2 kids (all grown up now) and swears by them! So I might give them a try too.. Pampers & Huggies are so expensive compared! Dunnes are doing 6 packs of Johnsons Wipes for €6 if anyone is looking to stock up :)

Awww wow so many babies arrived while I was gone! :D Congratulations Oral Slang, Freudiangirl (you weren't too far behind me in the end! :D ) and Foxinsocks! Hope you're all enjoying snuggling your little bundles and you're all doing well. Have you had any chocolate since Izzy arrived Fox? ;)

I have had chocolate, it now tastes like I would imagine a chocolate scented Yankee Candle would taste . The same goes for a lot of what I used to consider a treat: Cookie dough icecream, blech, chocolate muffins, blech... I even struggle with a plate of chips, they taste so stodgy and rediculously filling... Same goes for the plate of spaghetti I had a couple of nights ago. Hubby had a cup of subway coffee with 2 sugars in, and it tasted like i was drinking syrup. I am going to have to rethink my diet generally though, to try to adjust what I cook permanently, so I can enjoy dinner occasionally again :)

Slightly sweet cereals like Cheerios are still yummy though, and I have yet to try some haagen dazs. I'm hoping chocolate haagen dazs won't let me down.

I ordered a batch of US treats a couple of weeks ago, in anticipation of my return to the world of those with fully functional insulin, and I did eat 2 bowls of fruit loops, 3/4 of a 9 inch pepperoni pizza, and a can of root beer, and my 1 hour after sugar was actually normal... I figure if I can survive that, there's a good chance that my fear of being stuck with the diabetes was unfounded!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have a silly question, last time I went into labour, my waters broke, when I went to the hospital, the doctor examined me and confirmed they were all gone.

12 hrs later I had my daughter, does that mean I had a dry birth? Nobody mentioned it at the hospital, though I did have many, many internal stitches.

It was just when I tell others how she was born they ask what a dry birth was like.

32 weeks :) only 8 more to go! Or 57 days! But who's counting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Iv my eye on you Tigeress! You are 2 weeks ahead of me :D

Yay us!

x

Quins5 wrote: »
    Iv my eye on you Tigeress! You are 2 weeks ahead of me :D

Yay us!

x

Lol Yey :) Congrats on 30 weeks! On the final countdown ;) how are you doing? Are you finding your bump just exploding over night? Every few days I get up and I swear it's just had another massive growth spurt lol! When standing up straight I can no longer see my feet! Still 8 weeks of growing to go too lol..

I'm actually melting at the mo ladies! My OH keeps turning on the heating & I'm like Noooooo it's too warm as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

gtul wrote: »

I've used Tesco nappies after my daughter took a bad reaction to the pampers nappies, it used to give her a terrible rash.
    However the Tesco one's are brill, I find them a lot more absorbent than an of the Huggies/Pampers alternative, best fitting & rarely if ever leak.

As for nice maternity PJ's, if you plan to breastfeed there is a gorgeous brand called 'Hot Milk'. They're pricey but lovely.....
    http://www.mommieswithstyle.com/hotmilk-making-nursing-pajamas-sexy/

Tigeress nice one about the water wipes, I must try pop in Monday and pick up a few.
    I really hope the pains eases up for you soon :( I know what you mean though, it was a long journey to get this far for me too so although I might grumble a little about the back pain etc I still wouldn't have it any other way :)

I tried to tell our daughter about the baby by telling her there was a baby in my tummy, but now she keeps pointing to her own tum saying 'baby' so not sure it makes sense to her :D

Hannibal, that's gas about the midwives - do they really give out to you for bringing wipes? :eek:
    I brought cotton wool when going in to have my daughter because I was convinced I was goin to use only cloth nappies, nothing stronger than cotton wool & water on her bottom.
    Lol that lasted about a fortnight til I realised how messy newborn poo's can be and how the cotton wool sticks everywhere!! :o

Sounds like you had a tough time with your pregnancy, I'm delighted they let you home I can only imagine how sick of the hospital you must have been :(
    How is little Simon settling in at home? & what does his big brother make of him?
    I can't believe the consultant dropped him :O

Ms2011, please let me know if you find anything that gives you relief from your back pain. I'm in the same boat :(
    though funnily enough its only in work that it gets really bad. Despite when I'm at home I have a heavy little pudding of a little girl to lift up and housework that doesn't do itself.
    By comparison I'm at a desk the majority of the day in work, yet when I get more mobile in the afternoon in work I'm also like a 70 year old hobbling around!
    I even bought ugly Geox shoes because my mum swears by them and how comfortable they are - I don't see any difference between them personally and the €5 Penneys pumps I otherwise wear!

January those huggies wipes are brill. The odd time if I see the Johnsons one's on special I pick those up instead and instantly regret it! the huggies pure are a bit of a pain to wrestle out of the pack at times but I use half the amount of those than I would Johnsons or similar.

foxinsocks I want to eat that candle up, it looks delish, I can only imagine how yum it smells!
    Great to hear that Izzy is still feeding well :) & brill that the diabetes is not a permanent issue.

Any news of avril?....

Anyon have any advice for headaches :( have a splitting one for 2 weeks bow that's just getting worse! Doc said take some Paracetemol which I did but may aswell have taken smarties! I'm at my wits end of it... I even snapped at my OH last night for breething :( I felt so bad afterward but everything is annoying me from it at this stage, including the neighbours car alarm that goes off at the same time every night & morning :( I swear I thought about going out in my PJs last night and beating the car up lol

January those huggies wipes are brill. The odd time if I see the Johnsons one's on special I pick those up instead and instantly regret it! the huggies pure are a bit of a pain to wrestle out of the pack at times but I use half the amount of those than I would Johnsons or similar.

Both my older girls break out in a rash if I use the Johnsons wipes... I have to use sensitive wipes on them... so Lidl ones in the pink and blue pack or the Huggies or if the Pampers sensitive are on offer I use them... but I love the Huggies ones!

I forgot to mention, that thanks to the diabetes and the rediculously strict diet I wound up on, as of this morning, 9 days after giving birth, I am 25 pounds lighter than the day I got the positive on the pregnancy test.

So woohoo diabetes?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

oh my God everyone seems to have had their babies!! congrats to everyone, glad to hear everyone is doing well with their new arrivals :D

29 weeks and 2 days now. last 2 days my belly has been feeling really heavy. also feels a little crampy on and off under my bump. its wierd. baby still moving so im happy with that. anyone else had anything like this?
    my baby is still lying across the bottom of my belly so im wondering is it growing and doesnt have enough room to move. :confused: have an ante natal class tue evening so if its on and off til then ill say it to the midwife there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ms2011, please let me know if you find anything that gives you relief from your back pain. I'm in the same boat :(

Pillows and lot of 'em :) I've taken all the pillows off the spare beds and I used them when I'm sitting on the couch or watching TV in bed, they keep me at a right angle and my back straight which seems to be helping the pain.
    Maybe bring in a cushion for your chair in work.
    Tigeress wrote: »
    Anyon have any advice for headaches :( have a splitting one for 2 weeks bow that's just getting worse! Doc said take some Paracetemol which I did but may aswell have taken smarties!

Oh I feel your pain Tigeress, I can handle most types of pain but headaches just floor me plus I'm so used to taking strong painkillers to get rid of them before I was pregnant that now when I take paracetemol they have no effect at all.
    I've had 2 bad headaches since I've been pregnant and the only thing that has helped was lying in a dark room with an eye mask on. Sometimes having the radio on low as some background noise helps to take your mind off the pain, hope you feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Avril123

News...I had baby ciara yesterday morning after being in labour for 1 hour and 40 mins and having NO drugs!! I was too late for the epidural evening though I was begging for it but needing to push at the sane time :) Any useful tips for a first time mum would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congratulations Avril! wow very fast labour in the end!

The tip I would give is accept any help offered, especially if it means allowing you to have a few hours sleep!
    I stupidly refused all offers of help in the beginning when my daughter was born thinking that accepting help would be a sign of failure in some part on my side, like I wasn't capable of the job of being mum.

If I'm offered help this time I'll grab it with both hands!

Enjoy your beautiful little bundle :) Hope you're recovering well

Ms2011 I must try the additional pillows or at the least a big one for my chair in work. Anythings worth a try!

Avril123 wrote: »
    News...I had baby ciara yesterday morning after being in labour for 1 hour and 40 mins and having NO drugs!! I was too late for the epidural evening though I was begging for it but needing to push at the sane time :) Any useful tips for a first time mum would be greatly appreciated :)

Great news, guess it wasnt you waters breaking the other day! 1 hr 40 is soooo short, how cool cant even imagine it.

I second taking all the help possible and just accept that you know whats best for your baby and find a way of accepting other peoples advice but doing you own thing.

Also get your value from the PHN and the doc on you 2 week and 6 weeks check ups, have a list of questions going in. As you think of things, put them into your phone!

And 1 last thing, take a picture of your baby every day, I did this, no matter if she was beautiful or covered in snot and I'm so glad I did.

Massive Congrats Avril :) I hope my 1st experience of Labour is as quick hehe! What weight was Ciara? Delighted for you xxx enjoy your new bundle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

wow, congrats Avril!
    Fantastic that your first labour was so fast - what's your secret??!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

It was a bit mad over the weekend, I had such a compulsion to clean things! anything at all would do! I was sweeping and cleaning floors, bathrooms etc. I even woke up during the night wondering what I could clean the next day. I don't remember feeling anything like this during my last pregnancy. I keep looking around me and seeing dirt and things that normally I wouldn't pass any heed of..I like the house to be clean but this is a whole different level... I tried cleaning the shower doors but there's still residue on them, I must figure out a way to get it properly clean. When my maternity leave comes around there won't be a thing in the house that won't get cleaned!

Hi Ladies :) I hope everyone had a nice long weekend :)
    I'm back in the hospital tomorrow & I have a feeling baby might have moved from breech to transverse so fingers crossed! Baby is running out of room quite quickly & I was told last week that it'd have to move by this week to be able to go head down so I'm hopeful :)
    7w 5d left provided I don't go over :) getting excited & nervous lol! Have my 1st Midwife Antenatal Class on Thurs & the next one next week so I'm all excited about them, I've been reading up on pain relief & labour at the mo... Dreading that part lol!

• Advertisement

Cottontail wrote: »
    It was a bit mad over the weekend, I had such a compulsion to clean things! anything at all would do! I was sweeping and cleaning floors, bathrooms etc. I even woke up during the night wondering what I could clean the next day. I don't remember feeling anything like this during my last pregnancy. I keep looking around me and seeing dirt and things that normally I wouldn't pass any heed of..I like the house to be clean but this is a whole different level... I tried cleaning the shower doors but there's still residue on them, I must figure out a way to get it properly clean. When my maternity leave comes around there won't be a thing in the house that won't get cleaned!

Lol wanna come do my house? I'm dying to get stuck in cleaning but I get too sore too quick & end up in agony for days so I'm only do the basics at the mo.. For the residue I'd advise Cilit Bang Limescale Remover, we get real bad residue because our water is so hard here & that stuff works amazing although it's a little pricey..

Advertisement