Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

javagal wrote: »
    Tigeress, can't believe you've only 8 weeks left!
    How old will the other little cutie be then? Are you section again?

I know! It's flown in! N will be 1 in 6 weeks time :) not sure if its a section for sure yet, in on Wed so hoping to have a better idea then! How are you doing?

Thumby that's amazing that you,ve stayed such great friends :) such a relief that he's there for you I'm sure!

Rach I'm very suprised by his job! I'm sure you could contact citizens advise for more information?! As far as I know because there is no way of telling when a baby arrives that they've to be leanient and allow him to leave for his hols when he has too.. I'd def look into it more! Contract or not he still has rights!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Tigeress wrote: »
    Contract or not he still has rights!

Does he though? I thought there was no legal paternity leave in Ireland? http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

Maybe not so! Sorry Rach! It's awful that jobs do that!!

How are you getting on YH?

Tigeress wrote: »
    Maybe not so! Sorry Rach! It's awful that jobs do that!!

How are you getting on YH?

I'm great Tigeress. Have backache on and off but I can manage it. Am just willing the time away to be honest...can't wait to be finished work...am totally sick of it now! We've been trying to start buying things to spread the financial pain so we now have our moses, some babygrows etc. and we bought a bouncer in Smyths at the weekend when there was €10 off. The buggy is the one I'm dreading. What are you getting now with two little ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Well if i was you and had to have a section i'd be telling him to keep stchum about it in work and then call in and use his force majure (sp?) leave and say it was a last min section. It's last min emergency leave when its family related. I'm on my phone so i can't link. Not that i'm recommending that for ye but thats just what i'd do.
    I would def recommend that ya get in touch with cic though.

• Advertisement

Morning yh, tigress.
    Sorry to hear your back is acting up again yh.
    We got started on baby stuff last week. Only went to get babygros etc for the hospital but the ex went on a bit of a spending spree and we came home with the guts of 250 worth lol

Thumby wrote: »
    Well if i was you and had to have a section i'd be telling him to keep stchum about it in work and then call in and use his force majure (sp?) leave and say it was a last min section. It's last min emergency leave when its family related. I'm on my phone so i can't link. Not that i'm recommending that for ye but thats just what i'd do.
    I would def recommend that ya get in touch with cic though.

Actually that's a really good idea and it is a legal entitlement.

Thumby you must have lots of bits from the other kids no? It's still nice to get some new things though :)

I just want Christmas to be here already so I can take two weeks off and relax!

Nooooo yh, xmas is banned from being even mentioned for another couple of weeks in my house. It's my eldests' 13th bday on the 26th of this month so i go into denial about xmas until after that lol.
    I have nothing left from the others hun, aside from the cot i've just moved K out of last week. I was waiting to have my tubes tied when i fell pregnant on the little man. Found out i was pregnant two weeks after i'd done a massive clear out and had gotten rid of all of her baby stuff (she'll be 3 on little/womens xmas), so i've to start from scratch again :-(

I know how you feel with back pain :( mine is killing me the last few weeks, I work in retail too so that's not helping having to stand for hours on end.. Thinking seriously of finishing up in about 2 weeks time and just relaxing till he arrives!
    Thumby that must have been so annoying?? It's typical that you get rid of everything then find out you're expecting :o we have most of the clothes we need for this baba but I'm gonna buy some new babygrows for the hospital :) just because hehe. My plan is to get everything we need this weekend for my hospital bags and get them packed!
    YH I bought the Phil & Teds Vibe for the 2 babies, it's great cause I use it now as a single and then will convert when this little man arrives :) Mothercare allow you to pay off prams week by week if that helps or there's a buggy shop in Tallaght called secondhandbuggyshop.ie and they're meant to be brill! They're on Facebook aswell!
    I'm so uncomfortable now :( I actually cried last night from lack of sleep because I can't get comfy and although there is long left its still a while to go too.. Luckily my other little man sleeps for 13 hours at night so I'm not up with him constantly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Thanks for all of the advice ladies!! Unfortunately because he is contracted he doesn't have all of the rights he would have if he was a permanent employee. Hes already checked things out with his manager and will get time when im in the hospital and as for days off at the beginning when I first get home its a "we'll see" deal. I would rather him not lose his job, work when he needs to work, its just a little scarey for me thats all! I'm sure after its all said and done everything will work out for the best though :)

Thumby I would have been gutted if I had just finished giving all my baby stuff away and bam! there's baby! haha I guess thats just life :rolleyes: Thats ok, this little baby will get all the new stuff for the last go around!

Tigress I know how you feel- I had a night like that last week where I was so uncomfortable I just laid in bed and cried! (and then thought 5 more weeks of this crap?? no thanks!) I work retail too and have another week left before I'm done. Never thought I'd say this but I can't wait!

YH I know a lot of people who got prams off adverts.ie and donedeal.ie It can be hit and miss but you can also find absolute steals for next to nothing! I'm keeping an eye out for a second baby bouncer myself at the moment :P

• Advertisement

Rachineire wrote: »
    YH I know a lot of people who got prams off adverts.ie and donedeal.ie It can be hit and miss but you can also find absolute steals for next to nothing! I'm keeping an eye out for a second baby bouncer myself at the moment :P

I'm watching both of those sites alright. We had found a second hand bouncer and it was €25 but the one we wanted in Smyths was on offer and then with an extra €10 off, we got it for €40 so was happy with that. OH says he really doesnt want a second hand buggy for our first baby...I sort of understand that but I also don't want to throw away money. Kealys told us that if we did go with the bugaboo, they have a really good resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

yellow hen wrote: »
    I'm watching both of those sites alright. We had found a second hand bouncer and it was €25 but the one we wanted in Smyths was on offer and then with an extra €10 off, we got it for €40 so was happy with that. OH says he really doesnt want a second hand buggy for our first baby...I sort of understand that but I also don't want to throw away money. Kealys told us that if we did go with the bugaboo, they have a really good resale value.

YH have you any idea if Kealys have a payment plan option? Was going to go in for a mooch in the next few weeks and would rather be able to pay for it that way especially for the likes of uppababy or bugaboo. That way I can only bring it home when it's paid for so it won't be sitting looking at me :D

Digs wrote: »
    YH have you any idea if Kealys have a payment plan option? Was going to go in for a mooch in the next few weeks and would rather be able to pay for it that way especially for the likes of uppababy or bugaboo. That way I can only bring it home when it's paid for so it won't be sitting looking at me :D

We're the same, the uppababy and the bugaboo suited us best. The girl we talked to said they will hold the item for us (even if I go well overdue). You can put a fully refundable deposit down anytime and then pay when you can. We didnt get into the details of the payment plan but it sounded pretty casual.

Ah girls i went insane! It's typical my luck though. Ah sure i wouldn't change being preggers now for anything.
    Try smyths for buggies. I'm going with the dimples duo for the kiddies. It's multi changeble positionwise, suitable from birth can be used as a single as well as a double accessories come with it too. All for 300 quid.
    For single ones that don't break the bank i'd suggest graco. I've used them on all of mine. Full travel system in smyths is around 190 atm i think.

@thumby, did you use the graco much for walking? I do alot of walking and although its footpaths etc, it's up and down and a bit bumpy so i wanted decent suspension and also air/foam filled tyres. I'm just curirous to know when people recommend a buggy where they used it. I'm still open to ideas at this stage.

@yh. I'd be out walking 5 out of 7 days of the week. Well not so much the last little while but before now i'd be walking my daughter in it alot. I live in a town in kildare and the paths,roads etc aren't excatly the best. I've never had a problem with suspension or being able to move around in a crowd. While bigger than a stroller the frame is light and it's also very compactable for the boot etc. Like i said i've used graco on all of mine from the day they were born until the stopped needing to be in a buggy. The only reason i'm not going with a graco this time is because i can't find one that suits my needs with having the two kiddies.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I find our graco a nightmare for walking but it has plastic wheels,the petit zia is not a bad compromise it is what I settles on when I needed a stroller for the creche.
    I am so tired and so frustrated with not being able to bend.
    I so want to buy stuff but with a 3 and 1 year old we need nothing:(
    I treated myself to an Ergo sling from adverts.ie and my 1 year old insisted that she "buy suzie for baba bump" suzie is what she named her soother that she may never part with, she is allowed have it in bed at night,I wasn't going to say no to that request:)
    If it is a boy I get to go shopping!!

Fingers crossed its a boy so moonbeam :-) pm me your addy and i'll send the boys round to give ya hand putting on your socks/shoes. They're well used to it now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Haha my oh has had to work early all week and yesterday I had to put on my socks by myself and it was next to impossible!! So this morning before he left he woke me up and put my socks on me before he left haha!!

Awww bless him. Thats so sweet rach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Still feeling a bit tired to do a proper update but here is Sam at 11 hours old.

hsvwhf.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Oh congrats iguana x such a cutie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

He's a little beaut Iguana, massive congratulations x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

He's fab Iguana, congrats! Hope you have a speedy recovery

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Iguana - he is gorgeous:)

Thumby - My 1 year old is trained!! I have slip on bots or bots with zips and she puts them on me and closes the zips lol

Oh iguana, he is so beautiful. I hope these first few days with him are so precious :)

Awww iguana he's gorgeous. Congrats again. Hope you feel better soon x.
    @moonbeam i love it. Wanna swap toddlers? My nearly 3 yr old keeps takin mine off. Apparently its hilarious watching me tryin to put them back on.

Aww iguana he is so handsome :) congrats again! Take care of yourself and loads if rest hun! A section is a long recovery x

Lol moonbeam maybe you could train my 10.5month old? I can't wear slippers cause he robs them constantly!

In the hospital for a check up tomorrow.. Not looking forward to the 2 hour wait for 5 mins with the Doc! I'm hoping she can shed some light on this hair loss :o I'll be bald in a few weeks of it keeps up!

Tigress what hospital are you in? If ya don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

congrats iguana,a bouncing healthy baby boy-wonderful:)

Advertisement