Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

Hi newbie give yourself about 2 and a half hrs for the ante natal class they usually last about 2 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Due date is tomorrow but the "any news yet" calls & texts started during the week :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Mink, you have my my sympathy. I had the same problem last pregnancy, and found it very annoying and stressful, particularly as we were experiencing a lot of other stressful issues at the time.

This time around they've all been given only the vaguest idea of when baby is due, that we will tell them when it has been born and told that ANY enquiries will result in them not being removed from the notification list and banned from seeing baby for at least 6 months :D

I wish I had put a suitable answer message on my phone and kept it turned off last time.

Yeah I'd tried saying to people early-mid august but it was hard to be consistent with that as I couldn't remember who I said it to. Damn it, regret not making the effort to lie properly :D

Being on mat leave now I'm really noticing how many door to door promoters/canvassers there are. It's driving me nuts as I don't like to not answer the door in case it's a neighbour etc. I'm going to find an appropriate sign for the door cos can't have them ringing the bell & annoying me when I have a newborn. I don't give a crap about my broadband/makeup/electric bills and even when I say I'm not interested from the outset, they keep talking! Feel like I have PMS :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mink wrote: »
    I don't give a crap about my broadband/makeup/electric bills and even when I say I'm not interested from the outset, they keep talking!

Just give out a huge scream of pain like you're in labour and watch them scuttle off.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭petalgumdrops

Tigeress wrote: »
    I'm due Jan 7th :) and have a 7 month old! It'll be a busy few years for us! Glad to see someone else that's in the same sort if position as myself! How's things going with you? Oh and welcome aboard!

Betsie I didn't realise you were so close now! Very exciting! Are you all ready?

Everything is going well.. Had the easiest pregnancy last time not even an ache or a pain the whole way through - however i have been feeling quite tired this time around. I suppose thats because im running around after the little monkey i have! So im assuming there will be a 13 month age gap between your 2? be 15 between mine :) Im due the 14th of January.. Have u had a look at any double buggies? How u feeling? Im in holles street what about you?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I'm due Jan 7th :) and have a 7 month old! It'll be a busy few years for us! Glad to see someone else that's in the same sort if position as myself! How's things going with you? Oh and welcome aboard!

Betsie I didn't realise you were so close now! Very exciting! Are you all ready?

Everything is going well.. Had the easiest pregnancy last time not even an ache or a pain the whole way through - however i have been feeling quite tired this time around. I suppose thats because im running around after the little monkey i have! So im assuming there will be a 13 month age gap between your 2? be 15 between mine :) Im due the 14th of January.. Have u had a look at any double buggies? How u feeling? Im in holles street what about you?:)

I had a fairly hard pregnancy last time & very difficult delivery so I'm a little nervous about this one to be honest.. This one is due 2 weeks after my little fella was born although it will most likely be a section again & that means days between each other eek! Yeah we bought the Phil & Teds Vibe yesterday in Mothercare as they have them on sale! I looked around & they're the most reliable & they can be single or double :) I love it! I'm the same, super exhausted all the time but I'm not sure if it's pregnancy or just running after the other one like yourself lol! Maybe a mix of both! I'm in Portlaoise. The morning sickness seems to have eased off finally thank goodness hehe! Hopefully it'll stay away now :o
    Great that you had such an easy preg last time! Hope this one is as easy

Mink wow due date :) hope baby doesn't keep ya waiting too long! I always look out the window and see who's there and if IRS sale people I just go back to what I was doing & ignoring them haha! Ya do get fed up alright!

Iguana are ya all sorted with your OH's new job??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

yeah im as ready as im going to be now tigeress, cant believe its so close now to be honest :)

yeah im as ready as im going to be now tigeress, cant believe its so close now to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Mink wrote: »
    Due date is tomorrow but the "any news yet" calls & texts started during the week :mad:

I'm the same, and my due date isn't til this day next week! Also very annoying when people you aren't even very close to say to you "let me know the minute you go into labour/have baby" - em no, that won't really be a priority at the time, you'll hear when you hear!!!

• Advertisement

0ctober wrote: »
    I'm the same, and my due date isn't til this day next week! Also very annoying when people you aren't even very close to say to you "let me know the minute you go into labour/have baby" - em no, that won't really be a priority at the time, you'll hear when you hear!!!

Yeah I know, I'm reluctant to let anyone know expect my sisters, but they are in UK so it's not like they are going to be knocking on my door. We have to tell the mother-in-law though as she'd be so upset if found out after the fact. We've done our best to explain to her that we are doing a homebirth but she still thinks she has to arrive at the Rotunda when she hears I'm in labour, just in waiting room in case my OH needs anything, bless. I think she's in denial.

She may wait there if she likes but hopefully I'll be in my kitchen in my birthing pool if I'm well in labour :D

Iguana are ya all sorted with your OH's new job??

Not really. He started on Monday and has been so busy with getting settled in that he has had very little time to sort out longer term accommodation. Hopefully he'll be seeing some places at the start of next week. He'll be back here late tonight so we're looking forward to having the weekend (well about 40 hours) together. Thankfully we knew there was some possibility earlier into the pregnancy of him having to go away for work or us having to move so I have nearly everything for the baby already.

The good news is that the area he works in has a fantastic NHS birth centre and as long as I'm medically fit I should be allowed to give birth there. It's really wonderful looking, with double rooms so he can share a room with me if I have to stay in overnight and a choice of delivery room with either birthing couches or pools for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Aw Java love the pic she's a real cutie :)
    Iguana the birthing centre sounds fab!! :) Hope ye get sorted soon!!

Hope everyone is doing well! )

I'm in for my GTT on Tuesday :( Really dreading it!!

wow that birthing centre sounds fantastic, fingers crossed everything will go well and you can give birth there

You're lucky with the NHS system Iguana, their birth facilities are far beyond what is here. There have been several consultants that have tried to set up midwife run birth centres across Ireland (with a consultant on call) but they never get supported or it shuts down. There is still one struggling in Cavan and then the Drogheda one connected to the hospital (I think).

Plus the fact that you can't even labour in a pool in this country. They'd probably save money on epidurals and other procedures if this option was available as might reduce the need for them a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

0ctober wrote: »

My little fella arrived a bit late, so I was driven demented with "has it started yet" calls!

A girl my sis went to school with had her baby a few months ago. Another friend announced the fact that this girl had gone into labour and what they were going to call the child on Facebook. Now perhaps the mum-to-be had okayed it but if someone did that to me there would have been wigs on the green!

Haha wigs on the green!

I was just talking to OH re this. When I go into labour we are telling his mother & my sisters but one of my sisters is a big mouth & puts everything on FB so he's going to specifically tell her not to do that. If she does I will absolutely kill her as I want to let my own friends & family now.

Oh I will go mad if someone makes an announcement on facebook. Will also be warning sisters/friends that no pics of baby are to be put up on facebook, I will put a select few on my page mostly for family and friends abroad. At least on my page I've control over who sees them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

newbie2011 wrote: »
    Could somebody help with a question here please? I'm just 19 weeks at this stage and finally heading in for my first antenatal class in the Limerick Maternity. Does anyone have any idea how long the first class lasts for? I tried ringing to ask but the phone rang unanswered for about 3 minutes and finally disconnected. Just need to get back into work afterwards so was wondering... Thanks a mil :)
    I'm 20 weeks went to my first antenatal class in limerick about a month ago and it was so much longer than I was planning! I figured an hour, hour and a half tops. I left at 2.5 hours. No clue how much longer on it went!! I found only two things good- registration at the beginning for the classes from 30 weeks on (I think those will be more useful!) And when the physio showed us ball stuff. That was brilliant. Any other stuff that the midwife talked about seemed very general and stuff you would know from the what to expect when your expecting book or the internet!! Hope the class goes well for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

yippee i'm joining today,got my bfp this morning at 13 dpo.It's been a hard road so fingers crossed.yellowhen my virtual friend from ttc forum,it certainly was ominus:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Ah I just seen your name pop up and got a moment of excitement thinking you might have made the move over!!!! So many congratulations, you must be thrilled. Maybe the laparoscopies were what we needed :)

What do you think your due date is? Congratulations again, am really thrilled for you.

Congrats meggysmom, sounds like you had a long road to here. Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your pregnancy!

thanks girls,i'm on cloud nine,i had my little one in sanfrancisco so I will be asking lots questions about what route to take re health care and that.Looks like i'm due april 11th:)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Congrats meggysmom!! :)

Congrats MM, I hope you are having a great day celebrating today and that you have a healthy pregnancy.

I'm feeling blue here. My husband's on his way back to Wales and I won't see him for at least 2 weeks. It feels lonelier this week than it did last week. I really hope he can sort out accommodation asap so that next time he's back I'll be going over with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newbie2011

pushkii wrote: »
    Hi newbie give yourself about 2 and a half hrs for the ante natal class they usually last about 2 hrs

Thanks pushkii :) I was late back to work but I'll know better next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 newbie2011

Rachineire wrote: »
    I'm 20 weeks went to my first antenatal class in limerick about a month ago and it was so much longer than I was planning! I figured an hour, hour and a half tops. I left at 2.5 hours. No clue how much longer on it went!! I found only two things good- registration at the beginning for the classes from 30 weeks on (I think those will be more useful!) And when the physio showed us ball stuff. That was brilliant. Any other stuff that the midwife talked about seemed very general and stuff you would know from the what to expect when your expecting book or the internet!! Hope the class goes well for you!!

Thanks Rachineire, I stayed for the lot (even though I arrived late...whoopsie!) so I reckon around 2.5 hours total. I'll know better for next time! Yeah the midwife was lovely and all but most of what she had to say I'd heard from somewhere already. I agree the physio stuff was very helpful. Now I must make sure to get started on my pelvic floor exercises...everybody's been warning me to start asap and I'm still not doing it regularly enough. No doubt I'll regret that later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

newbie2011 wrote: »
    Thanks Rachineire, I stayed for the lot (even though I arrived late...whoopsie!) so I reckon around 2.5 hours total. I'll know better for next time! Yeah the midwife was lovely and all but most of what she had to say I'd heard from somewhere already. I agree the physio stuff was very helpful. Now I must make sure to get started on my pelvic floor exercises...everybody's been warning me to start asap and I'm still not doing it regularly enough. No doubt I'll regret that later!

I havnt been doing the pelvic floor muscles at all! yikes! I have been doing my ball exercises....great for the back! :)

I am looking into vhi and that and trying to decide what to do,looks like public for me as reallly don't have a spare 3,000 for doctors,how long after you got your bfp did you go to your gp?Is it the sooner the better as wait times for registration and that are long?This will be my 1st pregnancy in Ireland so it is all new all over again.Thank you:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

meggysmom wrote: »
    I am looking into vhi and that and trying to decide what to do,looks like public for me as reallly don't have a spare 3,000 for doctors,how long after you got your bfp did you go to your gp?Is it the sooner the better as wait times for registration and that are long?This will be my 1st pregnancy in Ireland so it is all new all over again.Thank you:)

I had read here that sooner rather than later was best so I went to doc about a week after my bfp. I'm going to the coombe though and I font think I actually needed the referral letter. You register with them directly instead. I wasn't bothered with going private and didn't want to spend that much money either. We went shared care semi private. The only reason we didn't go private was the possible wait times at appts. What hosp are you going to?

Advertisement