Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Congrats Iguana, Hes beautiful! Hope you are doing ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Thumby wrote: »
    Tigress what hospital are you in? If ya don't mind me asking?

Portlaoise Hospital :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Ah ok. Well lil bit of advice, if your consultant is dr. Doyle make sure you're very clear and firm with her. She can be a bit of a stickler shall we say?.

Thumby wrote: »
    Ah ok. Well lil bit of advice, if your consultant is dr. Doyle make sure you're very clear and firm with her. She can be a bit of a stickler shall we say?.

Oh don't I know it! My sister was with her during her pregnancies years ago and warned me too.. She has been very nice so far and is answering my questions! Are you in Portlaoise too? Had a check up today and he's measuring within the normal range woo! Hoping to be able to do a VBAC rather than a section this time but sure only time will tell.. Don't have to go back for 4 weeks either :D he's still lying transverse though!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Huge congratulations on the safe arrival of baby Samuel, Iguana. :)

Hope mammy and baby are getting plenty of rest after all their hard work.

• Advertisement

I'm starting to get really nervous about labour! I'm hoping for a VBAC but in saying that I know how a section will go.. I've no idea what a normal delivery is like and I'm starting to panic! It's like being a 1st time Mum all over again.. I guess what worries me the most is, if I go natural and then he's too big and gets stuck or stressed and I've to go for an emergency cesarian! I had so many complications afterwards last time.. Hormonnes and nerves do not go well together!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

*hugs* you will be fine.
    They will keep a close eye on you for a vbac and an eye on the size of baba.

I have had 2 fast straightforward deliveries and I am nervous too:( I udnno where we will be ,what if it is faster then 45 minutes?what if the girls are in the car and have to hear it?what if there is no one to look after the girls?what if it is terible?

aagghhhh

The truth is we have no idea until it happens:(

Thanks Moonbeam!
    Your deliveries are so fast I can only imagine how you feel about the impending labour! Did you get the epi or go pain free on all of yours?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

no, pain relief for me even if I wanted it there would not have been time last time.
    It was unbelievably painful and I would not like a repeat of it but would not like a long labour either!!

no, pain relief for me even if I wanted it there would not have been time last time.
    I am more afraid of the epi then giving birth...
    It was unbelievably painful and I would not like a repeat of it but would not like a long labour either!!

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I am more afraid of the epi then giving birth...

Wow that's amazing! Fair play! I dot which I'd prefer myself! I'll def be taking the drugs this time either way haha! I'd say you were back in your feet pretty quickly after though? I think I was 5 weeks before I could drive after the section! At least you know it'll be over quickly?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 matty876

Tigeress wrote: »
    Wow that's amazing! Fair play! I dot which I'd prefer myself! I'll def be taking the drugs this time either way haha! I'd say you were back in your feet pretty quickly after though? I think I was 5 weeks before I could drive after the section! At least you know it'll be over quickly?!

yeh, those drugs are crazy that they give u! :D scooby doos!

I was not off my feet at all:-)
    I dunno how I could cope after a c section with my 2 other kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm like you moonbeam; I'm more terrified of the epi, the paralysis it causes and the lack of control of my body than the pain. Luckily I had a relatively short labour (7hrs) and a very high pain threshold (according to my Physio!).

I'm really hoping I'll be as lucky second time around. My mother had very quick labours on all 5 of us so she never had time to get the epi. Most times she barely made it to the hospital :P

How Strange I really hope your second delivery goes as well! I'm such a whimp when it comes to pain! I'll totally be like those crazy women on the tv show One Born Every Minute, who scream the place down & are hysterical lol! I guess there's no way of knowing what's gonna happen.. Scary!

How Strange I really hope your second delivery goes as well! I'm such a whimp when it comes to pain! I'll totally be like those crazy women on the tv show One Born Every Minute, who scream the place down & are hysterical lol! I guess there's no way of knowing what's gonna happen.. Scary!

haha I worry that this will be me too- particularly when I get a strong braxton hicks or some other quite painful jolt...then I think, jesus how much worse will the labour be??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Rachineire wrote: »

haha I worry that this will be me too- particularly when I get a strong braxton hicks or some other quite painful jolt...then I think, jesus how much worse will the labour be??

I am beginning to get v nervous about what's ahead. I'm only just 24 weeks and have felt rotten all day. Went for a family dinner earlier and have felt sick since. Belly is like a hard balloon that has grown exponentially in the last two days. I feel like I just entered a whole new phase of pregnancy and I'm not liking it. :(

Oh Rach what are we like lol! Ah sure it's the one time we can scream our heads off and not feel bad about it lol!

Aww YH :( the 2nd trimester is meant to be the easiest but I've personally found they're all hard in their own ways (trimesters) feeling a little down is normal but if ya start to feel worse make sure you see your Doc! Yeah my bump is a solid lump too lol! Wait till those little limbs start sticking out every which way :p I swear I'm growing an octopus!

yellow hen wrote: »

I am beginning to get v nervous about what's ahead. I'm only just 24 weeks and have felt rotten all day. Went for a family dinner earlier and have felt sick since. Belly is like a hard balloon that has grown exponentially in the last two days. I feel like I just entered a whole new phase of pregnancy and I'm not liking it. :(

Sorry don't mean to make you feel nervous. I tend to not think about the labour too much. It's something that I just think, ok it's gonna happen ill deal with it one step at a go and everything's going to be ok! It helps me not stress about it!
    Second trimester was great but it certainly wasn't all sunshine and roses! Your body is going through some majjjjooorrr changes and baby is growing leaps and bounds! Your tummy gets sore while the bump grows and it takes some getting used to the bump thats for sure! Just take it easy and be kind to yourself, being pregnant is no easy job for any of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. Pregnancy really isn't like it's shown in the movies! Iv found all of it hard in its own way, or bits of each trimester hard anyway. No one ever really tells you how tough it can be until you're already preggers!!

While im not exactly looking forward to it, The way I think about labour is: if it was that bad, no one would ever have more than one child. A colleague told me to think of the weakest most complainey woman iv ever met who has has a baby and know that if she got through it, you'll be fine.
    And the best thing is, you get your beautiful prize at the end of it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Tigerton wrote: »
    A colleague told me to think of the weakest most complainey woman iv ever met who has has a baby and know that if she got through it, you'll be fine.
    And the best thing is, you get your beautiful prize at the end of it!!!

That's actually pretty good advice! Did any of you do the fake contraction with ice in your ante-natal class? In mine they give you a little cardboard bowl with crushed ice in it and you have to hold a handful of ice it in your hand for a minute. The midwife times it so tells you when you "peak" at 30 seconds in and you breath through it focusing elsewhere, then when the minute is up, you drop it and dry your hands.

Now, I was induced so my contractions were stronger than natural ones apparently, but the other day I was washing mushrooms with the cold tap that got really really cold and my hands were frozen by the end of it, and in hindsight, its a pretty good indication of what a contraction was like. Tough but bearable!

I found a great position during labour for contractions - I couldnt move off the bed because I was hooked up to the drip and the monitor, otherwise I'd have been bouncing like a loon on my ball. Unfortunately for me, I found it as I was getting in position to get the epidural (its actually the position they put you in to help you keep still for the epi), and wish I had it hours before as I had been lying on my side and it wasnt giving me any relief at all. Here is what I did:

Your partner sits on the stool/chair beside the bed, and you sit on the edge facing him, with your legs either side of him. Shuffle your bum away towards the other side of the bed so your bump is resting on the bed between your legs. Have him hold your forearms or elbows, and you do the same, and you can rest your head on his shoulder between contractions or get hugs and kisses for your hard work :). You can strain against his arms then when the contractions come and he lends his strength to the whole thing too.

I had my biggest contractions that way according to the trace and they didnt hurt much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Just rang Murphys pram shop Rathcoole and got answering machine, they have closed down. Thats a real shame, very helpful friendly staff there I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

just popping in to say hello and to see how everyone is keeping x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

@rachel, you're not making me nervous at all. I'm not really that nervous about the labour yet although I prob will be closer to the time. I just got a dAwning realisation how uncomfortable I'm going to be as I keep growing :o I still love it though and wouldn't swap it or the world! :)

All's good here Betsie! How are you?

My back is breaking at the mo :( finding work just too hard now so I'm heading to the Doc tomorrow and going out sick for the last few weeks.. I work in retail and Yey don't have chairs for me to sit on and I'm still expected to stand all day and do deliveries (light weight stuff) with a lot of bending so I've had enough..

Neyite wrote: »
    That's actually pretty good advice! Did any of you do the fake contraction with ice in your ante-natal class? In mine they give you a little cardboard bowl with crushed ice in it and you have to hold a handful of ice it in your hand for a minute. The midwife times it so tells you when you "peak" at 30 seconds in and you breath through it focusing elsewhere, then when the minute is up, you drop it and dry your hands.

Now, I was induced so my contractions were stronger than natural ones apparently, but the other day I was washing mushrooms with the cold tap that got really really cold and my hands were frozen by the end of it, and in hindsight, its a pretty good indication of what a contraction was like. Tough but bearable!

I found a great position during labour for contractions - I couldnt move off the bed because I was hooked up to the drip and the monitor, otherwise I'd have been bouncing like a loon on my ball. Unfortunately for me, I found it as I was getting in position to get the epidural (its actually the position they put you in to help you keep still for the epi), and wish I had it hours before as I had been lying on my side and it wasnt giving me any relief at all. Here is what I did:

Your partner sits on the stool/chair beside the bed, and you sit on the edge facing him, with your legs either side of him. Shuffle your bum away towards the other side of the bed so your bump is resting on the bed between your legs. Have him hold your forearms or elbows, and you do the same, and you can rest your head on his shoulder between contractions or get hugs and kisses for your hard work :). You can strain against his arms then when the contractions come and he lends his strength to the whole thing too.

I had my biggest contractions that way according to the trace and they didnt hurt much at all.

Ladies thats some great advice- tigerton I will definitely be thinking that about the weakest lady you know! I love my mom to bits but she is a whinger if I ever met one...woman could get a papercut and moan for weeks and she was in back labour with my older sister for 36 hours!

Neyite, Thanks for the tips- i think i will try out that ice thing! i didnt stick out the antenatal classes. probably foolish on my part, the first one really upset me though and I hated going without my OH and he couldn't get scheduled off for any of them! I will definately try your advice about leaning on the OH during labour, sounds like a good way of getting and giving support to each other during the long process!

@yellowhen, yes you definately get more uncomfortable as it goes on, some days are better than others but you get used to it, thankfully you don't get the HUGE bump over night so you have a little time to grow into it. I do miss getting up with ease and seeing my feet though haha! Has your baby had the hiccups yet? its one of the cutest things ever, i mean, it can get slightly annoying sometimes, like when I'm trying to sleep and he has the hiccups, but still really cute :D

@Betsie- doing well, getting impatient and wishing away my time!! tired of being tired and I get jealous when I watch people walk carefree as I hobble along down the aisles in the grocery store lol! How is your LO doing? an August baby right? Sleeping good for you?

All's good here Betsie! How are you?

My back is breaking at the mo :( finding work just too hard now so I'm heading to the Doc tomorrow and going out sick for the last few weeks.. I work in retail and Yey don't have chairs for me to sit on and I'm still expected to stand all day and do deliveries (light weight stuff) with a lot of bending so I've had enough..

Ahh i totally feel your pain Tigress- don't know how you lasted as long! aren't they meant to change your role if you are doing something more strenous like doing deliveries?? they are meant to supply a chair for you and you aren't meant to be lifting things off the floor and ect. That being said I got a chair but thats about it. I work retail too and even with a chair its not really practical to be sitting down during the entire shift or even most of it. It will be much better for you to get signed off, hope it works out for you! My last day of work is next wednesday and its not even a full day, just 5 hours. I probably won't even do anything while I'm there haha- as far as I'm concerned I'm already on my leave...in my mind at least!

Hope you get it all sorted and can rest up for baby!

Thanks Rach :) my Doc has been telling me to leave for ages so there won't be a prob with a sick note today! I love my job but they're not very good with pregnancy! If I sat down for 5 mins the manager would say I can't be just sitting there that I need to be doing something! I plan on getting some stuff around the house done slowly lol and spending time with my little boy as he won't be an only child for much longer!
    How far are you now? You must be close!

I can't believe your manager would say that to you! Wonder how he/she would feel if they were pregnant! If he doesnt want you sitting doing nothing then give you something you can do while sitting to rest your feet/back!! Grrr!!

Yeah I'm getting close, 36+2!! Sitting in the doctors office now...man these OAP they must sit up all night waiting for the doctors office to open, got here nearly a half hour early and I'm still not first! Had a lady who actually parked in front of the gate, blocking the office and when I waddled up jumped out shouting "I have high blood pressure, i'm first!!" **sigh** no wonder! :p

• Advertisement

Lol Rach don't get me started on them! I swear they can be so bloody rude! I hope your check up goes well! Not long left at all for you :) is baby engagged yet?

Advertisement