Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am hoping for a boy but expect another girl.
    The eldest has a D name the next C so the hubby wants a B name for this baby.
    There are no nice B names so I am trying to get the dog included as the B name and move on to A names:)
    Though if it is a Christmas day baby I think it should be called Nollaig either way to make my life easier:)
    I have about 2 boys names and 10 girls ones:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Aw tigeress massive congratulations, the 3D scam is amazing isn't it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Scan went great, had nothing on the 3d scan though! Baby was head down and pretty low! Wonder if he will stay that way! I thought I had a lot of pressure down there alright, very waddley as well! Couldn't get a good picture of him at all- very uncooperative! He's measuring bang on, not too big or small and is already 3lb 9oz!!

Also went to penneys and bought the biggest sized hoodie I could find....sigh! Hopefully that will do for the next two months under my winter coat since it won't come,close to zipping up these days!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I regret not buying a maternity coat on my 1st but hoodies and fleeces got me through 2 freezing winters and now I think it is a bit late for the investment!!

You have me thinking of 3D scans now!! I never had one and now convinced I want one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Great news Rachineire. I got a mat coat from M&P last time. Only €50 and looked well, wore it from Oct though to March BUT it got very balley and bobbly? I couldn't wear it aain. Pity as it was great swingy one. Looked like a normal coat until people realised my news and then it just tented out in front of me as time went on.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I regret not buying a maternity coat on my 1st but hoodies and fleeces got me through 2 freezing winters and now I think it is a bit late for the investment!!

You have me thinking of 3D scans now!! I never had one and now convinced I want one:)
    The 3d scan is pricey but I think it was worth every cent! I'm so happy we did it, the clarity is amazing! I could even hold a picture of baby up to a picture of my OH from when he was a kid and pick out similar features! I say if your able to go for it!
    Yeah I would have liked a maternity coat but I couldn't justify the cost. We still have a few bits and pieces left to buy for baby and with Christmas on the way as well! Maybe next time I'll buy a nice one! (If there is a next time, the way I feel some days this baby is going to be an only child!!)

After labour on my 1st I could not understand why people would have any more:)
    The feeling lasted a few days and I was hoping the next would be very soon lol
    I had a really really quick labour (40 minutes)on #2 so a little bit nervous that this maybe faster.
    No matter what you think there is nothing pleasant about having the baby that fast!! I was in shock after and the pain was unbareable. The previous one was about 3 hours and was alot easier and less pain.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I got a maternity coat on adverts.ie for €20. I won't need it for that long in this pregnancy but it was definitely worth it for the few times I've already worn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

iguana wrote: »
    I got a maternity coat on adverts.ie for €20. I won't need it for that long in this pregnancy but it was definitely worth it for the few times I've already worn it.

How far gone are you now Iguana??
    Your pregnancy has flown for me :P

Glad it's gone fast for someone! :)

I'm 37 weeks today so full term but I'm telling myself 5 more weeks so I can cope better if I go overdue.

I got my whooping cough vaccine yesterday and my right arm is almost dead today from it. For those who don't know, there's a big outbreak of whooping cough in the UK with at least 5000 cases and 9 babies have so far died from it. All the babies who died were less than 10-12 weeks which is when the vaccine babies get at 8 weeks starts working fully. So as a result the NHS has decided to vaccinate all third tri women, with the booster shot given to 3 year olds in the hope that she'll pass on the antibodies through the placenta, and if she breastfeeds in her milk, so the newborns will be protected. It's a bit scary as the vaccine hasn't been used on pregnant women before but even none fatal whooping cough can lead to lifelong complications, so I thought it was best to get vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Speaking of vaccines, I got the flu vaccine in the chemist's yesterday, as per the HSE reccommendation. No side effects whatsoever, and glad I've done it. Flu plus pregnancy would be too much to take!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm torn re the flu vaccine. I hate getting an unnecessary vaccine. Is anyone ese the same or have you all gotten it?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

yellow hen wrote: »
    I'm torn re the flu vaccine. I hate getting an unnecessary vaccine. Is anyone ese the same or have you all gotten it?

I never get it, i am a student nurse and every year since 1st year they have "encouraged" me to get it and i never have, def wont be getting it this year either.

I have all my other vaccines inc my Hep B vaccine and my daughter has all hers just a personal choice to say a massive no no to flu/swine flu vaccines for myself and my daughter.

Its your body, your choice at the end of the day yellow hen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I got the vaccine... The complications of bad flu are worse than the risk from the vaccine - which as inactivated vaccine - is negligible . Agree it's totally personal choice tho!

3rd pregnancy never got the flu vaccine or the swine flu vaccine while pregnant and do not intend to.
    I looked in to it but decided against it.

I am usually pro vaccines though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I never got it last year when pregnant on the (off the record) advice of my midwife.
    Glad I didn't now but I agree everyone has to make the decision that is right for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I never got it last year when pregnant on the (off the record) advice of my midwife.
    Glad I didn't now but I agree everyone has to make the decision that is right for them.

Did she say why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

NextSteps wrote: »

Did she say why?

She said the vaccine was rolled out too quickly with not enough testing done for her to feel confortable recommending it.
    She also said the flu couldn't harm the baby & once the mother has no underlying health issues that she should have no problem fighting the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

She said the vaccine was rolled out too quickly with not enough testing done for her to feel confortable recommending it.
    She also said the flu couldn't harm the baby & once the mother has no underlying health issues that she should have no problem fighting the virus.
    Yes the flu can't harm the baby directly BUT if you're pregnant, a strong fever (a symptom of the flu) CAN be harmful to the baby. I agree that taking the vaccine is a personal choice but there is a lot of misinformation out there.

EDIT: I got the vaccine last autumn when I was pregnant. No side effects (except a bit of tiredness which I don't know if it was a result of the vaccine or just being pregnant). I already was not immune to rubella so I avoided public transport/crowded places anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I am still undecided on whether to get the vaccine or not, i think i will do a bit of research before my next GP visit. I had mumps & viral meningitis 3 years ago so back then I was advised to have the vaccine as my immune is quite low, i had flu type symptoms for 2 days after it and then i was fine but i wasn't pregnant back then! I had a rubella test done in Jan before TTC as advised from my gp due to the fact i had mumps and test came back i was immune, 8 months later on my booking appt in hosp their test came back im not immune, with having a low immune system im swaying towards getting the vaccine but as i said i need to research it and be sure that it wont harm the baby in any way.

• Advertisement

Yay! The car seat arrived in the last hour so this baby is now free to join us whenever he is ready. There are a couple more things we'd ideally like to achieve before he arrives (like get the dogs groomed again and valet the car so we won't have to worry about dog hairs/smell for a while) but all the essentials are in place now.

My midwife called around this morning to talk through my birth plan and she did a quick check on bubs and declared his head is engaged. They've cleared me for the amazing birth centre if I want to go there but she stressed that I can change my mind at any point and go to the nearby hospital or midwife led unit there too if I want. I can even be in the car to the birth centre and decide screw it, lets go to the hospital, as we drive past it if I want. Obviously if I go past 42 weeks or there is meconium in my waters, etc, I have to go to the hospital straight away but other than that it's up to me. Then she and my husband had a chat about his work and how he works with her best friend's niece. :)

It's all starting to get very real now!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kvicka

wouldnt get any vaccines, esp when preggers. esp the flu one. think my body is well able to fight it itslef whether pregnant or not. dont trust this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Oh Iguana you're so close now :) very exciting getting the car seat! It might seem like forever away but your man will be here in no time! Have you got your name picked?

I never got the flu vaccine on N and don't intend to on this little fella either.. My GP advised me to get it on N but also told me his wife who was expecting at the time aswell didn't get it so I just said no thanks. It's a very personal choice though & I wouldn't judge anyone for getting it I just didn't for no reason but I figured how many times have you actuay gotten the flu, or known someone who's had it & not just a bad cold..

Yeah, we had our name pretty quickly after finding out he is a boy. It was the only one we could both agree on, though I was a bit concerned that it's very popular, so we said we'd try it out on the bump for a week and it stuck. It's a sort of sore spot with my in-laws at the moment though as my husband was annoyed that they thought we'd give the baby a really out there name, so he told them we've chosen Spike. Which they are really, really not happy about. It's a really funny story but I'm waiting until it's resolved before I put it up on an Irish board.

As for him coming soon, I've actually hit a point where I think I'd be ok with him staying inside for another 6 months. I'm suddenly a bit terrified about it all. I have this irrational fear that it's going to be like having a really lazy, really demanding flatmate for the next couple of decades. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Hi all, just a random question for a friend.

She's pregnant, and she's a full time college student. She works part time behind the bar in a night club part time, 8pm -4am shifts. She's currently 34 weeks along and they still have her serving customers behind the bar and cleaning toilets when the place closes. They basically have her on her feet all night, and she's been reduced to tears more than once over comments from drunken customers.

She asked to be switched to cloakroom duties or to move up to the office to take care of the Admin side of things just until she goes on mat leave but they won't budge.

The staff uniform also consists of 3 inch heels, I know these aren't massive but considering how far along she is, she's in agony. They won't let her wear flat shoes, they're insisting on the heels. We're all really worried about her.

Are they allowed to do this? Or are they entitled to give her whatever duties they want without taking her pregnancy into consideration?

Whoa that doesn't sound right at all!! I would be all over citizens information if I were her. I know you have to provide a chair first of all for a pregnant woman. And making her wear heels? That's just dangerous and there is probably something about that as well. Also I had to sign paperwork with my company stating I wasn't doing certain things like climbing ladders, lifting heavy objects, opening or closing by myself or working with chemicals that could cause harm to the baby (like cleaning toilets). Your employer is meant to provide you an alternative when you are expecting. So say I worked stock in tescos, then they would HAVE to put me in customer service or on a till where I can sit and not lift and etc.
    Your friends boss sounds like a bully and what he's doing sounds illegal to me! I have no clue how she's doing bar work at 34 weeks on heels! Best of luck to her and I hope she gets it sorted!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

iguana wrote: »
    Yeah, we had our name pretty quickly after finding out he is a boy. It was the only one we could both agree on, though I was a bit concerned that it's very popular, so we said we'd try it out on the bump for a week and it stuck. It's a sort of sore spot with my in-laws at the moment though as my husband was annoyed that they thought we'd give the baby a really out there name, so he told them we've chosen Spike. Which they are really, really not happy about. It's a really funny story but I'm waiting until it's resolved before I put it up on an Irish board.

As for him coming soon, I've actually hit a point where I think I'd be ok with him staying inside for another 6 months. I'm suddenly a bit terrified about it all. I have this irrational fear that it's going to be like having a really lazy, really demanding flatmate for the next couple of decades. :o

We went from one end of a baby name book to the other and couldnt pick one. Finally when baby was 5 days old and we were leaving the hospital we picked a name that wasnt in the book at all. I think we chose well, everyone likes it and its not too nuts or overused.

Lol at the flatmate - a lazy demanding one that parties all night when you have to get up in the morning! :D

I miss being pregnant...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Well I've been having terrible sharp pains since the early hours of this morning and they're not letting up so I called the hospital who asked me to come in.. So I'm sitting here waiting to see a Doc :( baby is moving fine so I know everything is ok they're just worried about early labour.. I personally think it might just be braxton hicks that are painful for some reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Tigeress wrote: »
    Well I've been having terrible sharp pains since the early hours of this morning and they're not letting up so I called the hospital who asked me to come in.. So I'm sitting here waiting to see a Doc :( baby is moving fine so I know everything is ok they're just worried about early labour.. I personally think it might just be braxton hicks that are painful for some reason..

Best of luck Tigeress, how many weeks are you now? Keep us updated.x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Tigeress wrote: »

Aw pet I hope ur ok?
    Must be so frightening :(
    Hope all is well, I'll be thinking of ya, x

Advertisement