Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Thanks thumpy. I will do another at home this evening and no doubt several more over the next couple of days. Am in total shock. Was on clomid for DD. I'm shocked completely...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Ah sure we all did that lol i went through a small fortune in tests when i realised i was 3 days late and was still doing them nearly 3 weeks later lol. Congrats btw i know its a shock and you'll probably be like this for a few days but everything happens for a reason. Have you told your OH yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

A line is definatley a line May :) congratulations x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I agree a line is always a line!!! I got totally addicted in the first couple weeks to clearblue digital...!! Congrats!

I have done two more cheapy ones since yest. Incl one first thing this morning. The lines begins v faint but developes over time. I still am in shock because of last time. I won't believe it until i do more and more tests..... I am going to invest in the digital at the weekend and see what they tell me. Then perhaps doc next week... I am not ready. I have not prepared. I haven't been taking folic acid or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Congrats May. I found the First Response the best i used 3 cheap brands and i used 3 First Response the first test I got a very faint line i nearly dismissed it but had my OH have a look, The next day i bought 3 cheap brands and another double first response and tested the next day with 3 tests all positive but faint positives 3 days later i did another first response in the evening and the line was so strong two days later went the doc after having 6 positives, there's was negative! i was so upset but they took blood and my hcg levels were up so i was defo pregnant im now 15 and a half weeks :) Don't stress about not taking the folic acid start today, everything happens for a reason :) You will be fine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Not been on for a week as my parents were visiting. It was great to have them around but a little tiring at times. Yesterday we drove to Cardiff so my mum could get some buttons for the cardigan she knit for baby. We picked the cutest teddy bear ones that make the whole thing look adorable. Then I went to antenatal class and my husband and I came home from there with fish and chips for dinner as a last night treat. I was a bit too greedy for my squished stomach, I started feeling queasy shortly afterwards but would probably have coped if the baby hadn't picked that moment to do a crazy dance. I ended up spending most of their last night here up the bathroom puking my guts out. Not something I expected at 36 weeks.:rolleyes:

I'm just chilling out today. My husband is supposed to be ordering the car seat today and I have one load of baby washing left to do this week. Then we might pack the hospital bags at the weekend. My co-sleeper crib is here now, as my parents brought it with them. We bought it expecting to be setting it up in our room in Dublin so I wasn't sure if it would fit in the bedroom here. Luckily it will just about fit next to my side of the bed (under the eaves) but we'll wait another week or so to set that up, and it won't be attached to the bed until we bring bubs home as I don't fancy trying to manoeuvre my giant hippo body around it to get in and out of bed.

I think that's all the news. Got my flu jab on Monday and am waiting for the surgery to get in the whooping cough vaccine so I can get that ASAP, so the antibodies get into the baby's bloodstream. The outbreak over here is a bit scary and the media campaign last week made me feel worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

I had hosp apt today, baby weighing 4lbs and I'm 34wks. So excited!

I had hosp apt today, baby weighing 4lbs and I'm 34wks. So excited!

4lb already! Wow! Is this your 1st baby? Very exciting to be so close to the finish line :)

Congrats May! It's crazy how your body can almost fix itself isn't it?! We tried for 2 years on our little man & this one got through birth control :) I can only imagine how you're feeling! Bet of luck with your new pregnancy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Tigeress wrote: »
    4lb already! Wow! Is this your 1st baby? Very exciting to be so close to the finish line :)

First baby! I thought I'd be scared of giving birth but I'm just so ready to give birth now and be done with pregnancy. Can't wait to meet my little man or big man :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats sleepytrees. I had a scan at 37 wks to measure my baby and I was told they put on half a pound a week and it was pretty much spot on. At that scan he weighed just over 6.5 pounds and hr was born a week later at 7.2 pounds.

Thank you for all of your replies. I think i am going to have to bite the bullet and get a proper digital test kit. I'm a wreck. I have had lines on all of my 5 tests so far and i'm still not certain. If i am pregnant i am only 4 weeks on (from date of last period). This is torture.

May79 my gp told me a line is a line. I was under 4 wks pregnant when I went to gp (because I was going with my sick son anyway) and he said at that stage the hormone levels would be very weak but if it showed a line then it's a pregnancy.

Fingers crossed for you. I used clear blue digital where it tells you the weeks as the cheapie tests were wrecking my head. I just wanted to see the word pregnant and not have to sit there analysing a faint pink line.

Thanks for all of the replies ladies...Well it seems a line is indeed a line... I got a clearblue digi and it reads 2-3 weeks! I am shaking. Happy, nervous and completely shocked beyond belief. Think that leaves me due in June. DD will be 2 and 2 months. What is next? Have to figure out due dates and get to gp. No point in going in yet though as it is so early?

Congrats may79!!! I'd leave it a few days to go to the gp to make sure their test comes up positive. My son will be 2 and 3 months when no.2 arrives! That will be 'interesting'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

May79 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the replies ladies...Well it seems a line is indeed a line... I got a clearblue digi and it reads 2-3 weeks! I am shaking. Happy, nervous and completely shocked beyond belief. Think that leaves me due in June. DD will be 2 and 2 months. What is next? Have to figure out due dates and get to gp. No point in going in yet though as it is so early?

Congrats May79! I got a few faint lines on a wednesday and a clearbue showing 2-3weeks on the Friday. I went into my doc the following Wednesday. She didn't even do a test, just took my word for it :) Maybe you could head in next week? No harm in getting the ball rolling re hospitals etc Congrats again and enjoy the excitment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Congrats again may. I'd go to the doc next week just to get everything sent of so you're not left waiting overly long for appointments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Congrats May79, i agree with THUMBY. I found out i was pregnant when i was just 4 weeks and 2 days, and i went to see the Doc at exactly 5 weeks. It was great to get the ball rolling for your apts, you will be dying for your first apt to see the little baby growing inside you and with the waiting lists and amount of us pregnant your better off to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. Esp if you want to do stuff like Dominoes if its in your area, you have to apply for that almost from 5 weeks pregnant.

Congrats may79!!! I'd leave it a few days to go to the gp to make sure their test comes up positive. My son will be 2 and 3 months when no.2 arrives! That will be 'interesting'!

Thank you how strange - Not much difference in the little ones ages when the help arrives!! When are you due? I think i will wait until next week at least to go to gp.
    Digs wrote: »
    Congrats May79! I got a few faint lines on a wednesday and a clearbue showing 2-3weeks on the Friday. I went into my doc the following Wednesday. She didn't even do a test, just took my word for it :) Maybe you could head in next week? No harm in getting the ball rolling re hospitals etc Congrats again and enjoy the excitment!
    My doc will def do a test but she is lovely so i'm grand with that. I am excited already but so nervous. Such a shock as we weren't "trying" properly yet. I thought i would need medical intervention again...
    Princessa wrote: »
    Congrats May79, i agree with THUMBY. I found out i was pregnant when i was just 4 weeks and 2 days, and i went to see the Doc at exactly 5 weeks. It was great to get the ball rolling for your apts, you will be dying for your first apt to see the little baby growing inside you and with the waiting lists and amount of us pregnant your better off to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. Esp if you want to do stuff like Dominoes if its in your area, you have to apply for that almost from 5 weeks pregnant.

Hi Princessa - what is dominoes?
    It seems really difficult to get into hospitals in our area now. For DD i had to go north as two in south that would be considered beside me (!.5 hours away each of them) were too busy to take me around my due date and the consultants couldn't commit to it. Just busy busy with new babies.

Oh my goodness this is mental.

I'm due 25th April so I'm 11w 1d today! I'm really hoping the ickiness goes away soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

May79 wrote: »
    what is dominoes?

Its a scheme you can chose, its not in all areas. It is in Waterford and a few other areas around the country. Its basically midwifery led care, they take on very small numbers so no looooong waiting times, you get to know the midwife throughtout your pregnancy. Its very personal. You cant go on the scheme if you have complications though. Its low risk. For the labour they encourage low intervention natural deliveries and if you dont have an epidural or a PPH, emergency section you can go home 6 hours after having baby and the midwife will call out to your home the next day to check on you the baby etc. Thats basically the jist of it. Its becoming very popular and you have to apply very soon for it down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Princessa wrote: »
    if you dont have an epidural or a PPH, emergency section you can go home 6 hours after having baby and the midwife will call out to your home the next day to check on you the baby etc.

Just to say that i've gone with Dominoe Scheme on both my pregnancies and i would definitely recommend it. However, as far as i know, the early release scheme is separate, it applies to mothers with consultant led care also but you must live within a certain radius of the hospital. At least that's the way it works here but maybe it's different around the country.

I was with a consultant on my last pregnancy and I delivered without epidural and my consultant offered to release me that evening. I had to stay because my son had to stay in hospital for 2 days for test results as he was born more than 18 hours after my waters broke.

This time I'm really hoping to be on the domino scheme. From what I understand you pretty much have to agree up front to not want an epi as it's midwife led care and they can't administer an epi. There may be flexibility when you're in the hospital and in labour but that might depend on how busy the hospital and the anaesthetist are at that particular time.

Also all your visits take place in a community clinic or primary health centre.

I had to have a section lat time because my body can't go through normal labour - too small in pelvic area, the bone sits somewhere it shouldn't and they tried to induce me last time and basically there was no place for baby. Ended up a section and a section it will be this time too. In drogheda they have a MLU and same in Craigavon. It's perfect for natural births but if you get complications you have to go straight across to the labour ward. It sounds very like dominoes. Two of my friends went these routes. Expensive but worth every penny they said...

Thats amazing May :) Congrats again!
    How Strange, didn't realise you were so close to the 12 weeks mark :) how are you feeling? Have you told people yet?

I'm soooooooooo excited for our 3D Scan tomorrow :) this baby better co operate and open their legs lol! They told me to have a can of fizzy drink cold a half hour before we go in but.... I hate fizzy drinks & I get terrible windy & indigestion from them while pregnant.. Maybe I'll open the can so the fizzy goes out a bit..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Tigeress wrote: »
    I'm soooooooooo excited for our 3D Scan tomorrow :) this baby better co operate and open their legs lol! They told me to have a can of fizzy drink cold a half hour before we go in but.... I hate fizzy drinks & I get terrible windy & indigestion from them while pregnant.. Maybe I'll open the can so the fizzy goes out a bit..

Good luck tomorrow. If you don't like fizzy drinks I recommend having a couple of ice-pops. My midwife told me it's really the cold that wakes the babies up. Then again my guy was really quiet for his 3d scan and the pictures were actually pretty good. And there was no getting away from his gender, even if we hadn't wanted to know he was 'telling us.' He was turned in such a way that the very first thing in the screen, in 2d, were two very obvious orbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

This time I'm really hoping to be on the domino scheme. From what I understand you pretty much have to agree up front to not want an epi as it's midwife led care and they can't administer an epi. There may be flexibility when you're in the hospital and in labour but that might depend on how busy the hospital and the anaesthetist are at that particular time.

Also all your visits take place in a community clinic or primary health centre.

I had an epi on my 1st. Assuming you're not having a home birth then all pain relief options are available to you. If the anethesist on duty is too busy to administor an epi to you then the same will apply to a patient under consultant led care.

I had all my appointments in the midwife clinic within the maternity unit of the hospital. The longest i ever had to wait for an appointment was 15mins. Such a great service and the girls are always so lovely & down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Sorry to butt in ladies but re the domino scheme. I have my booking apt with holles street on Wednesday, do you have the option to apply for the scheme at this apt or would I have had to voice my interest earlier than that? Read up on the scheme there and it seems like a much more preferable option for me and would like to be considered for it :) thanks in advance!

Clueless first timer here!!

Tigeress good luck today!!

Yep I skipped a week! I was thrilled when the sonographer told me. No we haven't told anyone yet and the weird thing is this time around I'm in no rush. The last time which was my first pregnancy I couldn't wait to tell people.

• Advertisement

Digs I'm not quite sure. I put it on my reg form which was ignored and I then rang the midwives clinic and they rescheduled it for me. Def ask them at your app and be quite insistent that you want to be on the scheme.

You'd think they'd be encouraging more women to join and free the hospitals up but from what I've seen you have to make lots of noise. But I'm an older mum so it might be different for younger women.

Advertisement