Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

well it's my due date today and I am just back from my appointment with the midwife. She gave me an internal exam and was going to do a membrane sweep if possible, but turns out that things are still tightly closed up there, so no sweep was possible.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. It has just confirmed for me that there is absolutely nothing going on up there yet..

If nothing has happened by next Thurs (week 41+2), I have to call the hospital and get another examination. Then they will decide best way forward.

This sucks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

well it's my due date today and I am just back from my appointment with the midwife. She gave me an internal exam and was going to do a membrane sweep if possible, but turns out that things are still tightly closed up there, so no sweep was possible.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. It has just confirmed for me that there is absolutely nothing going on up there yet..

If nothing has happened by next Thurs (week 41+2), I have to call the hospital and get another examination. Then they will decide best way forward.

Awww sorry to hear that Cunning! Hopefully this little one will come soon for ya! They must be super comfy in there :) when your little one arrives the wait will be totally worth it and you'll forget about the waiting :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

All is not lost! On my second daughter the consultant tried to do a sweep the week before my due date, he couldn't because there was nothing going on up there... it was a Wednesday... I went into labour the next Tuesday and had her the Wednesday morning. You could have your baby by next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Well, you're not going to be happy with me so, seeing as I was waiting for you to lead the way...

Contrary to all expectations of going overdue, at 11 pm on Sat night my waters went and our little girl (shocked and stunned, sure it was another boy!) was born after an extremely quick labour at 3.16am, weighing in at 7lb10, a little titch compared to her bruiser of a brother. It was all a bit mad. My three designated and on-call childminders (sisters & brother) decided there was no way I'd be giving birth before next week and decided to get pissed together (they rarely drink) so I had to get my other sister to drive up from Cork - she did the usually nearly 2 hour trip in an hour :eek:

It was a great experience though, I'll post up all the details on the birth stories thread. They let us out of the hospital yesterday, it was so lovely to be home - my 'good sister' had the house like a hotel and has been fab minding the little lad and bringing me tea. In-laws arrive tomorrow (supposedly in plenty of time for the birth!) so I'll be queening it for the next fortnight. Bliss!

Cunning Stunt, hope it soon starts for you, and that everyone else is keeping well!

Massive Congrats Cat :) so glad to hear everything went so well! What a lovely weight for your little girl! Have you picked a name? Delighted to hear you're home & all! Here's hoping my labour will be as quick hehe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Wow Congrats Cat! Fantasitc news, delighted all is well :D

Hang in there Cunning, ou'll have your little bundle in no time and you'll forget all about the wait :)

We had our 32wk scan today and baby was mouthing away as if he/she was chatting to us it was amazing! :D Measuring almost 2 weeks ahead tho! :eek: the consultant said she wouldnt change the dates tho as things might level off. If measurements are anything to go by we could have our little bundle before the new year!!!:eek::D:eek:

So exciting!

Mind yourself tigeress x

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Congrats Cat, super fast delivery.

Great that your waters went and then you went into labour, after going over due last time.

I had a feeling it was a girl when you didnt find out what you were having, but of course everyone says that when they know what you had.

I have one person choosen to mind the baby while I go to have this one, maybe I should add a few more to the list?

Big congrats Cat - am delighted for you :) If you had to wait for me your baby would never be out LOL!!

I had a bit of a show when I was up to pee during the night - when I say 'a bit of a show' I literally mean just some dark discolouration on the tissue -not enough to be the mucus plug or anything- but it is encouraging! ( I hope that's not too much detail for you guys!)
    Nothing yet today but am feeling more positive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Congrats Cat, that's great news!

I've just come back from my latest doctor's appt, the baby's head is down which is great. I think I freaked my poor husband out when I told him that though, I think he thought that it meant that the baby was on the way - I assured him it was normal for the baby to be head down with 5 weeks to go! :D

Hope everyone else is doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

congrats Cat! :D

Cunning, hope your baby makes an appearance soon! :)

nothing's moving here - getting really impatient and tired of it all. On top of that, my physio told me yesterday that they had 38 births in that hospital last weekend - so it's REALLY busy at the moment. not want I wanted to hear...:o Is it wrong to expect everyone's full attention and focus JUST on me cause I am having our first child? And not wanting to share the care with tons of other people? :rolleyes: really afraid that I'll miss out on something important cause staff will be too busy...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Well, you're not going to be happy with me so, seeing as I was waiting for you to lead the way...

Contrary to all expectations of going overdue, at 11 pm on Sat night my waters went and our little girl (shocked and stunned, sure it was another boy!) was born after an extremely quick labour at 3.16am, weighing in at 7lb10, a little titch compared to her bruiser of a brother. It was all a bit mad. My three designated and on-call childminders (sisters & brother) decided there was no way I'd be giving birth before next week and decided to get pissed together (they rarely drink) so I had to get my other sister to drive up from Cork - she did the usually nearly 2 hour trip in an hour :eek:

It was a great experience though, I'll post up all the details on the birth stories thread. They let us out of the hospital yesterday, it was so lovely to be home - my 'good sister' had the house like a hotel and has been fab minding the little lad and bringing me tea. In-laws arrive tomorrow (supposedly in plenty of time for the birth!) so I'll be queening it for the next fortnight. Bliss!

Cunning Stunt, hope it soon starts for you, and that everyone else is keeping well!

awww Cat that's excellent news! Congratulations and welcome to the world ickle lady! Lucky you with all the people looking after you, enjoy!

Any names?

Come on Cunning Stunt...get that baby out! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

Wow purplecat congratulations! Sorry to read you had such a tough time of it. I hope the ickle ones are thriving well and I hope you have them home by Christmas, what a present that would be!

I'm not sure if I'm remembering you correctly, but are you the lady that was attending Holles Street and had problems with your bp? Is that why you had the emergency section? Is that why you feel you let them down?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's just I know exactly how you feel.
    I hope this makes sense, if you're not the lady I'm thinking of I'm very sorry for the waffle biggrin.gifredface.gif
    Hi Hannibal: sorry about the delay in getting back to you, we were up with them last night and they are doing loads better. Yes I am the lady you are on about I had high bp from early start in my pregnancy which progress into pre-clamcia, this is the reason to my emergency section but also while in hospital they put me on a 24hr urine collection, the problem was I was drinking but not passing enough urine. So the blood tests revealed that my kidneys and liver where going into shut down, this is reason for the emergency c-section. The reason I feel I let them down, is because my own body failed me, and I find it hard to cope with this now, I blame myself them having to spend weeks in ICU .
    Purplecat, great to hear from you and that both babies are doing so well. Fingers crossed they'll be home for Christmas. Hopefully by that stage you'll be much better too.
    Tigeress wrote: »
    Purplecat, sorry to hear you're still not well frown.gif and I have all my fingers & toes crossed that your little ones get home for Xmas! What a present that'd be smile.gif
    I hope that they will be home for christmas it would be brilliant, but looking at them now, its difficult to see

Contrary to all expectations of going overdue, at 11 pm on Sat night my waters went and our little girl (shocked and stunned, sure it was another boy!) was born after an extremely quick labour at 3.16am, weighing in at 7lb10, a little titch compared to her bruiser of a brother. It was all a bit mad. My three designated and on-call childminders (sisters & brother) decided there was no way I'd be giving birth before next week and decided to get pissed together (they rarely drink) so I had to get my other sister to drive up from Cork - she did the usually nearly 2 hour trip in an hour eek.gif

Congratulations Cat, I hope mum and baby are doing well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ah Purplecat, don't be so hard on yourself. I had pre-eclampsia too. It's a rotten bad luck of a thing and the worst thing is you can have it on your first pregnancy and you may never get it on any other. It really just is rotten bad luck, but it's an illness like any other and if you developed any other illness you'd never blame yourself for it, so don't do it on this.

I know you're not going to take it on board, I certainly didn't when others tried to convince me it wasn't my fault either and I was lucky enough that I was 36 weeks when it hit me so my fella didn't have any time in ICU. But you've been through the wars, preserve all your energy for getting yourself better and ready to welcome your two gorgeous bundles home.

Cunning I hope that little show is the start :) have you everything ready?

I had my lat Antenatal Class today.. All my friends kept going on about a video they show & I was weirdly interested in seeing it but they never showed it :(
    34+3 today can't believe it's only 5+4 till my due date! I have to say when the Doc signed me off work in Oct I was crazy bored all day but I'm actually enjoying sitting on my bum & relaxing all day :) baby is very active these days, they've always been wiggly but the kicks seem to be constant & very sore.. It never gets old seeing a little foot/knee or whatever sticking out of my tummy lol!

Ok seriously I feel like I've ran a marathon or something not cleaned & swept the kitchen!! It wasn't even that dirty it was just your standard clean up after dinner! I'm wrecked now... Anyone else getting this tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Huge Congratualations Cat on the birth of your baby girl :)

Great to hear babs is finally turning for you Tigeress, not long now, I'm so excited for you :)

21 weeks now and getting a little more uncomfortable, OH is on shoe tying duties now :). However I'm also feeling like I'm constipated though I am able to go to the toilet, is this because babs is getting bigger and things inside are getting squashed???

Just 6 more days until my 'big' scan, hope I can find out the sex but I'll be happy just to hear everything is going as it should :)

Wow MS 21 weeks already :) on the countdown now hehe! I hope ya get to find out & it's not like our little one who hides eerytime they try check lol! Are you in Dublin? I hear they're great for the 'big' scan.. We didn't get one here in Laois as they only do standard scans.. But as we've seen baba so much we didn't mind but seen loads of disappointed faces leaving the clinic over the months! I'm dying to hear how ya get on :D

Yeah I'm delighted they've finally turned although the GP thinks they might have gone back to breech?! Guess we'll know for sure on 30th Nov! So excited now to meet this little one! I'm so done with being preg now lol!

Are you feeling movements yet? Have ya started buying? I just love baby shopping! We were in Mothercare today & they have little Xmas Babygrows & I really wanted to get one but at 19.50 I said no as there is no way of knowing if this little Peanut will be here by then & would be too small for next year! I told my OH that if they cone before he's to go get one for Xmas Day hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congratulations Cat on the birth of your little girl!!! Glad to hear all went well :)

Cunning hopefully you're not too far behind & that bit of show last night is a sign things could happen soon :)

Tigeress that's fantastic that baby is no longer breech!! excellent news!!

Ms2011, that's brill that you're getting your big scan so soon, so exciting the possibility of finding out the sex too :)

Galah I think that's only reasonable hoping you'll get their undivided attention for such an important event in your life.
    When I went in to have my daughter the hospital was crazy busy, but I have to say when it came down to the job in hand all the staff were very much focused on me and getting baby out safely.
    Ok so they weren't around a huge amount after I had baby but I didn't mind at that point!
    Hopefully you'll have some movement soon :)

Quins5, sounds like you had a brill scan! so lovely that baby was so animated at the time! Great to have your dates brought a bit closer too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Congrats cat!!!! Can't wait to hear her name!!

Cunning - hope your doing ok??!

Posted the below in the moan thread but wanna put here too incase anyone else going thru same and has advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Im worried... The last 3/4 days I'm finding it painful to walk - my pelvic bone seems to be hurting - its just when I walk or go up stairs or try to lift my leg to put trousers on etc - I'm really worried about it possibly being spd? I have to work standing on my feet all day and can't go off sick for anything for another 6 weeks as I am self employed and have no cover. I'm 26 + 4 now... Think will try get a bump support and some physio if it doesn't go in next few days - could it be anything else?[/Quote

• Advertisement

I am doing fine, thanks for asking - am still pregnant!
    Nothing to report since that little show I had, the night before last.
    I will be sure to update you all when something finally does happen :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Dublinlady - without giving medical advice (:D) - that's exactly what I have as well, and I've been told it's SPD....It feels like your hips/pelvic is breaking apart, things like walking are very difficult, putting on socks (or lifting your leg to shave) are torture, and so is trying to get out of bed...Get yourself to a physio as soon as you can! I found them fantastic so far - while the releif only lasts for a couple of days, it's better than nothing!

Also try and get a support belt to make walking that little bit easier. I got mine for free through the hospital - it's defo worth checking with them! Especially if you're on your feet all day!!!

Cap - thanks for easing my mind a bit. I really hope they're not that busy when I go in though...:)

Nothing moving here otherwise - all quiet.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

galah wrote: »
    Dublinlady - without giving medical advice (:D) - that's exactly what I have as well, and I've been told it's SPD....It feels like your hips/pelvic is breaking apart, things like walking are very difficult, putting on socks (or lifting your leg to shave) are torture, and so is trying to get out of bed...Get yourself to a physio as soon as you can! I found them fantastic so far - while the releif only lasts for a couple of days, it's better than nothing!

Also try and get a support belt to make walking that little bit easier. I got mine for free through the hospital - it's defo worth checking with them! Especially if you're on your feet all day!!!

im pretty much the same but not quiet as bad and it comes and goes. i went to physio in hospital, they had a walk in spd clinic and i got the support belt free also. it def works for me. just feels good like it pulls everything together! def try get one!

galah wrote: »

Cap - thanks for easing my mind a bit. I really hope they're not that busy when I go in though...:)

Nothing moving here otherwise - all quiet.:rolleyes:

Dublin Lady, I second everything galah has said.

I'm just back from physio, it was a bit rushed compared to last time but the lady had sciatica exactly the same as me on her 2nd pregnancy.

She gave me a support belt, the same one a friend lent me last time, to be worn at all time while in work, (I'm also standing all day, 9+ hours).

Also she told me to sit on the gym ball and after a while to bounce slightly, to tone stomach muscles.

I really felt like she understood what agrivated the pain.

She went through questions and I answered yes to everything.

Even because of the parking in the hospital, it took me 15 mins to walk from the car park with 2 rests!

I'm back in 2 weeks to see if there's any improvment.

So for the first time in weeks feel positive this I can do something else other than paracetamol.

Dublin Lady, get the hospital consultant to refer you to the physio dept. This is the way you have to do it, if you dont have a medical card. Because I didnt know this, I wasted 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Tigeress wrote: »
    Wow MS 21 weeks already :) on the countdown now hehe! I hope ya get to find out & it's not like our little one who hides eerytime they try check lol! Are you in Dublin? I hear they're great for the 'big' scan.. We didn't get one here in Laois as they only do standard scans.. But as we've seen baba so much we didn't mind but seen loads of disappointed faces leaving the clinic over the months! I'm dying to hear how ya get on :D

Yeah I'm delighted they've finally turned although the GP thinks they might have gone back to breech?! Guess we'll know for sure on 30th Nov! So excited now to meet this little one! I'm so done with being preg now lol!

Are you feeling movements yet? Have ya started buying? I just love baby shopping! We were in Mothercare today & they have little Xmas Babygrows & I really wanted to get one but at 19.50 I said no as there is no way of knowing if this little Peanut will be here by then & would be too small for next year! I told my OH that if they cone before he's to go get one for Xmas Day hehe

Yep I'm in Dublin. Considering the midwife could bearly pin down babs long enough to hear a couple of seconds of heartbeat last week I'm not holding my breath that he/she will stay still long enough for us to see it's gender but here's hoping. I'm so nervous about this scan just in case anything is found to be wrong that I'm just concentrating on hopefully finding out the sex so as not to drive myself insane with the 'what if's' :rolleyes:

I've been feeling movements for the past few weeks but they are getting stronger and stronger all the time, I just hate when he/she decides to have a long rest with no movement and gives me a heart attack that somethings wrong only to start kicking away again :p

I've just about everything bought now, my sister is doing me up a basket with all the lotions, soothers, bottles, nappy bags etc. in it which is a great relief as she has had 3 kids so knows exactly what to look for. I've walked into Mothercare twice with the intention of buying that stuff but got so intimidated by 'what was best' that I ended up leaving empty handed :o

I'm so jealous of all of you that are going to have your babies for Christmas, I'd love to buy one of the tiny Christmas babygros, they are sooo cute :)

Dublinlady, I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain, I've no advice for you but just to say I hope you feel better soon, what you describe sounds so painful plus having to stand all day must be dreadful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

last night my baby enjoyed a lot of stretching. i thought he/she might have emerged through my belly!! i loved it. i was also having some lower abdominal pain which im thinking was stretching pain. baby is prob goin tru a growth spurt. he/she liked to kick the sore bits!!

then when baby is quiet for a long period i freak myself out thinking somethin is wrong. madness!

32 weeks tomorrow!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Went for my O'Sullivan diabetes test today...had to fast over night, get blood test at t=0, drink glucose solution, another blood test after 1 hour, and then another after 2 hours. I feel like a pincushion! :) I've never felt so happy to get home and have a cup of tea and a bit of toast! (I'm afraid of needles and I'm terrible when it comes to blood tests).

Yesterday I organised a midwife for my antenatal classes, she seems very nice, on the same wavelength as me, she works with the clinic where I will give birth, and she does individual classes. Another thing I like is that she works with 3 other midwives and every Tuesday they have mother and baby groups and breastfeeding advice groups so after the birth they will still be supporting me.

Oh and I actually slept for a full night last night, yippee!

Hope everyone is doing OK today.

I am actually getting my ass out of the house today to do some browsing in the shops with a friend of mine, looking for xmas gift inspiration. Am even cleaned up and wearing makeup for the first time in nearly 5 weeks of maternity leave.:D

Maybe a trip around the shops is the push this baba needs (though 2 dog walks a day hasn't helped so far!!)

Could do, I got a funny feeling walking down the stairs in Pennys the day my waters broke!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Got a bit of a shock today. Looked at my pregnancy app (which I'd given a bit of a miss lately) and realised that I'm down to 4+3! :o I'm not sure I'm really ready to begin that final 4 week countdown! Luckily himself is back from a work conference in the US in the morning so I'll be a little happier then.

The tip of the day in my app was for daddies - make sure you have your phone fully charged and with you every moment of the day from now on! eek!:o

Advertisement