Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Best buggy ever you will love it:)

Just looked it up and it lovely!

The following vary in design and extras but still a mad variation on prices :eek:
    http://eurobabynursery.com/ie/product/maxi-cosi/mura-package-deal-grey-slice

http://www.bellababy.ie/mura-travel-package-p-1882.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Yikes - just told our first ppl our news - out of 4 ppl 3 said - not again??

Seriously ppl... Tact would be nice!!!!

Only 12 & 1/2 weeks so I've a lot more of this to out up with!! Tigress ur head must be wrecked!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

dublinlady wrote: »

Only 12 & 1/2 weeks so I've a lot more of this to out up with!! Tigress ur head must be wrecked!!!

Lol yeah you do think you'd get a Congrats lol but they're few & far between! You'll learn to giggle at them though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Ahhh boo! What's wrong with people!! Congrats Dublinlady!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

yellow hen wrote: »
    Just looked it up and it lovely!

The following vary in design and extras but still a mad variation on prices :eek:
    http://eurobabynursery.com/ie/product/maxi-cosi/mura-package-deal-grey-slice

http://www.bellababy.ie/mura-travel-package-p-1882.html

The car seat and base are expensive and the proper pram top but it does seem a bit steep:)

It was about 900 in southern Ireland when we got it(the full package) but 500 pounds in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Aww:) How many do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We detected a distinct lack of excitement when we announced our news at the weekend compared to when we said we were expected our son (our first and the first grandchild on my husbands side).

I don't think anything ever matches the excitement of the 1st:) but all are soo exciting.
    We still have the only grandchildren on both sides:)

I don't think anything ever matches the excitement of the 1st:) but all are soo exciting.
    We still have the only grandchildren on both sides:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

At least you didn't get any 'Ah - I thought you just hadn't shifted the baby weight.'

• Advertisement

Aww:) How many do you have?

Just one :) I think it was more the speed as she's only just gone 8 months, I think it's cos I'm only back at work 6 weeks and they haven't really seen me since I had her!

Def lack if buzz around subsequent babies - but saying that I'm less excited in a way myself! Just as happy - just not as giddy!!!

People are just going to expect me to be expecting in Jan 2015.
    I have Jan 09,Jan 11 and end of Dec 12/Jan 2013.
    I had hoped for less of a gap but sure it is how it happens and 2 years is lovely.

That is a short gap but sure they will grow up together and be the best of friends:)

I mind a January 2010 baby and he and my 2 girls are the best of friends well except for the fights and arguing but that is to be expected from all kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Baby has the hiccups hehe! Whole stomach jumping for the last ten minutes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

People are just going to expect me to be expecting in Jan 2015.
    I have Jan 09,Jan 11 and end of Dec 12/Jan 2013.
    I had hoped for less of a gap but sure it is how it happens and 2 years is lovely.

That is a short gap but sure they will grow up together and be the best of friends:)

I mind a January 2010 baby and he and my 2 girls are the best of friends well except for the fights and arguing but that is to be expected from all kids.

Moonbeam you are such a busy lady!! Im going to have a three year age gap and im a bit nervous, shes kinda used to being the only little princess. Theres two years between my three nephews and i think they just accepted it when the next one came along where as i think we may have more trouble. We didnt really get the terrible two with her but she is going through the terrible nearly threes for sure. Foot stomping, giving out, the works. Heres hoping that she loves her sibling and its like they were always here after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Princessa wrote: »

Moonbeam you are such a busy lady!! Im going to have a three year age gap and im a bit nervous, shes kinda used to being the only little princess. Theres two years between my three nephews and i think they just accepted it when the next one came along where as i think we may have more trouble. We didnt really get the terrible two with her but she is going through the terrible nearly threes for sure. Foot stomping, giving out, the works. Heres hoping that she loves her sibling and its like they were always here after a few weeks.

Princessa, when my sister had her second child she bought a present for her first child from the new baby. So when my nephew went up to the hospital to see the new baby there was a present for him. It helped him accept the baby more (he kept saying he didn't want it before he was born)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

Hi there,I was just looking for some info on feeding,I am hoping to breastfeed this time around.I realise at the start I will be exclusivly brestfeeding to bulid up the supply but i'm wondering what I should buy beforehand.I'm nervous about coming home from hospital and not having any bottles or pumps and that and something happening that I need to feed baby a bottle.We don't live too near any baby shops to just be able to go out and buy something easily.What did other people do?buy a small set of bottles with a manual pump and a steriliser-is this my best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

meggysmom wrote: »
    Hi there,I was just looking for some info on feeding,I am hoping to breastfeed this time around.I realise at the start I will be exclusivly brestfeeding to bulid up the supply but i'm wondering what I should buy beforehand.I'm nervous about coming home from hospital and not having any bottles or pumps and that and something happening that I need to feed baby a bottle.We don't live too near any baby shops to just be able to go out and buy something easily.What did other people do?buy a small set of bottles with a manual pump and a steriliser-is this my best option?

Hi mm, I am like you. even if the breastfeeding goes accroding to plan though, I would like to be able to express to a bottle so my husband can feed the baby too. I was in mothercare yesterday and they happened to have a 50% sale on so i bought the avent micro steriliser and a starter set of avent bottles for a total of €26. Would be interested in what the new mums here have to say though.

Thanks YH yes I see mothercare have there sale on so i'm thinking even though i'm almost at week 17 it might be time to buy if the sale is that good, although maybe they wil have another in the new year,don't know why i'm fretting so much,you would think I was due anyday=haha:)Just have visions of being at home in the middle of the night with baby hungry and me having no milk or too sore to feed-these are all worse case senarios I know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Thanks YH yes I see mothercare have there sale on so i'm thinking even though i'm almost at week 17 it might be time to buy if the sale is that good, although maybe they wil have another in the new year,don't know why i'm fretting so much,you would think I was due anyday=haha:)Just have visions of being at home in the middle of the night with baby hungry and me having no milk or too sore to feed-these are all worse case senarios I know:)

It's a good idea to be prepared for EVERY eventuality! Hopefully the b feeding goes great and there's no reason it shouldn't but I think it's always a good idea to have a bottle or two and some tetra pack ready made formula JUST IN CASE.

Yellow Hen, if u can change the avent bottles to tommee tippee if you intend to bf and eventually express. They are the closest nipple to bf and cause less nipple confusion.

So exciting girls buying all these bits n bobs, wouldn't mind a whirl again at it myself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Hi mm, I am like you. even if the breastfeeding goes accroding to plan though, I would like to be able to express to a bottle so my husband can feed the baby too. I was in mothercare yesterday and they happened to have a 50% sale on so i bought the avent micro steriliser and a starter set of avent bottles for a total of €26. Would be interested in what the new mums here have to say though.

What I did was have a set of Avent bottles (the newborn starter set), the microwave steriliser bought before hand and a few cartons of formula. If you plan on breastfeeding don't bother with the powdered formula because it has to be used up in a month for the start! My little girl wouldn't feed from the right hand side at first so I had to pump from that side: I had an Avent manual pump: don't bother with manual. It's a pain in the neck and awkward to say the least! I have the NUK electric pump now and it's perfect for me: I know other people swear by the Medela pumps though. I had to use a little bit of formula at the start becaue they thought babs had lost more than 15% of her body weight so I was grateful I had bottles etc ready to go.

I never had any issues swapping between bottle/soother and breast. That's obviously not to say other people wouldn't but I had no issues at all. Nuk are supposed to be great for swapping between but C refuses to drink from them: and I love them they are so pretty!

The other thing I wish I'd had in advance was nipple shields. I will honestly say hand on heart if I hadn't gone and bought them I would have stopped feeding in the first week. There are pros and cons to everything but my nipples were so sore and cracked I couldn't have kept going. I know some people have problems swapping off them afterwards though so it is a decision to make for yourselves.

Almost 16weeks in now and I love breastfeeding. The first 4weeks were really hard but ever since it has been great. There are always hiccups but it is great.

The other thing I'd reccomend is having the details of the breastfeeding support groups in your area. Invaluable!!

• Advertisement

thanks girls for all the info,it's great to get feedback from mothers who have been there and done it:)I am planning on going for the tommee tippee for the reasons mentioned above:).I will have to source a good inexpensive electric breast pump,i might try to hold off buying one as they are quite expensive and what if BF doesn't work out!!

Tommee tippee bottles are brilliant for combined feeding,the avent ones failed for us.
    I have an avent manual breast pump that I never once had success with bu had no issues with the Medlla one.

cyning wrote: »
    What I did was have a set of Avent bottles (the newborn starter set), the microwave steriliser bought before hand and a few cartons of formula. If you plan on breastfeeding don't bother with the powdered formula because it has to be used up in a month for the start! My little girl wouldn't feed from the right hand side at first so I had to pump from that side: I had an Avent manual pump: don't bother with manual. It's a pain in the neck and awkward to say the least! I have the NUK electric pump now and it's perfect for me: I know other people swear by the Medela pumps though. I had to use a little bit of formula at the start becaue they thought babs had lost more than 15% of her body weight so I was grateful I had bottles etc ready to go.

I never had any issues swapping between bottle/soother and breast. That's obviously not to say other people wouldn't but I had no issues at all. Nuk are supposed to be great for swapping between but C refuses to drink from them: and I love them they are so pretty!

The other thing I wish I'd had in advance was nipple shields. I will honestly say hand on heart if I hadn't gone and bought them I would have stopped feeding in the first week. There are pros and cons to everything but my nipples were so sore and cracked I couldn't have kept going. I know some people have problems swapping off them afterwards though so it is a decision to make for yourselves.

Almost 16weeks in now and I love breastfeeding. The first 4weeks were really hard but ever since it has been great. There are always hiccups but it is great.

The other thing I'd reccomend is having the details of the breastfeeding support groups in your area. Invaluable!!

Nipple shields-wow never heard of them,I will take a brestfeeding class after christmas so hopefully I will be more clued in then:)

Tommee tippee bottles are brilliant for combined feeding,the avent ones failed for us.
    I have an avent manual breast pump that I never once had success with bu had no issues with the Medlla one.
    .Is it the manual medella pump you used?this was the one my former boss used in US also with great success,maybe I will give that a try,Thank you:)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I got these which I found great for emergencies. Great to have a box or two if you encounter difficulties in the wee hours. They are expensive though, so unless you are minted, you probably only want a box or two in the event baby is screaming his head off and you have no bottles newly sterilised. Tesco stock them as do Dunnes.

I got a cheap microwave steriliser and a set of 6 tommie tippee bottles in Argos half price, so the lot cost me €26 too. I got a carton of powdered formula when I introduced the bedtime bottle but it gave baby the runs, so I switched to the tetra pak individual ones which are about 79c in Dunnes/Tesco.

Since I breastfeed the rest of the time, there is no point in buying the larger pre-made forumla as you need to use it up in 24hrs which I never would, so the cartons work out better for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Neyite wrote: »

I got a cheap microwave steriliser and a set of 6 tommie tippee bottles in Argos half price, so the lot cost me €26 too. I got a carton of powdered formula when I introduced the bedtime bottle but it gave baby the runs, so I switched to the tetra pak individual ones which are about 79c in Dunnes/Tesco.

Sorry to butt in but this bottle/sterilise and the wide ranges of them has me baffled. I have only seen advent microwave sterilisers but haven't really killed myself looking. Are most of them interchangeable as in if you buy tommie tipee bottles will they fit into a different brand steriliser?

Digs wrote: »

Sorry to butt in but this bottle/sterilise and the wide ranges of them has me baffled. I have only seen advent microwave sterilisers but haven't really killed myself looking. Are most of them interchangeable as in if you buy tommie tipee bottles will they fit into a different brand steriliser?

I know the dr browns bottles fit in the avent electric one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Digs wrote: »

I got an electric advent steriliser and have put Dr browne and tommee tippee
    bottles in it. Would only hold 3 Dr brownes because of all the extra parts but would hold 5 Tomme tippees. Also got a loan of a tommee tippee microwave sterliser when going away and it held 3 Dr Brownes .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

I use the Doctor Brown's bottles and love them! The anti colic is brilliant! We also use the Tommee Tippee Steriliser and it holds 3 bottles at a time as the doc bottles have a lot of accessories.

I had another scan today & the Doc was suprised at how big my little boy is already! Said he should be about 1lb but he's nearly 3lb!!! Back in 3 weeks and said they'll look again and go from there, she said if he's another whopper it'll def be an elective section again but not to expect a for sure answer until about 35 weeks.. Eek!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

god tigeress your little man is flying it isnt he :) everything going ok though yeah :)

Advertisement