Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Tigeress wrote: »
    I'm with Portlaoise hospital and they get everyone to take it as far as I know.. In my case my grandad had diabeties & my last baby was nearly 10lb so I had to have it done..

My family is riddled with diabetes and I told them numerous times and they never sent me for the test.
    Zoe was nearly 10lb too,dunno whether it was related or not!

Glad your ok tigeress x

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Princessa wrote: »
    Pop into mothercare or one of the baby stores, there may be another mattress from a different brand thats a similiar size to ye'r travel system that ye can pop in, or something from a moses basket if ye are nervous. They are all about the same size...

We've tried that but they are all inches too short and narrow :(
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    Do you know the brand?

Its a Graco.

But, does everyone use a mattress or is it normal now not to?

Been a long time since I had these worries :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What do you mean by an insert? Most pram carrycots I've seen have had a 'mattress' which is basically a piece of foam about an inch or two thick with a cotton coverlet around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Chucken wrote: »
    We've tried that but they are all inches too short and narrow

What about this....

http://michaelguineys.ie/baby-nursery/74-x-36cm-oval-mattress.html

or smaller again....

http://michaelguineys.ie/baby-nursery/66-x-30cm-oval-mattress.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

We've tried that but they are all inches too short and narrow :(

Its a Graco.

But, does everyone use a mattress or is it normal now not to?

Been a long time since I had these worries :)

http://ec2-176-34-236-125.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/2012/news/29-jobs-to-go-as-liquidator-appointed-to-guineys/

Chucken, you'd better hurry before the liquidator has them in the boot of his car. :)

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    What do you mean by an insert? Most pram carrycots I've seen have had a 'mattress' which is basically a piece of foam about an inch or two thick with a cotton coverlet around it.

Yes, thats it but this doesnt have it (2nd hand :()

Thats the thing. Ive just measured the carry cot and its only 60cm x 24cm.
    Its very small. I'm tempted to look for another one.

Baby is measuring 16inches now! (40cm)

Yes, thats it but this doesnt have it (2nd hand :()

Thats the thing. Ive just measured the carry cot and its only 60cm x 24cm.
    Its very small. I'm tempted to look for another one.

Baby is measuring 16inches now! (40cm)

Wouldnt you consider Just buying the cheap mattress from Michael Guineys, its a foam one and you could cut it to size. Pop a flat sheet over it and stick it in the pram, nobody will know the difference and baby will be comfy out. A stanley knife will do the job nicely to trim it to make it smaller and the mattress is under 12e. Babs has a new mattress too which they recommend anyways....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

@chucken have you tried ebay?

Wouldnt you consider Just buying the cheap mattress from Michael Guineys, its a foam one and you could cut it to size. Pop a flat sheet over it and stick it in the pram, nobody will know the difference and baby will be comfy out. A stanley knife will do the job nicely to trim it to make it smaller and the mattress is under 12e. Babs has a new mattress too which they recommend anyways....

That sounds like the best idea, as long as its ok to cut it?!

I suppose as long as its done neatly it'll be fine :)

*phew* another worry gone.

Thanks a million for the help ladies and best of luck to you all xxx :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If it is a dedicated pram it will usually need a mattress,if it is a seat that goes flat like the Graco quattro tour deluxe there is no need for one but you can get a cocoon instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That sounds like the best idea, as long as its ok to cut it?!

I suppose as long as its done neatly it'll be fine :)

I think that sounds like the best idea. A pillowcase could also be used for a sheet for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Just tried a pillowcase on my uppababy carry cot mattress and it fits like a glove! The ones from penneys are fantastic as well because they have a sewn fold bit over the end! Will be picking up some over the weekend and not bothering with overpriced Moses basket sheets! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Rachineire wrote: »
    Just tried a pillowcase on my uppababy carry cot mattress and it fits like a glove! The ones from penneys are fantastic as well because they have a sewn fold bit over the end! Will be picking up some over the weekend and not bothering with overpriced Moses basket sheets! :D

That's what I did too! I got some Flannelette pillow cases for the colder months as I found they fabric held the heat and didnt have alot of cold spots :) Guineys do them quite cheap too! It's the only sheets I use on his cot bed now too!

Ok am i the only one that hasn't bought anything yet? Or does wool for hats,mittens and cardigans count? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thumby wrote: »
    Ok am i the only one that hasn't bought anything yet? Or does wool for hats,mittens and cardigans count? Lol

I think you're only 2-3 weeks ahead of me thumby. I'm looking at things but I dont intend to buy until around Christmas/January....we're hoping some things might be slightly reduced in the sales.

I am so confused by buggies. What is everyone buying? I liked the icandys but they're expensive and some of the reviews are dubious. Now we're looking at a quinny buzz...I had never wanted a 3 wheel buggy but I think I could get over that!

yellow hen wrote: »
    I think you're only 2-3 weeks ahead of me thumby. I'm looking at things but I dont intend to buy until around Christmas/January....we're hoping some things might be slightly reduced in the sales.

I am so confused by buggies. What is everyone buying? I liked the icandys but they're expensive and some of the reviews are dubious. Now we're looking at a quinny buzz...I had never wanted a 3 wheel buggy but I think I could get over that!

The ones that seem to be coming up here the most are the uppababy, quinny, baby elegance. We got the maxi cosi mura. Havent taken it out of the box yet to assemble it but we both loved it in the shop so we just went for it straight away. Ha ha its the only one we both liked ha ha.

I have been picking up a few things just weekly thumby but i am far from sorted for this little ones arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

We are done buying clothes and bits for the time being. Need to buy cot mattress and nappy bag still but we are leaving everything else for the very end. My friends are doing a baby shower for me Nov 3rd so I'm hoping to get a few bits there :D I had all of my big stuff purchased by 26 weeks and I'm sooo happy now that I jumped the gun early. My OH doesn't drive and there is no way I could have been going all over to check out prams and cots now at 32 weeks!
    Thanks tigress I will check out guineys for the flanelette pillowcases. I was actually thinking that myself since I'm having a winter baby and we plan on using the carrycot as the Moses basket.

@yellow hen. We're waiting till the sales start as well, although himself wants to go on one mad spree and get all the "big" things before xmas. I said no. Lol. I just don't see the point in spending hundreds more instead of waiting an extra few weeks.
    @princessa knowing you and your lists you'll be well sorted before xmas :-)
    I might pick up a couple of packs of baby grows and vests etc if they confirm that my little man is actually a little man today.
    I'm just reluctant to start buying anything for some reason this time round, not sure why. *shrugs shoulders*

Best of luck at your appointment today Thumby. Ha ha yeah i was so excited yesterday. i got to tick off changing mat off my list. (8e in mothercare ladies of anybody looking for a cheap one - cheaper than smyths) I love those little ticks on my list ha ha.

Let us know what the Doc says at your apt and dont hold your pee incase you have to queue just to check in ;)

Its just my anomly scan today no doc, i hope depending on what the sonographer says regarding my poxy placenta. Speaking of i may go throw myself into the shower and get ready.

• Advertisement

Good luck today Thumby! Hope your little one co operates!
    I'm just about to turn 29 weeks and haven't bought anything yet! My little man is 9.5 months & as we're having another boy we have all his stuff! I plan on buying a few new baby grows & an outfit just so not everything is handed down :o we don't have a whole lot to buy so maybe in 2 weeks after pay day we'll go sort it all in one go!
    With the buggys I originally got the Mothercare Spin but after bringing 2 back with issues & finding out we're expecting again we went with the Phil & Teds Vibe. If you're planning on not leaving too big a gap between pregnancies it's worth looking at their range as they can be used as single or double if needed!

Just to let you know, we got the mattress today and cut it to fit....its perfect :)

Thanks everyone for your help.

Well babs is grand, weighing in at about 1lb. Sonographer was lovely went through everything with us detail by detail. We got some brilliant pix including a full on face view :-D
    Unfortunately i def have a low lying placenta. It's not covering the cervix but is only 8mm away (2cm is "safe" zone apparently) but she's hoping it moves the rest of the way by my next scan at 34 weeks.
    How's everyone else today? All good i hope. :-)
    Glad ya got sorted chucken.
    @tigress you're almost sorted so seeing as you've still got alot of stuff from your other little lad.
    Oh i finally have something for the babs. I have literally just finished his first hat. Don't feel quite so bad now lol.

Just to let you know, we got the mattress today and cut it to fit....its perfect :)

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Thumby wrote: »
    I have literally just finished his first hat. Don't feel quite so bad now lol.

Thats brilliant chucken and with a sheet over it nobody will be any the wiser. One less thing to stress about.

Thumby do you knit or crochet? My mum is home this day next week. She crochets so im going to ask her to do me cardigans, blankets and i really want to learn myself. Its such a lovely skill.... :D

I do both princessa. My nana thought me when i was lil un lol. But i'm knitting these for now. Fingers are a lil bit swollen and puffy with fluid retention so don't have the paitence for crochet atm. lol.
    It's actually fairly easy to pick up princessa, maybe you should give it a bash while your mam is home.

Oh god you have fluid retension too you poor thing. Yeah i am going to get her to show me, i can try something simple like a straight scarf or something for myself.

So we had little madam in crying at 4.30am this morning that she wasnt getting back in her bed and she wanted to sleep in with mammy and daddy. Daddy was wrecked after work so threw her in the bed. I was having none of this and brought her repeatedly back to her own room and she settled again just after 5am. I hate the whole idea of letting kids into the bed during the middle of the night, a cuddle in the morning is fine but letting them into sleep is just personally a no no for me. My sister did it with my niece and she came in until she was 8, my 2 year old nephew is in the bed every night from about 12 with my brother.

Im really worried now though that when the baby will be sleeping in the moses basket beside us that there will be world war 3 at 4/5am in the mornings with her. I am going to try explain that babies need to feed all the time and when baby is bigger he/she will go into their own room too but i dont know how much of that she will understand being only 3. Anybody else have a problem like this and how did ye deal with it? Maybe she will be fine but she was bloody adamant last night she was getting in with us even though we never let her in the bed...

29 weeks today! Really feeling exhausted now & it seems my little man just gets more active by the day! I had terrible SPD on my last pregnancy but this time I haven't had any until the last few days & the pains in my groin area are awful :( can't wait to be able to leave work! I'm oy back since Aug lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Tigeress wrote: »
    29 weeks today! Really feeling exhausted now & it seems my little man just gets more active by the day! I had terrible SPD on my last pregnancy but this time I haven't had any until the last few days & the pains in my groin area are awful :( can't wait to be able to leave work! I'm oy back since Aug lol!

SPD? sorry, Im only 21 weeks so seeing what's ahead of me! :eek:

Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)
    I wouldn't worry Yellow Hen :) not everyone gets it! It's basically when your pelvic bone causes pain during pregnancy, there are different stages of it, some women get it a whole lot worse then others.. I had it horribly on my last preg but it's only starting on this one now & not as bad so far :) I work in retail so it's worse when I'm standing all day in work..

Your pregnancy is flying through! I remember you confirming your BFP :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The ones that seem to be coming up here the most are the uppababy, quinny, baby elegance. We got the maxi cosi mura. Havent taken it out of the box yet to assemble it but we both loved it in the shop so we just went for it straight away. Ha ha its the only one we both liked ha ha.

I have been picking up a few things just weekly thumby but i am far from sorted for this little ones arrival.

Best buggy ever you will love it:)

Advertisement