Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I am incapable of making a decision, if I'm asked something, I just turn to my partner and ask him to decide. This is not me at all, how am I going to return to work???

lol I can definitely relate to this. Had such a stupid day when over with my sister earlier in the week, couldn't answer no brainer questions like did I want the lovely fresh biscuits she had baked to take home with me :o

Gutted to hear your sisters aren't for rent (how bad does that sound!), I'd love someone to volunteer to tidy my house top to bottom. I'll live in hope!
    On my last pregnancy my sis came over to 'help' after I had baby, I thought it might extend to tidying the house/putting a meal or 2 on (she's a fab chef), but the help was limited to cuddling baby while I did all the work :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Years ago I went to visit my partners brother and wife after they had their first kid. I didnt really know her so after I say the baby I helped my partners mother clean the house and do the washing and washing up. She remarked later why I didnt like babies!! Were very good friends now but calling over and helping out just didnt really happen like that in her country. !

I'll ask for any help going and I was asked today if I needed anything for the new baby boy and I had no qualms saying, socks and hooded towels. Better to get what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

lol I can definitely relate to this. Had such a stupid day when over with my sister earlier in the week, couldn't answer no brainer questions like did I want the lovely fresh biscuits she had baked to take home with me :o

I stood at the alarm box yesterday trying to remember the code to turn the alarm off when I got home. You only get 20 seconds to put the code in so the alarm went off, they should have a default switch for turning it off for absent minded pregnant ladies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Yup, the stupid days are coming thick and fast:rolleyes:. Stirred scrambled eggs on cooker for 5 mins or so yesterday before realising I hadn't turned the cooker on. Had to pull in on the side of the road last night because I couldn't remember how to switch on my hi beams. Jesus Christ:(

Ah, I dont feel so bad now, I put the remote control in the dishwasher a few weeks ago, I cant live it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

I got my store of baby clothes from my attic earlier in the week only to discover that all the neutral items have little discoloured beige stains around the front. They went up perfect about 4 year ago. I washed them hoping that it was just my imagination and surprisingly they still smelled fresh considering. After they dried the stains still visible - so now they are sitting in a large tub with stain remover and whitener - will be well peed of ie the stains don't disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

MaxCharlie, if you can get your hands on a box of Napisan it's brilliant for bleaching clothes and isn't too hard on delicate's either.

The same thing happened to me. I was sure baby no.1's vests were pure white going up into the attic but half of them had yellow necks after the washing. Must try Napisan, would never have though of that. I'll use it on all the muslins too, I might not have to buy any more if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Going to bed the night before the due date. Bump seems to have dropped - is that a sign of anything? Baby is making me quite uncomfortable at the moment - between sitting on my hips (that's the only way I can describe it) and some movement sending shooting pains down my groin muscle... Tell me, (possible TMI) should my private area be painful? Cos it's not nice...

I remember that, my maternity clothes stopped fitting me. I think my hips actually moved apart!

Remember you can call the maternity dept of your hospital at anytime and ask them for their opinion, they wont mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

nicowa wrote: »
    Going to bed the night before the due date. Bump seems to have dropped - is that a sign of anything? Baby is making me quite uncomfortable at the moment - between sitting on my hips (that's the only way I can describe it) and some movement sending shooting pains down my groin muscle... Tell me, (possible TMI) should my private area be painful? Cos it's not nice...

I'm feeling the same Nicowa! My bump has dropped but I've been told that when he engages you know cause it almost feels like the baby will fall out! (anyone who's had a baby any thoughts on this? I'm not sure it's true for everyone) I have the pains in my groin alot too, I said it to the Doc last week when I was in at my appoint & she said it's normal at the end.. I do find that the pain is so bad at times that I'm holding my groin to ease the pressure (sorry for tmi!) I think the bump dropping is a good sign! Hopefully we won't be waiting too much longer! I can't wait for my appoint on Wed to see if yet can do the sweep for me or if not I'll be getting my induction date :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

nicowa wrote: »

Something's stirring nicowa!!! Bump dropping usually means action coming soon, saying that my friend was at least 5 days like that! Don't know about the pains I'm afraid! Hope your ok! Exciting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

On the baby brain, Ive been staring blankly at shop assistants who ask me if I would like the item gift wrapped!

Bought my first maternity wear today. Just a little dress and leggings. I cannot tlell you how good it felt pulling the legging up and not have it sticking into my belly all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

kildareash wrote: »
    On the baby brain, Ive been staring blankly at shop assistants who ask me if I would like the item gift wrapped!

Bought my first maternity wear today. Just a little dress and leggings. I cannot tlell you how good it felt pulling the legging up and not have it sticking into my belly all the time!

That is the best feeling!

Last night was high-lar-ious... Snuggled into himself before going to sleep and then had to turn over to get my handy bottle of gaviscon - cue much laughter cos I literally couldn't turn! I couldn't sit up, I couldn't roll. I don't know where baby was sitting but it meant I couldn't physically fold my body... :o sort of a if-you-don't-laugh-you'll-cry situation... :o

Don't feel like baby is going to fall out today Tigress so I guess I'll just have to wait a bit more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

kildareash wrote: »

I love my giant maternity tights!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Hi Guys.. Just wondering... I'm 17 weeks and 3 days today.. the last time I felt movement (i started to feel movement last week) was Friday and I havent since.. Is this normal? I have an appointment tomorrow in the hosp to see the doctor but just wondering would the baby be lying further in or something... I am thinking of the worst and I'm bloody nervous now about tomorrow.. :(.. I'm not looking for medical advice just exerience advice.. it's my 1st baby....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

cocoemma wrote: »
    Hi Guys.. Just wondering... I'm 17 weeks and 3 days today.. the last time I felt movement (i started to feel movement last week) was Friday and I havent since.. Is this normal? I have an appointment tomorrow in the hosp to see the doctor but just wondering would the baby be lying further in or something... I am thinking of the worst and I'm bloody nervous now about tomorrow.. :(.. I'm not looking for medical advice just exerience advice.. it's my 1st baby....

are u sure it was movement you felt? 17 weeks is very early for 1st baby to feel movement. Anyways I'm sure all is fine but if you are worried to be on the safe side give the hosp or your gp a call and they can have a listen in and put your mind to rest.
    No point spending today and tonight worrying, good luck, you'll be fine I bet :)

cocoemma wrote: »

As Sittingpretty said, 17 weeks is very early to feel movement. In my own personal experience (I'm 31 weeks now), when I started to feel movement it was quite sporadic at first (not feeling something everyday, not always sure if it was movement). But as said before, best thing you can do is call your GP, they will be able to reassure you. I know it's not very helpful of me to say "Try not to worry" but that really is the best thing! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

Thanks guys.. Yeah I'm sure, I mean it's very gentle, I've never felt anything like it before , it was like bubbling or being tickled from the inside...I wasn't expecting to feel anything till the 23rd week with it being my first baby and as well as that I thought it would get stronger so I was disappointed to feel nothing for three days..I didn't have strong tummy mucles anyway so maybe because there weak I can feel it.. I only really get it when I stop moving or when I'm lying down going to sleep.. I'm seeing the doctor in the morning so I'm going to be patient my partner thinks that it's still very early and that i have nothing to worry about.. It just got the better of me earlier.. I can actually feel it now.. humm.. I'll speak to the doc in the morning... thanks again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Where did you get them ?

• Advertisement

foodaholic wrote: »
    Where did you get them ?

They were fertilemind brand tights and I bought them in a baby shop in sligo.

They are quite pricey BUT they are very thick opaque tights (love that style, almost like leggings) AND I find the waistband holds up well (I bought some other cheaper maternity tights and I find even walking a short distance makes them slip down!).

foodaholic wrote: »

Where did you get them ?

I got really nice ones in H&M for €10! They're real comfy and sit nicely above the bump! I'm quite tall But the leggings are long so they fit perfect :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Thanks, Sligo is a bit far to go to get tights, there is a H&M near me so will give them a go.
    Cheers

Is it Wednesday yet?!?! Seriously won't come quick enough!

How's all the ladies in waiting? Any movement Cottontail or Nicowa?

I also have the H&M tights, I got a 2 pack from a friend, they are brilliant. I often have both pairs in the wash and I'm sitting waiting for them so I can get dressed again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

hey guys new to this, had my pregnancy confirmed with my doc yesterday, im 7 weeks and 5 days and its my 1st, we are over the moon,

hey guys new to this, had my pregnancy confirmed with my doc yesterday, im 7 weeks and 5 days and its my 1st, we are over the moon,

Congrats and welcome to the thread!

Congratulations & welcome :-) wishing you a happy & healthy pregnancy!

Oh I just thought of a quick question. Does anyone know of a dvd/cd for dads (like the book What to expect but for dads and not a book)? My partner is not a big reader and while he is interested in all the pregnancy stuff I feel like he doesn't know as much about what is going on as me! I'd like to get him something that he would use.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oh I just thought of a quick question. Does anyone know of a dvd/cd for dads (like the book What to expect but for dads and not a book)? My partner is not a big reader and while he is interested in all the pregnancy stuff I feel like he doesn't know as much about what is going on as me! I'd like to get him something that he would use.

Ivy, I picked up a book for my bloke in Easons - its not too technical, and quite humourous in parts - I read it in about 40mins. I will dig out the name when I get home. Its soley from a male point of view so much easier for him to relate to.

I actually found the mans section WTEWYE a little bit patronising, as in "just do whatever she tells you, no matter how irrational she is, just suck it up, and suffer in silence" kind of instructions and "you wouldnt understand because you are a man" kind of vibe off it.

I dont agree with letting even a pregnant hormonal woman away with bad behaviour or disrespect so thats why I went out to get one for himself that informs him like the partner and equal he is in this experience.

Advertisement