Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Slept ten hrs with only one pee break at half 4!!! Delighted with myself!!
    Hope ye all doin ok!
    Really need to start working on my pelvic floor exercises.... Coughing and sneezing has become terrifying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

dublinlady wrote: »
    Slept ten hrs with only one pee break at half 4!!! Delighted with myself!!
    Hope ye all doin ok!
    Really need to start working on my pelvic floor exercises.... Coughing and sneezing has become terrifying!!!

I'm so jealous!!! 10 hours!! What's the secret DL?? Hehee on the sneezing! I was doing them daily for ages & then just forgot about them for weeks :-o but the sneezing and coughing caused a few minor oopsys & reminded me lol!

So does anyone believe in all these Old Wives Tales for bringing on labour? I don't think I do... I'll eat loads of curry though hehe but only cause I love it! :-)
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Tigeress wrote: »
    So does anyone believe in all these Old Wives Tales for bringing on labour? I don't think I do... I'll eat loads of curry though hehe but only cause I love it! :-)

I need some success stories! I'm 3 days overdue now, baby's still kicking away in there, no sign of coming out :(

Even though I know that the due date is basically just a guess, it's still disheartening every day that nothing happens!

ceadaoin. wrote: »

I need some success stories! I'm 3 days overdue now, baby's still kicking away in there, no sign of coming out :(

Even though I know that the due date is basically just a guess, it's still disheartening every day that nothing happens!

Aww Ceadaoin hope your little one comes out soon! I'm counting down the days till my DD but I know if he's not here by then it'll drive me mad even though I know over 50% of pregnancies go over..
    Have you tried the super hot Indian Curries? I don't think any of them actually work but maybe someone else has a success story??! Keep us updated :-)

• Advertisement

Aww Ceadaoin hope your little one comes out soon! I'm counting down the days till my DD but I know if he's not here by then it'll drive me mad even though I know over 50% of pregnancies go over..
    Have you tried the super hot Indian Curries? I don't think any of them actually work but maybe someone else has a success story??! Keep us updated :-)

I usually like curries but just not in the mood for one. I might have to try one tomorrow though. My OH always gets a super hot vindaloo, maybe thats the way to go :D

From reading up on it, the only natural induction method that works seems to be castor oil. I really don't want to go down that road though, sounds deeply unpleasant. Who knows though, another few days and I might be tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I know it's a strange sort of feeling too :-) how are you doing hun? Is the belt helping the SPD at all? You must be at the halfway mark now? It's mad it doesnt feel that long since I was on the TTC site saying I got my positive & you too 5 penguin bars hehe!

I'm doing great thanks :) the back pain seems to have all but gone now.
    It seems to have coincided with developing my proper bump, so I think it was just ligaments stretching that cause all the pain. fingers crossed anyway as I'm enjoying not having to walk like a 90 year old woman :D

Yep officially 2 weeks + past the midway mark!

I hope you get plenty of rest now when you finish work. I enjoyed that time so much, had plenty of good books to read.
    Don't think I'll get so much rest this time round with a 2 year old running around :D

ceadaoin hopefully baby will get the hint and evacuate soon! I tried oodles of pineapple, tonic water to no avail.
    I think the only thing that worked for me in the end was moderate excercise! Not that I felt remotely in the form for walking, but I dragged the other half out for several uphill walks in the field beside my house to try move things on.
    That said, I was 2 weeks over at that stage and desperate to get things moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

well,first day of maternity leave is going great! :D felt a bit guilty leaving the little fella into the creche today when I'm not working but it's nice to get a bit of time to myself, have been cleaning like a mad woman all morning. Thought I'd take a few mins out to catch up on how everyone is doing.
    We didn't have a great weekend, the little fella got a bit of a scalding with some boiling water, he stuck his hand in it when I was pouring it into the bath. I know, my own stupid fault but luckily he seems grand. His hand is a bit red but it's not causing him any pain so that's good at least. I've felt so guilty all weekend though :( I keep trying to tell myself that accidents happen but it's not helping much.

Anyway, hope everyone else's weekend was better than mine!

Has anyone found using raspberry leaf any good? I started the capsules the other day and as soon as I got any kind of a twinge I'd think 'Oh, here we go' but of course nothing yet! That said, I think I lost a bit of my mucus plug this morning (sorry if TMI!!) but could still be weeks yet!

Ceadaoin my sister swears by that liquid parafin but I wouldn't use it myself either.. Plus it's disgusting lol!

Cap that's amazing that you're 22 weeks already! Are you gonna find out what your having? Delighted that your back pain has gone! Sounds like everything is going great for ya :-) xx

Well I'm the most uncomfortable I've ever been in my life! I think he's finally engaged! I have my hosp appoint on Wed looking forward to it :-)

• Advertisement

Cottontail wrote: »

Has anyone found using raspberry leaf any good? I started the capsules the other day and as soon as I got any kind of a twinge I'd think 'Oh, here we go' but of course nothing yet! That said, I think I lost a bit of my mucus plug this morning (sorry if TMI!!) but could still be weeks yet!

Aww Cottontail it's not your fault with your little fella but I can totally understand the feeling awful about it! Hope his little hand heals up quick xx

I plan on asking the hospital on Wed if I can start taking the Raspberry Capsules, I don't wanna start taking them without asking 1st :-o but my friend has 2 babies & she swore by them! That's a good sign with the mucus plug going!! I though mine did a few days ago so I called the hospital & they said as there was no blood it wasn't.. Hopefully it means your little boy is coming soon :-) enjoy your maternity leave I started mine yest & although I've been off work sick it feels great to finally be here lol! Have they told you about your boys weight? I was in 2 weeks ago & he's already 3.6kg so if he's grown alot more by Wed they said they might induce.. I'm not holding out hope though!

Cottontail wrote: »

I've been drinking the tea since about 36 weeks. Obviously it hasn't had much effect on getting labour started for me! I like the taste though and according to some studies, women who use it tend to have a shorter 2nd stage of labour so I'm sticking with it.

Hopefully the mucus is a good sign for you!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I drank rasberry leaf tea towards the end of both pregnancies I had a 3 hour labour and a 45 minute labour:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I drank rasberry leaf tea towards the end of both pregnancies I had a 3 hour labour and a 45 minute labour:)

That's an amazing incentive if ever I heard one :-)
    I'm 38w 2d can I start taking the raspberry capsules? Do chemists sell it or do I have to go to a health shop? :)

I was told you can take the raspberry leaf from 37 weeks. Also, i think the tea is more effective than the capsules. Be warned though - it's not yummy. And don't store it in the press - it made all our biscuits and things smell/taste like raspberry leaf - yuk!!

At our ante-natal classes we were told that the only reliable way to bring on labour is sex - twice in 10 hours. I have to say I was not tempted to follow this advice until 10 days over. It worked though - did't even have to do it twice!! And I was pushing for 10 mins only (and she was nearly 9lb) so maybe the raspberry leaf was good for something!!

Also, I would advise anyone near the end of pregnancy to seriously consider perineal massage. It's never too late to start. Even less fun than the tea but proven to seriously reduce damage to the sensitive areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Agree with everything above. I really liked the taste of raspberry leaf tea, I missed coffee so much, this took over. I went early last time, 12 hrs start to finish. I get it in the health food shop, €2.15 for 20 bags. I've been drinking it with 3 weeks but I've only finished off an old box I had last time, I got my new supply today.

Yeasterday I went to physio, it was brilliant. There's a new car park in the hospital, miles away from the physio dept, by the time I got from the car to the dept, I was in tears with the pain. The physio was soooo nice, she hooked my up to a tens machine and a heat pack and I was cured for a few hours. I have my own tens machine at home so I've has 3 sessions since than and I feel much better.

Today, I had a hospital appointment, head is down, he's ready to exit! Midwife made appointment for 10th of Jan (37wks) and said she's be surprised if I didnt have the baby by then! Really need to pack that hospital bag.

Feel much better, now I'm on maternity leave.

Yey for being on Maternity Leave WM! Delighted that the tens is helping the pains! I know how ya feel.. It's rotten! You really would wanna get those bags packed too! You're not allowed go before me though :-p

Thanks for the advise Cuddles & WM on the tea! I'm gonna get some tomorrow but can't imagine myself liking it as I hate herbal teas in general & I've heard it tastes like warm kiora?!

I'm back in the hospital tomorrow & hoping they'll agree to induce me! I've been too'ing & fro'ing about induction but I'm so sore & exhausted that I'll be begging them tomorrow.. I haven't slept at all in the last few nights & I mean at all :-( I feel like the walking dead.. Can't wait to meet my little man now!
    Cottontail how are you getting on? You must be on the 10 day countdown now! 12 for me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Ceadaoin my sister swears by that liquid parafin but I wouldn't use it myself either.. Plus it's disgusting lol!

Cap that's amazing that you're 22 weeks already! Are you gonna find out what your having? Delighted that your back pain has gone! Sounds like everything is going great for ya :-) xx

Well I'm the most uncomfortable I've ever been in my life! I think he's finally engaged! I have my hosp appoint on Wed looking forward to it :-)

Best of luck with your hospital appt tomorrow :) fingers crossed he is engaged and will make an exit for you very soon!

Yes hoping to find out the sex when I have my next appt (Jan 16 :) )

wmpd33 that's brill that the signs are looking good for baby to arrive on time or even early!
    Brill you got such relief with the physio too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had my third antenatal class yesterday with the midwife, it was great. My partner came with me, and so the midwife explained what will happen in the clinic and that he can come and go out of the labour ward as he wants. Also that his role is the coach. She also explained all about the epidural, so I am not so worried if I do decide to have one. I'm feeling more and more comfortable about the labour!

Next week I will have another class, and the big gyny apt.

Hope all you other ladies are gettin on grand!

Best of luck, Tigeress, hope the little one makes an appearance soon!

I had my third antenatal class yesterday with the midwife, it was great. My partner came with me, and so the midwife explained what will happen in the clinic and that he can come and go out of the labour ward as he wants. Also that his role is the coach. She also explained all about the epidural, so I am not so worried if I do decide to have one. I'm feeling more and more comfortable about the labour!

Next week I will have another class, and the big gyny apt.

Hope all you other ladies are gettin on grand!

Best of luck, Tigeress, hope the little one makes an appearance soon!

Yeah I had a day long class there on Saturday and feel a lot more confident about the labour now!

Tigress I can't believe how close you are!!!!!

What's the story if the baby is facing the wrong way? Had a scan yesterday and the baby was head down but facing my belly? Is that ok? I know I'm Only 30&1/2 weeks so plenty time for her to turn! Just wondering! She's measuring 31&1/2 weeks so I'm hoping she'll come a week early!!!! Doubt it tho!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

dublinlady wrote: »
    Yeah I had a day long class there on Saturday and feel a lot more confident about the labour now!

Tigress I can't believe how close you are!!!!!

What's the story if the baby is facing the wrong way? Had a scan yesterday and the baby was head down but facing my belly? Is that ok? I know I'm Only 30&1/2 weeks so plenty time for her to turn! Just wondering! She's measuring 31&1/2 weeks so I'm hoping she'll come a week early!!!! Doubt it tho!!

Oh I have no idea about the direction the baby is facing...I just presumed the baby faced out (towards the tummy)! Need to inform myself!

Thanks for the good luck messages ladies :-)
    Ivy & DL great to hear you got on so well with the Antenatal Classes!

Well I had my appoint & they were shocked to say the least.. My little boy is perfect but in 2 weeks had put on a Kilo!! He is now measuring at 4.4kg which is very big for my dates.. (the scan machines only give a guestimate so they don't know for sure his weight but he feels big!) so as I'm 38+3 they won't do anything until 39 weeks so the plan is I've to go back on next Wed 21st & they're doing a sweep! But.... He's not engaged & they're a little worried the reason he's not engaged is he's too big! In the case of I go in on Wed and he's still not engaged they are gonna induce me by the end of the week as they don't want me to go over 40 weeks.. So I find out on Wed what's happening but they've told me they want him out next week so fingers crossed all will go well! I'm a little nervous about the labour & the fact that he'll hopefully be here next week.. I'm excited too though :-) so that's all of it.. The Doc & Midwife were so nice today & really put my mind at ease :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Well I had my appoint & they were shocked to say the least.. My little boy is perfect but in 2 weeks had put on a Kilo!! He is now measuring at 4.4kg which is very big for my dates.. (the scan machines only give a guestimate so they don't know for sure his weight but he feels big!) so as I'm 38+3 they won't do anything until 39 weeks so the plan is I've to go back on next Wed 21st & they're doing a sweep! But.... He's not engaged & they're a little worried the reason he's not engaged is he's too big! In the case of I go in on Wed and he's still not engaged they are gonna induce me by the end of the week as they don't want me to go over 40 weeks.. So I find out on Wed what's happening but they've told me they want him out next week so fingers crossed all will go well! I'm a little nervous about the labour & the fact that he'll hopefully be here next week.. I'm excited too though :-) so that's all of it.. The Doc & Midwife were so nice today & really put my mind at ease :-)

Try not to worry, the scans are only estimated. I was told at 33 wks that my son was already 5.5lbs, he was only 6lb6oz when he was born at 37.5 wks :)

Try not to worry, the scans are only estimated. I was told at 33 wks that my son was already 5.5lbs, he was only 6lb6oz when he was born at 37.5 wks :)

Oh tigress that's great news!!! You'll have ur little bundle for Xmas hopefully!!! I agree about the weight... I've heard it's always wrong!!
    Sure I was told test the baby is almost 4lbs??!!! I'm only 30 weeks so I seriously doubt it!!!! If they measure a little off then it's totally off!! Sure at that rate my baby will be coming out with a backpack on ready for school!!!!! Haha! ;)

Cottontail how are you getting on? You must be on the 10 day countdown now! 12 for me :-)[/QUOTE]

I'm getting on great, thanks. I've 9 days left now (I think, due 23rd). Was at the clinic this morning and they told me that this baby would probably be smaller than the last one (he was 8lb 4oz).

I've got the house more or less cleaned now and i'm just winding down now, feeling very lazy I must say!! I cleaned the floors yesterday then the little fella came home from the creche yesterday and there were cheerios all over the place half an hour later, and chalk on the floor. funny how a 2 year old whirlwind can destroy a day's work in minutes!!

Someone mentioned there that their labour was very short after taking the raspberry leaf tea - there might be something in that, one of the women in the ante natal class last week said that she went 10 days over but her labour was only 3 hrs and she had taken the tea as well. Must put on the kettle.... :pac:

Oh Yay!! that's fantastic news, I hope it all goes really well. You could have a special little Christmas present yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Quins5

Hi guys,

Thats great news Tigeress! You could have your little bundle in no time!:D
    We had a scan yesterday and baby looked great, kicking away, she never gave us an idea of size tho and we forgot to ask, 3wks, 5 days left...... Yay! Roll on the day we meet our little bundle!

The midwife spoke to us yesterday about different ideas for preparing for the birth, she said to start taking Raspberry leaf tea (Im sipping away on a cup at the mo ;)) that it ripens the cervix.

She also said the only true method is Sex. Haha! I was breaking my @ss laughing at her! im smothered in a cold and cant really lie down for long due to coughing fits and thinking my bump is going to ripe off! She said the prostegen(spelt wrong) gel they give you at induction is the synthetic form of enzymes found in sperm! Who knew!?! So anyway I think I'll wait til closer to the time and til this stupid cough is gone :)

Hope you are all keeping well
    x

Thanks ladies :-) I'm not too worries about his size weirdly enough I'm more nervous about the labour in general.. I'm
    Such a wimp with pain :o but I know he's gotta come out lol.. Here's hoping next Wed flys through! I'd love to have him & be home ontime for Xmas :-) it'd make the perfect Xmas Present!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh Tigeress, you must be in shock!!

Imagine finding out what day(ish) the baby will come?

Did they say your cervix was softened or anything? If the head isnt down do they expect him to engage when labour starts? I have no idea how that works, I must get googling just in case.

If all else fails, you can always get the gel / drip and then the epidural just after. My cousin did this on all her kids.

Going by the post above, maybe you should go on a diet of sex 3 times a day.

Best of luck either way.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Oh Tigeress, you must be in shock!!

Imagine finding out what day(ish) the baby will come?

Did they say your cervix was softened or anything? If the head isnt down do they expect him to engage when labour starts? I have no idea how that works, I must get googling just in case.

If all else fails, you can always get the gel / drip and then the epidural just after. My cousin did this on all her kids.

Going by the post above, maybe you should go on a diet of sex 3 times a day.

Best of luck either way.

Yeah a little shocked lol but excited to meet him :-) very anxious to just get it done & dusted!
    She didn't say anything about my cervix just that he isn't engaged yet! They can induce if he's not engaged & it encourages him to engage but it does pose a higher risk of a section apparently.. It's just a wait and see at the mo till next Wed & see where he is & go from there..

Lol with the sex diet! I think I'll pass on that for the mo... Way to uncomfortable, but my OH would be ok with it ;-p hehe!

Advertisement