Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

nicowa wrote: »
    Hi girls. News update- little rebecca marie was born last night at half 9. She weighed 8 pounds 8 ounces. I'll let ye know how we got on when i get a chance.
    Cottontail wrote: »
    Congrats Tigress!
    I have my own good news to add as well...my little boy, Dashiell, was born on 27th Dec and weighed in at 7lb 13oz. all went really well, no complications at all thankfully, just got out of the hosp this morning and adjusting to life with my 2 little men!
    Tigeress wrote: »
    Baby Nathan was born today @ 4:17pm weighing 9lb 11oz & is absolutely perfect :D he's just the most amazing baby ive ever seen & so very good already :D I'll update soon xxx

Massive Congrats Nicowa xx

Congratulations to you all ladies and to the daddys on your little Christmas babies. Hope you are all well.x.x:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I did ask about an hour before 3rd stage labour could I have come orange juice or a sugary drink cos I was getting quite tired and was at a stage of tiredness where I'm cold but feverish and shivering - which, again, worried them until I copped on and explained. But she wouldn't give it to me, she said to stick with the water. Which I didn't understand really. So do bring your own. I hadn't slept in 24 hours by that stage so I was fairly understandably tired.

I was knackered and I'd been slightly sick twice, so I sent my other half off for a big glass of ice to go with the second 1 liter of lucazade I brought last time.

The midwife said something about a section, I freeked out and then she said, its fine keep drinking, you gone this far now, you will be delivering. I was pushing for 2 hours so needed a pick me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Weird question I know, but is there a knack to using that stuff, like do you have to heat it up first? I found it impossible to rub on as it was so thick, I found it more painful than anything.

Yeah you have to warm it up between your finger and thumb, so rub it together to soften it... it's like wax really... I used to sit there feeding Ellen and squeezing the tube with the lid on so that it was easier to get out of the tube when I was finished feeding lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

just wondering. i have been gettin this pain under my bump and just above the pubic hair line (sorry for tmi!:o) i know its not labour or anything. it happens usually during the night and would be there for a while. hard to get back to sleep or get comfy! ive 2 weeks to go. has anyone else experienced something like this? im thinking its prob the baby moving or lying a certain way or maybe my body getting ready. just curious if anyone else experienced somethin similar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Congratulations to all the new mums. I can't believe all your little bundles are finally here. Hope you and your babies are all doing well xxx

Red, sorry I don't know what the pain is, but I can't believe you've only 2 weeks to go! Seems like only yesterday you started the January birth thread!

• Advertisement

Round ligament pain maybe?

just wondering. i have been gettin this pain under my bump and just above the pubic hair line (sorry for tmi!:o) i know its not labour or anything. it happens usually during the night and would be there for a while. hard to get back to sleep or get comfy! ive 2 weeks to go. has anyone else experienced something like this? im thinking its prob the baby moving or lying a certain way or maybe my body getting ready. just curious if anyone else experienced somethin similar?

i got a pain like this when the head was engeges last time, like a hollow ache under the bump?

It was better after a bath....

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

i know hannibal!!! i really cant believe how fast time has gone. cant believe im actually goin to have a baby. :eek: please God all goin well.

january and wmpdd3 i think it could be a mixture of round ligament pain mixed with the babys head being engaged. maybe baby tries to escape at night when im relaxed!:rolleyes: if i get up and walk a bit it does ease. but the pain seems worse when i lie on my left side and eases when i lie on my right! madness all these wierd pains.:rolleyes: come on baby i am waiting patiently (ok maybe a little impatiently!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Congrats Cottontail :-D what a lovely name! How nice that our little men have the same birthday! Hope you're doing well x

Well just a quick update from me on the birth, I had prev posted they decided on a Section as he was in an akward position.. They decided to put me under rather than being awake, when I came round the morphine didn't work so they had to give me the max amount in 3 doses, I lost alot of blood & I have to say it was the worst thing I've ever gone through! Nathan was given to his Dad when he was 10 mins old so he looked after him & fed him for the 1st 3 hours until they let me back to the ward.. I was in so much pain that I don't remember seeing him for the 1st time & he was nearly 9 hours before I got to hold him.. It's been a hard week but finally got home yest, still Very sore & relying on my OH to help alot but he's been amazing :-D taking it all in his stride! Nathan is doing great thankfully :-) I was Breastfeeding until yest but I stopped as it was too hard & I wasn't enjoying it, very painful :-( I am pumping instead though & he's been bottle fed instead.. We'll see how it goes in the next few days!

I hope all the new Mums are doing well & enjoying their bundles as much as I am :-D best of luck to all the mums in waiting xx I'll keep an eye on the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Tigeress wrote: »
    Congrats Cottontail :-D what a lovely name! How nice that our little men have the same birthday! Hope you're doing well x

Well just a quick update from me on the birth, I had prev posted they decided on a Section as he was in an akward position.. They decided to put me under rather than being awake, when I came round the morphine didn't work so they had to give me the max amount in 3 doses, I lost alot of blood & I have to say it was the worst thing I've ever gone through! Nathan was given to his Dad when he was 10 mins old so he looked after him & fed him for the 1st 3 hours until they let me back to the ward.. I was in so much pain that I don't remember seeing him for the 1st time & he was nearly 9 hours before I got to hold him.. It's been a hard week but finally got home yest, still Very sore & relying on my OH to help alot but he's been amazing :-D taking it all in his stride! Nathan is doing great thankfully :-) I was Breastfeeding until yest but I stopped as it was too hard & I wasn't enjoying it, very painful :-( I am pumping instead though & he's been bottle fed instead.. We'll see how it goes in the next few days!

I hope all the new Mums are doing well & enjoying their bundles as much as I am :-D best of luck to all the mums in waiting xx I'll keep an eye on the thread!

Oh poor thing. Really sorry to hear that you had a difficult birth. But I'd like to think the worst is over (for myself as well). Now all we have is sleepless nights and birthday parties to look forward to! :D

Just wondering, I bought a pump yesterday (I completly understand how hard it is on the pain front, and can't say how long more I'll last if I don't get the latch completly right soon) but I can't get a drop out. Is there a special technique or should I simply keep trying? (sorry to bust in on the pregnancy thread on this one!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

What kind of pump did you get Nicowa? I was the same with the pain & I have to say the pumping is a lot easier! I have the electric medela pump and it's pretty easy to use.. You just pump the power till you think it's strong enough and milk comes out then you press a button to start the full pumping action, I spend 10-12 mins on each boob.. I don't know how the hand pumps work though.. Hope that helps! X

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Congratulations Cottontail!!! That's a beautiful name for him too, I've never heard it before. How is is big brother coping with the new arrival?

Must have a mooch over to the birth stories to catch up on how all went for you Nicowa. Brill to hear that breastfeeding has come so easy for you. I really hope it'll happen like that for me this time!

thanks! he's doing surprisingly well, he doesn't pass that much heed of the baby at all really. He came in to see us in the hospital and was more interested in my grapes than the baby.. we had to go back to the hospital for the heel prick test yesterday and he insisted on putting up the baby's hood because it was raining outside! Hopefully it's a sign of good things to come. He'll be 2 tomorrow, I can't believe that it was 2 years ago I was starting all of this over for the first time with him. it doesn't seem that long ago!

Oh poor thing. Really sorry to hear that you had a difficult birth. But I'd like to think the worst is over (for myself as well). Now all we have is sleepless nights and birthday parties to look forward to! :D

Just wondering, I bought a pump yesterday (I completly understand how hard it is on the pain front, and can't say how long more I'll last if I don't get the latch completly right soon) but I can't get a drop out. Is there a special technique or should I simply keep trying? (sorry to bust in on the pregnancy thread on this one!)

I had this problem last time, I started this thread and got loads of great advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75232625

The most I ever got out of any pump was 25ml, and I tried them all. But this time I know what I'm looking for so hopefully I'll be better prepared.

This was brilliant, the videos are great, much better than others trying to tell me or explain.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=videos

Cottontail wrote: »
    thanks! he's doing surprisingly well, he doesn't pass that much heed of the baby at all really. He came in to see us in the hospital and was more interested in my grapes than the baby.. we had to go back to the hospital for the heel prick test yesterday and he insisted on putting up the baby's hood because it was raining outside! Hopefully it's a sign of good things to come. He'll be 2 tomorrow, I can't believe that it was 2 years ago I was starting all of this over for the first time with him. it doesn't seem that long ago!

That's great to hear, I've been dying to hear how he reacted. My little one will be 16 months when baby 2 is born, so it will be a little bit different. Its mad you'll have 2 birthdays within a few days of each other and the whole lot within a week of Christmas!!

My daughter was conceived exactly 2 years ago today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Aw Cottontail that's brill that he's taking so well to his little brother :) Happy birthday to your big boy tomorrow too!
    I'm curious to see how my little girl will cope with a brother or sister. If the way she bosses her dolly around is anything to go by, we might be trouble :D though she does give her dolly lots of hugs & kisses to, so hopefully it'll balance out.

Tigeress, sorry to hear you had such a tough labour :( it must have been so difficult not being able to hold baby straight away. Sorry the breastfeeding is so painful too.
    It didn't with me either, I just could not no matter what I tried get the latch to work in a way that didn't leave me in excruciating pain.

Everyone told me it'd take a few days and the worst of the pain would pass but it didn't happen for me. At least your baby is getting the most important part, the colostrum.
    Maybe pumping for a few days will give your breasts a rest and the latch will be easier.

My bump feels MASSIVE the past 2 days! its mad, I'm like a little humpty dumpty with it :D though I'm still at that frustrating stage where my normal trousers are a little tight for me, but maternity trousers are really loose. I must dig out my waist extender thingies til bump gets bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Hey does anyone have any advice on clearing a kidney infection: I've been trying to drink cranberry juice (which normally helps massively!!) but I keep vomiting it back up... I'm drinking as much water as I can but with hyperemisis it's so difficult: I was given antibiotics by doc but I'm really not a big fan of them at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Tigeress, geez, your birth experience sounds pretty traumatic! poor thing! Hope all's well now! Found the breastfeeding very very difficult at the start as well, cracked, bleeding nipples and the lot - 5 weeks on, and it's ok, but I wouldnt call it enjoyable...

silly question, but is there a 'chat' thread comparable to this one in the newborn section (couldnt really find one, and am too shy to open a new one)?would be nice to continue the journey (I feel like I've gotten to know ye thus far ;-)) and chat about sleep-deprivation, feeding woes, colic, first smiles and sounds and the like ;-)

hope everyone is doing well! :)

(things are great here, our little one is thriving - very hungry, but thriving ;-) had our first real big smile yesterday - hubby screamed at me at 2 am 'look, he's smiling!' ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Galah, I feel the same - re the chat thread. I think we should open one, if there isn't one there. If no one objects?

Galah, I feel the same - re the chat thread. I think we should open one, if there isn't one there. If no one objects?

Give me a minute and I'll have something sorted! ;)

ETA: The Newborn & Toddler Off-Topic Chat Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

At the GP's today, everything checking out fine :)

28 weeks now and offically in my third and final trimester, I can finally start to see the finish line :)

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    Hey does anyone have any advice on clearing a kidney infection: I've been trying to drink cranberry juice (which normally helps massively!!) but I keep vomiting it back up... I'm drinking as much water as I can but with hyperemisis it's so difficult: I was given antibiotics by doc but I'm really not a big fan of them at all!!

I used to get kidney infections a lot and swear by the cranberry sachets you get in the chemist. Its cranberry powdered that you add water to, or an alternative is cranberry supplements.
    I used to drink gallons of cranberry juice when I got one, but my GP at the time told me the high (natural) sugar content in the cranberry juice can worsen the infection.
    Cut out as much sugar as you can and drink gallons of water. Hope it clears up soon, such a rotten dose to have :(

Galah - brilliant idea with the newborn thread! I found when I had my daughter that all the daily banter I had been used to in the pregnancy & pregnancy moan thread was gone, as there was no specific thread to follow.
    Look forward to joining ye in it in the coming months :):)

Ms2011 that's brill that your appointment went so well! that's great that you can see the finish line in sight, I'm not too far behind you (3 weeks or thereabouts) so the finish line mustn't be far off for me either :)

Just out of curiosity, who is next on our roll call to give birth?
    I'm still a bit behind ye at all at (almost!) 25 weeks, anyone due soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Just out of curiosity, who is next on our roll call to give birth?
    I'm still a bit behind ye at all at (almost!) 25 weeks, anyone due soon?

We should have a list of all the due dates!
    Everyone just add in your name and date and then can just quote the message to add on! A little nerdy maybe... But fun none the less!! I'll start;

Dublinlady - 20th feb

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

dublinlady wrote: »
    We should have a list of all the due dates!
    Everyone just add in your name and date and then can just quote the message to add on! A little nerdy maybe... But fun none the less!! I'll start;

Dublinlady - 20th feb

Dublinlady - 20th feb
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April

Wmpdd3: 31st of Jan
    Dublinlady - 20th feb
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April
    Red freggle - 10th Jan

Just caught the last few minutes of One Born Every Minute on C4, was bathing the baby so couldn't see much and its not online yet. I was addicted to that last time, you cant beat it for info you never thought you'd need to know.

From watching it, I'm convinced the midwives decide when they meet you how things will probably work out. As in woman A, epi, drip and forceps, woman B, gas, pushing standing up, slight tear, in the shower a few minutes after.....

Maybe, I'm analysing it a bit too much....

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I just watched it and all of a sudden burst into tears when the last woman gave birth....got very emotional altogether

Much better idea dublinlady :)

Dublinlady - 20th feb
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April
    Red freggle - 10th Jan
    Caprilicious - 19th April (bet it'll be a May baby though!)

I thought they were pushing straight to section when I seen them bringing the first girl to theatre and was really suprised at that - I didn't realise they bring you to theatre to use forceps.

They fairly yank on the forceps, don't they? :eek:

My heart stopped when her baby didn't cry, I would die at the thoughts of waiting those long few minutes to hear that first cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I know, i just tuned in when they were telling her to push and i couldnt figure out why the hell it looked like she was in a theatre if they werent doing a csection..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Dublinlady - 20th feb
    Shuwaaah - 23rd April
    Red freggle - 10th Jan

MaxCharlie - 25th Jan

Advertisement