Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Your lucky you havent been hit, I know a young couple, with a huge mortgage, he got left go and the redundancy deal was bullsh!t and she only earns €250 a week and they are due a baby in the summer!

I am a student (year off to have baby) as is my OH, but we are not letting having a baby get in the way of education, we need good careers do we can provide properly for it! Some people have said that it would be more in my OH line to drop out and get a job, but with jobs scarce that isnt really a good idea, plus he is flying through his medicine degree (all honours in his exams, so proud of him!:D) and as we agree, though he cant do alot finacially now, when he finishes his degree he will be more than able to provide for baby!

MIL are a pain though! Seriously, they think because its not their daughter they are less likely to help IMO. But sure I have been told what names are suitable and what arent and all I said back was with your lack of finacial and supportive input you dont get any say! She is going mental we want the baby if a boy named after the paternal grandfather, gets her very jealous but my OH hero worshipped his dad so its the only logical choice!

I know you have another bit to go yet but have you started your hospital appointments yet, how are you finding them, where is your closest hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Your lucky you havent been hit, I know a young couple, with a huge mortgage, he got left go and the redundancy deal was bullsh!t and she only earns €250 a week and they are due a baby in the summer!

I am a student (year off to have baby) as is my OH, but we are not letting having a baby get in the way of education, we need good careers do we can provide properly for it! Some people have said that it would be more in my OH line to drop out and get a job, but with jobs scarce that isnt really a good idea, plus he is flying through his medicine degree (all honours in his exams, so proud of him!:D) and as we agree, though he cant do alot finacially now, when he finishes his degree he will be more than able to provide for baby!

MIL are a pain though! Seriously, they think because its not their daughter they are less likely to help IMO. But sure I have been told what names are suitable and what arent and all I said back was with your lack of finacial and supportive input you dont get any say! She is going mental we want the baby if a boy named after the paternal grandfather, gets her very jealous but my OH hero worshipped his dad so its the only logical choice!

I know you have another bit to go yet but have you started your hospital appointments yet, how are you finding them, where is your closest hospital?

Ya I know! It's really scary for some families! We've been really lucky so far. Bought the house at the right time with help from the parents so we don't have a huge mortgage (it's big enough but not huge!). And the jobs are going well enough. His is probably more dodgy than mine but he's been there since he left school so he'll get a good payout if that day does come to tide him over.

Your OH should definitely stuck at the degree. I know it'll be tough but it'll be really worth it in the end. And hopefully you'll both be so preoccupied with the baby that it'll make time fly by and it won't be too long before you're more comfortable. I sat my accountancy finals in Dec, expecting the results in just over a week. Sat four which is tough enough for those exams so am kinda expecting to go down in 1. So i'll have to do that either in June while pregnant or next Dec after the baby is born. Even though it'd be easier not to do it and prob wouldn't effect my job I want to get it.

I have my first hospital visit on Thursday! Really looking forward to it, but kinda nervous too. I just want to make sure everything is ok. Even though I've had an easy ride of it so far really I'm still worried in case something is wrong. I'm in Cork so have to go to CUMH. Have heard mixed reports. Suppose you can get lucky and unlucky. I'm totally freaked out about labour though. I know absolutely nothing about it! And reading the stuff on the birth plans thread made me realise I'm totally clueless!!

Are you all set??

I was in Cork for a while, went for an emergency scan there at 8 weeks and I have to be honest the girl in charge of giving me my ultrasound spoke to me like I was dirt and never once acknowledged my OH's existance! But then agai that could have been her having a bad day or she could just have been a b!tch in general. I was supposed to continue my visits there but I moved to Dublin. I was talking to the people in charge of antenatal care and truthfully I found them to be lovely.

I was in Cork for a while, went for an emergency scan there at 8 weeks and I have to be honest the girl in charge of giving me my ultrasound spoke to me like I was dirt and never once acknowledged my OH's existance! But then agai that could have been her having a bad day or she could just have been a b!tch in general. I was supposed to continue my visits there but I moved to Dublin. I was talking to the people in charge of antenatal care and truthfully I found them to be lovely.

Well I'll see what happens Thurs anyway. It's not like you have a choice in Cork anyway. I'd assume the majority are absolutely fine. I hope the person doing the ultrasound is nice cuz neither myself or my OH have any idea what to expect.

Well dont let anyone make you feel like we did that day! As I said already, the ante-natal midwife sounded absolutely lovely as did the receptionists, it just seemed to be this one ultrasound girl! I have another appointment in the early afternoon tomorrow, towards the end of the pregnancy they force you back weekly:) If my baby's head still hasn't engaged they are going to decide whether or not I get a c-section! Baby is due Thursday so it will be an interesting visit:) I love my midwife, she is so nice and always makes me feel at ease!

Is your OH going with you, mine couldnt go to my first few with me because of college, but he has made an effort to go to every one he could! I think I shocked the midwives and doctors because I went in with no one, I wasn't scared to go alone:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Good luck in the hospital tomorrow:)
    I hope the baby has turned and is getting ready for his/her entrance in to this world:)

Well dont let anyone make you feel like we did that day! As I said already, the ante-natal midwife sounded absolutely lovely as did the receptionists, it just seemed to be this one ultrasound girl! I have another appointment in the early afternoon tomorrow, towards the end of the pregnancy they force you back weekly:) If my baby's head still hasn't engaged they are going to decide whether or not I get a c-section! Baby is due Thursday so it will be an interesting visit:) I love my midwife, she is so nice and always makes me feel at ease!

Is your OH going with you, mine couldnt go to my first few with me because of college, but he has made an effort to go to every one he could! I think I shocked the midwives and doctors because I went in with no one, I wasn't scared to go alone:)

Good luck today Wolf, hope everything goes well for you!

Yup, my OH is coming with me, which reminds me I need to text him to remind him to get a half day Thurs. Men!!

Well work are obliged to give him a certain amount of time off though how much exactly I am unsure. But then again men are very easily distracted, I was in Centra with my guy last night, he was talking away then noticed the mens magazines and completely forgot he was even talking! :rolleyes:

Thanks moonbeam and goawayouttadat, thankfully baby decided it would get itself sorted, so have to play the waiting game now! Though my midwife thinks I might be v close! All I can do is have the bags packed and sit back and wait:) Thankfully I have boards keeping me busy:D

Ah that's great news wolf! Must be so exciting that the baby is nearly here. Can't imagine being at that stage :D

I'm in shock at the size of myself, i was always very skinny so not being able to wear my favourite clothes or see my hip tattoo has been very weird for me. i left it very late to start using Bio Oil so I have alot of stretch marks, my suggestion is find a cream that works for you quickly before they start getting red!

It is so scary sitting around and getting small pains, then waiting a ehile to see if its contractions or Braxton Hicks!!!!

• Advertisement

I'm in shock at the size of myself, i was always very skinny so not being able to wear my favourite clothes or see my hip tattoo has been very weird for me. i left it very late to start using Bio Oil so I have alot of stretch marks, my suggestion is find a cream that works for you quickly before they start getting red!

It is so scary sitting around and getting small pains, then waiting a ehile to see if its contractions or Braxton Hicks!!!!

I bought my first pair of maternity jeans online the other day.... scary! When should one start using Bio Oil?? I hadn't even thought of that. I'm bloody useless!!

Are you and your OH all set for baby?

I'm afraid my OH isnt going to realise what is going on til the baby arrives, he's sort of in another world at the moment, he is studying medicine so he is constantly studying! I think when he hears the baby crying it may actually hit him!:D:rolleyes:

Yes maternity pants are a great thing, I didnt get a pair for 5 months even though I was quite big quite quickly (I was going to college, sitting down and opening my jeans buttons under my hoodie-not at all comfy) They suggest using those stretch mark remedies in early pregnancy so to allow skin to become more elastic, I have only been using it a month and I had terrible stretch marks and I am in shock at how well they have faded, Bio Oil is slightly pricey but I am swearing by it now!

I'm afraid my OH isnt going to realise what is going on til the baby arrives, he's sort of in another world at the moment, he is studying medicine so he is constantly studying! I think when he hears the baby crying it may actually hit him!:D:rolleyes:

Yes maternity pants are a great thing, I didnt get a pair for 5 months even though I was quite big quite quickly (I was going to college, sitting down and opening my jeans buttons under my hoodie-not at all comfy) They suggest using those stretch mark remedies in early pregnancy so to allow skin to become more elastic, I have only been using it a month and I had terrible stretch marks and I am in shock at how well they have faded, Bio Oil is slightly pricey but I am swearing by it now!

Ah I think that's just men. I can promise you now my fella will be exactly the same! I told him I want him to take 2 weeks off work when the baby is born and he was looking at me stupid :) Wait till he has to weight hand on foot on both of us.

I've really started to feel tight in my jeans in work this week. I've been wearing one or two baggy pairs for the last two weeks so didn't really notice it until I threw on a normal pair on Monday. Thankfully work is casual enough so I'll get away with baggy/stretchy jeans! Must by Bio Oil... so don't want bad stretch marks!

Yes the stretch marks really upset me at first, I always loved having a good stomach, when I got the news I was pregnant in shock it was one of the first things I said was "and I just got my stomach completely flat!" Needless to say the doctor just looked at me!:D

I have been using Bio Oil for a month and I thought it was doing nothing, but my OH said to me last night that the biggest strchmark (where my bellybutton piercing was) is almost completely faded, which when I got to the mirrior was true so needless to say I was on a high going to sleep last night!

Yes I was lucky with college too, since youdon't do any placement in the first semester of first year nursing I didn't need to get uniforms and I was able to wear what I wanted to college! A&F tracksuit bottoms look stylish but were comfy too.

Just back from the first hospital appointment... everything went really well. The first scan is really cool in fairness. I couldn't see the screen at first but I could see my OH smiling away. The picture we got wasn't great cuz the girl doing the ultrasound said the baby wasn't lying in the best position for a picture.

Just back from the first hospital appointment... everything went really well. The first scan is really cool in fairness. I couldn't see the screen at first but I could see my OH smiling away. The picture we got wasn't great cuz the girl doing the ultrasound said the baby wasn't lying in the best position for a picture.

Glad you had a good day:D:), I hope your girl was nicer than mine! Yes we wanted to know our babys gender but baby decided it wanted us to wait and see!my pictures aren't great either but seeing that someone is alive and growing in itself was enough for me!

I am so uncomfortable here at the moment, I have cramps and back ache, waiting for the ramps to be regularly timed so I cn go to hospital. Hopefully baby will be born soon!:D

Glad you had a good day:D:), I hope your girl was nicer than mine! Yes we wanted to know our babys gender but baby decided it wanted us to wait and see!my pictures aren't great either but seeing that someone is alive and growing in itself was enough for me!

I am so uncomfortable here at the moment, I have cramps and back ache, waiting for the ramps to be regularly timed so I cn go to hospital. Hopefully baby will be born soon!:D

Ya she was nice. Not the nicest in the world but friendly enough. The midwife was really, really nice and very helpful. All over now for a few weeks :)

You poor thing! Hopefully it'll be over soon and you'll have a smallie to look after! I actually kinda wish I was at the stage. I'm not a big fan of the whole pregnancy thing :)

It is really annoying this whole you cant your pregnant thing! I couldnt go to any of the class parties in college because the inconsiderate idiots always went to clubs rather than just going for food or something!

Yes I found the midwives in Cork lovely! Even though I was only on the phone to them they were nothing but kind and polite:)

How are you getting on today wolf? Any movement?

Question for all the experienced people... how big are you at around 21/22 weeks? Myself and the OH are thinking about going to Rome for a weekend around that time and I'm just wondering if it's worth it. Will I be still be small enough to be comfortable and enjoy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Popel

I'm 22-23 weeks at the moment and my belly is starting to make itself known if i want to fly up stairs quickly, or walk at a good speed for more than a few minutes, but i'd say it's definitely small enough still to have a holiday almost like normal. Just be more aware about getting access to toilets, cos my bladder has started demanding more attention again, after the break from the first trimester.

If it was me, I'd go. But I wouldn't make a jam-packed itinerary. And have fun!!

• Advertisement

Popel wrote: »
    I'm 22-23 weeks at the moment and my belly is starting to make itself known if i want to fly up stairs quickly, or walk at a good speed for more than a few minutes, but i'd say it's definitely small enough still to have a holiday almost like normal. Just be more aware about getting access to toilets, cos my bladder has started demanding more attention again, after the break from the first trimester.

If it was me, I'd go. But I wouldn't make a jam-packed itinerary. And have fun!!

Ok thanks!

There is the possibility we could go about 4 weeks earlier so I might look into that just to be safe. It'd prob be a bit more difficult getting the time off work though. Hmmm decisions :)

Hey, baby decided that it was going to have me freaking out all day yesterday. Nothing all day today, I am going crazy, I just wish I could know when the baby was going to arrive so I could plan my weekend accordingly! If I knew baby wouldn't be here this weekend I would just go to the cinema or something!

I went to England during that time, its fine going on holidays, as long as you take it easy if you feel tired, and as Popel said, know where to find a bathroom if it is needed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Hey, baby decided that it was going to have me freaking out all day yesterday. Nothing all day today, I am going crazy, I just wish I could know when the baby was going to arrive so I could plan my weekend accordingly! If I knew baby wouldn't be here this weekend I would just go to the cinema or something!

Make plans - surefire way to make baby come!

Quackles wrote: »
    Make plans - surefire way to make baby come!

Quackles, never have truer words been spoken!:D

Only thing is I'll get all excited at my plans and then i wont be able to do them:) ah well at least I'd have baby here! God still haven't sorted a girls name!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Baby boy born yesterday morning in Holles St! Joe is 7lb 1oz. All doing well!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Congratulations and well done :D:D:D

Great name, Joe, Love it. May he live long and prosper. Best wishes to all the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Congratulations arctic tree...
    Great excitement ahead for you..

How are you getting on Grawns? I hope you are taking it easy!!

Congrats artic tree!!

How you doin wolf??

I've been struck down with a nice dose of bronchitis so the GP has me on antibiotics and haven't moved from the bed all day. So bored!

Hope everyone is happy and healthy:D:)

goawayouttadat, I know what its like to be sick and pregnant, Crappier than any other time, take it easy, I know its boring in bed but I know you probably have feck all energy, I felt drained and unable for anything!

I am so annoyed, I really thought I had movement on Thursday and now I am just waiting around again:( On the up side, and I know these can't be taken as gospel, but I read online all the usual signs that labour is close and I have some of them:) So fingers crossed I wont be waiting and have to be induced!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hope everyone is happy and healthy:D:)

goawayouttadat, I know what its like to be sick and pregnant, Crappier than any other time, take it easy, I know its boring in bed but I know you probably have feck all energy, I felt drained and unable for anything!

I am so annoyed, I really thought I had movement on Thursday and now I am just waiting around again:( On the up side, and I know these can't be taken as gospel, but I read online all the usual signs that labour is close and I have some of them:) So fingers crossed I wont be waiting and have to be induced!

Those pesky babies!! The suspense!!

I didn't have that problem... after my waters broke... I had no pains... and was induced the following day... had contractions, but they were brought on with oxytocin drip!!

Advertisement