Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Excellent thanks how strange. I ended up ringing Holles Street to double check. The guy I was speaking to said I have to go to the booking apt on Wed and apply for the scheme at that.....he was foreign and his accent led to a little confusion on both our parts but the jist of it I think I got right!! Will proclaim innocence on Wed anyway and push for the scheme, really hope I can do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

From what I understand you pretty much have to agree up front to not want an epi as it's midwife led care and they can't administer an epi.

This is incorrect, there is an understanding that the midwives can't administer an epi but you are never asked to agree to not having one, at least I never was.

Also once you go 10 days over or end up being induced you can no longer stay with the midwife led care you are transfered over to a consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It's definitely one of the criteria in the Coombe domino scheme and it was pointed out to me when I enquired about it.

Page 2 of the Coombe domino scheme info
    http://www.coombe.ie/content/files/Domino_Service.pdf?PHPSESSID=a39a64c060700a4be600bc6bf6e28ea6

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

It's definitely one of the criteria in the Coombe domino scheme and it was pointed out to me when I enquired about it.

http://www.coombe.ie/content/files/Domino_Service.pdf?PHPSESSID=a39a64c060700a4be600bc6bf6e28ea6

Anyone know if there is a similar service catering for people in North Dublin? Thanks:)

Also I'm not saying you definitely won't get it if you change your mind when you're in the delivery room but they want women on the scheme to go for a natural birth with as few interventions as possible. The epi can lead to other interventions being necessary. However you go in with your eyes open that their agenda is natural birthing.

I don't want to put the heart crossways in any poor woman who otherwise thinks its a great scheme.

• Advertisement

Roselm the rotunda have the same scheme for north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I was with the Domino Scheme in the Coombe with my now 6 months old & as I said there is an understanding that a midwife cannot administer an epi but you don't have to agree on not having one before joining. In fact I was told if I ended up wanting one I could be transfered to a consultant care at the point of delivery. If the midwife I'd been with all along wasn't busy she could even stay with me.

I'm not splitting hairs here, I just don't want anyone thinking about joining Domino to be put off because they think an epi is off the cards if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Its not that you can't have an epidural, its just that its not encouraged or advised. Its the same as breastfeeding, i wouldnt be looking to join the dominoes scheme if you werent dead set on trying to breastfeed.

Epidurals in SOME (before people jump down my throat) cases can cause a woman to push inadequately. This can lead to other interventions being required such as vacuum, forceps. Midwives cannot delivery babies if these interventions are required, it has to be the Doc. For this reason they are trying to promote the most low risk, natural, low intervention midwifery led care. Hope this helps a bit.

Well it's good to know that in practice the scheme is flexible and follows the wishes of the woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Sorry to change the subject ladies but ... Today is our 3D Scan :D I'm very excited (if you can't tell hehe) hopefully I'll be posting what we're having later on! They've told us that if they can't tell the gender today we can go back for free to check again too!

• Advertisement

Tigeress wrote: »
    Sorry to change the subject ladies but ... Today is our 3D Scan :D I'm very excited (if you can't tell hehe) hopefully I'll be posting what we're having later on! They've told us that if they can't tell the gender today we can go back for free to check again too!

Best of luck Tigeress. Fingers crossed you can find out today. Let us know how you get on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Best of luck! I loved my 3d scan, it was so cool seeing baby move around! We could even see baby had my hands and chin and my OH forehead and facial structure! It was mad! Hope they can see the gender!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

Best of luck Tigress!!!!!

Good luck tigress!! I hope your little babs is compliant and puts on a good show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

At work and battery dying on phone! Rage! Will be dying to hear tigress!!!!!!

Hey ladies :D we're having another boy!! Delighted :D 3D Scan was amazing, the DVD is awesome aswell! Watched it 3 times already

Awwwh congratulations Tigeress, i am delighted for you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Awwww yeah!!!!! N will have a little football buddy!! And so close in age!! They gonna be best friends!! Huge congrats!!!!

Thanks Princessa & DL! I knew from the 1st picture of his face that he was a boy before she confirmed it lol he's the image of N! We just have to pick some bots names now :o we don't have any!

You going to pick another N name to go with the first little man. My OH wants to do that i think. We have an A.

• Advertisement

Princessa wrote: »
    You going to pick another N name to go with the first little man. My OH wants to do that i think. We have an A.

I never even thought of that! It sounds like a great idea in theory but what if ya have another child, and another... I'll be stuck with call them all N hehe :p ive no idea on names though... Trust us to have girls names picked but not boys :o have you picked any names?

I never even thought of that! It sounds like a great idea in theory but what if ya have another child, and another... I'll be stuck with call them all N hehe :p ive no idea on names though... Trust us to have girls names picked but not boys :o have you picked any names?

The OH said this is it, we are finito. I can go somewhere else if i want a number 3 ;). We pretty much love the same girls name and we have a few boys names.

Last time we only had a boys name and out pops a girl but it was kind of nice deciding her name when we could look at her so i wouldnt worry if you dont have a boys name set by the time he arrives, it will come to ye soon after delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Aww congrats tigress. Delighted for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Digs wrote: »
    Excellent thanks how strange. I ended up ringing Holles Street to double check. The guy I was speaking to said I have to go to the booking apt on Wed and apply for the scheme at that.....he was foreign and his accent led to a little confusion on both our parts but the jist of it I think I got right!! Will proclaim innocence on Wed anyway and push for the scheme, really hope I can do it!!

You can ring the secretary of the Domino scheme, think the number is on the Holles St website, and speak to her directly, I think she's more clued in. You definitely want to get signed up as soon as possible as it fills up. (And they're brilliant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

NextSteps wrote: »
    You can ring the secretary of the Domino scheme, think the number is on the Holles St website, and speak to her directly, I think she's more clued in. You definitely want to get signed up as soon as possible as it fills up. (And they're brilliant!)

Am too late unfortunately :( Rang the secretary and they are all filled up for April so she took my details in case of cancellations and I am number 6 on the waiting list!! Gutted I didn't cop onto it sooner but sure what's meant to be is meant to be :) thanks for the info girls

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Lovely news tigress. Congratulations!! :DI can understand your excitment. :eek:Did you ask to know the gender?
    I have GP tomorrow to get things properly confirmed and the ball rolling. I'm so delighted now i can't tell you. DH has quite bad depression and was doing great . I told him the news last week and has started to panic a bit about money, the house, DD is young even yet etc etc. I'll need to get him sorted asap or it won't go well for anyone!:confused:

May79 wrote: »
    Lovely news tigress. Congratulations!! :DI can understand your excitment. :eek:Did you ask to know the gender?
    I have GP tomorrow to get things properly confirmed and the ball rolling. I'm so delighted now i can't tell you. DH has quite bad depression and was doing great . I told him the news last week and has started to panic a bit about money, the house, DD is young even yet etc etc. I'll need to get him sorted asap or it won't go well for anyone!:confused:

Good luck with the Doc :) very exciting time! So sorry you're OH is suffering so much :( we used to panic about bills etc but to be honest now we just don't bother worrying, lifes too short (cleche I know!) but what will be, will be & there's nothing that'll change that! Maybe if you can, bring him along so that he can voice his worried to the doctor aswell & maybe that'll help a little.. Yeah we were dying to know the sex! Funnily enough when she showed us his face we both knew it was a boy before she even confirmed it lol! He's very handsome :)

Princessa it is a very cute idea! Have you picked many with A as a name? How's the secret keeping going? I looked through a list of 1000 most popular world names yesterday & found 4 lol but one name is really standing out so we're using that name at home (when no one else is about) and seeing how it fits :) I have a feeling it might be the one though! A middle name is another story.. My OH picked N's middle name after his grandad who passed but he was super close too which I didn't mind at all! I'm maybe thinking after my uncle who died when I was a child but my OH is dead set on Danger being a middle name lol! He thinks it's the most awesome middle name ever haha!

Digs, sorry to hear you didn't get on the scheme but 6th on the lost isn't too bad! The chances are some of the other women will have to come off it if they get high blood pressure, GD etc so you may yet get on there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

May79 wrote: »

Good luck with the Doc :) very exciting time! So sorry you're OH is suffering so much :( we used to panic about bills etc but to be honest now we just don't bother worrying, lifes too short (cleche I know!) but what will be, will be & there's nothing that'll change that! Maybe if you can, bring him along so that he can voice his worried to the doctor aswell & maybe that'll help a little.. Yeah we were dying to know the sex! Funnily enough when she showed us his face we both knew it was a boy before she even confirmed it lol! He's very handsome :)

Princessa it is a very cute idea! Have you picked many with A as a name? How's the secret keeping going? I looked through a list of 1000 most popular world names yesterday & found 4 lol but one name is really standing out so we're using that name at home (when no one else is about) and seeing how it fits :) I have a feeling it might be the one though! A middle name is another story.. My OH picked N's middle name after his grandad who passed but he was super close too which I didn't mind at all! I'm maybe thinking after my uncle who died when I was a child but my OH is dead set on Danger being a middle name lol! He thinks it's the most awesome middle name ever haha!

Digs, sorry to hear you didn't get on the scheme but 6th on the lost isn't too bad! The chances are some of the other women will have to come off it if they get high blood pressure, GD etc so you may yet get on there :)
    My friend named her son with the middle name danger! I loved it and its so cute for her little boy who is a total charmer and little heart breaker! I tried the idea on my OH but he said no way haha! We are going to use middle names for family tribute stuff. So our little boy will have my grandfathers name as his middle. One I love the name, two I was very close to him and it was very hard for me when he passed away and three my boy is due the same day as my grandpas birthday how fitting!

We are going for our big anomaly scan today...excited to see baby and how big he has gotten! Also super curious as to how he is laying I can't figure it out at all!

Aww best of luck today Rachineire!! I hope ya get a good luck at your little man :) that's so lovely that he's due on your Grandad's Birthday & you're gonna give him the middle name! He's really trying to convince me of danger lol! It is kinda cool I'll admit!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Congrats Tigress, I'm glad your little man decided to stop being shy on camera. :)

Advertisement