Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Being Pregnant is finally starting ti sink in and i'm soooooo excited and sooo in love with my little tadpole !!!

What stage do you all start buying stuff? At the Jan sales I will be 15weeks.!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

javagal wrote: »
    Being Pregnant is finally starting ti sink in and i'm soooooo excited and sooo in love with my little tadpole !!!

I think its totally up to you. Im 20 weeks on Sunday and have not baught a single sausage yet :rolleyes:

Im a bit of a last minute-er

My aunt however, has bought alot of stuff for my baby, but she lives far away so I dont have it yet..

I would go with whatever you are comfortable with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

If I had my way static, I'd be buying now, I crave organization, I have to plan things or I get stressed out, my OH is the same,he wants to be able to budget stuff but My mam won't let me buy anything until after the first scan.Party Pooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

just had my last appointment with the midwives :eek::eek::eek: the fact that we're ACTUALLY having a baby very very soon is starting to really sink in now - scary biscuits! while I won't miss the pains and aches (and trying to find parking in UHG :mad:) - I'll miss the bump a bit, I think :o

really need to get going on the baby names...:o

wmpdd3 - glad you got the physio appointment sorted! Hopefully it'll help!

re: the flu jab - asked my GP as well, and she said there's no real need, since baby won't benefit from it now anyway (with 2 weeks to go until due date). so I left it. Promptly got a nasty cold (but not the flu) - ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

i love my baby :) cant wait to meet him/her. had my hosp appt on tue and baby has turned and has head down. i know im only(:eek:) 31 weeks 2moro but hopefully it will stay that way. seems like i feel movements much more often and strong now since he/she moved. it feels a bit more real for some reason. cant wait :D

oh also my house came yesterday. we are building a timber frame. so excited bout everything :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I talked to my job today, well my manager.. He said that HR had been onto him & have changed my maternity leave dates!!! They can't do that, can they?!? My EDD is 25th Dec which means I go on maternity 2 weeks before on 11-12-11 (our work week is Sun to Sat) I've been out sick since the start of Oct, as you all know I'm suffering terrible from Pelvic & back pain.. It's Doctors orders that I stay out until baby's born! They said they're moving my maternity leave to start 27th Nov instead which means I loose 2 weeks with my baba! Surely they cannot just decide to do this! I told him to tell them 'no my dates are my dates & my maternity will start 11-12' my OH is furious too, he said they can't do that either.. I mean the Social Welfare have confirmed my Maternity Payments starting 12-12 aswell... Anyone any advise?!

Ok so after trawling the Internet with my OH we have discovered the UK Law says if you are of sick then they can force you to take maternity early (4 weeks max) if you are off sick however there is no such thing in Irish Law so they can't make me.. As it's an English Company I think maybe they think they can do it here too.. Gonna call them myself tomorrow and try clear this up! It's driving me a little mad tonight though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Tigeress, definitely check with HR (or even social welfare/citizensadvice)again - I was in the same position, doctor wrote me off sick 6 weeks before my maternity leave started. I had the sick certs right up until the first day of my maternity leave and had no problems with that! was worried about the same thing, that they'd shorten the mat leave - but my boss said that they're two different things, as long as you get the certs from the doctor, sick leave is sick leave and mat leave is mat leave.

best of luck, hope you get your entitlements!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Cunning stunt & Cat melodeon, not long now for either of you - any nerves yet or just ready to meet baby?

I'm not really nervous, although my husband is beginning to wreck my head with 'what if?' scenarios. I'm thinking of plugging him into my ipod while he's sleeping and getting him to do some unconscious hypnobirthing!

I am a little bit nervous about the idea of going myself - I was induced last time and it was all very organised and civilised checking in the night before. The idea of not knowing when it's going to happen is a little bit unsettling. I'm back in the clinic on the 15th, with the EDD on the 18th, so I guess there'll be some talk of induction then. I'm hoping they'll let me go over that weekend and bring me in on the 21/22 (my personal EDD). Of course with the bp pushing ever skywards, I might be kept in on the 15th.

I really don't mind at all, I'm so chilled out compared to first time round when I fought tooth and nail against every intervention. I just want baby out so I can get me some decent drugs for this damned chest infection - I'm completely voiceless now, it'll be a quiet labour ward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tigeress, give NERA a ring in the morning, they should give you a definite answer :)

• Advertisement

Tigeress wrote: »
    I talked to my job today, well my manager.. He said that HR had been onto him & have changed my maternity leave dates!!! They can't do that, can they?!? My EDD is 25th Dec which means I go on maternity 2 weeks before on 11-12-11 (our work week is Sun to Sat) I've been out sick since the start of Oct, as you all know I'm suffering terrible from Pelvic & back pain.. It's Doctors orders that I stay out until baby's born! They said they're moving my maternity leave to start 27th Nov instead which means I loose 2 weeks with my baba! Surely they cannot just decide to do this! I told him to tell them 'no my dates are my dates & my maternity will start 11-12' my OH is furious too, he said they can't do that either.. I mean the Social Welfare have confirmed my Maternity Payments starting 12-12 aswell... Anyone any advise?!

think thats illegal in irish law. surely they will have to follow irish law if in ireland? if ur signed off sick ur sick!!! def get onto citizens advice and anywhere else cos thats ridiculous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Tigeress that is absolutely lousy of your employers to do that :eek: definitely doesn't sound right at all, a friend was on sick leave from about week 16 of her pregnancy and her employers did not intervene or try dictate when her maternity leave should start.
    I could be wrong on this entirely - I know that if you take holidays and you end up sick during your holidays, you are entitled to take further holidays (albeit unpaid) as if you're sick that's not related to any leave you have earned or are due. I would've though that to be the case with pregnancy also?

Cat Melodeon, that aspect freaked me out a bit last time too, not knowing when labour would commence. Though it needn't have bothered me as the lazy baby didn't arrive until 2 weeks past her edd and at that it was after a sweep :rolleyes:

Wow red fraggle that must be so exciting the start of a new house as well as a new baby! You'll certainly be kept busy :D

Cunning stunt, I was the same when pregnant with my daughter, half nervous about the labour itself, but the other half so keen to start labour I dragged my husband out to walk the length of the field beside the house several times a night the 2 weeks I was overdue :pac:
    Its a steep uphill field full of dried frozen cow poo that time of year so was a bit of an obstacle course :D

Nicowa send on some of that energy you have if you have some to spare ;) I'm like a crock in work these days!

Wmpd33, do you mind me asking - did the hospital or your gp refer you for the physio during pregnancy? Or did you get an appointment with one privately?
    I wouldn't mind seeing a physio myself now, I'm walking around like a 90 year old woman these days :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Wmpd33, do you mind me asking - did the hospital or your gp refer you for the physio during pregnancy? Or did you get an appointment with one privately?
    I wouldn't mind seeing a physio myself now, I'm walking around like a 90 year old woman these days

I am public biyt have no medical card, so I went ot my own GP and asked her to refer me, she sent the letter, 2 weeks later she called to see what the hold up was in the hospital, they told her my consultant would have to refer me as I was not a GMC patient.

So Tuesday, I had my usual hospital appointment and the registar (?) Dr. filled out a blue sheet and wrote emergency on it, he asked me to drop it into reception in physio. I got an appointment for this Thursday, this morning, delighted. I got 1 private physio last time, I thought it was crap, the lady only did each exercise twice and just told me to repeat 20 time at home.

@Red Fraggle: my little girl's engaged at 32 weeks and came at 37w 4d!!!

@Red Fraggle: my little girl's engaged at 32 weeks and came at 37w 4d!!![/QUOTE]

oh my God. better get myself sorted. that means a could have my baby just after christmas :D i wouldnt mind going a bit early! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

nicowa wrote: »
    Speaking of mother-henning: in the lead up to the convention I spent a few days down in Clare with my sister and sister in law getting the last few things ready... and I eventually lost my temper a bit... Well, when someone grabs an empty shopping basket of you (in a stationary shop) it's a bit much...

I got this at the weekend also when I was staying at my parents, seriously I can carry a sandwich and a cup of tea into the living room without any help :rolleyes:
    javagal wrote: »

Believe it or not I bought my first baby related item (a gliding chair and foot stool) at 5 weeks, I'm now 20 weeks and I have just about everything for the baby including a decorated nursery and I'm just waiting on my lotions and potions (witch hazel, tea tree oil etc.) to arrive in the post as I ordered them off ebay for my hospital bag.
    I've always been miss organised so with me being out of work I've had loads of time to plan and buy :)

Ladies I'm loving my Gentlebirth CD's, even if they do nothing for me when I go into labour I am getting a great nights sleep listening to them as I'm nodding off. I fell asleep at 11pm last night and didn't wake up until 10am this morning :eek:

Thanks Wmpdd3, I must say it to my GP and see if she might get me a referral.
    I'm not an emergency case or anything but need to try nip it in the bid now before I develop a proper bump and the extra back ache that goes with it!

Omg Ms2011, you are seriously organised! the only thing I have bought so far is a buggy board, but I haven't even opened the box, too superstitious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Wow Ms2011 you're well organised! Im 31 + 4 and Iv practically nothing! I should really get my act in gear, its sooooo exciting!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks Wmpdd3, I must say it to my GP and see if she might get me a referral.
    I'm not an emergency case or anything but need to try nip it in the bid now before I develop a proper bump and the extra back ache that goes with it!

Omg Ms2011, you are seriously organised! the only thing I have bought so far is a buggy board, but I haven't even opened the box, too superstitious :D

Just in case I didnt explain well, if you're Medical card, you GP can refer you.

If you not Medical Card, the consultant (that you never see!) in the hospital must refer you.

Thanks for all the advise ladies! I'm waiting on my job to get back to me to explain.. Was meant to be today but I guess it'll be Monday now.. Once I hear what they have to say I'm gonna call Citizens Advise & go from there, hoping they've made a mistake & thinking it's possible cause of UK Law but not Irish.. So frustrated about it all but sure nothing I can do till they call me Mon.

Glad everyone is getting on so well :) I started buying at 20 weeks & I'm delighted to say we have everything :D bags are all packed..

Cap hope you get sorted with Physio Soon! Although they can't do alot..

Baby has been moving loads more than usual tonight! Looks like they're gonna break through my stomach lol.. My OH is amazed by it :) I'm pretty sure theyre still breech but maybe all this extra movement is them trying to turn around?! Guess I'll find out at the GP next week :) 34 weeks tomorrow!! Very excited! We're enjoying our alone time at the mo as it's not gonna be just us for too much longer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

3 days to due date and not a thing happening :(
    Was just on a marathon hike around the shops with my OH but baby is still hanging in there. I guess it's too cosy and well fed.:D

Ah well, I suppose I should just try to enjoy the time that I still have to myself. God knows I might be wishing for some of that time back soon enough! :p

On a side note, did anyone see that programme last night called ''I didn't know I was pregnant'' about women who were taken by suprise when they suddenly gave birth to babies they didn't know they were carrying :eek: How on earth those women could miss all of the signs I do not know?? The mind boggles! My baby is so big now, I can feel every little movement, not to mention the bump on me - amazing to think someone could not realise they are pregnant until they go into labour!! (Still, at least they didn't have to play this waiting game...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

Hi all
    I see the other half has been keeping you posted, yes it is a complete and utter shocked to my body and my mind that I had to have emergency C-section, but my body was failing me, so they had no choice, babies are doing well. and now I am slowly on the road hopefully to full a recovery. I hope I never have to go through what i went through ever again, and wouldn't wish it on anyone, It was most scary experiences ever. But I am so grateful to my consultant for saving my life, and the midwifery staff for their quick action and care they provided me it was supper and I cant falter them. they where the best.
    We would love to have the babies home for Christmas. We try to visit them as often as we can, but when one (me) isn't feeling well its hard - and I feel rubbish that I have let them down
    Hope everyone else is doing well, its just quick update
    update you some more later on in the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

purplecat - you did not let your babies down. I know it's hard to fathom now and I do know how you are feeling (I had an emergency c section on my first baby too, but she was full term), but it gets better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

purplecat wrote: »
    Hi all
    I see the other half has been keeping you posted, yes it is a complete and utter shocked to my body and my mind that I had to have emergency C-section, but my body was failing me, so they had no choice, babies are doing well. and now I am slowly on the road hopefully to full a recovery. I hope I never have to go through what i went through ever again, and wouldn't wish it on anyone, It was most scary experiences ever. But I am so grateful to my consultant for saving my life, and the midwifery staff for their quick action and care they provided me it was supper and I cant falter them. they where the best.
    We would love to have the babies home for Christmas. We try to visit them as often as we can, but when one (me) isn't feeling well its hard - and I feel rubbish that I have let them down
    Hope everyone else is doing well, its just quick update
    update you some more later on in the week

Wow purplecat congratulations! Sorry to read you had such a tough time of it. I hope the ickle ones are thriving well and I hope you have them home by Christmas, what a present that would be!

I'm not sure if I'm remembering you correctly, but are you the lady that was attending Holles Street and had problems with your bp? Is that why you had the emergency section? Is that why you feel you let them down?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's just I know exactly how you feel. When I had my first son 2 years ago, he had to be brought into the world 4 weeks early because my BP went mental. I spent the last 2 years always feeling guilty that I'd let him down, other mums brought their babies into the world without needing extra help and I couldn't even carry mine full term.

Anyhow, on this recent pregnancy my BP was perfectly fine throughout and only AFTER the baby was born did it go as haywire as it did on the first. The point I'm trying to make is, that I learned that your BP going mad is NOTHING that you've done, or that you can control. It's your body's physical reaction to the baby(ies), the pregnancy hormones, the changes in how it's working. There's nothing you could have done to change how things went and it was nothing you did or didn't.

Don't be like me and spend the first while of your babies' lives feeling guilty over how they came into the world. Smile and be proud of yourself that you carried them for as long as you could and when your body had enough they were delivered safely and in all your best interests.

I hope this makes sense, if you're not the lady I'm thinking of I'm very sorry for the waffle :D:o

Purplecat, great to hear from you and that both babies are doing so well. Fingers crossed they'll be home for Christmas. Hopefully by that stage you'll be much better too.

Thanks Wmpd33, I'm going to go to my gp tomorrow and see if she might refer me is possible. Next hospital appointment isn't until mid January, if I waited that long I'll be a crock altogether!

Cunning Stunt, any sign of movement or are you fed up of people asking you that already?
    I often wonder about those programs where women carry a baby full term and don't cop they're pregnant until they go into labour. I find it so hard to believe they would miss a baby kicking inside them or moving around :confused:

Cunning Stunt, any sign of movement or are you fed up of people asking you that already?

absolutely no problems with you asking. I have put a message on my facebook page that nothing is happening, so that has kept most of the questions at bay anyway :)

Not a sign of anything stirring yet and due date is tomorrow. I am resigned to the fact that I will probably go the full 2 weeks over. Had another cruel dream last night that labour had started, but nope... :rolleyes:

Just came across this info online. Acupressure to relieve labour pain and to induce labour -- if anyone is interested

http://www.attiliodalberto.com/articles/Acupressure%20During%20Labour.pdf

baby was very busy last night doing some extreme somersaults that kept making me jump. mu husband felt everything and couldnt believe how strong all the movements were. i loved it!! :D

ok so i didnt know that we had fore waters and hind waters. my sister in law thought her waters broke 6 weeks early and when she got checked out they said it was only her fore waters! i seriously never heard of this. anyone know anthin bout it?? just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Terrible night last night between nosebleeds and being wide awake for 3 hours in the middle of the night. Didn't seem to disturb the little fella though, he was moving away.

I suppose one of the benefits of being "between jobs" is that I can catch up on sleep today... :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

ok so i didnt know that we had fore waters and hind waters. my sister in law thought her waters broke 6 weeks early and when she got checked out they said it was only her fore waters! i seriously never heard of this. anyone know anthin bout it?? just curious.

haahaa yes...when my waters broke it was one or the other of them hadn't come away, can't remember which, lets just say by the time they were finished poking me with rods to get a blood test from the baby all waters were free :o:D

• Advertisement

Hey ladies :) how's everyone?

Purplecat, sorry to hear you're still not well :( and I have all my fingers & toes crossed that your little ones get home for Xmas! What a present that'd be :)

Well my job said I have to take my maternity leave 4 weeks before my due date rather than 2 cause I'm out sick.. So I called Citizens Advise who told me to call NERA who put me through to Maternity Rights people & I finally got an answer after aggeeessss on the phone! Try aren't allowed to change my maternity leave dates as it violates my rights & only I can choose when they start (but has to be at least 2 weeks before baba's due date) so they're sending me the booklet with everything explained for my job! I called and told them so they said they'll look at the booklet when it comes in.. So I have to wait for them to confirm my dates are as they were & bit changed which will take a few days but as it's so close I'm gonna keep harassing them till they say ok :) just encase anyone else has work related issues with maternity the website is www.equality.ie an they have a list of booklets online one of which is called 'Maternity Leave Rights Explained' handy to know! Hope that all makes sense lol

I was In hospital again yest due to pains and they said baby has finally turned :) so happy! The head is low so they think it's pressure pains! I however was very worried while there as the alarms all went off cause babys heartbeat was very high at 177-180 but the midwife wasn't worried at all.. My BP was high too & I had a bit of a temp but after a little while it settled & they sent me home.. It was super busy in Portlaoise & I wrecken if it wasnt so busy they'd have kept me in.. It all felt very rushed. Went to GP this morning and he checked and said everything seems fine today! I'm just taking it easy for now!

Advertisement