Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I never even thought of that Ivy thanks so much for the advise! I'll stock up on some Vaseline :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Tigeress, one of the best things you can rub on sore nipples is breastmilk itself. Once baby has stopped feeding, just squeeze out a few drops and rub it in. Also as much exposure to the air as you can manage is great for easing tenderness. I don't know what ingredients you are allergic to, but Lansinoh is by far the most effective cream I tried (and I tried a lot of them!) so check the ingredients out for that. I would never have used something like Savalon or Germolene - they might give a bit of relief but for me they're too packed with chemicals to allow a baby to ingest them.

You can buy all-natural organic nipple creams online, and a friend of mine swears by Multi-Mam Balm (available in Ireland from onceborn.com). Or just use something like olive oil - it's way gentler on your skin and baby's digestive system than Vaseline - petroleum jelly can actually aggravate some nipple tenderness as it stops the skin from being able to dry off properly. Trial and error is the way to go though, but if the stuff in Lansinoh agrees with you, definitely start with a tube of that. You should only use one tube anyway, the initial tenderness should stop after the first week or so (think of it as being like breaking in a new pair of shoes!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tigeress wrote: »
    Cap it's definatley worth a try! I'm going again today :) hopping if I go every 2 days it might keep the pains at a more tolerable level!
    There's something really nibbling at me at the mo.. I really wanna try breast feeding as I know it's best & the books say to get some nipple cream in before baby comes encase you get sore or cracked nipples.. So I went into Boots to get some & it turns out I can't use any of them :( I'm highly allergic to Savalon (serious reactions to it) and all the creams have one of the 2 main ingredients to Savalon in them.. I can't even risk trying a little to see if I react as I'd need hospital attention to stop the reaction.. So I don't know what to do now.. I'm still adamant on trying to breastfeed but don't know weather I should get the nipple gards to use instead as this stops the cracking but it's more fiddly! Any suggestions? I'm back with my GP next week so I'll ask him if there's anything else I can try if i need too.. Would rather know in advance!

Could you use this? http://www.lansinoh.co.uk/products/lansinoh-hpa-lanolin

It's what I used in the early days, and it's great. I think I have a nearly full tube hanging around here somewhere if you want it, PM me your address and I'll send it on.

Thanks so so much Cat for your reply! It was amazingly informative :) my OH thanks you aswell! I've written it all down so that the post doesn't get lost on me :) thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

January wrote: »
    Could you use this? http://www.lansinoh.co.uk/products/lansinoh-hpa-lanolin

It's what I used in the early days, and it's great.

Lansinoh is great stuff. I also think that their breast pads are the best, they have a lining that draws the milk away from the skin so they feel very comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all,
    I hope everyone is doing OK.

I was told by the midwives today that the babys head is now engaged, so it's ready to press eject any day now...with 7 days to go, I hope I don't go too far overdue.

Just FYI, I asked them what a woman can try, to get labour going and they had only one recommendation - have sex :D

Hi all,
    I hope everyone is doing OK.

I was told by the midwives today that the babys head is now engaged, so it's ready to press eject any day now...with 7 days to go, I hope I don't go too far overdue.

Just FYI, I asked them what a woman can try, to get labour going and they had only one recommendation - have sex :D

Guess we know what you'll be doing fr the next few days :p hehe

Guess we know what you'll be doing fr the next few days :p hehe

:D My OH will be happy when I tell him what the midwife has recommended !!

:D My OH will be happy when I tell him what the midwife has recommended !!

Lol!
    You must be so excited now & so ready to not be pregnant! I'm already ready to not be pregnant lol! 6.5 weeks to go :)

Lol!
    You must be so excited now & so ready to not be pregnant! I'm already ready to not be pregnant lol! 6.5 weeks to go :)

Yes indeed! I would love to go into labour this minute! Am so fed up with the heavy load and the pelvic pain! This morning I had a dull pain like a menstrual cramp when I woke up and I was getting all excited - but then it was gone, and nothing since... The midwife told me that the baby's head being engaged is also not a guarantee that I will go anytime soon--- dammit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Girls I'm 5 weeks, just wondering is it normal to feel crampy?kinda similar to period pains but milder.
    Keep going bathroom expecting to see the worst.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

javagal wrote: »
    Girls I'm 5 weeks, just wondering is it normal to feel crampy?kinda similar to period pains but milder.

I had that a lot from 5 weeks up to a couple of weeks ago. I guess its just the uterus stretching for the first time ever? And yes, I still "knickerwatch"

All normal :)

javagal wrote: »

I know I did. On this pregnancy I had an implantation bleed and cramping that I was sure was a period. On my first I had no symptoms at all. If you're concerned, you should see your GP, or if you have a history of miscarriage maybe get yourself in to your local Early Pregnancy Unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Has anyone else been getting nosebleeds? My doc says it's normal but it's pretty gross, especially when it happens in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Afternoon all, had my midwives appointment today. Bp, urine etc. was all fine, midwife said I was 20 weeks today but I didn't think I was 20 weeks until Friday, think I'll go with the midwife cos that puts me HALF WAY THROUGH hurraayy:D
    The midwife used the doppler but could only get to hear babs heartbeat for a few seconds at a time because he/she wouldn't stop moving :rolleyes: Still it was lovely to hear :) Roll on 22th Nov for my big scan, can't wait to see babs again:)
    I asked about the flu jab and my midwife said (off the record) that she wouldn't recommend it so that's good enough for me, I was keen on the idea so that just made up my mind :)
    My Gentlebirth CD's arrived this morning, can't wait to listen to them, here's hoping they get me over the fear of giving birth, if they do they'll be worth every cent :)
    Is anyone else getting breathless really easily?? I usually walk the dog for and hour and 15 mins but I've had to reduce it now to 45 mins, half way round the park I am gasping for air, dunno if it's pregnancy related or just that I've become less fit since finishing work :o

I've 9 (NINE!!!) days to go to my EDD :eek:

Just finished packing my bag - himself was freaking out that I didn't have it done as all the women at his work were filling him with horror stories of middle of the night dashes to the hospital weeks before the due date. I'm hoping junior won't make an appearance until next Monday at the earliest - childcare for #1 is a problem until then...

Has anyone else been getting nosebleeds? My doc says it's normal but it's pretty gross, especially when it happens in the middle of the night!

I got one with this pregnancy. It came totally out of the blue. Before that, I hadn't had one since I was a kid!
    But I also learned that it is normal - something to do with the extra blood flowing around your body that creates pressure in the delicate capillaries inside your nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I suffered horribly with nosebleeds on all three of my pregnancies, but then again I'm prone to them anyway... I used to wake up with my face covered in blood sometimes... not a pretty sight...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone know where I can get a TENS Machine in dublin? please and thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

January wrote: »
    I suffered horribly with nosebleeds on all three of my pregnancies, but then again I'm prone to them anyway... I used to wake up with my face covered in blood sometimes... not a pretty sight...

I've never been prone to nosebleeds, but I'm getting about one a week. I suppose if that's my worst pregnancy symptom I'm not doing too bad! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Hello I'm one of the broody ones,
    This may sound shocking or even naive but I feel such pain, like heartbreak I have constant thoughts and feelings about bringing up a child but I do want to wait at least 5-9 years because I'm only turning 21. I've been in a stable relation ship for three and a half years.

I know most would say get out there and live my life first, I will but it doesn't take away these thoughts, I have an inkling its hormonal. I'm on the Implanon, my second so no surprises until long after mid 2014

So basically I just have such strong feeling about having a baby, I have my own flat which I will always be able to afford even on the dole, I'm not trying to fix anything, I'm a very loving and caring person in my personal life and career.

Has anyone else experienced these feelings for more than a year, what do I do?

Ivy I suffer terrible with nose bleeds since early pregnancy! At least twice a week but was told it's totally normal..

MS Congrats on getting to the halfway mark :) it's a pretty awesome feeling isn't it hehe.

Cat wow 9 days! Is baby fully engaged or do ya know yet? I have my fingers crossed that you and Cunning dont go too far over! Have you both got your names all picked? I think I may have packed my bag a little early lol considering you finished yours at 9 days to go!

Cap & Neyite, how are you ladies doing? Hope the pregnancies are going well! Any more scans lately?!

saa wrote: »
    Has anyone else experienced these feelings for more than a year, what do I do?

No one can tell you when the right time is. If you're ready, you're ready. I wasn't ready until I was in my mid-30s, although I had the hormonal longings for years and years before that. But the rational part of my brain kicked in and I waited until it was right for me, my partner (who I didn't meet until I was in my late 20s) and my life. Your life is probably very different from mine, but be careful what choices you make. With babies, there's no going back!

Anyone know where I can get a TENS Machine in dublin? please and thanks
    You can hire or buy them from most Boots chemists. Mothercare have them too, or there's a company called Medicare based in Dublin that will post them out to you.

Cat wow 9 days! Is baby fully engaged or do ya know yet? I have my fingers crossed that you and Cunning dont go too far over! Have you both got your names all picked? I think I may have packed my bag a little early lol considering you finished yours at 9 days to go!
    No, not engaged, but my first boy never engaged at all, didn't stick his head down until he could see daylight! We've decided on one of 3 girl's names, but are lost for a boy's name. It was the same last time, we had a girl's name all picked out but it took us 2 days to decide on the wee man's name! I'm taking that to mean this one will be a boy too!

I'm also watching Cunning Stunt like a hawk, she'd better go before me and give me good warning!

We have finally settled on a few possible names, and we are hoping we'll know for sure when we see the little one in the flesh :)

Cat am not sure about going before you! I have a feeling this baby does not want to budge!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We have no names.. at all. We had all boys names last time as I was convinced she was a boy, she was 6 days old before we named her.But we picked a Japanese name and now we cant find a boys name that goes with it.... oops. I'll be advertising for help with a name soon.

I got nose bleeds last time and this time but only after about 25 weeks, really embarrassing, got one in work one day but had no idea until some one told me, then leaked blood all the way to the bathrooms... which are miles away!

Had a check up yesterday and the doctor was lovely, never seen him there but I was with him for about 1/2 an hour, he went through everything, referred me for physio, checked my back for disc damage, explained everything he was doing in great detail. He was a bit shocked at the amount of paracetamol I was taking every day I go to work and was happier when I told him I was going on maternity at 33 weeks.

I also asked about the flu jab and he just said, 'do you suffer with colds in winter', I said no. He said, well then you should be OK. I thought that was odd, but I really never get a cold.

I was just thinking last night in bed, how am I going to drag my daughter outta bed in the middle of the night and deposit her at my friends when I go into labour, this totally changed the 'I hold on at home for as long as possible' plan I had last time. There's so much more organising to do this time.

Best of luck Cat, really on the count down now! Surprised they didnt mention induction date yet. I'll bet a fiver on a girl, just to be different.

I lent my tens to a friend a few weeks ago, she didnt get to use it in the end, but I will be more relaxed when i know its back in my house with 2 sets of batteries!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Cap & Neyite, how are you ladies doing? Hope the pregnancies are going well! Any more scans lately?!

Doing great thanks Tigeress :) How about you? you're really racing towards the finish line now!

Wmpd33 that's gas that it took so long to chose a name, I'll be exactly the same if I have a boy this time & there's a good chance if I'd had a boy last time it might have been 6 months before baby got a name :D
    I am leaning towards being convinced that its a girl again this time & already have idea's for a girls name this time around, if its a boy he'll be called 'baby' :o

Cunning stunt & Cat melodeon, not long now for either of you - any nerves yet or just ready to meet baby?

Ash J Williams, I'm not of the price to rent one, but I picked up a good tens on either amazon or ebay for €60.

I loaned it to a friend after but not too sure if I'd be bothered getting it back. I found when the contractions were niggling me the night before labour that the tens was more of an irritation and that my ipod was more effective as a distraction. That said a lot of people swear by them.

I'm finding it interesting the push on promotion of the flu jab, I was pregnant over the winter last time and there was no mention of it.
    That said this was in the middle of the swine flu fun so it was more about that.
    I did get the swine flu jab but don't think I'll go for the flu one (hope I don't jinx myself now!).

Cunning stunt & Cat melodeon, not long now for either of you - any nerves yet or just ready to meet baby?

Half and Half -- am ready to eject this baby now, but am also very nervous at the thoughts of going into labour :o Still, every little twinge I get, I'm thinking ''this could be it!!" but it never is....
    Am up 3 or 4 times a night to pee and every time I am hoping I will have a show, but no luck...this waiting game sucks!
    Off to walk the dog now - maybe it'll help....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Strange to say that the best I've felt all pregnancy long was the long weekend I spent running round a hotel in Clare running a fan convention... :D Apart from needing my bed early on two out of four nights (which wouldn't be that different from the time I ran it when I wasn't pregnant) I felt awesome! But then I haven't had a job for the entirety of the pregnancy so I'd been mostly sitting around.

Did find that the heat and dry air in the hotel almost killed me. I drank more water in a day than I would in a year and I came down with a dry cough and my voice went all husky. Which was great for doing the interviews I had to do...

Anyway, had my GP check up yesterday and all is well. Got the flu jab (combined I think) while I was in there. I can often come down with a bad flu/bronchitis in late November/early December that can last a month. I really don't need that this year.

I'm at 34 weeks and himself is off to America for 10 days for a work convention. Was initially nervous about it, but after the weekend I just had I feel like I could take on the world! Besides, I think my parents are coming up the weekend. His mother did offer to come back from London just in case but I couldn't handle that. I had a little breakdown in front of her about a month ago and she's been mother-henning me ever since...

Speaking of mother-henning: in the lead up to the convention I spent a few days down in Clare with my sister and sister in law getting the last few things ready... and I eventually lost my temper a bit... Well, when someone grabs an empty shopping basket of you (in a stationary shop) it's a bit much...

(Sorry if this is all a little too long!)

Advertisement