Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

Thumby wrote: »
    @tigress, I've been getting extremely strong bh's the last god knows how long, the more pregnancies ya have the worse they get i've been told, along with that "they aren't painful" mantra is also an urban legand of the pregnancy world (my hosp docs words not mine lol). The kidney infection makes the actual contractions worse and can bring on preterm labour because of it.
    @yh, i think the bedrest thing is only until they put me on more antibiotics and can clear the infection up (hopefully).

Fingers crossed for iguana :D
    Hi thumby,just a question regarding the BH.When did they start for you?Is this your 3rd pregnancy?It is my second and I have been having them since week 16,now my pelvic pain is showing up too.I am almost 19 weeks and feel at this stage I won't be able to walk by the time week 30 comes.I admire you for being able to rest with other children to look after.I have 1 little one and I just don't get the time to rest,she doesn't really understand that I have too and I feel really guilty lying on the couch:(Having a down day today because of this and worried about premature labour!!I have my 1st consultant appt tomorrow thank God so maybe he can put my mind at ease.
    I am hoping to start physio but at 50 euro a pop,having it every week until i'm term is going to be so expensive.I am thinking of getting the birthing ball and pelvic support belt for now and waiting until later and do physio if I need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Had a GP check up this morning and baby is very low and breech.. He still has time to turn though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

ooooo best of luck iguana!!

Murdy- Don't worry about not being as sick, enjoy it because you might find yourself very ill tomorrow! Your body is probably adjusting to the heightened level of hormones (which is what makes you feel so ill). I found that by weeks 10 and 11 I felt not sick at all, which of course drove me mental, but everything was fine I had just adjusted. So try to not worry (easier said than done I know!!)

I finally got proper sleep...WOO! my body is wrecked from being in one position for so long, but i feel so rested. Better enjoy this feeling while it lasts hehe!
    I'm really not feeling like baby is going to wait until due date...is that wishful thinking or mothers intuition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reassurance ladies, it's easy to drive yourself mad, isn't it? I really appreciate being able to talk to other people who understand. I'm the first of my friends to have a baby so it's great to have other people in the same situation to talk to.

I do still feel nauseated anyway, just a lot less than I have been so I should try not to get too worked up. There's nothing I can do whatever happens anyway!

We're both really looking forward to the scan - we're happy to pay the €99 just to get to see something now instead of waiting until my 12 week appointment.

WE were all like that at some stage (the first pregnancy worries and doubts over stuff) so don't be stressing yourself out over being the first of your friends to have a bean and not have anyone to talk to about all of this. That's what the forum is here for. We can't give medical advice which is only right, but anytime you have a need to vent or just want to know something we're all happy to help. At least that's what i've found the ladies on the fourm to be like anyway.
    Tigeress wrote: »
    Thumby, I'm with ya on the BH! I didn't really get them on my lat Preg but they're very strong this time and very sore, dispute being told they cause no pain! I really hope your kidney infection eases up soon :( and you get to move about again! You must be counting the days down now! How come they haven't given you any antibiotics yet?

My gp had me on augmentum 125mg for a week which didn't work and I ended up in the coombe because of that. They sent off a sample to the lab to be tested but it came back mixed cultures whatever that is so they told me to get in contact with my gp and see what the sample he sent to Naas hospital came back as. Just spoke to him about half an hour ago and his sample came back as a partially treated infection so there is no def infection showing up as far as he's concerend but yet the hospital said there is, both samples were given on the same day so i'm rightly confused now. Anyway i'm back in the Coombe Friday for an ante-natal app and he said to just collect the lab results from his office on the way and let the hospital see what they want to do about it.
    I know it's a terrible thing to say but right now i just can't wait for this to end. The braxton hicks are killing me atm as I was bold and took a walk over to the post office and the bank, bills needed to be paid so i'd no choice as my brother had borrowed my car for work this morning.
    meggysmom wrote: »
    Hi thumby,just a question regarding the BH.When did they start for you?Is this your 3rd pregnancy?It is my second and I have been having them since week 16,now my pelvic pain is showing up too.I am almost 19 weeks and feel at this stage I won't be able to walk by the time week 30 comes.I admire you for being able to rest with other children to look after.I have 1 little one and I just don't get the time to rest,she doesn't really understand that I have too and I feel really guilty lying on the couch:(Having a down day today because of this and worried about premature labour!!

On this babs the braxton started at around 14 weeks I think, give or take a day or two. This is my 7th pregnancy (4th baba had some losses over the years as well) so I get very big very quick, always did though. Don't be stressing about preterm labour unless you have medical reasons for it, which if this is your first pregnancy you probably don't. Just enjoy everything (well the good stuff anyway) but do mention them to your doc/midwife at your next app. The only reason i'm at risk of preterm labour is due to the kidney infection not having cleared up yet, but they are keeping a close eye on it. It's only a very small percentage of women who go into preterm labour. The resting is difficult with 3 other kids in the house but my two eldest are both in school and my little one (2 and 10 months) goes up for a 2 hour nap in the afternoons so that's when I usually rest up. Although that's not goin so well today as i've only just moved her into a bed from the cot yesterday lol. Check out your hospital for physio, I know the coombe is offering pregnancy physio and as far as I know it's either free or at a reduced rate. I don't know what hospital you're going to but no harm in asking.
    Rachineire wrote: »
    I finally got proper sleep...WOO! my body is wrecked from being in one position for so long, but i feel so rested. Better enjoy this feeling while it lasts hehe!
    I'm really not feeling like baby is going to wait until due date...is that wishful thinking or mothers intuition?

I woudlnt' discount it Rachinerie. I had that feeling on all of mine and not one did i carry to full term, I'm pretty sure this ones going to be early too, even if all the medical reasons disapper for early inducement/section (low lying placenta etc). I'd be very surprised if I make it past the end of jan let alone to my supposed due date.
    How much longer have you got left?

Meggysmom, I've had the BH on and off for a few weeks now & it's my 2nd Preg.. I also suffer with pelvic pain! It's hard with a little one to run around after & I def know how you feel about having down days cause you can't play with them as much.. But it's only for a few months and then you'll be back to yourself :) I hope the Doctor can shed some light for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

hi girls, for those who have had babies before maybe you can help me. I am 23 weeks now and in the last few days I feel quite crampy and tender sometimes when i sit or move too much. It's not very painful or anything but definitely noticeable and a little uncomfortable. Just wondering if its just more growing and stretching??

yellow hen wrote: »
    hi girls, for those who have had babies before maybe you can help me. I am 23 weeks now and in the last few days I feel quite crampy and tender sometimes when i sit or move too much. It's not very painful or anything but definitely noticeable and a little uncomfortable. Just wondering if its just more growing and stretching??

Sounds normal to me yh. Welcome to the world of babs getting bigger and taking it out on poor mammy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

Thanks tigeress anf thumby.I guess it's just one of those days:(I really want to enjoy this pregnancy,we waited a while for it and swore I wouldn't complain about aches and so on,i'm just hormonal I think today and just want everything to be ok.The aches and pelvic pressure and pain makes the mind go bonkers a bit and puts all sorts of ideas in the head.I must learn to realx more:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Sounds normal to me yh. Welcome to the world of babs getting bigger and taking it out on poor mammy :D

Ah thats grand, suspected as much :)

Funny, when I showered the other night I could see lots of angry red stretch marks. I've been using my biooil morning and night since and they seem to have completely dissappeared for now.....must keep using it!

yellow hen wrote: »

Yeah I had loads of that- and am still getting it well into the third trimester...its just your tummy stretching, things moving around in there. I can't believe your 23 weeks already!

I'm 35 weeks thumby! my consultant was saying to me that I wont be back in for clinic until 38 weeks (which i think is a very long time!) and that I'll be in again at 40 weeks and was telling me they would induce me on my 10th day over due (which would be christmas day :mad::mad::mad:) He told me to just plan to go over because most moms will be over due. But the way i feel I just cant imagine going over! I think im nesting again- I have this urge to get every possible bit and end that we might need for baby asap and cant seem to spare much brain power for anything else! :p

• Advertisement

@meggysmom, yeah the hormones can be a right biatch sometimes, having to explain why you're crying while watchin Undercover Boss is a bit of a strange one ( only time i cry ever is at funerals ffs) lol. Don't worry they will settle down/you get used to them, i'm still not quite sure which it is lol.

@yh, yup and it only gets more frequent from here on in too :D

@rachinerie uugghh you poor thing, being induced on christmas day. I'd be asking them to do it a couple of days earlier than that. But then again maybe the doc doesn't want to spend xmas at home lol.
    Seriously though I would def recommend as much walking as you can manage the next few weeks, nesting and doing the deed as well when you're a little bit closer to the 40 weeks. I swear overdoing the nesting on my first is what broke my waters 4 weeks early. And I still haven't carried full term to date. My other two were both born at 38 weeks and 37+5. Granted I was induced on my last due to oc but even then the hospital couldn't see me carryin past 38 weeks but they couldn't medically leave me any longer as my bile levels were way to high and I had to be induced that day simple as. Hell they left me waiting from 8.30 that morning (my schudled inducement time) until 11.30 that night before they started anything as they had too many walk ins but they couldn't allow me to go home and come back in another day. It just had to be done even though they thought I would have gone myself 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

so how are all the mammy's to be doing? hope ye are all keeping well x x

@meggysmom, yeah the hormones can be a right biatch sometimes, having to explain why you're crying while watchin Undercover Boss is a bit of a strange one ( only time i cry ever is at funerals ffs) lol. Don't worry they will settle down/you get used to them, i'm still not quite sure which it is lol.

@yh, yup and it only gets more frequent from here on in too :D

@rachinerie uugghh you poor thing, being induced on christmas day. I'd be asking them to do it a couple of days earlier than that. But then again maybe the doc doesn't want to spend xmas at home lol.
    Seriously though I would def recommend as much walking as you can manage the next few weeks, nesting and doing the deed as well when you're a little bit closer to the 40 weeks. I swear overdoing the nesting on my first is what broke my waters 4 weeks early. And I still haven't carried full term to date. My other two were both born at 38 weeks and 37+5. Granted I was induced on my last due to oc but even then the hospital couldn't see me carryin past 38 weeks but they couldn't medically leave me any longer as my bile levels were way to high and I had to be induced that day simple as. Hell they left me waiting from 8.30 that morning (my schudled inducement time) until 11.30 that night before they started anything as they had too many walk ins but they couldn't allow me to go home and come back in another day. It just had to be done even though they thought I would have gone myself 2 days later.

Thanks for the advice!! I will definitely be doing all i can in my power to get this baby out well before christmas! I would hate for his birthday to be on christmas or christmas week as well...poor kid will never have a party! I went today to return some things at boots (my OH has great intentions but should not buy baby bits without me being there haha!) and then just went around to a bunch of different shops browsing and walking around until my back wasn't having any more of it! I think that will be the order of most days for me once I'm on maternity leave as the weather is pretty crummy most days!

question...those mirror things for seeing the baby while he is in the rear facing car seat...a good idea or a bad distraction? I can't tell if that would be something that is necessary or not :confused:

Rachineire, we used the mirror in the car and thought it was brilliant! But it an be distracting for a few days (mainly cause you just wanna keep looking at baba) but I got used to it real quick & wouldn't not use it!

Also I hope you have baba befor Xmas Day :) my little man is 27th Dec! It's gonna be a very busy few days at Xmas every year now :)

@Tigress awww, a xmas baby, i'd say that was a fun xmas for ya when ya were waiting so close to the day. I hope I ya weren't too uncomfortable" on xmas day.

@Tigress awww, a xmas baby, i'd say that was a fun xmas for ya when ya were waiting so close to the day. I hope I ya weren't too uncomfortable" on xmas day.

Lol I was due my little fella on Xmas Day last year and I was a nightmare! No one could even look my way without being snapped at :o so it wasn't a good day, I'm sure everyone is dreading being around me again this Xmas haha! He won't know what's going on though :) we're with the in-laws Xmas Eve & doing presents, then Xmas Day at home with presents, then next day with my family & presents then the next day is his 1st birthday & we're having a party for him so even more presents! Then a baby brother will be arriving hopefully soon after..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm 16 weeks tomorrow \0/ and I think I'm feeling movement in the last day or so. I've been so windy at night (tmi :P) that I think I missed the flutters but I've noticed little movements or kicks a few times today.

I think those first experiences are magical. Until they really start to kick you hard then it's not so magical!!

I'm 16 weeks tomorrow \0/ and I think I'm feeling movement in the last day or so. I've been so windy at night (tmi :P) that I think I missed the flutters but I've noticed little movements or kicks a few times today.

I think those first experiences are magical. Until they really start to kick you hard then it's not so magical!!

aww i remember that, it was great! I could feel them late at night when i was super relaxed trying to sleep...little flutters and wiggles. would have missed them if i wasn't concentrating on trying to feel something! (could easily have mistaken it for wind!) but even the hard kicks that hurt are still great...well I think so anyways! :D

I've to go baby shopping with my ex in about 20 mins, this is gonna be an interesting morning...*sob*

• Advertisement

no fun! best of luck with that thumby :(

I have a quick question- had some swelling in my legs and a lot of pain in one ankle last night...I also have some mystery bruises on my lower legs that im not sure how they got there but they don't hurt. Wondering if its anything i should be concerned about or just more odd third trimester stuff that will clear up in a couple of weeks after baby is born?

I have a quick question- had some swelling in my legs and a lot of pain in one ankle last night...I also have some mystery bruises on my lower legs that im not sure how they got there but they don't hurt. Wondering if its anything i should be concerned about or just more odd third trimester stuff that will clear up in a couple of weeks after baby is born?

I get terrible pains in my legs at night and wake with bruises too! I did have to get support tights as they turned into spider veins, just keep an eye & call your Doc if you're worried! Either that or our OH's are poking us during the night :p

Aw best of luck Thumby! Hope the day goes well for you x

I have a Q with the swelling aswell.. I never suffered on my last pregnancy, and in the 2nd tri I kept getting it in my hands which has dispeared thankfully but this morning my legs had really swollen up! It was a nightmare trying to pull my support tights on :( dunno if I should call the Doc.. Sure ill see how the day goes, was only with him yest & everything was fine with BP etc.. Hmmm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I've to go baby shopping with my ex in about 20 mins, this is gonna be an interesting morning...*sob*

Good Luck, I hope it goes well:)

RE: the swelling i'd metion it at yer next appointments girls just to be on the safe side and if they are a lil bit away if it's worrying ye in the meantime just give your gp/hospital a ring and see what they say. It can be nothing but it can also be a sign of pre-eclmapsia (sp?) especially in the 3rd trimester.

As for the baby shopping, physically it went fine but me and him had absolutle screamers in the car on the way over. Well I was the one doing the screaming and he was taking it all. He rightly messed up over the weekend and it came back to bite him right on the ass but i'm the one who ended up getting the brunt of his mess (not from him but from others). So yeah that was fun. New laws have been laid down and heaven help him if he breaks them. On the plus side I have a free pass to say and do what ever the hell i want to him when i'm in labour so i'm thinkin he may be in hospital longer than me hehehehehe....

WE did get a few bits blankets and babygrows etc for the hosptial and he picked out a lovely little going home suit and a pair of the cutest runners for the hospital along with getting the moses basket as well. So I guess that's me officially started with the baby stuff now. lol

How's everyone else doing?

Oh are the leg pains sharp crampy ones? If so sit up(i know easier said than done) and flex your foot backwrds and forwards for a few mins and that should help release the cramps, failing that cloths soaked in hot(ish) water. My mate swears by both of those for her leg pains.

Thanks for the advice ladies....it was more like throbbing pains and a really bad ache in my ankle (now I broke that ankle nearly 10 years ago and i do get pain in it from time to time, especially if its cold out but last night it was UNBEARABLE!) and my feet were quite swollen! I called the maternity just to inquire and she said that I need to go get it checked out at either the regional or my GP- well no fopping way im going to the regional for that! so I went to my GP, everything was fine. He said just to keep an eye on the swelling, my blood pressure is low if anything.
    And thumby i do get the bad cramps in my legs- constantly having to pull my toes back to stop it from getting too bad! I get cramps a lot in my hands as well- makes my fingers go really stiff and stick out awkwardly until i can rub the cramp out! oh the joys of it all! :P

Tigress I would still call just to check...I always feel like its better safe than sorry and they know that your not wasting their time- swelling can be so many things! Hope its all ok!

Thumby- Sounds like you had a stressful morning but I'm glad you gave out to him! Make sure he knows what needs to be priority!! Hopefully you were able to get a lot of the bits and pieces you needed this morning though!

Loads of energy right now! don't know what to do with myself....so i better sit on the couch and watch tv and not overdo it as normal! :D

Thanks for the advice ladies....it was more like throbbing pains and a really bad ache in my ankle (now I broke that ankle nearly 10 years ago and i do get pain in it from time to time, especially if its cold out but last night it was UNBEARABLE!) and my feet were quite swollen! I called the maternity just to inquire and she said that I need to go get it checked out at either the regional or my GP- well no fopping way im going to the regional for that! so I went to my GP, everything was fine. He said just to keep an eye on the swelling, my blood pressure is low if anything.
    And thumby i do get the bad cramps in my legs- constantly having to pull my toes back to stop it from getting too bad! I get cramps a lot in my hands as well- makes my fingers go really stiff and stick out awkwardly until i can rub the cramp out! oh the joys of it all! :P

Tigress I would still call just to check...I always feel like its better safe than sorry and they know that your not wasting their time- swelling can be so many things! Hope its all ok!

Thumby- Sounds like you had a stressful morning but I'm glad you gave out to him! Make sure he knows what needs to be priority!! Hopefully you were able to get a lot of the bits and pieces you needed this morning though!

Loads of energy right now! don't know what to do with myself....so i better sit on the couch and watch tv and not overdo it as normal! :D

Gave out to him was putting it nicely. lmao. But he deserved it. And yeah we got a fair few bits, I let him spend as much as he liked, whereas normally i'd be giving out because i prefer to go 50/50 on everything. But today was his treat anyway but i wasn't going to let him spend over 60/70 quid as it was only supposed to be a few bits and bobs for the babs hospital bag. Grand total was over 200 quid. I'm kinda feeling bad over that now but at the end of the day we would have ended up buying what we bought anyhow as it's all needed. I'm feeling guilty over being bitchy when he was asking my opinion on stuff. I think my response was "i don't care get what you want". But he brought it on himself besides there's plenty of other baby shopping we will be doing and things will be alot better. I will give him dues though, he did pick out some really cute stuff and bought mostly blue too.

How was everyone elses day?

As for that extra energy ya have you can go to mass for me if ya like Rach...

• Advertisement

As for that extra energy ya have you can go to mass for me if ya like Rach...

haha im not catholic so it would be completely lost on me! The only times ive been to a mass have been for funerals and weddings! :P

Advertisement