Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

To be fair it was already under way when I got pregnant and I abandoned it for ages when I was constantly being sick. It's been absolute torture dragging the rest of it out of me as I barely know what's happening in my own brain any more, never mind in the brains of two people who don't exist. And I have no idea how I'm supposed to go back and re-draft it completely but for today I'm just going to bask in finally (sort of) fulfilling a dream I've had since I was 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Congrats on finishing your first draft Iguana :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Girls, I've finally gotten over the shock of seeing two pink lines on the hpt and now I have a million questions. :) I figure I'm 2weeks pregnant so just wondering when I should do to the doc for confirmation etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Congratulations :) I'm delighted for you :D I went to doc straight away but I know some people prefer to wait a few weeks!

yellow hen wrote: »
    Girls, I've finally gotten over the shock of seeing two pink lines on the hpt and now I have a million questions. :) I figure I'm 2weeks pregnant so just wondering when I should do to the doc for confirmation etc?

If today is cycle day 30 you are 4 weeks and 2 days pregnant, as the system is to start calculating on the first day of your last period even though you weren't actually pregnant for the first two weeks. Your best bet is to go to your doctor as soon as you're free and get signed up with your hospital/clinic so you start getting your appointments booked asap. It's a bit of a baby boom at the minute so you won't gain anything by holding off on getting booked in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

congratulations yellow hen that's wonderful news

Thanks all, I'll book the appointment this week in that case! I can't believe I finally got bumped up to this forum :)

Just curious, I dont know if its the heat or being pregnant but I am having the most restless nights sleep lately...Im usually one of those people who black out for the night. Anyone else experience this?

ps. Well done on the first draft Iguana. Major pat on the deserved :)

I was very restless at night for the first few weeks of pregnancy, from about 5 days before I found out and for the first week or so after. Then the tiredness hit me like a train and I could sleep for 12-13 hours a night. The restlessness is back now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

iguana, wow, that is great, well done on getting the novel done! Maybe bask in the glory of that achievement and let it sit for a week before going to the redrafting stage - you will be hypercritical now and it is also very good practise to distance yourself a bit from the work before you get back to doing more on it.
    [...]I dont know if its the heat or being pregnant but I am having the most restless nights sleep lately...Im usually one of those people who black out for the night. Anyone else experience this?[...]

Yes, was/is the same here. I used to have the soundest sleep, impossible to disturb me, and I would never wake up on my own during the night. This changing was the first and biggest pregnancy symptom I had to date. I swear I didn't sleep through for more than 20 minutes at a time, being hot, sweaty, having mad dreams and having to get up a lot to go to the bathroom. The clock tells me it was at times more than 20 minutes, but it surely didn't feel like it. It started to get a little bit better at around week 10 but I still don't sleep like I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Congrats yellow hen! Exciting times. Can I recommend the Pregnancy day-by-day book by Dr. Maggie Blott. I got this one and the week by week as a present and I love the day by day. It gives you two pages to read for everyday of your pregnancy...what changes are happening to you and more importantly what stage of development with pictures your baby is at. I loved reading bits out to my husband and showing him the pictures as it gave him something concrete to associate the pregnancy to. And I'm currently sleeping most of the night with no covers on me....that is when I sleep!.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My sleep in during the pregnancy changed too - I went from being someone who always feels the cold to always roasting. Where my partner was in a hoody in the house, I was in a vest top.

So maybe thats why you are having difficulty sleeping Yellow Hen?

Maybe it is the heat alright. I am sleeping but it's just very broken sleep.

Appt booked with doc for thursday eve. Am do nervous there'll be a problem. Just wish the next 8 weeks would be over already!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Scan yesterday went well :) All looks good from what the doc could see and he just recommended that baby be monitored after birth to be sure.
    Have to say I didn't like the feel of Holles street one bit! Makes me so much happier to be in WRH haha :)

24 weeks today!! Time is bloody flying!!

Hope everyone is well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Scan day tomorrow! It's really weird to think I'm 3 months pregnant & have a 6 month old baby :o

Thats great news messynessie. Good luck to you Tigeress, I think its great that you'll have have siblings so close in age. Feck it, it takes so long to get one, there's point in waiting around for the next ;)

Can I ask you all something? Im only 4.5 weeks and I'm starving......I'm not sure if I really am hungry or just giving myself an excuse to be hungry!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Yellow hen if you are hungry eat!! Seriously u never know in a couple of weeks u might have morning sickness and not able to eat that much!

Eat! Oh definately eat: you can eat healthily if your worried but definately eat :D

I only need to be told once! :D

ps....its not that healthy, thats the prob!

I still wouldn't worry :p

Good luck tomorrow Tigress. I remember how impressed you were with the comfort of your maternity jeans round this time last year. I bet you just got knocked up again as an excuse to get back into them asap. ;)

YH, being ravenous is common in the first few weeks. My advice it to enjoy it, because as notsobusy said, a few weeks from now and you could be struggling to eat anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Can I ask you all something? Im only 4.5 weeks and I'm starving......I'm not sure if I really am hungry or just giving myself an excuse to be hungry!:o

I never knew hunger like the hunger I felt when I was pregnant, I literally couldn't think straight or even hold a conversation until the hunger was satisfied so I would definately say you are feeling hungry :-)

I'm being induced tomorrow night so should hopefully have baby here happy and healthy by Thurs night/Fri morning :D

I cannot wait to have babs here and to not be sick anymore!

Oooh how exciting! Hope it all goes really well for you Cyning. You deserve a nice easy labour after the pregnancy you've had.

Good luck cyning! You wont know yourself tomorrow night with a little one in your arms :)

Here's hoping its nice and easy anyway :) I have realised I'm terrified but it's all going to be worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

iguana wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow Tigress. I remember how impressed you were with the comfort of your maternity jeans round this time last year. I bet you just got knocked up again as an excuse to get back into them asap. ;)

YH, being ravenous is common in the first few weeks. My advice it to enjoy it, because as notsobusy said, a few weeks from now and you could be struggling to eat anything.

Lol Iguana :p it's so true haha! Would ya believe I'm already wearing them again! Bumps grow way quicker second time around!

Best of luck tomorrow Cyning :) as soon as you hold your baby you'll forget all about the crappy pregnancy you had xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

best of luck cyning, after the tough pregnancy you have had you deserve this more then anything. hope it all goes well for you x

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hi all
    I am joining this board after finding out yesterday that I am expecting again. We lost our newborn girl in Nov last year due to labour complications. This time around I hope to go for a planned c-section.

I am a huge mixed bag of emotions at the moment - it's indescribable - but I am trying to stay positive! Lightning cannot strike twice!

I have not made any doctors appointments or anything yet - just letting it sink in first

I am absolutely over the moon for you Cunning Stunt :) you deserve every bit of happiness that's coming your way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I only need to be told once! :D

ps....its not that healthy, thats the prob!

I found my appetite really jumped even from the beginning & I was definitely craving naughty foods! I ate a lot of carbs & naughty stuff probably up til 3 mths as I was a little nauseous & incredibly picky. Then I started eating a bit healthier, but still quite a lot.

I've put on 3 stone since before getting preg which is more than you're "supposed to" but I actually don't look that different. If you removed the bump, I look like I've maybe put on 1/2 stone & some of that is water retention. My sis was a bit underweight before getting preg & she put on 4 stone & she looked fab when she had the baby, the little bit extra weight suited her.

So the moral of the story is don't worry. Eat what you crave, don't consciously eat for two, and try & eat healthy things like lots of protein, calcium, veg & fruit. My midwife always tells me to go with what I'm craving.

It's hard work building a little human & you burn up a lot of calories through all the amazing biological processes' going on.

Also my What to Expect app says that women carrying boys tend to be hungrier, baby boys are generally a little heavier than girls (but we're only talking a lb or few oz here). I'm carrying a boy :cool:

Also don't freak out if you don't put on weight as expected, doc's & midwives will monitor you & baby and generally baby will just take whatever he/she needs from you & will still come out an average weight & size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Thank you for your nice words Xzanti.

I am actually just back from my first doctors visit.
    The nurse looked a bit bewildered when I asked her if she was going to do a test for me - but I thought that's half the reason for going there - that they need to confirm the pregnancy? Anyway she did one and there definitely is no doubt.:)

I am flying home to ireland in 2 weeks time and my doctor has been very good to try and refer me for an early scan next week, so that I can be reassured everything is OK before I break the big news to the clan ;) I hope the hospital have room for me at short notice. Otherwise there's always the possibility of a private scan clinic.

I hope everyone is doin OK.

Advertisement