Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zzhihui

Hi all,

I don't know if it is the right place to ask this question, but please help me!

My wife is 3 months pregnant now, I want to take her to hospital for examination. People told me that I have to contact GP first, and my wife will be assigned to one of the hospitals, is that correct?

Thanks in Advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I filled in my own hospital application, it wasn't necessary to go to my GP or get him to complete anything, but maybe check the website of the hospital in question.

In some parts of the country there is very little, if any, choice. GP's give a hospital referral, but, again, that is not absolutely necessary - but if you are going public with combined care you may want to go to GP first anyway.

Thanks, so how about for labour? do we need to contact GP first?

For labour, no you don't contact your GP, just the hospital.

Thanks Again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Java just wanted to say best of luck in your induction tomorrow (if you hvent had baby already) looking forward to hearing your great news x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Tigeress wrote: »
    Java just wanted to say best of luck in your induction tomorrow (if you hvent had baby already) looking forward to hearing your great news x

Good Luck Java. Didnt realise you were being taken in tomorrow. Will be thinking of you. x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Think she's booked to go in Thurs 8am. I think she'd prefer if it was tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

yep Thursday morning, but thanks so much for the well wishes gals!
    tomorrow Will be my last baby free day woo hoo-so excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

javagal wrote: »

Java every time I see u have posted I have a mini heart attack thinking there's news!!!
    Babies are so exciting .. U can imagine what I'm like with my "real life " friends!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

ah Java enjoy your last baby free day and best of luck with everything x

This sickness is wrecking me :( at this stage on my last pregnancy I felt great.. Ugh..

javagal wrote: »

Oops that was my fault :o I thought yest was Wed! Enjoy your day & make sure you relax :) you won't have time to after tomorrow xx best of luck Java

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

This sickness is wrecking me :( at this stage on my last pregnancy I felt great.. Ugh..

I've heard a few people say that their second pregnancy was much worse than their first. Im only 6.5 weeks but still feeling ok. Am hungry all the time and feel that when I let myself get too hungry, I feel sick!

In good news, I got my appt for the coombe today. Have midwives appt just on the week that i should be 12weeks and consultants appt is around the 15week mark. Will be seeing Michael O'Connell in the Coombe. Googled him and found good comments so am happy with that. Which appt is the really long one where you have to succumb to multiple tests and examination :eek:...midwives or consultants?

yellow hen wrote: »

I've heard a few people say that their second pregnancy was much worse than their first. Im only 6.5 weeks but still feeling ok. Am hungry all the time and feel that when I let myself get too hungry, I feel sick!

In good news, I got my appt for the coombe today. Have midwives appt just on the week that i should be 12weeks and consultants appt is around the 15week mark. Will be seeing Michael O'Connell in the Coombe. Googled him and found good comments so am happy with that. Which appt is the really long one where you have to succumb to multiple tests and examination :eek:...midwives or consultants?

I'm not sure how the Coombe work it but where I am you see the Midwife then the Doctor for your scan. You usually get your bloods done in the GP (they check for HIV, Hepititis & Cyphilis) that's brill that you have your scan for the 12 week Mark :) you'll get to see so much then! Baby will be fully formed :) I'm back on 1st August myself.

The sickness is def worse this time.. I just can't seem to handle anymore than 15-20 mins in the car or I get real sickly.. Hope it passes soon!

Yeah the 12 week visit seems to be the long one cos you have to register etc, could be there a few hours.

Tigress, I found "sea bands" good for travel sickness. You can get them in pharmacies & they are just bands you put on your wrist that press a pressure point. I used to use them when I was a kid as well

Good luck today Java :) hope your baby is on the way x

Good luck today Java :) hope your baby is on the way x

I got sent home due to no beds,
    came home,cried,slept and ate all my hospital snacks!

Javagal, you poor thing. So sorry to hear that. And you were so looking forward to it all being over. Have they told you when to go back in?

I know it's not easy, but try to relax and rest. Maybe stick on some funny movies or something.

Fingers crossed you won't have to wait too much longer to meet your little one.

ah java thats awful, when will you go back in now?

• Advertisement

Have to try get a bed tonight, if not back tomorrow, will be 11 days over :(

ah java you poor thing that is awful, you poor thing, fingers crossed you get a bed tonight,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mega drama here. My husband has just been asked to fill a contract on a big American tv show, starting in Swansea on Monday morning. The contract will be from now until the end of October-start of November. My due date is either 31/10 or 5/11, depending on my later or earlier scan. The job is a really, really, really good one and tv work here has been so spotty he'd be stupid to turn it down, so he's accepted it and we are having to work out how we will manage this.

Iguana, is it an option for you to relocate with him and you guys stay there til baby is born and maybe for a couple weeks after at least? Sounds like this opportunity is too good to miss. I could be wrong but because baby will be born in the States, it might give them the opportunity to get a dual US passport in future (not that that would be a reason but it could be a perk?)

Nearly 39 weeks, picked up my birthing pool *exciting*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

zzhihui wrote: »
    Hi all,

I don't know if it is the right place to ask this question, but please help me!

My wife is 3 months pregnant now, I want to take her to hospital for examination. People told me that I have to contact GP first, and my wife will be assigned to one of the hospitals, is that correct?

Thanks in Advance!

Go to your gp.
    He will give you the forms to apply for free maternity cover,which is combined care between gp and hospital.
    You also need to ring the hospital that you want to attend and book in with them,you have left it very late to book so it maybe a while before they see you but goingmublic your 1st visit is usually about 14 weeks.
    I get the I pressing that you are not Irish but citizens information website has the information a out the free public scheme.

Java that's so awful :( you poor thing! I really hope you get in tonight & of not then tomorrow morning! I was released after 4 days from Portlaoise after my section cause they wanted beds although I was happy to go!

Iguana that sounds both amazing an super scary! What a brill opportunity but it'll be hard for both of you,I'm sure, to be away for so long.. How are you feeling about it all?

Mink are you doing a home birth? I didn't think we had birthing pools in Ireland?!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mink wrote: »
    Iguana, is it an option for you to relocate with him and you guys stay there til baby is born and maybe for a couple weeks after at least? Sounds like this opportunity is too good to miss. I could be wrong but because baby will be born in the States, it might give them the opportunity to get a dual US passport in future (not that that would be a reason but it could be a perk?)

Sorry, I gave the wrong impression but it's not that drastic, it's an American series but they are making it in Wales. He'll go out on Sunday evening and once he is there we will work out what it's best for me to do. We're leaning toward me following him over as the flights between Cardiff and Dublin are very limited often just one a day. There is a pretty good chance that he'd miss the birth if I go into spontaneous labour . And the hours he'd work just wouldn't allow him to come home very often during the next 3 months so realistically he just wouldn't be around. We just have to work out a short term open ended lease on a house that we can have the dogs in. Which might be a bit of a tall order.

Then we need to figure out my maternity care there and what we do about after care because unless I go early or his contract is extended, we'd like to come back home asap. I have a deep urge to go to bed and pull a blanket over my head as it's all a bit overwhelming. We also have two upset pairs of future grandparents, who really aren't overjoyed about the baby being born out of the country.

But he is really excited about doing this job as even when American series are made over here they usually send the work for his department back to LA, so they are no good for him. And this one has a lot of people he admires working on it, so he's delighted to be asked over. I just wish they could have hired him with more than 1 working day's notice.

Oh Wales will definitely be more manageable. I'd say go for it, and start researching the maternity care now.
    Mink are you doing a home birth? I didn't think we had birthing pools in Ireland?!

Yep the plan is to do homebirth. I'm all set up for it, fall within the HSE guidelines, no complications etc so it's so far so good. Unfortunately 40% of first timers do end up transferring to hospital so I'm aware of all that & will just have to go with the flow.

You can buy/rent the pools here in Ireland no problems. I got a great one with all the pumps and hoses for €150. I'm not going to deliver in it as my midwife doesn't do water births. Just going to labour in it for pain relief. Then I can use the pool as a sort of paddling or ball pool when baby's older :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Iguana fab news that your hubby got the job but I can understand you'd be very stressed with it all. By the sounds of it following him over temporarily would be the best thing to do to be sure ye are together for the birth!

• Advertisement

Mink wrote: »
    Oh Wales will definitely be more manageable. I'd say go for it, and start researching the maternity care now.

Yep the plan is to do homebirth. I'm all set up for it, fall within the HSE guidelines, no complications etc so it's so far so good. Unfortunately 40% of first timers do end up transferring to hospital so I'm aware of all that & will just have to go with the flow.

You can buy/rent the pools here in Ireland no problems. I got a great one with all the pumps and hoses for €150. I'm not going to deliver in it as my midwife doesn't do water births. Just going to labour in it for pain relief. Then I can use the pool as a sort of paddling or ball pool when baby's older :D

Oh I had no idea! Fair play for doing the home birth! Can you still do if you've to be induced? Does the midwife give you pain relief if needed? Sorry for all the questions I just find this very interesting!

Advertisement